[Today at 05:59:46 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB Offseason  (Read 32818 times)

buckchuckler

• All American
MLB Offseason
« on: November 12, 2015, 07:26:03 PM »
First big move.  Halos acquire Andrelton Simmons for Sean Newcombe, Chris Ellis and Aybar. 

brandx

Re: MLB Offseason
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2015, 07:53:51 PM »
Braves got a nice haul. Aybar is serviceable and Newcombe could be really good.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2015, 08:20:48 PM »
Simmons is elite defensively, and under control for 5 more years, so the Halo's got a good return as well.  Seems like a good trade.  Though the rumor was the Braves were talking to the Mets about Simmons too and asked for Harvey, which seems ridiculous, but anyway, seems like a good start to the hot stove season. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2015, 11:38:14 PM »
As a diehard Halos fan, I am mixed on this.  Aybar was a solid shortstop, though his range was declining in the last year.  Good bunter, decent slap hitter who would occasionally hit one out of the park.

Thing is, he would be a free agent after next year.  Simmons is a defensive gem, but doesn't have the hitting chops.

I don't like giving up Newcombe.

Tonight, Jim Bowden on ESPN said the Mets were asked to give up Harvey or DeGrom, obviously huge ask.  Bowden said the trade reminds him of Templeton for Ozzie.  People didn't understand it at the time, but in the end taking the better defensive shortstop was the right move.

I'll be thrilled if that is ultimately the case.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2015, 07:08:27 AM »
A premier defense shortstop is almost as valuable as anything in the game.   If I were a Braves fan I wouldn't be too happy with this move.
Looking forward to an exciting offseason!

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2015, 09:05:04 AM »
Simmons is elite defensively, and under control for 5 more years, so the Halo's got a good return as well.  Seems like a good trade.  Though the rumor was the Braves were talking to the Mets about Simmons too and asked for Harvey, which seems ridiculous, but anyway, seems like a good start to the hot stove season.

From the Braves perspective, I read that they felt that Simmons bat is what it is and that while still great defensively he has already showed some small regression in that area.  With the bat being below average they felt that if he continues to slip a little year-over-year defensively that ultimately a lot of his value would diminish so they chose to sell high.  I can understand that perspective.  Could be a solid move for both teams. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2015, 12:05:58 PM »

The Braves didn't really want to trade Simmons within the division but if they were going to, they wanted a HUGE return. It also doesn't hurt to ask for Harvey since he's a prima donna who may be wearing out his welcome in Queens.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #7 on: November 13, 2015, 06:48:40 PM »
BoSox get Kimbrel.  Wow, this is an active start. 

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2015, 12:15:06 PM »

Has there been a stranger 4-year run in recent MLB memory than the Red Sox?

A 69-win disaster of a season, fire manager after 1 season, win a World Championship and follow it with back-to-back last place finishes and the GM getting fired.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2015, 01:20:38 PM »

Seemed like an awful lot to give up for a closer when they need rotation help. 

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2015, 02:13:47 PM »
Seemed like an awful lot to give up for a closer when they need rotation help.

I HATE this trade as a Red Sox fan.  They have to do better than a 65 inning per year pitcher for 4 top prospects, 2 of which are regarded as being in the top 50 of all MLB prospect and all of whom project to be major leaguers.  I get the two best of the bunch are sort of blocked by Boegarts and Betts, but I'm pretty sure you can move a CF prospect to RF or LF. 
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

brandx

« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2015, 02:51:20 PM »
I HATE this trade as a Red Sox fan.  They have to do better than a 65 inning per year pitcher for 4 top prospects, 2 of which are regarded as being in the top 50 of all MLB prospect and all of whom project to be major leaguers.  I get the two best of the bunch are sort of blocked by Boegarts and Betts, but I'm pretty sure you can move a CF prospect to RF or LF.

It was a pretty good haul for SD.

Most teams are followers. KC has been to the World Series 2 years in a row with a monster bullpen. Teams will try to emulate that.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2015, 04:47:18 PM »
Just Asking. 

Do BoSox fans miss Theo?  Does ownership?  Will he wear out his welcome in Chicago?

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2015, 11:07:38 AM »
It was a no-brainer, but Bryant officially ROTY.    Well deserved.

