[April 18, 2024, 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[April 18, 2024, 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[April 18, 2024, 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[April 18, 2024, 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Another Big East Expansion Discussion  (Read 44979 times)

SERocks

• Team Captain
Another Big East Expansion Discussion
« on: September 23, 2015, 01:46:59 PM »
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25312472/college-hoops-mailbag-ohio-states-retooling-big-east-expansion

Interesting comments on the dilution of money.  I don't recall seeing that anywhere else that the contract will expand to count for expansion of the league.

SE

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
Re: Another Big East Expansion Discussion
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2015, 01:58:59 PM »
http://www.cbssports.com/collegebasketball/eye-on-college-basketball/25312472/college-hoops-mailbag-ohio-states-retooling-big-east-expansion

Interesting comments on the dilution of money.  I don't recall seeing that anywhere else that the contract will expand to count for expansion of the league.

SE
thanks for posting. I still think SLU & Gonzaga are the two that should be added. The incremental $100M more than covers any non-revenue sports travel costs.

Add the best teams available!
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 23, 2015, 02:05:28 PM »
thanks for posting. I still think SLU & Gonzaga are the two that should be added. The incremental $100M more than covers any non-revenue sports travel costs.

SLU is a likely candidate. Gonzaga will never join. Every road game for them would be a journey.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 23, 2015, 02:06:07 PM »

Yeah that was mentioned however I do think that it isn't as simple as the BE can add whomever it wants.  I am sure that Fox does get some say in this. 

Right now I don't think adding anyone makes a great deal of sense.  It's not as though any schools are going to get snapped up by another conference.  I do think if Dayton continues to perform they would make sense.  SLU is another market so that's good.

One school not mentioned is Denver.  If they can improve their basketball program, and since they are LAX members already, they might be a decent addition.  (But only if they SUBSTANTIALLY get better on the basketball court.)

DJO's Jaw

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2015, 02:11:16 PM »

As much as I would love having Gonzaga, it's never going to happen. The geography is just too much of a hurdle.

I would love to add Wichita State now that it seems Gregg Marshall may stick around awhile. Other than them, I would take Richmond, UCONN (if they ditch football or play in another conference), Temple (same as UCONN), or Dayton. Not a big fan of adding SLU.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2015, 02:12:29 PM »
Oh and I should add, let's see what happens to UConn, Temple and Memphis in the next 5-6 years.  If the football landscape substantially changes, they would be great additions.

There simply is no reason to rush.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2015, 02:15:03 PM »
It's also a private Catholic school like seven of the other [Big East] member institutions.

Somebody just earned a spot on Benny's "Myron" list.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2015, 02:22:44 PM »
I would take Archie Miller and the ghost of Rick Majerus -- SLU and Dayton though?  No thanks.

Coleman

• All American
« Reply #8 on: September 23, 2015, 02:37:25 PM »
Oh and I should add, let's see what happens to UConn, Temple and Memphis in the next 5-6 years.  If the football landscape substantially changes, they would be great additions.

There simply is no reason to rush.

You could add 2 now (SLU and Dayton) and add 2 more later if UConn, Temple or Memphis if the opportunity presents itself.

There isn't a reason to rush, but there isn't a good reason to wait either.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2015, 02:40:54 PM »
You could add 2 now (SLU and Dayton) and add 2 more later if UConn, Temple or Memphis if the opportunity presents itself.

There isn't a reason to rush, but there isn't a good reason to wait either.

SLU and Dayton being the best current options is a good reason to wait, IMHO.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: September 23, 2015, 03:03:40 PM »
Gonzaga and a western travel partner. I originally thought st. Mary's but they went the wrong way fast. Sultans suggestion of Denver is interesting. I would want to see massive improvements in basketball before we go down that road. They have a large endowment and are pretty dominant in other sports. Not to mention a large market. I think BYU makes the most sense right now. Great bball program, independent football, strong academics, and a fanatical worldwide fan base.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2015, 03:21:51 PM »
If Nova (Philly) is already in the Beast, why would we want Temple (Philly)? Who is next LaSalle.......Drexel......Penn?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2015, 03:24:41 PM »
If Nova (Philly) is already in the Beast, why would we want Temple (Philly)? Who is next LaSalle.......Drexel......Penn?

Because they are a good basketball program.  We have two teams in the NYC metro area.  Other major conferences have schools that share television markets.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2015, 04:13:19 PM »
I can only think of one person connected to MU hoops who might be excited about adding UD to the Big East.

I'm on-board with DU, however.  Love that campus, the best sushi restaurant in America (not within 50 miles of an ocean) is nearby, and honestly, tell me what could be better than a weekend road trip to Colorado in Jan/Feb?

