[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: MLB Playoffs  (Read 35090 times)

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
MLB Playoffs
« on: October 07, 2015, 02:12:08 PM »
As a Cubs fan, it's nice to even be thinking about playoffs.
Big game tonight, and as much as I hate the system at the moment, you have to be happy that you have the best pitcher in baseball currently heading to the mound for you.  Not saying he will win, but if you were hand picking a guy to pitch a wild card game in MLB right now, it would be Arrieta.
The game could easily be 0-0 or 1-1 into the late innings and then your advantage is gone.

I know it's the popular pick, but in the AL I like Toronto.
In the NL it's hard to pick against the Greinke/Kershaw buzzsaw.

brandx

Re: MLB Playoffs
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2015, 02:20:34 PM »
Kershaw isn't Kershaw in the playoffs, though. Never gone past 7 innings; ERA well over 5.00; over 3 BB per 9 innings.

Greinke is better, but still an ERA over 3.60; Ks down.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2015, 02:44:51 PM »
I dunno, this Mets team kinda reminds me of the 05 White Sox. They dont get a lot of hype, no real superstars in their mix but everybody is having their best year for them so far and combine that with solid pitching from starters 1-4. Wouldnt count them out either.

That being said though, the Cubs have a good of chance as any this year. Toronto has a great lineup but are those 6 RPG gonna last in the playoffs? Playoff baseball is a different animal and pitching is much better because you can get away with going 4 or even 3 starters pending on the schedule.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2015, 02:57:19 PM »
Cardinals over Royals

I just puked in my mouth.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2015, 03:00:41 PM »
I'm rooting for the Cubs because it would make my many Cub fan friends happy, and for the Astros because I like Carlos Gomez.

The Cubs and Astros have to give Brewers fans some hope right?  If they can find a team to take the Braun contract off their hands, that will be a good thing.

brandx

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2015, 03:09:38 PM »
I'm rooting for the Cubs because it would make my many Cub fan friends happy, and for the Astros because I like Carlos Gomez.

The Cubs and Astros have to give Brewers fans some hope right?  If they can find a team to take the Braun contract off their hands, that will be a good thing.

Fiers and Gomez hit the jackpot, huh?

Gomez will have a huge season next year being the leader on a team where the top players are latinos - Correa, Springer, Altuve.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 03:11:33 PM by brandx »

🏀

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2015, 03:25:33 PM »
Toronto v. Cards or Cubs.

Vander Blue Man Group

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2015, 03:43:08 PM »
I think whoever wins the NL game tonight takes out St. Louis.  As a Cubs fan I have the utmost confidence in Arrieta.  As a Cubs fan I am also terrified of Cole.  Should be a great, low-scoring game. 

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 04:55:50 PM »
Fiers and Gomez hit the jackpot, huh?

Gomez will have a huge season next year being the leader on a team where the top players are latinos - Correa, Springer, Altuve.

Pretty sure Springer grew up and went to prep school in CT...

21Jumpstreet

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2015, 05:02:52 PM »
#FlytheW

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2015, 10:16:18 PM »
Well, coming from a Sox fan that was really, really impressive. Didn't even look like arietta had his best stuff.

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2015, 11:17:07 PM »
I need to dig a Cards hat out from somewhere in my closet

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2015, 11:41:17 PM »
Looks like Kyle Schwarber laughed at everyones predictions of a 1-0 game.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2015, 11:46:52 PM »
I worked for three managers in my career when I was with the Angels...Terry Collins (now at the Mets), Mike Scioscia, and Joe Maddon (now at Cubs).  Was so hoping my Halos would find a way to make it all three for this year's playoffs.

I hate the one game playoff after 162 games, but it is what it is.  Cubs could do a lot of damage.  As long as the Doyers don't win it, I'll be thrilled.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2015, 07:10:12 AM »
Pretty sure Springer grew up and went to prep school in CT...

Definitely a local kid.  From New Britain (known locally as New Britski).  He started at the local public school and as often happens with kids with sports talent a local prep school gets him to transfer.  Played baseball at UConn which has a good team coached by Jim Penders, the brother of retired college basketball coach Tom Penders.

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2015, 07:54:47 AM »
When the Cubs got up 3-0, the Pirates panicked. I actually think that subbing Alvarez for Rodriguez early got "we need offense!" in their heads and they started pressing. Arrieta didn't have his best but the Pirates helped him out a lot with some awful at bats. That tension obviously boiled over when Watson plunked Arrieta...which was a stupid thing to do considering, at that point, the Pirates only had 5 baserunners and 2 got on via HBP.

