[Today at 05:23:29 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:46:35 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Wojo's Leash  (Read 56853 times)

Goose

• All American
Re: Wojo's Leash
« Reply #50 on: November 17, 2015, 05:49:39 PM »
At this point I believe the jury really is out on Wojo as a coach. He might end up being a top tier coach or out the door in two years. His recruiting is solid, but the class this year is very top heavy and not a program changer. Hope he delivers the goods, but not placing any wagers on his future success at this moment.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #51 on: November 17, 2015, 06:01:42 PM »
At this point I believe the jury really is out on Wojo as a coach. He might end up being a top tier coach or out the door in two years. His recruiting is solid, but the class this year is very top heavy and not a program changer. Hope he delivers the goods, but not placing any wagers on his future success at this moment.

Just don't want him to be majerus 2.0 where all the tremendous success comes after his time here.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Goose

• All American
« Reply #52 on: November 17, 2015, 06:07:20 PM »
My biggest issue with the hire was the length of time he wax an assistant. Usually there is a reason why it takes so long. I have no doubt he had great interview and the type of guy MU wants a coach. Do not know if that means success follows.

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #53 on: November 17, 2015, 06:33:55 PM »
This thread is ridiculous.

Spencer Pratt

• Walk-On
« Reply #54 on: November 17, 2015, 06:35:06 PM »
Does anyone else get the feeling from watching Wojo on the sidelines that he "over-coaches" these guys during games?  I understand we are the 3rd youngest team in the country and all, but isn't the micro managing of every cut/play/shot what practice time is for?  I have always felt that the best coaches in the country let their teams play loose on gamedays, which includes making mistakes and noy getting the short leash when they do so.  Our guys look timid as hell out there.  We undoubtedly have talent and athleticism on this roster, young as it might be....I just wish Wojo would let them loose a little more!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #55 on: November 17, 2015, 06:35:24 PM »
This thread has no place for another ~4 years. (per chicos)
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #56 on: November 17, 2015, 06:36:09 PM »
He was at the BEST basketball program in the country.  He was probably getting paid as much as many head coaches.  He was working for one of the best basketball minds that has ever lived the last few years as his first assistant .  AND there was a strong feeling that Coach K "might" have to retire due to health concerns (back).  You certainly can't hold sticking around that situation for a few extra years against him.  In fact most would say it was "wise patience".  I to believe the jury is still out on Wojo but I wouldn't use the fact he stayed at Duke extra long as a reason to be concerned.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #57 on: November 17, 2015, 06:42:31 PM »
He was probably getting paid as much as many head coaches. 

This is how u say... not a good guess. 

He was not. Peep the 990's bruh.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #58 on: November 17, 2015, 06:43:02 PM »
Just don't want him to be majerus 2.0 where all the tremendous success comes after his time here.

Majerus needed to leave and Marquette needed him to leave.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #59 on: November 17, 2015, 06:44:07 PM »
My biggest issue with the hire was the length of time he wax an assistant. Usually there is a reason why it takes so long. I have no doubt he had great interview and the type of guy MU wants a coach. Do not know if that means success follows.

Did he go after many jobs prior to Marquette?  I was under the impression that he did not.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #60 on: November 17, 2015, 07:11:00 PM »

Majerus needed to leave and Marquette needed him to leave.

Why? Because we really wanted the rest of the 80s and early 90s to suck?
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #61 on: November 17, 2015, 07:15:21 PM »
As far as I am concerned , Wojo should be feeling some pressure to produce this year.

We are a program with an impressive history, incredible facilities and resources and there are plenty of good coaches who would love to coach here and could win with the talent  we have today.

349 out 351 in player experience.

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #62 on: November 17, 2015, 07:19:16 PM »

But in weighted average player experience, more like 275.