CreightonWarrior

• Starter
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2015, 03:29:21 PM »
KRod is the Brewer's gift that keeps on giving.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 06:48:19 AM »
I see K-Rod's numbers are solid, but I am getting a vibe that Brewers aren't going to miss him all that much.    As a Tiger's fan, tell my why I am going to love/hate this guy.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 06:58:17 AM »
Just Asking. 

Do BoSox fans miss Theo?  Does ownership?  Will he wear out his welcome in Chicago?

BY the end of his tenure, Theo was like any other big market GM with his ill-advised signings of Carl Crawford, A-Gon and extension of Josh Beckett.  Getting out from under those mistakes was big for Cherington.  In the end the Sox owners as much as Theo instilled the philosophy that runs the club.  He is a good GM and we'd be better off with him than Dombrowski, IMO.  But I don't get the feeling that Sox fans are pining for him. 

Cherington did the same thing with ill-advised signings of Sandoval and Ramirez that led to his ouster.  The Sox are set for a long stretch of being very good, but I get the feeling that Dombrowski is going to kill that future to try to win now.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #17 on: November 19, 2015, 12:15:45 PM »
I see K-Rod's numbers are solid, but I am getting a vibe that Brewers aren't going to miss him all that much.    As a Tiger's fan, tell my why I am going to love/hate this guy.

If you like having a closer come in with a 3 run lead, seeing him give up 2 base hits and a walk, and then getting a strikeout and double play to end the inning, you'll love him.  If you don't like seeing your closer come in at home in the top of the 9th in a tie game and giving up a bomb (or 3), you'll hate him.  If you like a guy who gets the job done pretty consistently despite it maybe not being very pretty, you'll like him overall.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #18 on: November 19, 2015, 12:39:12 PM »
If what you say is accurate, then he will be no different than the closers Detroit has had the last several years.    Todd Jones, Jose Valverde, Joaquin Benoit, Joe Nathan,  committee.      Soria wasn't bad, but he was a trading deadline casualty. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 05:07:35 PM »
Price to boston.  7 years 31 million aav.  Yikes.  1 million per start or so.  Yikes.  That 31 million will be pretty iffy in his age 35 season.   Not to mention his 37 season. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 07:31:50 PM »
Price to boston.  7 years 31 million aav.  Yikes.  1 million per start or so.  Yikes.  That 31 million will be pretty iffy in his age 35 season.   Not to mention his 37 season.

As a Cubs fan I have no problem that they weren't involved at those numbers, especially one year after signing Lester to a big deal.  I'm also happy he didn't end up in St. Louis or on another NL contender. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #21 on: December 01, 2015, 08:40:47 PM »
Tigers getting Maybin from the Braves for a minor leaguer,  and Zimmermann via FA from the Nats.    Looks like the new GM is trying to make a name for himself.   And he even let his kid go to the White Sox.   Starting pitcher, closer, outfielder.    The rest is going to be bolstering the bullpen. 

brandx

« Reply #22 on: December 01, 2015, 09:48:22 PM »

Yeah, but he's good in the playoffs.

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2015, 08:12:50 AM »

That's about $10,000 for each pitch he throws.  I understand that you have to pay for quality, but he most definitely will not be worth the money for the back half of this contract and they are just hoping he stays healthy and is worth it for the first half.  I really don't like these long term deals for pitchers, especially 30 year old pitchers.

Well, they should be in the hunt this year.  Now, if only they could get rid of LAST year's big FA signings.

buckchuckler

• All American
« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2015, 04:53:26 PM »
I really don't like these long term deals for pitchers, especially 30 year old pitchers.

Well, they should be in the hunt this year.  Now, if only they could get rid of LAST year's big FA signings.

Any deal for a top free agent is a deal with the devil.  If you look at last years major free agent signings, many of them are already seen as terrible deals.  The BoSox here must be hoping for 4 good years out of him.  This just puts an exclamation point on how much value that "young controllable pitching" has.  That is why it has been reported that 20 (!) teams have checked in on Shelby Miller.  It is pretty crazy. 

Price has averaged about 6 2/3 IP for his career as a starter.  If he keeps up that rate he will be making about 50K per out recorded.  This could be a fun game.  Hahaha. 

As a White Sox fan, this makes me want to give Chris Sale and Jose Quintana's contracts big hugs. 
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 04:57:29 PM by buckchuckler »

feedback