[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Big East Non Conference Results  (Read 58441 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Big East Non Conference Results
« Reply #100 on: December 01, 2015, 10:26:39 AM »
ABC keeps a lot of its major sporting events on ESPN, i.e. Monday Night Football, the college football playoff, NBA conference finals, etc.
Not sure we can assume Fox wouldn't consider a similar arrangement, at least occasionally, if for no other reason than to boost FS1's profile.

That's exactly it.  The NFL used Thursday games a few years ago to force its NFL Network onto basic Tier cable (basic bundle).  FS1 could do the same, buy Thursday NFL rights for FS1 and force its profile much higher. 

FS1 had playoff baseball this year.

I guess it all goes to Fox's thinking.  Do they want FS1 to be a major player or not?  If they do, they need high profile properties.  They don't come much higher than Thursday Night NFL and, I believe the Thursday night NFL contract is up this year, or next year.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #101 on: December 01, 2015, 08:27:17 PM »
That's exactly it.  The NFL used Thursday games a few years ago to force its NFL Network onto basic Tier cable (basic bundle).  FS1 could do the same, buy Thursday NFL rights for FS1 and force its profile much higher. 

FS1 had playoff baseball this year.

I guess it all goes to Fox's thinking.  Do they want FS1 to be a major player or not?  If they do, they need high profile properties.  They don't come much higher than Thursday Night NFL and, I believe the Thursday night NFL contract is up this year, or next year.
If Fox gets Thursday NFL ,Big East benefits. Lots of cross promotional advertising of our games .
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #102 on: December 01, 2015, 09:01:21 PM »
ESPN is the rights holder, not ABC. It goes oddly in reverse compared to FOX, CBS and NBC.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #103 on: December 01, 2015, 09:09:53 PM »
ESPN is the rights holder, not ABC. It goes oddly in reverse compared to FOX, CBS and NBC.

It's not really "in reverse."  ESPN and ABC are "co-equals" within Disney Media Group, which is obviously owned by Walt Disney Company.  ESPN produces all of ABC's sports broadcasts. 

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #104 on: December 01, 2015, 09:30:25 PM »

It's not really "in reverse."  ESPN and ABC are "co-equals" within Disney Media Group, which is obviously owned by Walt Disney Company.  ESPN produces all of ABC's sports broadcasts.
Sure, you kinda put in better words.

ESPN, going by contracts is the rights holder. They are not co-equals in many things. Example, SEC football can't be on ABC.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 09:33:17 PM by bradley center bat »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #105 on: December 02, 2015, 04:35:06 PM »
Big East now 47-14 non conference.

Some important games tonight. Butler at Cincinnati. A road win over a rated team would be very good. Also a Seton Hall win on the road over George Washington would help our cause.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Fred Garvin

• All American
« Reply #106 on: December 02, 2015, 08:11:49 PM »
Big win by Butler over Cincinnati tonight

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #107 on: December 02, 2015, 08:14:18 PM »
I watched the ending of the Butler Cincinnati game, amazing finish. Butler well coached.
                       ---Al McGuire

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #108 on: December 02, 2015, 09:18:56 PM »
Yep- conf is rolling right now

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #109 on: December 03, 2015, 07:20:17 AM »
Creighton barely falls to ASU

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #110 on: December 03, 2015, 08:44:51 AM »

Creighton was down 1 with ~7 seconds or so and missed two free throws.

MUMountin

• All American
« Reply #111 on: December 03, 2015, 10:19:06 AM »

While this hurts us more than helps us in the long run, in the short-term, it at least bolsters ASU's RPI/resume; they might end up a Top 100 RPI win now for us, which wasn't necessarily likely before last night.

Still, Creighton is the top team (outside of us) in terms of their eventual weight on our RPI, so it hurts to see them drop a home game against a winnable P5 opponent.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #112 on: December 03, 2015, 10:54:01 AM »
Creighton could be our competition for a 5th bid out of the Big East.  Yeah, yeah, team's get bids, not conferences.  But if the selection committee is debating between us and Creighton, this could help us a little.  Now we just need to beat Creighton twice.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #113 on: December 03, 2015, 03:39:43 PM »
I watched the end of the Creighton game. They had several chances to win it but it didn't work out. They look very good. ASU looked strong and did very well to win a tough road game. From the standpoint of MU it was good to see ASU win, although if Creighton won I would have been slightly more pleased.
                       ---Al McGuire

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #114 on: December 03, 2015, 03:45:20 PM »
St. John's lost to Fordham.  Should be an interesting battle between SJU and DePaul for the basement.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #115 on: December 03, 2015, 03:58:44 PM »
St. John's lost to Fordham.  Should be an interesting battle between SJU and DePaul for the basement.

Yep.  And we NEED to go 4-0 against 'em.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #116 on: December 03, 2015, 04:29:41 PM »
Yep.  And we NEED to go 4-0 against 'em.

