[Today at 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[Today at 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[Today at 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[Today at 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Notre Dame Says They Will Leave The NCAA If Players Get Paid  (Read 15404 times)

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
Re: Notre Dame Says They Will Leave The NCAA If Players Get Paid
« Reply #75 on: September 30, 2015, 10:47:14 PM »
Just the data...thanks

So far in 2015 TV ratings

Week one  ND 3rd highest rated game
Week two  ND 2nd highest rated game
Week three ND  4th highest rated game

Overall, #2 thus far for the season in terms of total ratings.
Now for some analysis on top of that data.

ND's schedule has been so far against other top-draw teams (Texas, GT) during a season where they are ranked far better than their average spot.

Those ratings are outliers, and even so ratings do not equal influence.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2015, 10:48:49 PM »
Who's No. 1?

Alabama....barely.  Game against Wisconsin and Ole Miss both scored 4+ ratings.  But their other two games didn't register.  ND just barely behind, and likely will pass them this week.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2015, 10:50:06 PM »
Now for some analysis on top of that data.

ND's schedule has been so far against other top-draw teams (Texas, GT) during a season where they are ranked far better than their average spot.

Those ratings are outliers, and even so ratings do not equal influence.

Ratings don't equal influence?  Mr Allen, rating equal $$$$ and $$$$ equals influence. 

For your argument to hold up, Texas games against other opponents would be highly rated.  As would Ga. Tech this year.  They aren't.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #78 on: September 30, 2015, 10:51:16 PM »
I think two or three would've at least given Bama a decent game as opposed to whatever that was. 

I don't know if you're misquoting me or responding to someone else but I never said no one would care, I think plenty of people would care and I loath ND but it has nothing to do with self loathing.

Responding to two others.....Brandx was quoted so I read his nonsense.  Sultan...smart guy, honestly don't know why he's so wrong on this and saying such silly things, plus ignoring data.  Bias' can overcome logic for some.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #79 on: September 30, 2015, 10:55:25 PM »
I just use data...ratings..CLL purchases...etc.  Yours is strictly opinion, no data behind it at all.  Couldn't you at least fake it and try to come up with one data point? 

Fine.

Let's take a look at week 3.  (I am going to give ND the benefit of the doubt here because they had a decent opponent that week.)  Here were the ratings of the 2:30 Central Time slot:

http://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

Northern Illinois v. Ohio State:  5.25M viewers
Auburn v. LSU:  4.22M viewers
GT v. ND:  3.7M viewers
Nebraska v. Miami:  926k viewers
UTSA v. Ok State:  536k
Va Tech v. Purdue: 522k
W Kentucky v. Indiana: 164k

So according to this, there were 11.618M viewers watching college football during this timeframe.  31% were watching Notre Dame.  ND was playing a ranked team and couldn't beat out Ohio State playing a team from the MAC.

You still fail to grasp my point.  Notre Dame is valuable.  Notre Dame is watched.  And of course they are the most watched - they are the only school with a dedicated broadcast network.  But if Notre Dame leaves the NCAA, that 31%, or 3.7M fans, aren't going to stay home watching nothing.  The VAST majority are going to watch a different game. 

Notre Dame's *marginal value* to college football is low.  Every program's marginal value is low.  USC was at the height of college football a decade ago.  They slipped up, and the eyeballs went elsewhere.

I find it absolutely shocking that you actually worked in this industry and don't get this.  College football is WAY bigger than any one school.  ND leaves and college football fans will move on.  Hell, most ND fans will simply tune in to a different game.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #80 on: September 30, 2015, 11:01:07 PM »
Alabama....barely.  Game against Wisconsin and Ole Miss both scored 4+ ratings.  But their other two games didn't register.  ND just barely behind, and likely will pass them this week.

But again...you...don't...get...it.

It really isn't about who is #1.  It is about the percentage of the audience.  And the "most watched school" has become a smaller and smaller portion of the entire college football audience over time because there are games all over the place.

What do you think is the more logical outcome if ND leaves the NCAA?  The people watching those games no longer watch college football?  Or they simply watch another game?  I think by far it is the latter.

Hell, if the Green Bay Packers folded next week, I would still be watching the NFL.  So would most Packer fans.

Tugg Speedman

• All American

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #82 on: September 30, 2015, 11:18:40 PM »

But again...you...don't...get...it.

It really isn't about who is #1.  It is about the percentage of the audience.  And the "most watched school" has become a smaller and smaller portion of the entire college football audience over time because there are games all over the place.

