collapse

* Recent Posts

2024 Transfer Portal by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 09:39:22 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by WhiteTrash
[Today at 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 09:22:20 PM]

NIL Future by PointWarrior
[Today at 09:03:13 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by lawdog77
[Today at 07:14:12 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB Playoffs  (Read 35077 times)

🏀

• All American
Re: MLB Playoffs
« Reply #100 on: October 09, 2015, 07:18:59 PM »
I can't remember, who did TV play by play for the Brewers before BA? For some reason I feel like whoever it was got scooped up by a national station. If so, it's too bad the Brewers can't evaluate baseball talent like they can TV broadcasters. BA does a good job in both baseball and basketball.

Vasgerian or Kasper?

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #101 on: October 09, 2015, 07:51:09 PM »
I can't remember, who did TV play by play for the Brewers before BA? For some reason I feel like whoever it was got scooped up by a national station. If so, it's too bad the Brewers can't evaluate baseball talent like they can TV broadcasters. BA does a good job in both baseball and basketball.

Daron Sutton I believe

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #102 on: October 09, 2015, 07:58:37 PM »
Whatever makes you happy. But the point remains the reason the Cubs are so ridiculed is because they haven't won the World Series for 109 years AND because they've been mostly bad period for 70 years. Maybe your favorite team's record from 1900-1910 gives you the warm and fuzzies, but I'd guess most Cub fans/baseball fans find it meaningless. UW fans are regularly mocked here for thinking their NCAA championship in 1941 is relevant - rightly so.

I admit this is a dumb argument.

That said, the Cubs have made the postseason 7 times in my 38 years of life, ('84, '89, '98, '03, '07, '08, '15).

There are only 11 (of the 30) MLB teams who have made the postseason more than 7 seasons the last 38 years, (ATL, BOS, HOU, LAA, LAD, MIN, NYY, OAK, PHI, SF, STL).  There are many reasons why the Cubs are painted as consistent losers, but I don't think the stats back up the image.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 08:01:07 PM by WI_inferiority_complexes »

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #103 on: October 09, 2015, 08:35:28 PM »
One down, two to go

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #104 on: October 09, 2015, 09:05:39 PM »
I admit this is a dumb argument.

That said, the Cubs have made the postseason 7 times in my 38 years of life, ('84, '89, '98, '03, '07, '08, '15).

There are only 11 (of the 30) MLB teams who have made the postseason more than 7 seasons the last 38 years, (ATL, BOS, HOU, LAA, LAD, MIN, NYY, OAK, PHI, SF, STL).  There are many reasons why the Cubs are painted as consistent losers, but I don't think the stats back up the image.

Would you make that same argument for the Vikings from an NFL perspective?  # 8 on the all time winning %, #5 on playoff appearances (tied with Bears and Steelers), tied for #11 on SB appearances (one behind GB)

WI inferiority Complexes

• Team Captain
« Reply #105 on: October 09, 2015, 09:19:34 PM »
Would you make that same argument for the Vikings from an NFL perspective?  # 8 on the all time winning %, #5 on playoff appearances (tied with Bears and Steelers), tied for #11 on SB appearances (one behind GB)

I don't follow the NFL at all.  But I don't think the Vikings are considered "losers" as much as the Cubs are.  (I could be wrong).

NavinRJohnson

• All American
« Reply #106 on: October 10, 2015, 09:09:48 AM »
I would never say even a single world championship in any sport is "likely."  It takes a lot of things to go right to win a World Championship, even for the most talented/best teams.  I would definitely say it is certainly possible, though.

Yep. When only one team wins, the odds of one are very long, and even longer. When you talk multiple. I have a bet with my son that the Cubs will win one in the next three years (this year included). Looks good for me, but I reality, the odds are still very much in his favor. Doesn't take much to go wrong to completely mess up a season. You can look at ten cardinals and Giants, and say, "of course the Cubs will win multiple WS." Then look at the Pirates, Dodgers, Yankees, Tigers, etc. and say, "no they won't." Fact is, it's more likely they won't win one, than it is they'll win multiple.

Those of us who call ourselves Packer fans understand this concept all too well.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #107 on: October 10, 2015, 09:24:21 AM »
"losers" my be a strong word for their perception (insert angry Packer and Bear fans outrage here) but not viewed as a successful franchise and certainly viewed as a tortured fan base.

My point is that within a fanbase those stats do a lot to confirm past believe and instill hope for the future.  For other fanbases to give you credit you need a) a championship and b) sustained playoff presence. 

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #108 on: October 10, 2015, 12:50:58 PM »
One down, two to go

Typical Sox fan. 

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #109 on: October 10, 2015, 01:24:06 PM »
Typical Sox fan.

They are still thanking their lucky stars over an inept call in the Angels series to aid them along the way.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #110 on: October 10, 2015, 01:32:45 PM »
They are still thanking their lucky stars over an inept call in the Angels series to aid them along the way.

