[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:09:03 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Darrlyn Willis - Juco PF 2016  (Read 48225 times)

moomoo

• Team Captain
Darrlyn Willis - Juco PF 2016
« on: September 20, 2015, 06:30:49 PM »
Deserves its own thread, no?

I like what I read in this recent article. I also like where he's from.

http://www.kansas.com/sports/college/wichita-state/shockwaves/article35703192.html

Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

tower912

• All American
Re: Darrlyn Willis - Juco PF 2016
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2015, 06:42:28 PM »
He would do.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2015, 06:48:49 PM »
Squirmy.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2015, 07:02:10 PM »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2015, 07:10:12 PM »
??????

He lacks originality and likes to make up things that other people didn't say.  Just let him run with it.

I'm good with this guy.  A JUCO now and again is great.  38% of the roster, some from diploma mills....no thanks.  But those regimes are no longer here.

<a href="https://www.youtube.com/v/N0-aQPbzCZE" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">https://www.youtube.com/v/N0-aQPbzCZE</a>

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2015, 07:22:57 PM »
??????

You didn't get the memo?  We aren't allowed to recruit JUCOs.  It's squirmy.  As are non-traditionals.  This guy is both.  Double the squirmy.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2015, 08:44:28 AM »
He lacks originality and likes to make up things that other people didn't say.  Just let him run with it.

I'm good with this guy.  A JUCO now and again is great.  38% of the roster, some from diploma mills....no thanks.  But those regimes are no longer here.

Of the five Jucos that finished their basketball eligibility at MU under Buzz, I can't think of anyone that came to MU from a "diploma mill." 

And of course, Chicos doesn't distinguish the Jucos that came here fully qualified out of high school but went to a Juco for one year to improve their basketball creds.  We had three of those (Fulce, DJO and JFB).  Two of them graduated on time.  The other one was delayed a year or more because he was drafted in the NBA and making millions.  Really there is no difference between these Jucos and a player who transfers here from another program.

The other two (Buycks and Jae), one may have graduated (I can't remember if Dwight has, but if not he is close).  One should probably have not been admitted, but he was the BE POY, drafted into the NBA, and continues to represent Marquette just fine.

Not all "Jucos" are alike.  But Chicos will throw them all under the bus using his "38%" statistic without context because...well...he is intellectually dishonest in that manner.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2015, 09:11:59 AM »

Of the five Jucos that finished their basketball eligibility at MU under Buzz, I can't think of anyone that came to MU from a "diploma mill." 

And of course, Chicos doesn't distinguish the Jucos that came here fully qualified out of high school but went to a Juco for one year to improve their basketball creds.  We had three of those (Fulce, DJO and JFB).  Two of them graduated on time.  The other one was delayed a year or more because he was drafted in the NBA and making millions.  Really there is no difference between these Jucos and a player who transfers here from another program.

The other two (Buycks and Jae), one may have graduated (I can't remember if Dwight has, but if not he is close).  One should probably have not been admitted, but he was the BE POY, drafted into the NBA, and continues to represent Marquette just fine.

Not all "Jucos" are alike.  But Chicos will throw them all under the bus using his "38%" statistic without context because...well...he is intellectually dishonest in that manner.

+1000. Chico had an anti Buzz bias/agenda from the get go - thought MU could have done better. Buzz proved Chico to be wrong. Chico hates when that happens. Buzz also was more successful than Chico's idol, TC. Chico hated that, too. Rather than admit the obvious, Chico went with a smear campaign against Buzz and his players. Exaggerations, phony "insider" info and lots of outright lies ensued. Chico being Chico.

MarkMiller

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2015, 11:27:01 AM »
Willis plans to take an official visit to Marquette Oct. 16-18, 2015.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2015, 07:23:18 PM »

Very well said.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2015, 07:36:45 PM »
Willis plans to take an official visit to Marquette Oct. 16-18, 2015.

Good deal.  Let's hope both sides think it is a fit.  I'll never complain about an occasional Juco who takes his opportunity both on and off the court seriously.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2015, 09:48:00 PM »
Sultan, you are correct that not all Jucos are a like.  My number one argument against JUCOs remains, it screws up the classes.  You have people here for 2 or 3 years, not 4 or 5 years.  Want to do that from time to time, that's fine.  38% of your roster, no thanks.  Too much turnover.

But yes, not all Jucos are the same nor did I ever claim that was the case.

