Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Darrlyn Willis - Juco PF 2016  (Read 48237 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Darrlyn Willis - Juco PF 2016
« Reply #50 on: September 24, 2015, 08:17:25 PM »
His stats from last season if anyone is interested:

http://stats.njcaa.org/sports/mbkb/2014-15/div1/players/darralynwillis38av

14 ppg and 7 rpg isn't super impressive at the juco level. But that was as a freshman. I could see 20 and 10 for him this season. Cautiously optimistic
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #51 on: September 24, 2015, 08:32:51 PM »

14 ppg and 7 rpg isn't super impressive at the juco level. But that was as a freshman. I could see 20 and 10 for him this season. Cautiously optimistic

He played 24 minutes a game, shot 62% from the field and 75% from the free throw line. 
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 24, 2015, 09:28:59 PM »
I have heard him described as a  high energy Jameel McKay type. Obviously not as tall.

I have not seen him play personally.

Ellenson Guerrero

• All American
« Reply #53 on: September 24, 2015, 09:38:06 PM »
I have heard him described as a  high energy Jameel McKay type. Obviously not as tall.

I have not seen him play personally.

Where did this kid go to high school?
"What we take for-granted, others pray for..." - Brent Williams 3/30/14

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 24, 2015, 09:45:16 PM »
He played 24 minutes a game, shot 62% from the field and 75% from the free throw line.

I like good free throw shooters
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

MU82

• All American
« Reply #55 on: September 24, 2015, 09:45:55 PM »
Where did this kid go to high school?

Squirmy Prep
β€œIt’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2015, 09:48:36 PM »
Willis went to Madison Memorial

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #57 on: September 24, 2015, 09:49:12 PM »
Madison Memorial

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 24, 2015, 10:03:41 PM »

Jay Crowder was 18 and 9 and First Team JUCO All American his sophomore year.  Buycks was First Team JUCO All American after a 17 5 and 4 season his sophomore year.  Jimmy Butler was 18 and 7 the year we signed him.  14 and 7 is not bad at all for a JUCO player.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 10:06:54 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #59 on: September 24, 2015, 10:50:06 PM »
Jay Crowder was 18 and 9 and First Team JUCO All American his sophomore year.  Buycks was First Team JUCO All American after a 17 5 and 4 season his sophomore year.  Jimmy Butler was 18 and 7 the year we signed him.  14 and 7 is not bad at all for a JUCO player.

You gotta look at the team they played for. Pearl River is a good team but not as good the teams any of those players played for. Pearl River didn't make the NJCAA tournament last year.
TAMU

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 24, 2015, 11:03:47 PM »
You gotta look at the team they played for. Pearl River is a good team but not as good the teams any of those players played for. Pearl River didn't make the NJCAA tournament last year.

I'm not sure what the team's achievements have to do with an individual's stats. 14 and 7 from a freshman JUCO is very, very good. 20 and 10 is unreasonable, considering we brought in 2 First Team JUCO All Americans that didn't reach those numbers.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #61 on: September 25, 2015, 05:23:57 AM »

Pearl River lost to Holmes (MS) in overtime in the regional final, so they were one game away from Hutchinson.  Willis didn't play because he was ejected from the previous tournament game and couldn't play in the final.  He had 27 points and 6 rebounds in their last game against Holmes.  Pearl River had beaten Holmes in the two previous meetings.

In the national tournament in Hutchinson, Holmes went on to win their first two games, including a win over Indian Hills,  before losing to Hill (TX) by 1 point in the quarterfinals.  Hill went on to win the 3rd place game.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2015, 05:33:19 AM by TedBaxter »

Skatastrophy

• All American
  • βœ… Verified Member
« Reply #62 on: September 25, 2015, 06:18:08 AM »
Pearl River lost to Holmes (MS) in overtime in the regional final, so they were one game away from Hutchinson.  Willis didn't play because he was ejected from the previous tournament game and couldn't play in the final.  He had 27 points and 6 rebounds in their last game against Holmes.  Pearl River had beaten Holmes in the two previous meetings.

In the national tournament in Hutchinson, Holmes went on to win their first two games, including a win over Indian Hills,  before losing to Hill (TX) by 1 point in the quarterfinals.  Hill went on to win the 3rd place game.

But... this doesn't align with the Scoop narrative!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #63 on: September 25, 2015, 07:41:36 AM »
I'm not sure what the team's achievements have to do with an individual's stats. 14 and 7 from a freshman JUCO is very, very good. 20 and 10 is unreasonable, considering we brought in 2 First Team JUCO All Americans that didn't reach those numbers.

Not all jucos are created equal. Averaging 14 and 7 at Viccenes (number one team in njcaa) is not the same as 14 and 7 at  Seminole State (random juco off the top of my head). That be like saying a kid who plays for Grambling is as good as a kid who plays for Belmont with the same stat line.

