[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette West  (Read 4952 times)

MUWarrior2007

• Walk-On
Marquette West
« on: September 30, 2015, 03:37:38 PM »
Looks like everything wasn't hunky-dory at Marquette West...  Can definitely see why Hoiberg left.

http://amestrib.com/sports/men-s-basketball-inside-times-troubled-relationship-between-hoiberg-s-cyclones-and-isu

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
Re: Marquette West
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2015, 04:24:57 PM »
What??!

The athletic department insinuated it would like to see the transfer model, which jump-started and sustained ISU’s success by bringing in players such as Royce White, Will Clyburn and DeAndre Kane, curtailed, sources said.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2015, 04:36:57 PM »
That was a very one sided article. A lot of the "nickel and diming" they described is common at other universities. Inn also not surprised that the administration was uncomfortable with the players that transferred in. Look how many times their players ended up in the papers for the wrong reasons
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2015, 06:56:55 PM »
That was a very one sided article. A lot of the "nickel and diming" they described is common at other universities. Inn also not surprised that the administration was uncomfortable with the players that transferred in. Look how many times their players ended up in the papers for the wrong reasons

And I also wonder how many of those transfers in have graduated.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 07:03:58 PM »
Look, either a university acts first class or it does not.

Cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap, cheap!

We went through some of this in the late 1970s and 1980s. We got so cheap, we simply failed to understand that sometimes savings a dollar may cost us five dollars in revenue. Iowa State went through that. It's too bad because Hoiberg was a great coach and did great things for them with our talent.

Bottom line: Maybe they'll be OK. But possibly, they may look back at 2010 to 2015 and wonder if they could ever again repeat that glory

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2015, 11:14:56 AM »
Hoiberg got on the radio yesterday to basically blow up all these accusations and bury the writer.  Basically said the Bulls gig was too good to pass up and ISU couldn't have kept him and all of this was BS.  Interesting twist.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2015, 11:28:01 AM »
Hoiberg got on the radio yesterday to basically blow up all these accusations and bury the writer.  Basically said the Bulls gig was too good to pass up and ISU couldn't have kept him and all of this was BS.  Interesting twist.

I would expect Hoiberg to defend his alma mater, but in this case I wouldn't be surprised if Hoiberg was actually telling the truth. The writer definitely came off as a person with an axe to grind against the Iowa State administration for letting Hoiberg get away. Not there was anything Iowa State could have done to stop it.
TAMU

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #7 on: October 01, 2015, 01:10:04 PM »
I would expect Hoiberg to defend his alma mater, but in this case I wouldn't be surprised if Hoiberg was actually telling the truth. The writer definitely came off as a person with an axe to grind against the Iowa State administration for letting Hoiberg get away. Not there was anything Iowa State could have done to stop it.

I'd be interested in your take on the accusation that the athletic department constantly harped on the amount Hoiberg was making and trumpeting that it was in the top 10 nationally while the reality was he was the seventh best paid coach in the Big 12 his last year.  That seemed to me to be the best evidence of Jamie Pollard undermining Hoiberg. 
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: October 01, 2015, 02:32:36 PM »
I'd be interested in your take on the accusation that the athletic department constantly harped on the amount Hoiberg was making and trumpeting that it was in the top 10 nationally while the reality was he was the seventh best paid coach in the Big 12 his last year.  That seemed to me to be the best evidence of Jamie Pollard undermining Hoiberg.

I think it is common for departments to publicly play up how much their coaches get paid. Sends a message that they are elite and willing to pay the money to be elite. Just like how we publicize how much money we invest into basketball. Football schools could theoretically invest millions more than we do, making them better funded programs, but we use our investment in basketball to make ourselves seem like a better funded department. What the reporter stated was harping could have easily been boasting to somebody else.

I have no idea. I don't know Iowa State. The reporter could be completely right. But the article had a very...slighted tone to it IMHO.
TAMU

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2015, 09:21:47 AM »
I agree about the slighted tone.  I'm thinking that the legitimacy of the article's slant has a lot to do with where the author picked that attitude up from.  If it came from the fan base then its probably overblown, but if he picked it up from people he interviewed in the basketball program...

Reminder to AD's everywhere, PR is a big part of the job.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #10 on: October 03, 2015, 07:37:09 AM »
I agree about the slighted tone.  I'm thinking that the legitimacy of the article's slant has a lot to do with where the author picked that attitude up from.  If it came from the fan base then its probably overblown, but if he picked it up from people he interviewed in the basketball program...

Reminder to AD's everywhere, PR is a big part of the job.
Unless you are Jamie Pollard, where BS is part of the job.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.