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2015, 10:11:49 PM »
To me the real question here is why did the kid go JUCO?
Did he have academic problems?
Was he immature and needed development?
I can't imagine a 6-8 guy with skills getting bypassed by every single D1 school, so there must have been something.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2015, 10:14:18 PM »
Sultan, you are correct that not all Jucos are a like.  My number one argument against JUCOs remains, it screws up the classes.  You have people here for 2 or 3 years, not 4 or 5 years.  Want to do that from time to time, that's fine.  38% of your roster, no thanks.  Too much turnover.

Except in the Modern Age it is the freshmen and sophomores transferring (or drinking) themselves out.  Hell, Teve even transferred as the lone senior.  Programs are no longer traditional, non è?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2015, 10:15:51 PM »

What screws up classes is players transferring out after, during or before their freshmen years, which repeatedly happen under Buzz,

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2015, 10:23:57 PM »
I can't imagine a 6-8 guy with skills getting bypassed by every single D1 school, so there must have been something.

He had two offers Jackson and Kent state
Maigh Eo for Sam

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2015, 05:39:28 AM »

http://host.madison.com/sports/high-school/basketball/boys/prep-boys-basketball-troubled-past-behind-him-ex-memorial-player/article_2bbc2a08-51f2-5e37-8398-8b8c825623f9.html
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2015, 06:19:01 AM »
If he stays on the path, I'd take him. 

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2015, 07:41:52 AM »

Chicos prefers only allowing JUCOs who can accurately calculate the percentage of JUCOs on the roster.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2015, 07:49:03 AM »
Steve Collins trolling Marquette

"After two years of playing at Pearl River Community College in Hattiesburg, Mississippi, Collins said he believes Willis will have the opportunity to play “high mid-major” basketball."

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2015, 08:36:28 AM »
We need to add a PF and do not have many options left for 2016.  Assuming Henry goes pro.  that leaves us 2 center's.  I think Luke can play PF.  and 6-5-6-6 wings. Cheatum. Cohen,  Wally (if he stays) and hauser.   We are still going to be good if Wally and henry leave so we cannot leave a gaping hole on the Roster at the 4 spot.  All we need is  guy that can give you 5 reb and 5 fouls.   He looks like he could do that.  I'm fine with it.  Plus I like lefties. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2015, 08:55:43 AM »

I have a hard time justifying a position that Buzz shouldn't have had a team made up of JFB, DJO and Jae because it "screwed up the classes."  That was the core group of back to back S16 teams. 

Buzz's problems after that weren't due to Jucos screwing up the classes, but taking flyers on too many kids that didn't pan out, (TJT, Ferguson, EWill), or were complete knuckleheads (Mayo.)  In fact, he actually may have done better had he been allowed to bring in more Juco-types to fill in holes in the roster.

Let's be honest though.  The reason Buzz didn't bring in more Jucos had nothing to do with SP and LW's concern over screwing up the classes.  It had everything to do with concerns over the academic preparation of two year Jucos and the image that gave to the program.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2015, 08:58:22 AM »
We need to add a PF and do not have many options left for 2016.  Assuming Henry goes pro.  that leaves us 2 center's.  I think Luke can play PF.  and 6-5-6-6 wings. Cheatum. Cohen,  Wally (if he stays) and hauser.   We are still going to be good if Wally and henry leave so we cannot leave a gaping hole on the Roster at the 4 spot.  All we need is  guy that can give you 5 reb and 5 fouls.   He looks like he could do that.  I'm fine with it.  Plus I like lefties.

Why would Wally leave?
Maigh Eo for Sam

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2015, 09:00:06 AM »

Usually a two year Juco hasn't qualified academically.  Which means he would need to get his associate degree to qualify to play D1 ball next year.  And then the question is what does his transcript look like and how will Marquette transfer the credits. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2015, 09:04:45 AM »
I think it's a fine solution.  The pitch to a Juco candidate is 'You might get 10 minutes as a Junior or you might get 25 but you're likely to be playing on a really good team in the BEast, either way. In return, I expect 110% in the classroom and on the court and for you to carry yourself every day in a way that makes all of us proud.'

I really can't see that selling a 4-star HS prospect right now but I can see it selling a kid living the life of Arthur Agee, 1000 miles from home.

My hope is that he's progressed beyond some of the youthful immaturity cited in the article that seemingly hurt him as a HS kid in Madison.  I'm sure his family would absolute love it having him close to home.  And if Wojo is convinced he's the right man at the right time for the right role.....