[Today at 12:53:48 PM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU82
[Today at 12:50:47 PM]

MU Gear by Hards Alumni
[Today at 12:18:52 PM]

Shaka 2024-2025 by wadesworld
[Today at 09:00:02 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Darrlyn Willis - Juco PF 2016  (Read 48221 times)

4everwarriors

• All American
Re: Darrlyn Willis - Juco PF 2016
« Reply #75 on: September 25, 2015, 03:44:44 PM »
There are millions of reasons why most of us feel he's gone, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #76 on: September 25, 2015, 03:50:26 PM »
There's a big jump from moderate financial security to multiple commas on your bank account balance. Tough (maybe even dumb) to put that aside for soft sentimental reasons.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #77 on: September 25, 2015, 06:05:11 PM »
@WORLDHOOPERFED: Pearl River (JC) standout Darryl Willis has offers from Mississippi State, Memphis, Wichita State, Arizona State, Iowa State, & Marquette

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #78 on: September 25, 2015, 07:05:47 PM »
Willis is a different player than anyone on the current roster.  Might be a better natural rebounder and shotblocker than anyone at Marquette right now and keeps improving his offensive skills.  I could see Henry moving to the 3 on offense and to play with Willis and Fischer at times.

OMG, could this be the rebounding forward whose coming was foretold?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

DJO's Jaw

• All American
« Reply #79 on: October 13, 2015, 09:59:04 PM »
Willis is moving his visit to Marquette from this weekend to next weekend.

https://twitter.com/wisbbyearbook/status/654127780750225410

MU82

• All American
« Reply #80 on: October 13, 2015, 11:21:03 PM »
I guess we'd all better change our screen names to Willis something.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #81 on: October 14, 2015, 09:22:10 AM »
Willis is moving his visit to Marquette from this weekend to next weekend.

https://twitter.com/wisbbyearbook/status/654127780750225410

Disappointed by this, mainly because the reason he put off his Marquette visit was so that he could visit Mississippi State this weekend. Wouldn't surprise me if Howland is making a big recruiting weekend using the football game cupcake as a selling point. Bulldogs host Louisiana Tech Saturday.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #82 on: October 14, 2015, 09:46:15 AM »
Disappointed by this, mainly because the reason he put off his Marquette visit was so that he could visit Mississippi State this weekend. Wouldn't surprise me if Howland is making a big recruiting weekend using the football game cupcake as a selling point. Bulldogs host Louisiana Tech Saturday.

As a juco, you want playing time right away.  He can get that if Henry leaves, if not, he is a back-up at MU.  It would almost be easier for Wojo to sign somebody in the
spring when he knows what Henry is thinking.  That is why many of the top players wait till spring.  But if Willis wants to come home, then he will understand competition
and sign early.  I think Wojo has showed him the love, been there 3 times this year.  Nice air bill for MU.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #83 on: October 14, 2015, 11:10:43 AM »
I think, if Henry stays he moves to the three if Willis can play power forward. We have a lot of depth at the three, but I think that spot is weaker than point guard.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #84 on: October 14, 2015, 12:11:16 PM »
Darrlyn Willis is a "type" of player that Marquette doesn't have on its roster for next year.  An athletic, rebounding forward who can defend multiple positions.  Maybe the closest is Wally, but Wally isn't 6'8".  It doesn't matter if he is the "3" or "4" or some such, if he is what I think he is, he would get plenty of time because he would fill a void.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #85 on: October 14, 2015, 01:02:20 PM »

I agree. Howland is known for his guard play, but has a really nice history of recruiting big men to sell Willis on:

Aaron Gray
Chris Taft
Kevin Love
Luc Ricard Mbah Mute
Ryan Hollins
The Wear twins
Drew Gordon

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #86 on: October 14, 2015, 01:06:38 PM »
What interest do you think Willis has going to a football game that he knows nobody on both teams??

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #87 on: October 14, 2015, 01:12:14 PM »
What interest do you think Willis has going to a football game that he knows nobody on both teams??

Recruiting tool that MU simply can not offer.

I wish he could have made it to Marquette Madness

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #88 on: October 14, 2015, 01:48:01 PM »
Recruiting tool that MU simply can not offer.

I wish he could have made it to Marquette Madness

I understand that, but take him to a big SEC game, Ole Miss, LSU, Alabama,  L-Tech now that is exciting?

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #89 on: October 14, 2015, 03:54:14 PM »

No idea, all I know is he postponed his Marquette visit to go to MSU. So whatever interest, it appears it's greater than his interest in coming to Milwaukee this weekend.

