[Today at 05:53:49 AM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by Jay Bee
[Today at 05:13:02 AM]

Three Years Ago Today... by Newsdreams
[March 27, 2024, 11:34:10 PM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[March 27, 2024, 10:40:15 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Brook Lopez Talks About Beating MU  (Read 12785 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Brook Lopez Talks About Beating MU
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2015, 12:38:59 PM »
Yeah, no doubt.  Over 8,000 registered posters and you have started about 4% of all threads on MUScoop, with nearly 1,500 threads started.

Congratulations.  Keep up the good work.  I sense an MUScoop MVP and future Hall of Fame career on the horizon for you.  Your stats are looking impressive.

I rarely read a thread that makes it to the third page.  By that point they have strayed so far from the original post they no longer reflect it.

I think the perfect post has 20 to 40 responses and ends on page 2.  Yes their are expectations.

So instead of adding to page 3 of an off-topic thread, I start new ones.

Now, I have no started a poll in a while.  Do you want to whine about that too?
(FYI, I once started a poll about me starting polls too.  The results were for me to keep doing it.)

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2015, 01:31:51 PM »
Also MUscoop's gotta start advertising it's on pace for it's least amount of new posters since it's inception.

You'll notice the big drop happened after July.  We installed new software in July, along with upgrading to the new reCAPTCHA "I'm not a robot" check on registrations.  The registration numbers had been inflated by spambots, and we're not getting those anymore (Sorry to all the uggs fans).

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2015, 01:33:22 PM »
You'll notice the big drop happened after July.  We installed new software in July, along with upgrading to the new reCAPTCHA "I'm not a robot" check on registrations.  The registration numbers had been inflated by spambots, and we're not getting those anymore (Sorry to all the uggs fans).

Darn I got some great deals on cheap knock off uggs!
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2015, 01:34:43 PM »
I rarely read a thread that makes it to the third page.  By that point they have strayed so far from the original post they no longer reflect it.

I think the perfect post has 20 to 40 responses and ends on page 2.  Yes their are expectations.

So instead of adding to page 3 of an off-topic thread, I start new ones.

Now, I have no started a poll in a while.  Do you want to whine about that too?
(FYI, I once started a poll about me starting polls too.  The results were for me to keep doing it.)

Who's whining?  You're one of the most important posters here.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #29 on: October 06, 2015, 02:02:13 PM »
Who's whining?  You're one of the most important posters here.

Did you forget to use teal?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #30 on: October 06, 2015, 02:23:13 PM »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #31 on: October 06, 2015, 03:34:30 PM »
Um, Dunks45 is the most important poster here.  Then Big Daddy.

Anyone who reads the sports section of the South Bend Tribune on Sunday mornings in the fall is not relevant.

Blasphemy. No one provides more entertainment value per post than UDPride.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

omni77

• Walk-On
« Reply #32 on: October 06, 2015, 03:35:39 PM »
Not even close!
  1978 -- Miami of Ohio. Defending National Champion. Most of team (except for Bo) back. Best or second best team in the nation (depending on the week). Furious for weeks.

1969 -- Regional Final at Madison, WI. Playing Purdue and down by 1 point with NO time left. We're at the free-throw line. Hit 'em both and we go to the Final Four. We made one of two and lost to Purdue on a Rick Mount long, long jumper with seconds left in the game. Depressed as much as I was when Green Bay gave up a 4th and 26 and lost to Philadelphia. It was as if Dallas' Defense made a magnificent stand in the Ice Bowl and denied Bart Starr. In short, this one hurt.

1985(?) -- The Arena vs. North Carolina. Had a few bad years. Rick Majerus was head coach. Dean brought the Tar Heels into town to play before Joe Wolf's family. We led the vast majority of the game before we succumbed in the last minutes of the game. Had we won, much of the misery of the past few years would have been forgotten. Instead we lost and we ended up with Bob Dukiet two years later! The relevance of this game was far greater than anyone thought.

