Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette strips Bill Cosby of Honorary degree  (Read 13869 times)

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
Re: Marquette strips Bill Cosby of Honorary degree
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2015, 09:09:17 PM »
So, if you were a commencement speaker for Marquette University you'd leave that off your resume?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2015, 10:04:24 PM »
It's only fitting, given the number of co-eds Cosby stripped after slipping 'em roofies!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2015, 05:46:05 AM »
So, rescinding a honorary degree for criminal conduct even before such conduct results in criminal charges is not fast enough for you?  I can't say that I'm surprised you're solidly in favor of rushing to judgment when it comes to rescinding honorary degrees.  As a graduate, all that I ask is that once such a situation is brought to the attention of the University, they have the integrity to take action.  I'm not in favor of asking that Marquette constantly monitor all it's honorary degree recipients so that it can rescind such degrees for unethical or criminal behavior at the earliest possible date.
Count me surprised that you'd spend time guessing what opinion I might form.

1) Rescinding an honorary degree is an empty gesture, and I don't care either way
2) While the extent of his crimes weren't widely discussed, it was public knowledge since 2005 (3 years before his MU commencement speech) that Bill Cosby had been publicly accused of rape by 13 women. It "blew up" only with the combination of the Hannibal Burress joke and Cosby PR "Meme" challenge.
3) The broader "publicizing" of his attacks came in October of 2014 - nearly one year before MU rescinded of the degree.

Regardless it's meaningless since an honorary degree doesn't mean anything more than the $ MU paid in speaking fees, but:

A) This was "known" prior to 2008, especially to anyone who had chosen to vet the speaker.
B) It took MU 1 year after the public became outraged/aware of the extent of his alleged crimes

I don't think either reflect terribly positively on Marquette. They didn't care about the rape accusations of 13 women in 2008, but now they do?

What even happens when you rescind an honorary degree other than issue a press release claiming moral high ground?

Pardon my lack of backflips for the strength and moral fortitude of this weak PR move.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 05:53:20 AM by Grayson Allen »
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2015, 08:57:58 AM »
I remain unconvinced, but I appreciate a differing opinion so well  articulated.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2015, 09:15:10 AM »
Colonel Russell Williams of the Royal Canadian Air Force was being groomed for the highest echelon of leadership. He was selected to fly Queen Elizabeth around Canada during a Royal Visit. I met him during a visit to CFB Cold Lake, AB and he looked the part - handsome, articulate, and confident.

It was later discovered he was a serial rapist and murderer, including women in his command (there is no greater sin for an officer than to betray the trust of command.)  After being convicted of a number of crimes the RCAF stripped Williams of all his awards and decorations. They also staged a ceremony in which his dress uniform was burned.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/uniform-burning-exorcism-of-memory-of-russell-williams/article1314851/

I think the RCAF was justified in burning a proud uniform stained by an animal who was not worthy of the privilege. In the same way, Marquette needed to withdraw an honor to a person who was not who he claimed to be.

This is an AWESOME statement from the RCAF.  Every once in a while our neighbors to the North do something fantastic - add this to the list that includes John Candy, Rush, and a certain point guard.

Would the Marquette equivalent be a public sprinkling of holy water on a degree?

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #30 on: September 26, 2015, 09:25:27 AM »
This is an AWESOME statement from the RCAF.  Every once in a while our neighbors to the North do something fantastic - add this to the list that includes John Candy, Rush, and a certain point guard.

Would the Marquette equivalent be a public sprinkling of holy water on a degree?

While chanting; "The power of Christ compels you!"

#It burns, it burns!
« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 09:27:23 AM by Crean to Ann Arbor »

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #31 on: September 26, 2015, 10:17:05 AM »
So, if you were a commencement speaker for Marquette University you'd leave that off your resume?
The answer is Yes ,... Hell, yes.... Why?
Its the difference between accomplishment and honor.