Skiing, craft beer, sushi and MU hoops... if this happens, don't wake me because I'm already dead.

Dibs on Rocky's couch.

Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2015, 04:16:41 PM »
Gonzaga and a western travel partner. I originally thought st. Mary's but they went the wrong way fast. Sultans suggestion of Denver is interesting. I would want to see massive improvements in basketball before we go down that road. They have a large endowment and are pretty dominant in other sports. Not to mention a large market. I think BYU makes the most sense right now. Great bball program, independent football, strong academics, and a fanatical worldwide fan base.

I obviously like the Gonzaga idea, and the idea of bringing a western travel partner along with them.

BYU, San Diego State, UNLV and New Mexico would all be good basketball options. But they all have D1 football - why would they be interested in joining a basketball conference and alienate the spot the probably makes them more $$?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 23, 2015, 04:23:56 PM »
BYU is a football independent though.

That being said, I don't quite understand the notion of a "travel partner."  It's not as though these teams travel together.  It just means you have one road trip shorter than the rest.

mu72warrior

• Starter
« Reply #16 on: September 23, 2015, 04:31:30 PM »
Since Majerus left SLU isn't the same team and I don't think they"ll  bring much to the conference. I'd rather have Dayton than Slu

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 23, 2015, 04:39:55 PM »
Another BE Expansion discussion...

Fiiiiiiiine.  I'll join in. (Full disclosure: I believe my first Scoop post was about BE Expansion)

Good Adds, Actually Possible
*Nobody 
*I like the round robin (Richmond is not worth giving it up )

Good Adds, Not Possible
*UCONN
-Good: they are a blueblood (yes, yes they are)
-Not Possible: they won't drop fball
*Temple
-Good: solid history, Philly is TV numbers and recruiting, plus we can stake a claim (ACC may want a school like Temple, seeing as how the ACC doesn't have Philly-based school)
-Not Possible: Nova would certainly block this
*Zags
-Good: academics, Catholic, great program, new recruiting ground
-Not Possible: mileage and four time zones away from half the conference
*Memphis
-Good: history, commitment to program
-Not Possible: IIRC, they have had two decent seasons of football
*Cincy
-Good: history, commitment to program
-Not Possible: they have all but begged the ACC to join, X would block

Bad Adds, Possible
*VCU
-Bad: Come on.  You saw their fanbase.  Plus, Shaka is gone. 
*SLU
-Bad: I like that they're Catholic and have solid academics.  Basketball not yet proven IMO
*Richmond, Detroit, Duquesne, Fordham, and all the rest of "these types of schools"

Bad Adds, Possible
*Dayton
-Bad: Hot towels!! WINE LIST!
-Not Possible: X is in Cincy, which is like 55 miles from Dayton.  They would block the add

Eldon

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2015, 04:45:04 PM »

Yeah that was mentioned however I do think that it isn't as simple as the BE can add whomever it wants.  I am sure that Fox does get some say in this. 

Right now I don't think adding anyone makes a great deal of sense.  It's not as though any schools are going to get snapped up by another conference.  I do think if Dayton continues to perform they would make sense.  SLU is another market so that's good.

One school not mentioned is Denver.  If they can improve their basketball program, and since they are LAX members already, they might be a decent addition.  (But only if they SUBSTANTIALLY get better on the basketball court.)

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2015, 04:45:29 PM »

Because they are a good basketball program.  We have two teams in the NYC metro area.  Other major conferences have schools that share television markets.

Good may be a little bit of a stretch regarding Temple.

If UConn would move football somewhere else.....they would be the choice.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 23, 2015, 04:46:38 PM »
BYU is a football independent though.

That being said, I don't quite understand the notion of a "travel partner."  It's not as though these teams travel together.  It just means you have one road trip shorter than the rest.

Exactly... if you play on the road in Spokane on Tuesday night, the NCAA doesn't allow you to fly to San Fran afterwards for your Saturday afternoon game.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 23, 2015, 05:11:05 PM »
Exactly... if you play on the road in Spokane on Tuesday night, the NCAA doesn't allow you to fly to San Fran afterwards for your Saturday afternoon game.

That's why the BE would schedule every team's road trips to these schools back to back and on a shorter turnaround. Nonrevenue sports do this even for "short" trips (SoCal to NorCal).
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 23, 2015, 05:19:53 PM »
Good may be a little bit of a stretch regarding Temple.

If UConn would move football somewhere else.....they would be the choice.

They have the 5th most victories all time and the same number of NCAA appearances as us. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 23, 2015, 05:37:02 PM »
UConn, Memphis and/ or Wichita State would make BE stronger.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 23, 2015, 05:38:37 PM »
Clarify-----The aforementioned three if they drop football.