Agree with all of the above but if you're going to include the Purdue game, you have to also include the '71 tourney game against Ohio St. The Dream (1st team AA), Allie, Chones, Brell, etc. Ranked #2 behind Wooden's UCLA. The Dream fouled out with 4 off. fouls. which Al noted as only Al can in the post-game presser. Still had chance to win with last shot. Hank draws up perfect inbounds play giving Allie a baseline double screen with clear path to the hoop for a layup. Allie steps on baseline as he makes his cut. Game over, final score 60-59. Wanted UCLA so bad that year I could taste bruin meat.  Al said that team was best ever, better than '77 champs.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #33 on: October 06, 2015, 03:43:00 PM »
Agree with all of the above but if you're going to include the Purdue game, you have to also include the '71 tourney game against Ohio St. The Dream (1st team AA), Allie, Chones, Brell, etc. Ranked #2 behind Wooden's UCLA. The Dream fouled out with 4 off. fouls. which Al noted as only Al can in the post-game presser. Still had chance to win with last shot. Hank draws up perfect inbounds play giving Allie a baseline double screen with clear path to the hoop for a layup. Allie steps on baseline as he makes his cut. Game over, final score 60-59. Wanted UCLA so bad that year I could taste bruin meat.  Al said that team was best ever, better than '77 champs.

was that the year chones left early?
Maigh Eo for Sam

omni77

• Walk-On
« Reply #34 on: October 06, 2015, 04:47:16 PM »
Chones left the following year - they would not have been ranked #2 at the end of year without him. They would have been seriously good in the tourney that year as well had he not left, albeit not as good though without The Dream.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #35 on: October 06, 2015, 07:18:25 PM »
Not even close!
  1978 -- Miami of Ohio. Defending National Champion. Most of team (except for Bo) back. Best or second best team in the nation (depending on the week). Furious for weeks.

1969 -- Regional Final at Madison, WI. Playing Purdue and down by 1 point with NO time left. We're at the free-throw line. Hit 'em both and we go to the Final Four. We made one of two and lost to Purdue on a Rick Mount long, long jumper with seconds left in the game. Depressed as much as I was when Green Bay gave up a 4th and 26 and lost to Philadelphia. It was as if Dallas' Defense made a magnificent stand in the Ice Bowl and denied Bart Starr. In short, this one hurt.

1985(?) -- The Arena vs. North Carolina. Had a few bad years. Rick Majerus was head coach. Dean brought the Tar Heels into town to play before Joe Wolf's family. We led the vast majority of the game before we succumbed in the last minutes of the game. Had we won, much of the misery of the past few years would have been forgotten. Instead we lost and we ended up with Bob Dukiet two years later! The relevance of this game was far greater than anyone thought.

I'm glad that I read the whole thread before I responded to Stanford being the worst loss, I would have said that anyone who didn't say the 1978 game simply couldn't have been a fan until after then.

Jerome Whitehead practically got his eyes poked out multiple times and no foul until he swung his elbows to protect his vision.  IIRC, he first tried covering up his face to protect himself which failed to serve as a clue to the officials that he was being mugged.  Whitehead gets ejected for a fragrant foul by official Peter Pavia, then when Raymonds tries to complain that the officials have let the game get out of hand, he gets hit with a technical for arguing the call which he wasn't even doing.  Furious for weeks?  I still cannot let it go.

Raymonds was a gentleman in the truest sense of the word.  At minimum, Al would have been thrown out.  The story below is about a chance meeting between Raymonds and Pavia a week later.  The reaction of the people around them when they saw that the two were about to bump into each other says it all about just how controversial Pavia's calls were.  (They ran into each in Rochester New York!)

https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1499&dat=19780321&id=458oAAAAIBAJ&sjid=hykEAAAAIBAJ&pg=4836,145860&hl=en

I'm going to throw out an honorable mention for the final four game in 2003.  Probably because I was there.  It's probably not made a list yet because it was a blow out... from the start... after we had just beaten Kentucky... which was ranked number one... by fourteen points... aaaaaagh
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 07:30:48 PM by Crean to Ann Arbor »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #36 on: October 06, 2015, 07:54:36 PM »
If Lopez missed that hook shot, and MU moved on in the tourney ... would Crean have left that spring (like he did)?  If not, would we have been looking at a vast different future (after 2008) than we actually had?