Tons of confidence in Arrieta going forward. Lester and Hammel? Not as much. Should be a fun series with StL!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2015, 08:26:30 AM »
This bad blood all started with the hard slide into Kang right?  I can also understand the Pirates frustrations hosting the WC game two years in a row and getting shut out each time. 

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2015, 08:53:46 AM »
This bad blood all started with the hard slide into Kang right?  I can also understand the Pirates frustrations hosting the WC game two years in a row and getting shut out each time.

Yup.  Pirates get a nice prize for having the second best record in all of baseball.  First, they have to face the hottest pitcher in the last 100 years (maybe in history), and, should they have survived that, face the best team in baseball.

The current setup is also unfair to the Cards.  The best team should get to face the weakest team.  The process should be designed to reward the best team, not to maximize punishment for the wild card team, who generally will not be the worst team (the odds of the three best teams being one per division are around 27.5%).

I like Toronto vs Chicago in the WS.  The way Arrieta is pitching right now it's like the Cubs go into any 7 game series with a 2-0 lead.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2015, 09:44:56 AM »

I'd assume so.  I have nothing against the Pirates but their fans were pretty silly all week.  Lots of sour grapes during the game last night including booing Arrieta after each HBP.  As if he was doing it on purpose, I mean seriously.  Not to mention there was a nice social media buzz about how Kang was their best hitter against Arrieta and this was all carefully designed.  FOH

Cole was absolutely RATTLED.  Shaky after the Cubs scored early, absolutely done after Schwarber.  Meanwhile, Arrieta didn't have his best stuff in the mid innings but held the line.  The DP to end the 6th was one of the most exciting and reliving moments this season.

While a 1 game playoff is a bit unfair, I agree, the outcome was fair.  Cubs were a far hotter team, Pirates had a pretty dismal record against the cream of the NL Central.  I hope Carlos Zambrano called Sean Rodriguez to give him pointers on how to properly knock out a Gatorade cooler...and how to not suck at hitting.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2015, 09:54:27 AM »
I'd assume so.  I have nothing against the Pirates but their fans were pretty silly all week.  Lots of sour grapes during the game last night including booing Arrieta after each HBP.  As if he was doing it on purpose, I mean seriously.  Not to mention there was a nice social media buzz about how Kang was their best hitter against Arrieta and this was all carefully designed.  FOH

Cole was absolutely RATTLED.  Shaky after the Cubs scored early, absolutely done after Schwarber.  Meanwhile, Arrieta didn't have his best stuff in the mid innings but held the line.  The DP to end the 6th was one of the most exciting and reliving moments this season.

While a 1 game playoff is a bit unfair, I agree, the outcome was fair.  Cubs were a far hotter team, Pirates had a pretty dismal record against the cream of the NL Central.  I hope Carlos Zambrano called Sean Rodriguez to give him pointers on how to properly knock out a Gatorade cooler...and how to not suck at hitting.

Ahh, the chirping that comes when your team finally wins a "Playoff game" for the first time in 12 years.

I hope I have that opportunity as a Brewers fan within that time frame.  Not holding my breath, though.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MUBBau

• Team Captain
« Reply #20 on: October 08, 2015, 10:00:13 AM »
  Cubs were a far hotter team, Pirates had a pretty dismal record against the cream of the NL Central.

Let's not forget, they also lost 21 games to the Brewers and Reds

MerrittsMustache

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 08, 2015, 10:06:13 AM »

Let's not get carried away. The Pirates went 17-21 vs Cubs/StL with 13 games decided by 1 run. Not exactly dismal.

For reference...
Cubs vs Pit/StL: 19-19
Cardinals vs Cubs/Pit: 21-17

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2015, 10:19:50 AM »
Let's not get carried away. The Pirates went 17-21 vs Cubs/StL with 13 games decided by 1 run. Not exactly dismal.

For reference...
Cubs vs Pit/StL: 19-19
Cardinals vs Cubs/Pit: 21-17

Good stats.  You would expect teams to have worse records against better teams.  They are, after all, better teams.

What really hurt the Pirates is their inability to beat the Brewers (and Reds), somehow.  If they win a few more of those games they win the Division.

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 08, 2015, 10:49:57 AM »
If ever there was a chance to get St Louis, it might be now, with Molina on the mend, Martinez out and Wainwright relegated to the bullpen.

I also felt like Arrieta didn't have his best stuff, but it's kind of funny because he has raised the expectations so much.  Not sure if anyone saw the post game interview, but a reporter asked him how he got through not being as crisp out there and he said "I'm not sure what game you were watching..."
The time he was really in trouble was because of a hit batter and an error, but it's comes so infrequently lately that it feels like a bigger moment of struggle.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2015, 10:58:46 AM »
How awful was that TBS broadcast though?