[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tough week for recruiting  (Read 32455 times)

mug644

• All American
Re: Tough week for recruiting
« Reply #50 on: September 18, 2015, 03:52:38 PM »
No, you can't completely ignore the sibling connection but at the same time be careful not to overvalue it.  I think the rankings are largely inflated due to who Kostas' older brother is.  His EYBL stats were quite poor on a 1-13 team and he was the 6th man for Dominican last year.  Skill wise I don't think Kostas is anywhere close to being a borderline top 100 player based on the few times I've seen him.

I do see the potential if Kostas grows into his body, gains coordination, and develops his skills but that is a long way off.  I had to shake my head at the comment someone made about Kostas not being a 4 year player.  I think it will take at least 2-3 years for him to develop into a serviceable player.  Kostas may or may not ever be a star; he might not even develop and ends up having a career impact of Yous Mbao.  We shall see.

The name Mayo comes to mind.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #51 on: September 18, 2015, 05:05:10 PM »
Disappointing but really turned up for the last few games. If he had continued that he would've been a darn good backup to Henry

What senior wants to backup a freshman?  Particularly, if you started your college career with some hope of being dominant.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #52 on: September 18, 2015, 05:37:19 PM »
What senior wants to backup a freshman?  Particularly, if you started your college career with some hope of being dominant.

I'm not saying that I don't understand why he left I'm just saying its a bummer because he seemed to finally be in a rythm he hadn't been since his freshman year.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #53 on: September 18, 2015, 07:31:59 PM »
Haven't talk to Wojo, but I doubt he is completely bummed, he is super psyched about this season and the team he has.  How the team performs this year is far more important than this.  But recruiting still is going on.
I agree that the season is more important right now. Wojo is a good recruiter, he needs to show some winning and we will get plenty of talent.
The only mystery in life is why the Kamikaze Pilots wore helmets...
            ---Al McGuire

tower912

• All American
« Reply #54 on: September 18, 2015, 07:36:10 PM »
Looking at the 16-17 roster, if Henry stays, the team is 12 deep and the only question is who backs up Henry.     If a recruit really wants instant PT, he is going elsewhere.   If Henry goes, then a pair of stretch 4's would be great.    However, if we fail to land one, there will still be Sandy, Wally, Hauser, Haanif, Sacar, JJJ, all in the mix to play the 3-4.    I would be absolutely, positively stunned if Wojo lands an impact recruit this fall.    And whether he lands one in the spring depends on what Henry does. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #55 on: September 18, 2015, 08:40:35 PM »

How 'bout that broad who usedta coach Fresno St. BeeJay thought she was hot and F*ckin' said he'd do her, ai na?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #56 on: September 18, 2015, 08:43:00 PM »
What if his name was Kostas Mbao?  Then what would people think?

Maybe Wojo could adopt him, a'ina?

ZiggysFryBoy

• All American
  • MEDITERRANEAN TACOS!
« Reply #57 on: September 18, 2015, 08:43:46 PM »
Guessing he is referring to the pig and chicken comment, which I second as awesome as well as WTF simultaneously

Chickens, the long lost 6th track from the album Animals.

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #58 on: September 18, 2015, 09:01:02 PM »
Looking at the 16-17 roster, if Henry stays, the team is 12 deep and the only question is who backs up Henry.     If a recruit really wants instant PT, he is going elsewhere.   If Henry goes, then a pair of stretch 4's would be great.    However, if we fail to land one, there will still be Sandy, Wally, Hauser, Haanif, Sacar, JJJ, all in the mix to play the 3-4.    I would be absolutely, positively stunned if Wojo lands an impact recruit this fall.    And whether he lands one in the spring depends on what Henry does.

I agree completely (with the possible exception of JJJ in the convo as a 4).  I am also excited to see if Sandy can take another step. We already know he's bigger and stronger. If he can also be more confident with his outside shot and help defense, he can be a vital member of the rotation.
Relationes Incrementum Victoria

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #59 on: September 18, 2015, 10:37:51 PM »

I am outraged anyone could construe anything sexually alluring about Stacy Johnson-Klein. I see her photo and think, "Basketball coach."

Death on call

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #60 on: September 18, 2015, 10:58:33 PM »
"Take it to the hole!!!"
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

brandx

« Reply #61 on: September 19, 2015, 12:48:31 AM »
Chickens, the long lost 6th track from the album Animals.

Big man, Chicken man
Ha, Ha charade you are

ah.... so-so

but

Chicken stain on your fat chin
What do you hope to find?