It was the correct call, the ball absolutely changed directions. That was a decade ago now, smart play by AJ. Anyways, I'm cheering for the Cubs, always rather see a Chicago team win.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #111 on: October 10, 2015, 05:01:39 PM »

Please. The Sox crushed the Angels 4-1 and you're still whining 10 years later over one stinking call? Unreal.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #112 on: October 11, 2015, 12:26:19 AM »
Utley is going to get PLUNKED by Harvey.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #113 on: October 11, 2015, 03:30:21 AM »
Utley is going to get PLUNKED by Harvey.

Plunked is an understatement.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #114 on: October 11, 2015, 07:10:39 AM »

Sutton went to the Diamonbacks and was subsequently fired.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #115 on: October 11, 2015, 11:15:11 AM »
It was the correct call, the ball absolutely changed directions. That was a decade ago now, smart play by AJ. Anyways, I'm cheering for the Cubs, always rather see a Chicago team win.

It was not the correct call ever.  No dirt came up, replays clear.  He caught the ball.

Furthermore, the ump MADE THE OUT CALL with his fist.  When the ump does that, the out is registered.  PERIOD. 

44 second mark.  He caught the ball cleanly.  Tim McCarver knows, the catcher ALWAYS knows.  There's no benefit for the catcher not to throw down to first.  As McCarver properly states, if he didn't make the catch, he would have thrown to first.  It is what a catcher does, not roll it to the mound...especially when the umpire calls him out.

How you can claim it was the right call is beyond me.  Umpire called him out, over.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/9Tn5CQ9vyYQ" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/9Tn5CQ9vyYQ</a>

Now, who knows even who wins that game or the series, but that was not the correct call.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2015, 11:21:44 AM by ChicosBailBonds »

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #116 on: October 11, 2015, 08:34:11 PM »
Update: Utley suspended by MLB for Games 3 and 4.

That's pretty shocking, honestly. I also feel like that has to indicate the rulebook will be adjusted for next season.

brandx

« Reply #117 on: October 11, 2015, 09:00:32 PM »
Update: Utley suspended by MLB for Games 3 and 4.

That's pretty shocking, honestly. I also feel like that has to indicate the rulebook will be adjusted for next season.

Jes, that call at 2nd base makes me wonder if managers will start appealing the "phantom tag" at 2nd base on double plays. The reason the play was allowed was to avoid injuries like we saw on this play.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #118 on: October 11, 2015, 09:13:07 PM »
I think you need to have a rule that you slide directly into the bag in a force situation.  They stopped the catcher collisions with no adverse impact to the soul of baseball.  This would be the same.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #119 on: October 11, 2015, 09:36:19 PM »
I think you need to have a rule that you slide directly into the bag in a force situation.  They stopped the catcher collisions with no adverse impact to the soul of baseball.  This would be the same.

Good point. Seems crazy that you can't barrel into a (mostly) stationary player who is wearing protective equipment who is also focused solely on the runner. But you can barrel into a non-stationary player who is not wearing any protective equipment and is focused on the throw.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #120 on: October 12, 2015, 08:23:22 AM »

Seems so simple, doesn't it?

Man, Torre really talked himself into a hole after the game. Utley never touched second but was ruled safe because, according to Torre, no one tagged him...because he was called out and he only returned to the dugout without touching second because he was called out so he didn't think he had to touch second...which is also why no one tagged him. Huh? Torre also deemed he was safe because it was NOT the "neighborhood play," which is in place to help keep middle infielders safe from plays exactly like this one. Not Joe's finest hour.

Suspending Utley 2 games after all of that is bizarre.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #121 on: October 12, 2015, 08:34:01 AM »
There was no fundamental difference between what Utley did and what Coghlan did to Kang a few weeks ago.  Coghlan was never suspended.  The only reason Utley was is because it is during the playoffs and was higher profile.

MLB screwed this one up big time.  If you don't like the results of plays like this, change the rule.

MU B2002

• All American
  • Father to future alums in 2029 & 2037.
« Reply #122 on: October 12, 2015, 09:09:57 AM »
The Coghlan / Kang play will likely be the primary exhibit in Utley's appeal today.  Per the talking heads.
"VPI"
- Mike Hunt

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #123 on: October 12, 2015, 09:11:10 AM »
There was no fundamental difference between what Utley did and what Coghlan did to Kang a few weeks ago.  Coghlan was never suspended.  The only reason Utley was is because it is during the playoffs and was higher profile.

MLB screwed this one up big time.  If you don't like the results of plays like this, change the rule.

Coghlan both touched the bag and started his slide well before the bag, neither of which Utley did.  Both were aggressive take out slides to be sure, but Utley's execution was far more egregious.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #124 on: October 12, 2015, 09:26:08 AM »
There was no fundamental difference between what Utley did and what Coghlan did to Kang a few weeks ago.  Coghlan was never suspended. The only reason Utley was is because it is during the playoffs and was higher profile.

It was also magnified by the review awarding Utley second AND the Dodgers scoring 4 runs with 2 outs to take the lead. If the Mets retire the side with no runs scoring and/or Utley is called out, that play likely does not become nearly as big of a deal and Utley doesn't get suspended.