Accomplishment:
At a commencement we have a pool of graduates who have accomplished much by study and hard work. The School then confers an earned degree, confirming  to the world that a serious, accredited institution, MU , puts its mark on your completed work. An earned degree is an accomplishment. Employers looking at your resume want to know about your skills, expertise, and accomplishments. An earned degree has resume "value" because it tells the employer....I have studied and mastered the skills to do your job. Your resume always includes earned degrees because it denotes accomplishment. Substance should be on your resume.

Honor:
If it helps you understand this, lets call an Honorary degree ....a "pretend" degree. In theory, only a very few, special people get these. These are purportedly people who are beyond needing to bolster or build their resume....their accomplishments are very substantial . Commencement speakers are to be those who have already accomplished in the world, people who have great success and who speak to the grads to give them their wisdom and advice from a perspective of..."I have already made the world my oyster, so let me tell you grads how to crack open your oyster". Accordingly anyone speaking at a commencement is accomplished beyond needing to, or even wanting to add to his resume a..." I spoke at an MU graduation" entry. In fact if they were speaking at commencement as a " resume builder". I would argue they are not yet sufficiently accomplished. on their own,  to even qualify as a speaker. So, no ... no one speaking at a commencement should ever be at a point in life where the speaking gig is an "accomplishment" worthy of resume inclusion....their life accomplishments and skills should be so surpassing that the speaking gig should only appear in a resume under : Hobbies, Charitable Work, and Non work related activities and Honors.

An accomplishment is something you do, personal to you...it is resume worthy.

An honor is what the school thinks of you... IT is saying we think well of, and we honor you...for your accomplishments.

Cosby cheapened and harmed MU. MU stuck its neck out to publicly honor Cosby's achievements, and IT attached the MU honorary to add ITS imprimatur and recognition to this man.

Think of it this way...the next time someone gets an honorary from MU...the press will rightfully note that ... well, yes, ...but that is also the school that gave serial rapist Bill Cosby an honorary degree...   an honor from MU is cheapened and will be asterisked because the Coz couldn't control his dick. Ironic.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2015, 10:21:34 AM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

• All American
« Reply #32 on: September 26, 2015, 10:20:59 AM »
I remain unconvinced, but I appreciate a differing opinion so well  articulated.
boy I hope that's sincere because that's about the best I can do!
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: September 26, 2015, 04:25:44 PM »
Can the university rescind normal degrees for non-academic fraud situations? I just find it dumb to rewrite history. The guy was honored in front of tens of thousands of people and you let him address graduates. What does rescinding this degree do? Are you going to tell people who were there that this didn't happen? You allowed Bill Crosby to market the school, and now you should have to live with the consequences.

An honorary degree is given by a school to recognize someone's contributions to society. Rescinding it when something like this arises later is a perfect response. No one is denying he was honored. No one is rewriting history.

And no organization simply "deals with the consequences" of its PR decisions. It constantly acts reactively and proactively.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #34 on: September 27, 2015, 06:07:45 PM »
Colonel Russell Williams of the Royal Canadian Air Force was being groomed for the highest echelon of leadership. He was selected to fly Queen Elizabeth around Canada during a Royal Visit. I met him during a visit to CFB Cold Lake, AB and he looked the part - handsome, articulate, and confident.

It was later discovered he was a serial rapist and murderer, including women in his command (there is no greater sin for an officer than to betray the trust of command.)  After being convicted of a number of crimes the RCAF stripped Williams of all his awards and decorations. They also staged a ceremony in which his dress uniform was burned.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/uniform-burning-exorcism-of-memory-of-russell-williams/article1314851/

I think the RCAF was justified in burning a proud uniform stained by an animal who was not worthy of the privilege. In the same way, Marquette needed to withdraw an honor to a person who was not who he claimed to be.
Thanks for the reference.

With your posting, I checked my Netflix streaming queue and located the Movie on Williams story... , "An Officer and a Murderer" (2012), starring Gary Cole( as Russell Williams) and Laura Harris. Its one of those Lifetime network (chick flick- lol) movies.

If you wanna see what a 180 degree  fraudulent life he lead, its worth a watch. Not great, but   its a  pretty decent watch (1hr 28min).