That's some sweet poetry there.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 01:00:39 AM by brandx »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #62 on: September 19, 2015, 12:57:34 AM »
Maybe Wojo could adopt him, a'ina?

But then Big Bro can't pay for his education like Juice did for Toddler, I'm really a badger fan?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #63 on: September 19, 2015, 01:08:13 AM »
To summarize the no good very bad recruiting week in ascending order of suckiness:

1. Javin Montgomery-DeLaurier trims his list to six, no Marquette
2. Cassius Winston commits to the Izzone
3. JUCO Emmanuel Malou commits to Iowa State
4. Amir Coffey is seemingly cooling on Marquette
5. Lamar Stevens commits to Penn State
6. 2017 Kobe King commits to the Vadgers

That is a rough recruiting week. We are down to... well... nobody in the 2016 class. All known targets are now committed elsewhere.... besides Brendan Bailey. I really hope we get Bailey but he's basically a 2018 recruit. It's back to the drawing board for Wojo. I really think that last scholarship goes to a transfer.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #64 on: September 19, 2015, 04:50:00 AM »
I agree that the season is more important right now. Wojo is a good recruiter, he needs to show some winning and we will get plenty of talent.

Plus Tax

"Build it and they will come"
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #65 on: September 19, 2015, 07:32:48 AM »
To summarize the no good very bad recruiting week in ascending order of suckiness:

That is a rough recruiting week. We are down to... well... nobody in the 2016 class. All known targets are now committed elsewhere.... besides Brendan Bailey. I really hope we get Bailey but he's basically a 2018 recruit. It's back to the drawing board for Wojo. I really think that last scholarship goes to a transfer.

Relax.  There was a Tweet a week or so ago that had Wojo visiting a player who may have never been mentioned on this board.  The kid has local ties and is playing at a JUCO.  Did he get an offer?  Can MU match his JUCO credits? 

This particular player is talented enough to come in and help right away, but the point is that Wojo is probably looking at a few players that none of us know he and the staff have inquired about.  No use in rushing to fill one spot.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #66 on: September 19, 2015, 07:43:30 AM »

Let's not discount or forget about Sam please.  I'm in agreement that Wojo will almost certainly wait until Spring now for #13.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #67 on: September 19, 2015, 08:34:57 AM »
Let's not discount or forget about Sam please.  I'm in agreement that Wojo will almost certainly wait until Spring now for #13.

Sam was the top target and he's still committed, which is not only good for 2016 but also a potential positive for 2018.

The reality is unless you're Duke or Kentucky, very few schools will match a class like Wojo reeled in last year. While Stevens may play the 4 in college, both him and Coffey at a glance are 2/3 types, and we currently have 7 players at those positions that project to still be here when those guys would arrive on campus (Jajuan, Wally, Duane, Sandy, Cheatham, Anim, Hauser).

At the 4, we could have time, but if Henry would stay, that's a big roadblock to playing time. Wojo hunted some more big game and lost. That was always likely to happen sooner rather than later. Last year he found two solid looking players late in Carter and Anim. Hopefully he can work some of that magic again. With our entire scholarship roster eligible to be together the next two years, it's hardly time to be worried about recruiting.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #68 on: September 19, 2015, 08:46:26 AM »
Who is MU's all time leader in assists and steals? Think Traci can reach either of those two milestones?

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #69 on: September 19, 2015, 09:01:45 AM »
Who is MU's all time leader in assists and steals? Think Traci can reach either of those two milestones?
It will be very hard to beat Tony Miller's assist record.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #70 on: September 19, 2015, 09:08:59 AM »
It will be very hard to beat Tony Miller's assist record.

Never even heard of him. Thought it would have been Deiner.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #71 on: September 19, 2015, 09:21:54 AM »
Never even heard of him.

Thanks for making me feel old. lol.

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
« Reply #72 on: September 19, 2015, 09:53:04 AM »

956 is the Tony Miller assist record, an incredible 324 above DJ, who is in second place.  Steal leader is Jerel at 287.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/marq/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2014-15/misc_non_event/recordbook_2015v2.pdf

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #73 on: September 19, 2015, 10:05:10 AM »
956 is the Tony Miller assist record, an incredible 324 above DJ, who is in second place.  Steal leader is Jerel at 287.

http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/marq/sports/m-baskbl/auto_pdf/2014-15/misc_non_event/recordbook_2015v2.pdf

Nevermind then. That record looks like an unbreakable one.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #74 on: September 19, 2015, 10:49:46 AM »