To make the tournament, I honestly think we need to go 6-0 against St. John's, Depaul, and Seton Hall. Because I don't think we can hope for much better than 6-6 against the remaining six teams in the BEast.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #117 on: December 03, 2015, 04:39:34 PM »
To make the tournament, I honestly think we need to go 6-0 against St. John's, Depaul, and Seton Hall. Because I don't think we can hope for much better than 6-6 against the remaining six teams in the BEast.

You think MU needs to go 12-6 in the BE to get in the tourney? I don't.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #118 on: December 03, 2015, 04:59:05 PM »

Play around with RPI Wizard. It's not pretty.

If we lose to Wisconsin, go 8-0 against SH/DPL/SJU/CREI, 0-2 vs. Nova, and 4-4 against the rest (winning at home, losing away) our RPI ends up at 52 with a SOS of 101. That would have me shaking on selection Sunday. Probably need at least 2 in NYC, three to be safe.

If everything stays the same but we beat Wisconsin (a tall order) its 36 RPI and a SOS of 100. RPI looks good but the SOS worries me. Need to win one in NYC to be safe.

Lose to Wisconsin, 6-0 against the basement, 0-2 vs. Nova, and 5-5 verus the middle gets us a 59 RPI and 101 SOS. Not getting into the tournament. Better win the conference championship.

Keep everything the same but beat Wisconsin its an RPI of 50 and SOS of 101. Need at least two in NYC, but probably three to be safe.

So yes, I think we need to go 12-6 in the Big East to make the tourney. If not, we pretty much have to win the whole damn NYC tourney.

Also, a 13-7 record almost guarantees we will end up as a 4 or 5 seed in NYC. Meaning Villanova will likely be waiting for us in the second round. I think we could play Nova 100 times and maybe win four or five times.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 05:04:00 PM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #119 on: December 03, 2015, 05:00:16 PM »

Dunno if we need to go 12-6, but I do agree that 6-0 against SJU, DePaul and SHU is critical.  A loss to any of those three would likely qualify as a "bad loss" in the committee's eyes, and I don't think we have enough wiggle room to afford them.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #120 on: December 04, 2015, 01:49:45 AM »

If we lose to Wisconsin, go 8-0 against SH/DPL/SJU/CREI, 0-2 vs. Nova, and 4-4 against the rest (winning at home, losing away) our RPI ends up at 52 with a SOS of 101. That would have me shaking on selection Sunday. Probably need at least 2 in NYC, three to be safe.

If everything stays the same but we beat Wisconsin (a tall order) its 36 RPI and a SOS of 100. RPI looks good but the SOS worries me. Need to win one in NYC to be safe.

Lose to Wisconsin, 6-0 against the basement, 0-2 vs. Nova, and 5-5 verus the middle gets us a 59 RPI and 101 SOS. Not getting into the tournament. Better win the conference championship.

Keep everything the same but beat Wisconsin its an RPI of 50 and SOS of 101. Need at least two in NYC, but probably three to be safe.

So yes, I think we need to go 12-6 in the Big East to make the tourney. If not, we pretty much have to win the whole damn NYC tourney.

Also, a 13-7 record almost guarantees we will end up as a 4 or 5 seed in NYC. Meaning Villanova will likely be waiting for us in the second round. I think we could play Nova 100 times and maybe win four or five times.

Thanks for the thoroughness. You put me squarely on the 12-6 bandwagon.

Over the past few years, Ive gotten the general sense that the committee puts a high weight on SOS.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #121 on: December 04, 2015, 07:04:16 AM »

Great post and does a great job stating what many of us have been saying. Those thinking 11-7 in the Big East makes us a lock are just not looking at the numbers thoroughly enough. I think 23 wins will give us a good shot. Even that will have us still on the bubble, but on the more comfortable side. 24+ should make us a lock. Seems like a lot to ask for a young team.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #122 on: December 04, 2015, 07:52:28 AM »

I have been one of the biggest naysayers of this years non-conference schedule. It sucks and puts us in a huge hole. But I have a very very hard time believing that a 22-11 (12-6) Big East team isn't a stone cold lock. Especially with the parity around hoops. Lots of teams are going to have lots of losses.

Plus, how useful is the RPI wizard at this juncture? I don't anticipate any of our dreadful opponents to vastly improve from last year, but you never know. I think 11-7 probably gets us in (definitely if we beat Wisconsin), 12-6 or better were a lock. I do understand that our OOC SOS will be very poor - I've been harping on that since the schedule was released.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #123 on: December 04, 2015, 08:39:20 AM »
I have changed my rooting habits. Kansas St was playing a ranked team a few days ago and they were leading. Normally, I would root for the unranked team. However, it occurred to me if we are going to finish with an RPI in the low 50's I need to root for the ranked teams to win. Kansas St. winning that game could hurt MU's chances. A big part of our chances of making the tournament is going to depend on the resumes of teams ranked around us.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #124 on: December 04, 2015, 09:16:18 AM »

You need to account for the RPI changes that would happen in NYC. In any of the scenarios, if we win 1 or 2 in NYC and then lose to a good team, our RPI will jump.

feedback