What do you think is the more logical outcome if ND leaves the NCAA?  The people watching those games no longer watch college football?  Or they simply watch another game?  I think by far it is the latter.

Hell, if the Green Bay Packers folded next week, I would still be watching the NFL.  So would most Packer fans.

Oh I get TV ratings just fine, I've lived them for almost 20 years.  Yes, the share of the audience is going down...that doesn't mean NO one cares.  Let's also look at these ratings vs whatever everyone else is watching, and there is a reason why live sports is king right now and ND helps to deliver it.

I don't think your NFL analogy holds.  You're talking about a league with only 30 teams.  Less inventory, but high impact inventory.  If the Packers folded, the ratings would go down in this country and there absolutely would be some people that flat out stop watching football.  Others, wouldn't be impacted.

Nevertheless, I believe you guys are missing the point.  If ND truly followed through with this there would be other programs that would follow suit. Heck, it might even be like the NFL owners holding out the players.  If enough schools did it, they would make an enormous statement.  ND is one of the few schools that could do something like this and provide cover for many other programs to do the same.  Maybe you'll see one day where college football takes a year off, because the schools say no.  Perhaps in one of those years parts of the SEC plays, parts of the Big Ten, who knows, but there would definitely be schools, and major ones at that, which would not play.  There are enough academics out there would do it in a heartbeat.  To use your analogy, some of those academics believe dropping sports would still lead to them taking in great perspective students to educate.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #83 on: October 01, 2015, 05:59:18 AM »
Nevertheless, I believe you guys are missing the point.  If ND truly followed through with this there would be other programs that would follow suit. Heck, it might even be like the NFL owners holding out the players.  If enough schools did it, they would make an enormous statement.  ND is one of the few schools that could do something like this and provide cover for many other programs to do the same.  Maybe you'll see one day where college football takes a year off, because the schools say no.  Perhaps in one of those years parts of the SEC plays, parts of the Big Ten, who knows, but there would definitely be schools, and major ones at that, which would not play.  There are enough academics out there would do it in a heartbeat.  To use your analogy, some of those academics believe dropping sports would still lead to them taking in great perspective students to educate.

I'm not missing the point because I think you are wrong.  Not only would many schools *not* follow ND, I think ND itself wouldn't leave the NCAA.  I think this entire thing is a bluff to (once again) make themselves look good.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #84 on: October 01, 2015, 08:55:07 AM »
I can't believe you guys are being so shortsighted....

When ND tells you they'll leave the NCAA if they start paying players, you don't bitch about the merits of the NCAA paying/not paying players... you start writing checks immediately and show ND the door.

(my apologies if someone has touched on this, any ND thread over one page is TLDNR for me)
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #85 on: October 01, 2015, 09:44:46 AM »
EDIT: Grayson Allen beat me to it
« Last Edit: October 01, 2015, 09:47:12 AM by Michael Kenyon »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #86 on: October 01, 2015, 10:04:05 AM »

Fine.

Let's take a look at week 3.  (I am going to give ND the benefit of the doubt here because they had a decent opponent that week.)  Here were the ratings of the 2:30 Central Time slot:

So according to this, there were 11.618M viewers watching college football during this timeframe.  31% were watching Notre Dame.  ND was playing a ranked team and couldn't beat out Ohio State playing a team from the MAC.

You still fail to grasp my point.  Notre Dame is valuable.  Notre Dame is watched.  And of course they are the most watched - they are the only school with a dedicated broadcast network.  But if Notre Dame leaves the NCAA, that 31%, or 3.7M fans, aren't going to stay home watching nothing.  The VAST majority are going to watch a different game. 

Notre Dame's *marginal value* to college football is low.  Every program's marginal value is low.
  USC was at the height of college football a decade ago.  They slipped up, and the eyeballs went elsewhere.

I find it absolutely shocking that you actually worked in this industry and don't get this.  College football is WAY bigger than any one school.  ND leaves and college football fans will move on.  Hell, most ND fans will simply tune in to a different game.

These are great points, and I especially like the part I bolded. It's not ND or nothing. It's common sense.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #87 on: October 01, 2015, 11:32:42 AM »

Fine.

Notre Dame's *marginal value* to college football is low.  Every program's marginal value is low.  USC was at the height of college football a decade ago.  They slipped up, and the eyeballs went elsewhere.

Sir, well-put and kudos to you.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

MU82

• All American
« Reply #88 on: October 03, 2015, 11:30:55 PM »
Way to go my favorite team (this week): Clemson Tigers!

