'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: SMU Penalties  (Read 13503 times)

MUchamp22

• Scholarship Player
SMU Penalties
« on: September 29, 2015, 09:16:27 AM »
SMU has been hit with a postseason ban for this year and Larry Brown has been suspended for 30% of this season's games. Anyone surprised?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2015, 09:29:08 AM by MUchamp22 »

Litehouse

• All American
Re: SMU Penalties
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2015, 09:28:23 AM »
Nic Moore?

Also, I believe it was 10 games, so 30% of the season.

MUchamp22

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2015, 09:30:42 AM »
Nic Moore?

You are right I changed it. And I don't know about Nic Moore, but that is also the first thing I thought of. Could be an amazing get if he is available, but it could rock the boat a little too much team chemistry wise. Wojo might not want that

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 09:37:55 AM »
I meant he might have been surprised by this since he stuck around there.  I think it's too late for him to transfer now.

MUchamp22

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2015, 09:39:19 AM »
I meant he might have been surprised by this since he stuck around there.  I think it's too late for him to transfer now.

I'm not 100% sure though, NCAA has weird rules when it comes to stuff like this

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2015, 10:04:27 AM »
Nic Moore?

Nic Moore is a senior and Marquette has already started their academic year.  He can't transfer here unless he waits until January but then isn't eligible until 2016.  So he can play this year but no post season...or he can sit for another 15 months and play a half season. 

Too bad the NCAA couldn't have figured this out earlier.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2015, 10:18:16 AM »
Gotta love SMU's defense.

https://twitter.com/lukewinn/status/648878724134346752

Good lord...

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #7 on: September 29, 2015, 10:29:19 AM »
Gotta love SMU's defense.

https://twitter.com/lukewinn/status/648878724134346752

Good lord...

The best part is the implication that 25 years ago initially lying to an NCAA investigation into academic fraud was acceptable.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #8 on: September 29, 2015, 10:53:49 AM »

And the beat goes on.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #9 on: September 29, 2015, 11:48:57 AM »
Just wait and watch UNC get a fraction of this penalty for 15 years of fake classes for athletes.

ecompt

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 29, 2015, 01:40:46 PM »
Just wait and watch UNC get a fraction of this penalty for 15 years of fake classes for athletes.

UNC will get a slight slap on the wrist. When you pack arenas the way they do the NCAA tends to be a tad more lenient.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 29, 2015, 02:07:04 PM »

Obviously the NCAA is so pissed at UNC they hammered SMU because of it.

MaymonsPops

• Walk-On
« Reply #12 on: September 29, 2015, 02:45:31 PM »

Nic Moore is a senior and Marquette has already started their academic year.  He can't transfer here unless he waits until January but then isn't eligible until 2016.  So he can play this year but no post season...or he can sit for another 15 months and play a half season. 

This is true. As a follow-up, Moore and Kennedy actually could still transfer to schools that haven't passed the final official day to register for classes (i.e. Oregon, UCLA, and other schools on the quarter system). SMU is likely to appeal this and given the NCAA's history, there's a fairly decent chance the appeal stretches on long enough that March Madness will have already been played before a final decision reached. At this point, I'm sure Larry Brown is trying to convince the duo that will be the case.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2015, 03:14:51 PM »
SMU President was the co-chair of the Knight Commission on athletic reform.  The guy who hired Larry Brown despite his past.  The guy who just gave his "full support" to Brown despite the fact that athletic staff willfully engaged in academic fraud and Brown lied about it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2015, 09:13:50 PM »
SMU golf team also receiving penalties.    How corrupt does an institution have to be for a golf team to get penalized?

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/smu-golf-sanctioned-unethical-conduct-recruiting
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2015, 09:18:54 PM »
SMU golf team also receiving penalties.    How corrupt does an institution have to be for a golf team to get penalized?

http://www.golf.com/tour-and-news/smu-golf-sanctioned-unethical-conduct-recruiting

That's fantastic.

connie

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2015, 08:52:58 AM »
Obviously the NCAA is so pissed at UNC they hammered SMU because of it.
Perfectly describes my thoughts about the NCAA.
"Let's be careful out there."  Phil Esterhaus

muwarrior69

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2015, 08:54:11 AM »

SMU as a religious institution must be held to a higher standard than UNC , a state institution.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2015, 09:54:44 AM »

This priceless...

What are the penalties? A two martini limit on the 19th Hole?

Death on call

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2015, 10:02:03 AM »
I was working in Dallas back during the Pony Express days (Dickerson/James). At a party, some well heeled, highly lubricated  SMU alums started talking about/bragging on their teams success...and all there laughed, arrogantly enjoying the open bribery pay for play system.

Quotes like "best team money can buy", and   "we're finally out paying the others" kind of stunned me.

In the decades since I have come to know many more SMUers. There remains a small remorseless, wealthy faction that never has had a problem in "doing what it takes" to quickly assemble and enjoy a winner.

Whether its buying June Jones to kick start football, or grabbing Larry Brown, this group of oddies supporting SMU are happy to enjoy the quick success, and they take the NCAA slap arounds in stride...as one them said to me smiling..."its just a cost of doing business...and if business gets too good they'll come after us"...

I will admit this is just the Houston in me, here. It seems all Dallas pro teams are into buying the "quick expensive add on ", as opposed to drafting and developing. Texas Rangers almost every year sign some FA for crazy $$, and always have somebody on the MLB list of overpaid players. The Mavs eschew the draft (believe it or not Jae Crowder was their best pick in last 10 years) and annually the Mavs go for big splashy FA's. The Cowboys, under Jerry Jones (and post Jimmy Johnson) are an annual ...look who we signed this year to put us over the top...splashy signings. The pattern of the resulting failures of these teams gives me a very warm Shadenfruende (sp?). I shed no tears for SMU, either.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 12:15:41 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

MUchamp22

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2015, 10:04:25 AM »
UNC will get a slight slap on the wrist. When you pack arenas the way they do the NCAA tends to be a tad more lenient.

Is that what happened with Syracuse? They are #1 in attendance every year and they didn't get a slap on the wrist. I think UNC will get hit and hit hard

WellsstreetWanderer

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2015, 11:29:44 AM »
Fake classes and a department secretary handing out grades...  Sounds like an internet diploma mill.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #22 on: September 30, 2015, 06:46:31 PM »
The best part is the implication that 25 years ago initially lying to an NCAA investigation into academic fraud was acceptable.

Well, of course, that was unacceptable 25 years ago, but who knows, maybe the rules changed since then.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2015, 06:51:03 PM by Crean to Ann Arbor »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 30, 2015, 08:04:47 PM »
dont know much about SMU so i read their wiki page of notable alumni.

Jeff Skilling!

Pretty bad ass group of alums:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Southern_Methodist_University_people

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 30, 2015, 08:33:55 PM »
dont know much about SMU so i read their wiki page of notable alumni.

Jeff Skilling!

Pretty bad ass group of alums:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Southern_Methodist_University_people

This is why I could never figure out why they sucked at sports.  Tons of wealthy alums...right in the middle of Dallas.  They really should be the Methodist equivalent of Notre Dame.

feedback