Thankfully, Lopez hit that shot, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #37 on: October 06, 2015, 08:04:58 PM »

I was in attendance at that game in Athens, GA. The reality of one and done in the Tournament was witnessed up close and personal. Hung 'round to see the Warriors take down Adolph and Payne in the meaningless regional consolation game. Then, it was a long ass ride back to MKE, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #38 on: October 06, 2015, 11:44:10 PM »

'Bout the time Keefer stopped posting Israeli soldier profiles, non  è?

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #39 on: October 06, 2015, 11:54:07 PM »

That's a game I try, try, try to forget about. You're right. The team was great and we got jobbed that night in Athens, GA. I think the team voted the refs from the Ohio State game to the all-opponent team that year.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #40 on: October 07, 2015, 12:04:32 AM »
At minimum, Al would have been thrown out.

No, Al probably would have killed Peter Pavia. And then he would have accused the NCAA of having a conspiracy against him and Marquette. Which it did.

Al would never had let that game get that far out of control. Never, ever, never.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #41 on: October 07, 2015, 08:00:23 AM »
http://www.basketballinsiders.com/former-teammate-shares-lopez-twins-stories/

Former Teammate Shares Lopez Twins Stories

In March of 2008, Brook dropped 30 points and a game-winning baseline hook-floater against Marquette in the NCAA’s South Regional. Johnson, a Pac-10 Coach of the Year, was ejected before halftime. It was huge moment for Brook, and a dramatic win for Stanford. The aftermath, though, was priceless.

“We played Marquette in Sweet 16, Trent got kicked out of that game, broke a TV in the locker room. We hit the game-winner, it was dope. Everyone was excited,” Goods, who recorded seven points and five boards, recalled with a smile that lit up his face.

After beating Marquette, Stanford was rewarded with some free time in L.A. and each player received about $90 per diem. The next morning while on the bus, Robin approached Brook asking to borrow $20. “What for?” said Brook, “We just got paid.” Robin replied, “I know, but I spent $81 at the comic book store.”

Glad to see that they remember what they did after so well but not the actual round that it happened. This game was a second round game. They got pounded by Texas in the Sweet 16.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #42 on: October 07, 2015, 09:55:30 AM »
We should really break this down.

Most painful, heartwrenching losses:
Sideshow Bob and Cecil
Muther fu@kin' Jerry Smith.
D-James foul on Wallace's three.
Butler, Maui 2012

Most embarrassing losses:
Blowing an 18 point lead to Louisville with less than 6:00.
Not scoring for the first 10 minutes vs. Moo U

Most painful and embarrassing losses:
Miami-oh
Florida
Kansas

[Disclaimer: Not a complete list.  For demonstration purposes only.]
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #43 on: October 07, 2015, 11:22:46 AM »
No, Al probably would have killed Peter Pavia. And then he would have accused the NCAA of having a conspiracy against him and Marquette. Which it did.

Al would never had let that game get that far out of control. Never, ever, never.

Yeah, on reflection, Al would have gotten his technical way before Whitehead got ejected, and the game would have been much more under control.  Sometimes, the gentlemanly way don't get it done.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #44 on: October 07, 2015, 11:25:46 AM »
I think Heisenberg is a valuable poster and I enjoy the links he posts and the spurs to discussion.

Yeah, but there's definitely some yin to Heisenberg's yang.

Cue 4ever.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #45 on: October 07, 2015, 11:48:05 AM »

Yes their are expectations.

Where the hell is Bee Jay or someone else from the Grammar Police when you need them?

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #46 on: October 07, 2015, 12:14:49 PM »
This is still, for me, the most I can remember being upset after a loss.

I was stuck in a bar in Mexico filled with nothing but vacationing Stanford fans. It was the worst.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #47 on: October 07, 2015, 03:42:55 PM »
My wife and I were in Tokyo visiting our son, so for me the game was played at something like 3AM. Watched it in the hotel room on my computer while Japan slept

I can assure you, Leonard, that there is a slice of Tokyo still going strong at 0300..You obviously were not doing Tokyo right...

Death on call

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #48 on: October 07, 2015, 05:01:37 PM »

Yes their are expectations.

Where the hell is Bee Jay or someone else from the Grammar Police when you need them?

I believe you mean the Vocabulary Police.  8-)
« Last Edit: October 07, 2015, 05:04:49 PM by Crean to Ann Arbor »