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #90 on: October 14, 2015, 04:27:29 PM »
So whatever interest, it appears it's greater than his interest in coming to Milwaukee this weekend.

I think you might be reading a tad much into this schedule decision.  He has an offer from Miss St.  We probably was going to go there sooner or later given he is so close.  Maybe he was hoping to go to a "big game" but Miss St said "Sorry the games later in the year we can't accommodate you" (as in you're not our #1 priority).  He's already missed midnight madness so what difference is it if he comes this weekend or next.  If I was a recruit I'd tend to put my first choice last so that I could see everyone else and if my first choice stayed my first choice I'd commit when I was there being that they are my last visit.  If he had been waiting for a long time for an offer from Miss St and finally got it and then abruptly canceled his MU visit with a date "not yet scheduled" to go to Miss St then that starts to signal his intentions.  This is not that, sit tight.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #91 on: October 14, 2015, 04:40:55 PM »
I understand that, but take him to a big SEC game, Ole Miss, LSU, Alabama,  L-Tech now that is exciting?

After my Aggies put the whooping on em, their too afraid. Need to make sure it's a game they can win.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #92 on: October 14, 2015, 05:09:40 PM »
No idea, all I know is he postponed his Marquette visit to go to MSU. So whatever interest, it appears it's greater than his interest in coming to Milwaukee this weekend.

In the words of the iconic Aaron Rodgers, R-E-L-A-X.

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #93 on: October 14, 2015, 06:35:01 PM »
In the words of the iconic Aaron Rodgers, R-E-L-A-X.

This has been written about most every prospect MU has wanted over the last four months. crap, Cal Poly and Montana are rolling in commitments whilst MU sees top targets go elsewhere.

(And though I appreciate the typical regulars who will list various prep prospects and give explained away reasoning why the kids went elsewhere let's save ourselves 10-12 posts and just both accept MU has missed out on three they desperately wanted)

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #94 on: October 14, 2015, 06:46:16 PM »
This has been written about most every prospect MU has wanted over the last four months. crap, Cal Poly and Montana are rolling in commitments whilst MU sees top targets go elsewhere.

(And though I appreciate the typical regulars who will list various prep prospects and give explained away reasoning why the kids went elsewhere let's save ourselves 10-12 posts and just both accept MU has missed out on three they desperately wanted)

I think I'm pretty relaxed. But it's clear that our recruiting under Wojo has come back down to reality. After seemingly landing every top target he had, we have missed out on all the grad transfers and guys like Amir Coffey and Lamar Stevens, I think it's safe to say that the luster isn't what it was a year ago.

There's nothing wrong with losing recruiting battles. Any coach will lose more than they win. But right now, this team has a desperate need for a rebounder and has for quite awhile, and every candidate out there seems to be taking other offers. It's been a decent stretch since we had a recruiting win, 5 months since Hauser and Rowsey committed within a day of each other.

I'd like to see this staff get back on the winning side of the recruiting battles. Especially at a position of need.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #95 on: October 14, 2015, 08:09:19 PM »
It is much harder to recruit to a team where everyone is returning versus a team that hd very little returning.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #96 on: October 14, 2015, 08:29:04 PM »
Assuming Henry returns for a second season, with the two guys already in the fold for '16, where are the available minutes?    I am not surprised at all that Wojo hasn't landed that last guy yet.    Do the math.   Connect the dots.   For a legitimate 4 who is good enough to play immediately to come, he would have to be pretty sure HEllenson was one-and-done.      IMO, this last schollie isn't filled until spring, and by then it may not be the last schollie. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #97 on: October 14, 2015, 08:50:10 PM »
Wojo had playin' time to sell recruits on last year, not so much any more. Not so hard to figure, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

MU82

• All American
« Reply #98 on: October 14, 2015, 09:27:17 PM »
Assuming Henry returns for a second season,

I guess you didn't get the memo that a dozen or so of our fellow Scoopers have: There is zero-point-zero-zero chance of Henry Ellenson returning for a second season.

They know with total certainty because, um, just because!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #99 on: October 14, 2015, 09:28:38 PM »
I agree to wait till spring even if Henry leaves, so many transfers it is sick, besides Henry, not sold that anybody else is leaving, I could be wrong but it would have to b
be a freshman, so it could only be Hanif or Sacre, Heldt needs sometime to get better,  Carter and Ellenson are for sure getting minutes.  Cheatham is getting his
minutes as well.  So that leaves only one possibility.  I like spring transfers, they are here for good and you know what you are getting.  You can see the confidence Rowsey has in that scrimmage.  If nobody leaves, the backcourt should have a lot of depth, and can shoot the ball. 

feedback