[Today at 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB Offseason  (Read 33149 times)

NavinRJohnson

• All American
Re: MLB Offseason
« Reply #225 on: February 06, 2016, 10:08:36 AM »
Personally, I think the Cubs should be re-signing Fowler. The way they are constructed defensively right now, I do not believe they will win the WS. Soler is expendable. Now, obviously still time,trade deadline, etc to address, and I suspect that their plan is likley to shore up as needed at the deadline, as they can win in the regular season, but in three post-season series, the ball is going to find guys like Schwarber, Soler, Bryant, and maybe even Heyward if he's in CF. the simple move of putting a Fowler/Gomez type in CF and sliding Heyward over to RF, coupled with the ability to move Zobrist all over, would dramatically shore up the primary weakness that remains with that roster.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #226 on: February 06, 2016, 10:39:45 AM »
I agree with you completely on principle but the chances of the 28th pick becoming a productive major leaguer are slim. If it's between that and adding a player who is worth 2-3 wins to a team that wants to contend for a playoff spot it's a no-brainer, IMO. If we were talking about the 10th pick it would be a different story. And I'm no Sox fan.

The odds for any pick are slim.  Heck, Jr. is the first ever first pick to go into the HOF.  But that 28th pick is a pretty high pick.  That is usually a first round pick.  Heck, Mike Trout was picked 25th.  Mark Buehrle was taken in the 38th round.  The baseball draft is a crap shoot.  Which makes that pick even more important, not only because of the pick, but the pool money.  Having a pick that high gives them more room to work with to get better guys earlier and later in the draft. 
The problem with Fowler is that he is a good player, but obviously is not viewed as an impact player.  He hit a career high in HR last year, but had a career low OBP, so that may lead to questions about into what type of player he is evolving?  Is he going to give you that .360 OBP?  I'd would think banking on his power to be a risky proposition. 

Then there is the question of Austin Jackson, he isn't tied to a pick and is a similar type player.  Not as good certainly, but useful.

Right now the Sox offense is hinging on LaRoche bouncing back (yikes) or Avi breaking out (also yikes, but probably slightly more likely).  Adding another bat makes either of these situations frosting on top.  Not a necessity.  Putting Desmond in the 5/6 spot or Fowler in the 2 spot would make for a pretty deep lineup. 

But basically I agree.  Fowler would make this team feel alot more dangerous.  Same thing with Desmond.  Certainly with both. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #227 on: February 06, 2016, 10:46:04 AM »
It's funny because the white sox try to get these massive hitters every year but if you look at the team who won the world series the middle of their lineup consisted of Jermaine Dye, Konerko and Carl Everett, who mind you aren't bad hitters but those guys could hit for contact too.

It may also help that their entire team that year had career years from their position players to their pitching staff. John Garland anyone?

8 out of 9 players in that lineup hit at least 15 homers (and Frank hit 12 in like 100 abs).  The other was Podsednik who stole 60 bases.  There was a lot of power on that team.  Also no one hit over .290

And not everyone had career years.  And no one had a crazy year either I wouldn't say.  Maybe Garland.  (Jon by the way)

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #228 on: February 06, 2016, 10:50:47 AM »

Not sure if you are a Sox fan but they need another bat and the ones that are out there are going to cost the 28th pick.  If the White Sox aren't going to rebuild, they need to sign one of those guys and give up that pick. 

http://dodgersway.com/2014/10/23/history-28th-overall-pick/

This is the weird part.  They are stuck in between.  They gave up some prospects this offseason, so I understand wanting to take the picks to rebuild (especially because it essentially cost you 3 players to get that pick).  They also gave up 2 picks last year (Cabrera and Robertson) so I can see not wanting to do that again.  But again, I am with you.  Either go for it or don't.  Enough half measures.  I'd love another move.  The fact that they were just trying to trade for Puig is hopeful and makes me think the team realizes exactly where they are and are trying to find a more impactful player before going on to Fowler. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #229 on: February 06, 2016, 01:00:42 PM »
8 out of 9 players in that lineup hit at least 15 homers (and Frank hit 12 in like 100 abs).  The other was Podsednik who stole 60 bases.  There was a lot of power on that team.  Also no one hit over .290

And not everyone had career years.  And no one had a crazy year either I wouldn't say.  Maybe Garland.  (Jon by the way)

See I remember that team a lot differently. Even Uribe hit over 15 homers? Funny what 11 years will do to your memory. Forget Uribe, I'm surprised Iguchi and Rowand hit at least 15 as well.