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #89 on: October 03, 2015, 11:44:19 PM »
How could God's team, and the world's moral and thought leader lose???!!!???

It must be the end of the world. 

Somewhere, Lou Holtz is drooling on himself.....again.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #90 on: October 04, 2015, 12:01:19 AM »
Guess I'll use this thread to comment on college football. Northwestern's defense is legit. Keefe, 6 pack bet next week vs your fightin Harbaughs?

MU82

• All American
« Reply #91 on: November 29, 2015, 12:12:46 AM »
This week's version of My Favorite Team won: Stanford!

It saved us all from listening to the Domers spend the next week whining about their ranking and begging for a spot in the playoff.

And somehow, without Notre Dame, the playoffs will draw big ratings and crown a champion.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #92 on: November 29, 2015, 12:17:06 AM »
This week's version of My Favorite Team won: Stanford!

It saved us all from listening to the Domers spend the next week whining about their ranking and begging for a spot in the playoff.

And somehow, without Notre Dame, the playoffs will draw big ratings and crown a champion.

All true, but Notre Dame drew a ton of viewership on their own all year long.  Will finish in the top 5 again, despite what some were saying in this thread.  They command a lot of eyeballs and are a major player in college football. 

MU82

• All American
« Reply #93 on: November 29, 2015, 12:21:49 AM »
All true, but Notre Dame drew a ton of viewership on their own all year long.  Will finish in the top 5 again, despite what some were saying in this thread.  They command a lot of eyeballs and are a major player in college football.

Already acknowledged the attractiveness of ND earlier in the thread. They have the biggest combo of lovers and haters in college football.

I am firmly in the latter category. I used to really rag on the Marquetters who hated ND in basketball but loved them in football. I only love the team playing them each week!

77ncaachamps

• All American
  • Last of the Warrior Class
« Reply #94 on: November 29, 2015, 12:21:58 AM »
And so a school that is huge with alumni everywhere will be paying huge dollars and defining what a STAR is. 

You will have a more corrupt system than today.

Big state schools will dominate.

Besides, are people going to Alabama games because of three or four guys or because it is Alabama?  Why are we singling guys out?

With Tax Payer dollars nonethless.
SS Marquette

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #95 on: November 29, 2015, 12:29:30 AM »
Gotta love the smart private schools success this year. Stanford 10-2 and my Wildcats somehow were 10-2 this year. Hoping for anarchy next week for a Northwestern Peach Bowl appearance but the Outback bowl is a ok with me.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #96 on: November 29, 2015, 12:35:35 AM »
Just saw Brian Kelly postgame. Managed to get a little crying in after the loss, talking about his lads being "only two plays from being undefeated."

I suppose that's true.

Of course, it's also true that they were a few plays away from being 6-6 if they had lost to Virginia, Georgia Tech, Temple and Boston Freakin College.

Woulda-coulda-shouldas are for loosahs!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #97 on: November 29, 2015, 10:40:54 AM »

Classic Chicos.  Assert something no one disputed in order to act like some sort of sage, but completely ignore the point that people were making.

If Notre Dame leaves the NCAA, college football will be just fine.  Them deciding to leave will have little impact on the overall popularity of college football.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #98 on: November 29, 2015, 10:43:16 AM »
Oh and Notre Dame needs to join a conference to be a significant player in the College Football Playoff.  As it stands now, they pretty much have to be perfect and that has proved to be difficult.  Now they may not care enough about the playoff to sacrifice independence, and I would understand that decision, but as it stands it is very difficult for them to qualify.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #99 on: November 29, 2015, 11:52:03 AM »

Classic Chicos.  Assert something no one disputed in order to act like some sort of sage, but completely ignore the point that people were making.

If Notre Dame leaves the NCAA, college football will be just fine.  Them deciding to leave will have little impact on the overall popularity of college football.

Actually it was said....in fact the words were

"And ND can leave all they want.  No one will care."

Then the double down.... "Fine Notre Dame fans would care.  No one else would."

Then the triple down.... Only Notre Dame fans and self loathers like Chicos think that Notre Dame matters that much. If they went away, college football and college athletics would be just fine.

Which were just stupid statements....if no one cared, they wouldn't be in the top 5 for viewership year after year after year after year.

By the way, those words were yours.

And no, college football and athletics would not be "just fine" as there would be other schools that followed suit because they have that kind of pull.

Classic Sultan, says something then pretends he didn't say it.....three times

feedback