[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Brook Lopez Talks About Beating MU  (Read 13042 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Brook Lopez Talks About Beating MU
« on: October 05, 2015, 10:05:18 PM »
http://www.basketballinsiders.com/former-teammate-shares-lopez-twins-stories/

Former Teammate Shares Lopez Twins Stories

In March of 2008, Brook dropped 30 points and a game-winning baseline hook-floater against Marquette in the NCAA’s South Regional. Johnson, a Pac-10 Coach of the Year, was ejected before halftime. It was huge moment for Brook, and a dramatic win for Stanford. The aftermath, though, was priceless.

“We played Marquette in Sweet 16, Trent got kicked out of that game, broke a TV in the locker room. We hit the game-winner, it was dope. Everyone was excited,” Goods, who recorded seven points and five boards, recalled with a smile that lit up his face.

After beating Marquette, Stanford was rewarded with some free time in L.A. and each player received about $90 per diem. The next morning while on the bus, Robin approached Brook asking to borrow $20. “What for?” said Brook, “We just got paid.” Robin replied, “I know, but I spent $81 at the comic book store.”

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Re: Brook Lopez Talks About Beating MU
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2015, 09:24:40 AM »
If Lopez missed that hook shot, and MU moved on in the tourney ... would Crean have left that spring (like he did)?  If not, would we have been looking at a vast different future (after 2008) than we actually had?

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2015, 09:32:58 AM »
If Lopez missed that hook shot, and MU moved on in the tourney ... would Crean have left that spring (like he did)?  If not, would we have been looking at a vast different future (after 2008) than we actually had?

Ah, the joys of chaos theory.  Let me drop a line to Benny Q in the parallel dimension where Sideshow missed the hook shot, and I'll get back to you.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2015, 09:38:22 AM »

Weren't getting enough clicks for your liking so 11 hours later you had to ask Scoopers for story time?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

RushmoreAcademy

• All American
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2015, 10:06:01 AM »
This is still, for me, the most I can remember being upset after a loss.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2015, 10:11:04 AM »

I wasn't into MU until the following year, but it can't be worse than the Washington loss in 2010 we blew a 16 maybe 18pt lead in 6minutes.
Maigh Eo for Sam

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 10:18:41 AM »
I wasn't into MU until the following year, but it can't be worse than the Washington loss in 2010 we blew a 16 maybe 18pt lead in 6minutes.

It absolutely was worse. That 09-10 team overachieved in a major way.

The year they lost to Stanford was the only year outside of their freshman year, where the Big 3 were healthy going into the tournament. They had several chances to win that game and didn't. Not to mention Crean's insane lack of adjustments defensively when the Lopii got the frontcourt in foul trouble.

That's the worst I've ever felt after a MU loss. And I've seen some doozies.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 10:28:32 AM »
My wife and I were in Tokyo visiting our son, so for me the game was played at something like 3AM. Watched it in the hotel room on my computer while Japan slept - all but those awakened by my screams of agony, anyway. We wasted a boatload of luck (4 technical free throws and Stanford's coach's dismissal) and a great performance by Jerel because we refused to pressure their very average guards - who fed the post time after time for easy baskets. Later in the tourney Texas turned over Stanford's backcourt repeatedly and crushed them by about 20. No adjustments, beaten by an assistant coach on the big stage - a fitting finale for TC at MU.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2015, 10:30:29 AM »
It absolutely was worse. That 09-10 team overachieved in a major way.

The year they lost to Stanford was the only year outside of their freshman year, where the Big 3 were healthy going into the tournament. They had several chances to win that game and didn't. Not to mention Crean's insane lack of adjustments defensively when the Lopii got the frontcourt in foul trouble.

That's the worst I've ever felt after a MU loss. And I've seen some doozies.

Gotcha. Guess I'll just never know how painful that game must've been.
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2015, 10:41:53 AM »
The Mizzou game the year before was the only game more difficult to swallow for me, just because I knew if we beat them we would've beat an overrated Memphis team and had a chance at the Final Four if Dominic James could've gotten back to anywhere near the player he was before he broke his foot.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015, 10:42:56 AM »
Weren't getting enough clicks for your liking so 11 hours later you had to ask Scoopers for story time?

Yes, and it worked ... which is why I'm one of the most important posters here

You're welcome

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2015, 10:46:14 AM »

You're welcome

Yeah, no doubt.  Over 8,000 registered posters and you have started about 4% of all threads on MUScoop, with nearly 1,500 threads started.

Congratulations.  Keep up the good work.  I sense an MUScoop MVP and future Hall of Fame career on the horizon for you.  Your stats are looking impressive.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2015, 10:49:11 AM by wadesworld »

mikekinsellaMVP

• Starter
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2015, 10:48:06 AM »

You're welcome

Sometimes, I can't tell whether your ego to self-awareness ratio is really that vast...