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #230 on: February 06, 2016, 01:34:27 PM »

Ozzie Guillen had a career year. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #231 on: February 06, 2016, 01:49:37 PM »
See I remember that team a lot differently. Even Uribe hit over 15 homers? Funny what 11 years will do to your memory. Forget Uribe, I'm surprised Iguchi and Rowand hit at least 15 as well.

Iguchi had 15 and Uribe had 16, I was incorrect though, Rowand had 13.  They did hit 200 even as a team.   
« Last Edit: February 06, 2016, 01:58:04 PM by buckchuckler »

drewm88

• All American
« Reply #232 on: February 06, 2016, 06:58:32 PM »
Matt Murton back to Chicago on a minor league deal. NL Central beware.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #233 on: February 06, 2016, 10:30:47 PM »
This is the weird part.  They are stuck in between.  They gave up some prospects this offseason, so I understand wanting to take the picks to rebuild (especially because it essentially cost you 3 players to get that pick).  They also gave up 2 picks last year (Cabrera and Robertson) so I can see not wanting to do that again.  But again, I am with you.  Either go for it or don't.  Enough half measures.  I'd love another move.  The fact that they were just trying to trade for Puig is hopeful and makes me think the team realizes exactly where they are and are trying to find a more impactful player before going on to Fowler.

IMO the Sox need a SP, SS and an outfielder. The way the market is dropping they might get Gallardo (7m one year)+ a couple mil in incentives, Desmond (2 yr, 20m with an opt out) and Fowler (maybe slightly more than Desmond) for roughly what Cespedes would have cost them. Pipe dream for sure but the White Sox would be formidable.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #234 on: February 09, 2016, 02:58:10 PM »
Well, the Sox made a move.  Mat Latos.  1 year 3 mil.  Pretty low risk for some decent potential.  Possible rotational depth/ bullpen depth if nothing else.  He is only 1 year removed from being a pretty good pitcher as well. 

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #235 on: February 09, 2016, 03:33:45 PM »
Mat Latos has a cat.  The cat's name is "Cat Latos." So, the Sox have that going for them.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #236 on: February 09, 2016, 08:02:44 PM »
Well, the Sox made a move.  Mat Latos.  1 year 3 mil.  Pretty low risk for some decent potential.  Possible rotational depth/ bullpen depth if nothing else.  He is only 1 year removed from being a pretty good pitcher as well.

No brainer at that number.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #237 on: February 10, 2016, 07:24:37 AM »
Between Latos, Lawrie and Eaton that's a tough team to like.

Frazier is a good dude though.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #238 on: February 10, 2016, 05:23:04 PM »
Between Latos, Lawrie and Eaton that's a tough team to like.

Frazier is a good dude though.

I don't know.  What's the problem with Eaton and Lawrie?  I've heard stories that teammates weren't too fond of Latos, but haven't heard much by the way of Lawrie and Eaton hasn't been a problem in his 2 years with the Sox. 

But then again, all anyone could say about AJ is that he was some sort of boogeyman, and I think wouldn't say Sox fans would classify him as unlikable.   

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #239 on: February 10, 2016, 05:45:50 PM »
Eaton hasn't been a problem in his 2 years with the Sox.   

Eaton hasn't been anything in his last two years with the Sox.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #240 on: February 10, 2016, 10:54:28 PM »
I don't know.  What's the problem with Eaton and Lawrie?  I've heard stories that teammates weren't too fond of Latos, but haven't heard much by the way of Lawrie and Eaton hasn't been a problem in his 2 years with the Sox. 

But then again, all anyone could say about AJ is that he was some sort of boogeyman, and I think wouldn't say Sox fans would classify him as unlikable.   

Eaton's mouth has always been larger then his performance. Lawrie is Swisher Jr. when it comes to being a bro. Latos is  a world class douche, otherwise he would have gotten a better contract.

Your best player can't refuses to grasp English coupled with a quiet manager, esh. This is Frazier's clubhouse, and I think he's got the personality to possibly pull it together. Hahn hasn't done him any favors though.

brandx

« Reply #241 on: February 12, 2016, 06:42:27 PM »
Brewers get good catching prospect for Khris Davis.

Santana could put up similar numbers as Davis, so he was expendable.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #242 on: February 12, 2016, 07:57:24 PM »
Adios Lucroy, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #243 on: February 12, 2016, 09:30:04 PM »
Eaton's mouth has always been larger then his performance. Lawrie is Swisher Jr. when it comes to being a bro. Latos is  a world class douche, otherwise he would have gotten a better contract.

