[Today at 08:10:52 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by avid1010
[Today at 07:48:11 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by tower912
[Today at 05:47:31 PM]

Does Bucky NOT have a Basketball NIL? by WhiteTrash
[Today at 03:52:54 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Marquette strips Bill Cosby of Honorary degree  (Read 13871 times)

Sir Lawrence

• All American
Marquette strips Bill Cosby of Honorary degree
« on: September 24, 2015, 03:27:53 PM »
http://www.jsonline.com/news/education/marquette-university-strips-bill-cosby-of-honorary-degree-b99583730z1-329253351.html

From the article:  "the same day Fordham University stripped its honorary degree from the actor accused of being a serial rapist who drugged his victims. "
Ludum habemus.

Eldon

• All American
Re: Marquette strips Bill Cosby of Honorary degree
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 03:32:01 PM »
Shhh....You hear those sirens?....OH CRAP, here come the Superbar police!! RUN FOR IT

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2015, 03:55:00 PM »
http://www.jsonline.com/news/education/marquette-university-strips-bill-cosby-of-honorary-degree-b99583730z1-329253351.html

From the article:  "the same day Fordham University stripped its honorary degree from the actor accused of being a serial rapist who drugged his victims. "

Bold stand.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2015, 04:17:06 PM »
I dont  know how much value some place on an Honorary MU degree...maybe $300 ...per ebay. lol

I guess it was about a year or two ago...After his death...The family of Robert Kennum (sp.?) a/k/a Captain Kangaroo auctioned his Honorary MU Doctor of letters degree certificate on eBay...and it sold for about $300 .

I am pretty sure I paid more for my degree...lol.
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2015, 06:12:11 PM »
I dont  know how much value some place on an Honorary MU degree...maybe $300 ...per ebay. lol

I guess it was about a year or two ago...After his death...The family of Robert Kennum (sp.?) a/k/a Captain Kangaroo auctioned his Honorary MU Doctor of letters degree certificate on eBay...and it sold for about $300 .

So...logic goes that a very rare revoked honorary degree would probably be worth more - I can't believe Marquette played right into his hands.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2015, 06:15:09 PM »
<a href="http://youtu.be/K-8viQ950SI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://youtu.be/K-8viQ950SI</a>

Squirmy....

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2015, 07:25:18 PM »
Wise decision.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2015, 10:12:26 PM »
There are empty gestures and there are empty gestures...
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 24, 2015, 10:22:30 PM »
<a href="http://youtu.be/K-8viQ950SI" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://youtu.be/K-8viQ950SI</a>

Squirmy....

Did he get his associate degree at a JUCO or something?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 24, 2015, 10:55:14 PM »
Did he get his associate degree at a JUCO or something?

GED

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 24, 2015, 11:04:36 PM »
GED

And a non-traditional.

Squirmy, indeed.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 24, 2015, 11:51:42 PM »
Pilarz was down with his wine, a na?
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: September 24, 2015, 11:58:59 PM »
Temple University, after flunking out of the 10th grade and then going into the Navy.  Came back later to earn a track scholarship at Temple and played football there as well.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #13 on: September 25, 2015, 10:17:26 AM »
There are empty gestures and there are empty gestures...

An empty gesture is better than no gesture at all.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #14 on: September 25, 2015, 10:19:55 AM »
An empty gesture is better than no gesture at all.

I congratulate you for this comment.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #15 on: September 25, 2015, 11:21:24 AM »
What is amazing is the degree of hypocrisy exhibited by Cosby. He had the audacity to lecture very publicly wayward members of his ethnic community while preying privately on vulnerable women. I will admit to having been hoodwinked by this charlatan.

I rather doubt Marquette's and Fordham's actions have much texture with Cosby who is completely immersed in an unraveling tangle of fraud, duplicity, and sexual predation.

Though it might not have registered with Cosby Marquette's action was certainly correct and appropriate.

Death on call

Hubert Davis

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: September 25, 2015, 02:12:54 PM »

Superbar

JuniorCardigan

• Walk-On
« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2015, 02:33:44 PM »

Not a particularly surprising move.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA4yuz8qgj4

We should have known all along.

BobWildLoyalist

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2015, 03:15:03 PM »
I heard he did something weird with a Bunsen burner in the Wehr Life Sciences building before he gave the commencement speech.

martyconlonontherun

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2015, 04:58:01 PM »
Can the university rescind normal degrees for non-academic fraud situations? I just find it dumb to rewrite history. The guy was honored in front of tens of thousands of people and you let him address graduates. What does rescinding this degree do? Are you going to tell people who were there that this didn't happen? You allowed Bill Crosby to market the school, and now you should have to live with the consequences.

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 25, 2015, 05:10:13 PM »
Can the university rescind normal degrees for non-academic fraud situations? I just find it dumb to rewrite history. The guy was honored in front of tens of thousands of people and you let him address graduates. What does rescinding this degree do? Are you going to tell people who were there that this didn't happen? You allowed Bill Crosby to market the school, and now you should have to live with the consequences.
This. I don't really think there are "consequences" that MU faces regardless. I don't think anyone was thinking that, by awarding Cosby the honorary degree 7 years ago, MU was condoning rape.