... or if you're actually Benny's longest of long cons.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2015, 11:04:03 AM »
Yeah, no doubt.  Over 8,000 registered posters and you have started about 4% of all threads on MUScoop, with nearly 1,500 threads started.

Congratulations.  Keep up the good work.  I sense an MUScoop MVP and future Hall of Fame career on the horizon for you.  Your stats are looking impressive.

It's surprising that Crean to Ann Arbor, Sultan and Brewcity have all posted more than Heisenberg in less time. 

He is certainly closing in on Chicos record for most topics. Of course Chicos did that in close to 10 years not like 6. 

Also MUscoop's gotta start advertising it's on pace for it's least amount of new posters since it's inception. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2015, 11:08:04 AM »

I think Heisenberg is a valuable poster and I enjoy the links he posts and the spurs to discussion.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #15 on: October 06, 2015, 11:08:55 AM »
It's surprising that Crean to Ann Arbor, Sultan and Brewcity have all posted more than Heisenberg in less time. 

He is certainly closing in on Chicos record for most topics. Of course Chicos did that in close to 10 years not like 6. 

Also MUscoop's gotta start advertising it's on pace for it's least amount of new posters since it's inception.

Chico's is more impressive since his suspensions have totaled approximately 2 years. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #16 on: October 06, 2015, 11:11:56 AM »
I think Heisenberg is a valuable poster and I enjoy the links he posts and the spurs to discussion.

+1

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #17 on: October 06, 2015, 11:13:45 AM »
The maddest I've ever been after a loss is when we had that colossal collapse at Louisville. I don't remember particulars, but I think it was when Buycks went for a basket instead of running clock...this after we blew a massive lead.

Not 10 minutes after the game I found myself screaming at a bicyclist who cut me off. Clear rage.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #18 on: October 06, 2015, 11:23:11 AM »
The maddest I've ever been after a loss is when we had that colossal collapse at Louisville. I don't remember particulars, but I think it was when Buycks went for a basket instead of running clock...this after we blew a massive lead.

Not 10 minutes after the game I found myself screaming at a bicyclist who cut me off. Clear rage.

It was harder because the same thing happened against Vandy like a week earlier.   

65-47 5:30 to go. 

I think for me during the regular season it'd be 2010 vs WVU Ebanks hit's that three pointer, or the first 2010 vs Nova game Scottie Reynolds around Lazar behind his back between his legs for a pull up jumper.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2015, 11:56:27 AM »

I was around for both, and the Stanford loss was much, much worse.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2015, 11:58:40 AM »
The entire seasons for my junior and senior years. Going from an elite 8 to nothing was brutal.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #21 on: October 06, 2015, 12:19:26 PM »

You're welcome

Um, Dunks45 is the most important poster here.  Then Big Daddy.

Anyone who reads the sports section of the South Bend Tribune on Sunday mornings in the fall is not relevant.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #22 on: October 06, 2015, 12:21:09 PM »

Not even close!
  1978 -- Miami of Ohio. Defending National Champion. Most of team (except for Bo) back. Best or second best team in the nation (depending on the week). Furious for weeks.

1969 -- Regional Final at Madison, WI. Playing Purdue and down by 1 point with NO time left. We're at the free-throw line. Hit 'em both and we go to the Final Four. We made one of two and lost to Purdue on a Rick Mount long, long jumper with seconds left in the game. Depressed as much as I was when Green Bay gave up a 4th and 26 and lost to Philadelphia. It was as if Dallas' Defense made a magnificent stand in the Ice Bowl and denied Bart Starr. In short, this one hurt.

1985(?) -- The Arena vs. North Carolina. Had a few bad years. Rick Majerus was head coach. Dean brought the Tar Heels into town to play before Joe Wolf's family. We led the vast majority of the game before we succumbed in the last minutes of the game. Had we won, much of the misery of the past few years would have been forgotten. Instead we lost and we ended up with Bob Dukiet two years later! The relevance of this game was far greater than anyone thought.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2015, 12:29:30 PM »
Um, Dunks45 is the most important poster here.  Then Big Daddy.

Anyone who reads the sports section of the South Bend Tribune on Sunday mornings in the fall is not relevant.

Why would I do that?  I go to Sunday brunch with a bunch of over-weight self-important 50+ Irish fans and they fill me in on everything I need.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2015, 12:33:12 PM »
Why would I do that?  I go to Sunday brunch with a bunch of over-weight self-important 50+ Irish fans and they fill me in on everything I need.

That explains everything.