Your best player can't refuses to grasp English coupled with a quiet manager, esh. This is Frazier's clubhouse, and I think he's got the personality to possibly pull it together. Hahn hasn't done him any favors though.

This seems pretty thin.

And what does speaking English have to do with anything?  You know half that team is Latin right?  And there are ways to lead with out being a cheerleader as well.

And not sure what your expectations for Eaton are.  He has been the Sox 2nd best hitter since he arrived.  And while that doesn't say much on its own, that isn't because Eaton's production has been lacking. 

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #244 on: February 12, 2016, 09:36:02 PM »
Brewers get good catching prospect for Khris Davis.

Santana could put up similar numbers as Davis, so he was expendable.

I can never quite figure out what Oakland is thinking. 

brandx

« Reply #245 on: February 15, 2016, 01:17:28 PM »
Personally, I think the Cubs should be re-signing Fowler. The way they are constructed defensively right now, I do not believe they will win the WS. Soler is expendable. Now, obviously still time,trade deadline, etc to address, and I suspect that their plan is likley to shore up as needed at the deadline, as they can win in the regular season, but in three post-season series, the ball is going to find guys like Schwarber, Soler, Bryant, and maybe even Heyward if he's in CF. the simple move of putting a Fowler/Gomez type in CF and sliding Heyward over to RF, coupled with the ability to move Zobrist all over, would dramatically shore up the primary weakness that remains with that roster.

Fowler's numbers actually are below average defensively. Now, of course, Fowler and Heyward in CF and RF are probably better than Heyward/ Soler. But there is no reason to think Heyward will not be as good or better in CF as Fowler.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/questioning-dexter-fowlers-defensive-improvement/

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #246 on: February 15, 2016, 02:16:54 PM »
Fowler's numbers actually are below average defensively. Now, of course, Fowler and Heyward in CF and RF are probably better than Heyward/ Soler. But there is no reason to think Heyward will not be as good or better in CF as Fowler.

http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/questioning-dexter-fowlers-defensive-improvement/

Well, except for the fact that he's only played 30 games there before and being a great corner OF doesn't always translate to being a good CF.  That would be like taking a great 2B and putting him at SS and expecting the same results. Sure some guys will be able to do it, but not all of them. 

If you need a recent example, Yoenis Cespedes won a GG in left field.  How did he look in CF in the World Series? 

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #247 on: February 19, 2016, 08:33:21 AM »
Well, except for the fact that he's only played 30 games there before and being a great corner OF doesn't always translate to being a good CF.  That would be like taking a great 2B and putting him at SS and expecting the same results. Sure some guys will be able to do it, but not all of them. 

If you need a recent example, Yoenis Cespedes won a GG in left field.  How did he look in CF in the World Series?

I've kind of changed my mind on signing a CF now...again, they will have ample opportunity to address it at the deadline, which I believe they will need to do. They can get through the regular season just fine, but will need to make some adjustments in order to get through three playoff series. Trying to be too fine now could potentially do more harm than good.

Like any team, a couple key injuries, significant slumps, etc., and the season could Head towards the toilet real quick. For right now, better to play a few months, see exactly what you have and leverage the solid farm system to close the gaps via trades and/or promotions. They were remarkably healthy last season. odds are that will not be the case this year, so who knows. By the time the deadline rolls around, they may have bigger priorities than fortifying the defense. Better to maintain some roste flexibility between now and then. Adding a CF now, could needlessly limit that flexibility down the road.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #248 on: February 19, 2016, 11:00:52 AM »
I've kind of changed my mind on signing a CF now...again, they will have ample opportunity to address it at the deadline, which I believe they will need to do. They can get through the regular season just fine, but will need to make some adjustments in order to get through three playoff series. Trying to be too fine now could potentially do more harm than good.

Like any team, a couple key injuries, significant slumps, etc., and the season could Head towards the toilet real quick. For right now, better to play a few months, see exactly what you have and leverage the solid farm system to close the gaps via trades and/or promotions. They were remarkably healthy last season. odds are that will not be the case this year, so who knows. By the time the deadline rolls around, they may have bigger priorities than fortifying the defense. Better to maintain some roste flexibility between now and then. Adding a CF now, could needlessly limit that flexibility down the road.

Sums it up perfectly.  Heyward should be fine in CF, especially in Wrigley.  See how the season progresses and address any needs in July. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #249 on: February 19, 2016, 11:01:27 AM »

Heyward is a much better OF than Cespedes.