We were all duped, and Cosby is a hypocrite.

Personally I feel like the rescinding of the degree this late in the game maybe even makes MU look a little bad. Why not just do it right away if at all.... we've known he's a rapist for several months now. If you didn't rescind it right away, why bother now?
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #21 on: September 25, 2015, 05:14:20 PM »

Colonel Russell Williams of the Royal Canadian Air Force was being groomed for the highest echelon of leadership. He was selected to fly Queen Elizabeth around Canada during a Royal Visit. I met him during a visit to CFB Cold Lake, AB and he looked the part - handsome, articulate, and confident.

It was later discovered he was a serial rapist and murderer, including women in his command (there is no greater sin for an officer than to betray the trust of command.)  After being convicted of a number of crimes the RCAF stripped Williams of all his awards and decorations. They also staged a ceremony in which his dress uniform was burned.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/uniform-burning-exorcism-of-memory-of-russell-williams/article1314851/

I think the RCAF was justified in burning a proud uniform stained by an animal who was not worthy of the privilege. In the same way, Marquette needed to withdraw an honor to a person who was not who he claimed to be.

Death on call

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 25, 2015, 06:37:51 PM »

The honorary degree that was Bob Keeshan's is still Bob Keeshan's degree, even after his death.  All that was sold on eBay was the paper evidencing his honorary degree.

In contrast, the honorary degree that was Bill Cosby's is now gone, even if Cosby still has the piece of paper evidencing that he once held such an honor.

I'm sure that the value of an honorary degree from Marquette during one's lifetime is certainly more than what can be gotten for the piece of paper signifying that degree as a memento after one's death.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 06:40:54 PM by Crean to Ann Arbor »

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 25, 2015, 06:51:01 PM »
This. I don't really think there are "consequences" that MU faces regardless. I don't think anyone was thinking that, by awarding Cosby the honorary degree 7 years ago, MU was condoning rape.

We were all duped, and Cosby is a hypocrite.

Personally I feel like the rescinding of the degree this late in the game maybe even makes MU look a little bad. Why not just do it right away if at all.... we've known he's a rapist for several months now. If you didn't rescind it right away, why bother now?

So, rescinding a honorary degree for criminal conduct even before such conduct results in criminal charges is not fast enough for you?  I can't say that I'm surprised you're solidly in favor of rushing to judgment when it comes to rescinding honorary degrees.  As a graduate, all that I ask is that once such a situation is brought to the attention of the University, they have the integrity to take action.  I'm not in favor of asking that Marquette constantly monitor all it's honorary degree recipients so that it can rescind such degrees for unethical or criminal behavior at the earliest possible date.

HouWarrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 25, 2015, 08:23:39 PM »
The honorary degree that was Bob Keeshan's is still Bob Keeshan's degree, even after his death.  All that was sold on eBay was the paper evidencing his honorary degree.

In contrast, the honorary degree that was Bill Cosby's is now gone, even if Cosby still has the piece of paper evidencing that he once held such an honor.

I'm sure that the value of an honorary degree from Marquette during one's lifetime is certainly more than what can be gotten for the piece of paper signifying that degree as a memento after one's death.

My post had at least two lol's...indicating simply,...humor. Selling the certificate for $300 on Ebay, to me .... was a funny, quirky story.

If actually you wish to make serious on the "value" of an honorary degree...think about it...

An honorary degree has NO value. Zip, zero, Nada. You don't get a job with one. It is not conferred for the completion of any coursework. Its simply a thank you reward for attending our commencement. The MU paid airfare, and hotel had more actual measurable monetary value, than the honorary degree.

Unlike the Kagaroo's  certificate(fetching an actual $300) you cant post your honorary degree online and sell or transfer it to a high bidder. It is nontransferable, and MU controls its existence.

I was conferred by others with things like the National Honor Society, and National Merit Scholar...But it never has been a thought to try  to name them as assets on my personal financial statement.

Honorary Degrees are little more than "atta boys"... a school's way of saying ..."we think you have done special things in your life"
Whatever "special things", or good that Cosby brought to the world has been totally destroyed by his (current count) bevy of over 50 women claiming sexual assaults/non consensual/roofie rapes.

MU now simply amends it former atta boy to say...sorry but the horrible bad you have done outweighs the good...so we rescind our former atta boy. Seems fair and well deserved Why should MU continue an association to him when the full story (if known by us, back then ) would never even had MU inviting Cosby to appear or  speak.

To put perspective on the Cosby accuser club size...a comedian noted...

it would be like every contestant in the Miss America pageant claiming they were sexually assaulted by Bert Parks. And, of course,  Miss Congeniality was the one who agreed to go out with him a second time. There she is....... Miss I drugged and F$%ked You!!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 08:37:08 PM by houwarrior »
I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it.