BTW, Kentucky last year was #346.

known cynic

• Walk-On
« Reply #63 on: November 17, 2015, 07:27:51 PM »
If anyone is watching the Duke Kentucky game it is very clear the athletic difference between those teams and MU. It's an entirely different level. Its less coaching and more superior talent.  It seems like the only way to compete against these type of teams is proficient 3 point shooting. Like golf ... putting is the great equalizer. In B-ball it seems to be great 3 point shooting.  Maybe Hauser and others will add that in the future.  FYI watch Plumlee and compare to Luke - no comparison in terms of aggressiveness and athleticism.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #64 on: November 17, 2015, 07:44:54 PM »

I guarantee Coach Pitino or Izzo would have our current  team playing at a very high level. Look at Coach Izzo last year , he took a team only slightly more talented than ours to the final four. The biggest disappointment is the defense. Considering Coach Wojos background I thought that would be our strength .

Beat Iowa and all is forgiven .....for a while at least
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #65 on: November 17, 2015, 07:48:22 PM »
If anyone is watching the Duke Kentucky game it is very clear the athletic difference between those teams and MU. It's an entirely different level. Its less coaching and more superior talent.  It seems like the only way to compete against these type of teams is proficient 3 point shooting. Like golf ... putting is the great equalizer. In B-ball it seems to be great 3 point shooting.  Maybe Hauser and others will add that in the future.  FYI watch Plumlee and compare to Luke - no comparison in terms of aggressiveness and athleticism.

Marshall Plumlee is a fricken' grad student. He's probably trying to get another year of eligibility because Coach K doesn't know how to coach a team without a Plumlee anymore. Oh, and Duke's freshman are struggling on defense, too. Three times they've given up the reverse while standing right under the basket.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #66 on: November 17, 2015, 07:56:18 PM »
Why? Because we really wanted the rest of the 80s and early 90s to suck?

Because he wasn't going to win at Marquette. He was living in Al's shadow and the university was running the basketball program like it was still 1977. He needed to chart his own course and Marquette needed go through hell to understand what it was like to be a modern basketball program. It worked out for both parties.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #67 on: November 17, 2015, 08:02:44 PM »

Some might suggest that a roster stocked with McDonald's AAs and FOUR lottery picks might be an outlier when considering that particular statistic.

known cynic

• Walk-On
« Reply #68 on: November 17, 2015, 08:07:24 PM »
Marshall Plumlee is a fricken' grad student. He's probably trying to get another year of eligibility because Coach K doesn't know how to coach a team without a Plumlee anymore. Oh, and Duke's freshman are struggling on defense, too. Three times they've given up the reverse while standing right under the basket.

So your point is that Plumlee is a grad student and Luke is a junior that explains the difference in athleticism and aggressiveness? And you are equating Duke's freshman's struggles against Kentucky with ours against IUPUI?

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #69 on: November 17, 2015, 08:18:03 PM »
My point is, it's early in the season.  BTW, with 7:45 left in the second half, Duke has 12 turnovers and there are 3 freshmen (1 Duke, 2 KY) with four fouls. Clearly, Coach K's not doing his job. He's gotta go.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #70 on: November 17, 2015, 08:23:17 PM »
Some might suggest that a roster stocked with McDonald's AAs and FOUR lottery picks might be an outlier when considering that particular statistic.

Other tourney teams last year at 330+ effective experience (far less than MU's 275):
UAB #345
Kansas #338 - a #2 seed
It's Indiana!, It's Indiana! #336
Duke #331, national champions

"outliers"?.. *shrug*

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 17, 2015, 08:25:07 PM »
My point is, it's early in the season.  BTW, with 7:45 left in the second half, Duke has 12 turnovers and there are 3 freshmen (1 Duke, 2 KY) with four fouls. Clearly, Coach K's not doing his job. He's gotta go.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2015, 08:26:38 PM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

known cynic

• Walk-On
« Reply #72 on: November 17, 2015, 08:27:20 PM »
I said in my post "it's less coaching and more superior talent"...Meaning not blaming Wojo. My point is maybe we are not as athletically talented as the elite and if not than 3 point shooting is key to overcoming that.  Please read my post again and tell me what are you drinking - I need some of that to get numb :)

MU82

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 17, 2015, 08:36:39 PM »
This thread is ridiculous.

I have read every post, including about 20 after this one, and you have best captured my feelings.

It's such silliness, it doesn't deserve serious comments.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #74 on: November 17, 2015, 08:44:03 PM »

Can you explain what that means?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

feedback