Although based in Canada, I was able to understand most of the Canadian spoken in the movie, so you really don't have to set it to close captioning. lol
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #35 on: September 27, 2015, 06:22:29 PM »
My guess is that someone (or several people) formally asked Marquette to rescind the honorary degree.  I actually considered doing that myself.

At that point, Marquette's choices were A) ignore the request, B) reply that they considered the request, and they decided not to rescind the honor, or C) revoke the honorary degree.

You can have any opinion you want regarding the value of the honorary degree, but even if you believe it is worthless, then the school has nothing to lose by taking it back.
Have some patience, FFS.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #36 on: September 27, 2015, 06:24:50 PM »
My guess is that someone (or several people) formally asked Marquette to rescind the honorary degree.  I actually considered doing that myself.

At that point, Marquette's choices were A) ignore the request, B) reply that they considered the request, and they decided not to rescind the honor, or C) revoke the honorary degree.

You can have any opinion you want regarding the value of the honorary degree, but even if you believe it is worthless, then the school has nothing to lose by taking it back.

Exactly.  Marquette takes it seriously.  They even have the process outlined online.

http://www.marquette.edu/universityhonors/honorary_degrees_nominations.shtml

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #37 on: September 27, 2015, 11:49:34 PM »
Too bad Walker dropped out of the race...there was an honorary degree up for grabs.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #38 on: September 28, 2015, 12:10:04 AM »
Thanks for the reference.

With your posting, I checked my Netflix streaming queue and located the Movie on Williams story... , "An Officer and a Murderer" (2012), starring Gary Cole( as Russell Williams) and Laura Harris. Its one of those Lifetime network (chick flick- lol) movies.

If you wanna see what a 180 degree  fraudulent life he lead, its worth a watch. Not great, but   its a  pretty decent watch (1hr 28min).

Although based in Canada, I was able to understand most of the Canadian spoken in the movie, so you really don't have to set it to close captioning. lol

Williams met with us when we arrived at Cold Lake to work with the RCAF teams. He was the Fighter Pilot from Central Casting. The man was warm, gracious, and exceedingly professional. In a word everyone on our team was impressed.

When we got word of his real story we were shocked and appalled. It did not seem possible that the man we met was capable of such savagery. You just never know.

Death on call

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2015, 08:48:49 AM »
Too bad Walker dropped out of the race...there was an honorary degree up for grabs.
F You.

To mention Scott Walker and Bill Cosby together in this post is shameful.  You may not agree with Scott Walker politically but he is a great husband and father. 

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2015, 08:52:03 AM »
F You.

To mention Scott Walker and Bill Cosby together in this post is shameful.  You may not agree with Scott Walker politically but he is a great husband and father.

I think that was a joke about Scott not completing his degree. I don't think anyone is calling him a rapist.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2015, 09:08:08 AM »
F You.

Sensitive boy.

• All American
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2015, 09:12:10 AM »
F You.

yikes

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2015, 10:48:38 AM »
F You.

It was in teal.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #44 on: September 28, 2015, 03:57:10 PM »
F You.

um...what?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #45 on: September 28, 2015, 04:18:22 PM »
F You.

Wow, don't like Walker bur look at the teal. Nobody truly believes that, not even the most left of us. Also, are you Walkers son, the amount of times I heard him yell and swear at people over 4 years is eerily similar to your post.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #46 on: September 28, 2015, 04:31:00 PM »
F You.

?

Maigh Eo for Sam

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #47 on: September 29, 2015, 07:51:08 AM »

That.  Is.  Awesome.

You know, now that you have brought this case to my attention, I actually think Marquette didn't revoke the degree "enough."  I think MU could have held a ceremony in which Cosby hands back the degree and then Lovell places it in a paper shredder, pulls a match out of his pocket (simultaneously striking it), and tosses it back, setting the shredder ablaze, all while staring Cosby dead in the eye, the crowd chanting "We Are Marquette--You Are Not"

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #48 on: September 29, 2015, 12:11:42 PM »
F You.

I apologize.  After I looked again, I was overly harsh, obviously.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #49 on: September 29, 2015, 12:13:34 PM »

feedback