Again, I'm optimistic about this kid. If he went 14 and 7 as a frosh, than I don't think 20 and 10 is an unrealistic jump at the juco level. Jumps like that are more common in jucos due to the high turnover. Even he didn't make that big of a jump, I'd still want him. Kid is good. I just wouldn't expect him to start right away
TAMU

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #64 on: September 25, 2015, 09:17:29 AM »
Good analogy TAMU.  My hope is that he backs up Henry in '16-'17.  In that role I'm convinced we'll be fine.

Funny how college hoops at the high D-1 level has changed in 30 years.  4-star kids now expect serious minutes right away and when they don't have a shot they look elsewhere (Coffey).  3-star kids will only ride the bench through Soph. year before they transfer out for playing time (Jamail Jones).  Heck, some kids ('Teve) even leave when they are close to their degree.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 25, 2015, 09:22:50 AM »
Good analogy TAMU.  My hope is that he backs up Henry in '16-'17.  In that role I'm convinced we'll be fine.

Funny how college hoops at the high D-1 level has changed in 30 years.  4-star kids now expect serious minutes right away and when they don't have a shot they look elsewhere (Coffey).  3-star kids will only ride the bench through Soph. year before they transfer out for playing time (Jamail Jones).  Heck, some kids ('Teve) even leave when they are close to their degree.

I am in agreement with both of you, if Henry stays which is possible, it really does not matter who Wojo recruits for the 13th spot.  I believe that 2017 is really important as you might lose Henry and for sure Fisher, so you will need some bigs.  Willis can come in, learn the system and be a nice back-up.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2015, 09:31:28 AM »
Willis is a different player than anyone on the current roster.  Might be a better natural rebounder and shotblocker than anyone at Marquette right now and keeps improving his offensive skills.  I could see Henry moving to the 3 on offense and to play with Willis and Fischer at times. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2015, 09:32:47 AM »
Willis is a different player than anyone on the current roster.  Might be a better natural rebounder and shotblocker than anyone at Marquette right now and keeps improving his offensive skills.  I could see Henry moving to the 3 on offense and to play with Willis and Fischer at times. 

Jameel McKay type then?

GOO

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2015, 09:35:27 AM »
My guess is that Henry is very likely a one and done.  Obviously whomever comes in may have a great shot at starting and/or a lot of playing time, if Henry leaves.  If not, he has to be comfortable with being a backup and not getting big minutes for one year.... but he will be on a potentially great team with Henry.

Like so much in life, it is finding the right guy who accepts either scenario and sees the benefits of either getting playing time right away, or, being on a potentially great team and getting experience as a back up for a year.  Hopefully this is the guy.  I like having a Juco coming in for next year, the right guy would be a perfect fit given the Henry possible scenarios.  If Henry leaves, having someone with experience who can play the 4 would be a nice luxury.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #69 on: September 25, 2015, 09:40:29 AM »

It sounds like you have seen him play?  It looks like he is playing center, is he a back to the basket type player or can he put the ball on the floor a little bit and face
up.  I like when my 4 can go out at shoot the 3,  Crowder and Lazar were really good getting a mismatch with a 4 that could not move to well?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #70 on: September 25, 2015, 11:48:19 AM »
My guess is that Henry is very likely a one and done.  Obviously whomever comes in may have a great shot at starting and/or a lot of playing time, if Henry leaves.  If not, he has to be comfortable with being a backup and not getting big minutes for one year.... but he will be on a potentially great team with Henry.

Like so much in life, it is finding the right guy who accepts either scenario and sees the benefits of either getting playing time right away, or, being on a potentially great team and getting experience as a back up for a year.  Hopefully this is the guy.  I like having a Juco coming in for next year, the right guy would be a perfect fit given the Henry possible scenarios.  If Henry leaves, having someone with experience who can play the 4 would be a nice luxury.

All true.  And I'll bet there's no promise that Willis won't be 'recruited over'.  It's just like J. Elliott on the Packers.  Dude is bad@ss but earns nothing but an opportunity because he was an undrafted FA.  I like and respect guys like that.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #71 on: September 25, 2015, 11:56:44 AM »
It sounds like you have seen him play?  It looks like he is playing center, is he a back to the basket type player or can he put the ball on the floor a little bit and face
up.  I like when my 4 can go out at shoot the 3,  Crowder and Lazar were really good getting a mismatch with a 4 that could not move to well?

Willis isn't a 3 point shooter....at all.....but can shoot the mid range from what I have read.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #72 on: September 25, 2015, 12:04:18 PM »

Willis isn't a 3 point shooter....at all.....but can shoot the mid range from what I have read.

Definitely no three pointer.
TAMU

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #73 on: September 25, 2015, 01:01:27 PM »
It's a big IF but if Hank is here then this guy is a perfect fit
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #74 on: September 25, 2015, 03:42:46 PM »
My guess is that Henry is very likely a one and done. 
I've said it before I think there are a bunch of reasons why Henry is likely to stay 2 years at least.  Brother here, no desperate need for money in the family, doesn't mind college, loyal to his coach and teammates, etc.  Darrlyn is probably the best you're going to get at the 4 as long as Henry is likely on the roster.
So lets hope for the best.