[Today at 09:40:38 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU82
[Today at 08:02:41 AM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[April 19, 2024, 05:04:53 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Tough week for recruiting  (Read 32453 times)

Big Daddy 84

• Team Captain
Tough week for recruiting
« on: September 17, 2015, 11:33:52 AM »
LS to PSU  will announce tomorrow
AC to Minn

LS really wants to play with Carr

AC wants to be legacy

#2 for each, but means little.  Wojo still working on others.  I still believe Bailey comes here.. My opinion.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: Tough week for recruiting
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 11:41:44 AM »
AC to Minn

AC wants to be legacy

#2 for each, but means little.  Wojo still working on others.  I still believe Bailey comes here.. My opinion.

Coffey is the one that hurts the most IMO.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2015, 12:01:48 PM »
AC to Minn

AC wants to be legacy

Bailey as a 2016 or post-mission? Not trying to speculate he's even considering it...but figured that's what the board is for.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 12:07:53 PM »
Thanks for the info BD.  Always appreciate it, even when there's bad news.  Now, who is Wojo after?  Rivers apparently but that's the only name I know.

I assume Bailey is still mission bound but it's always possible he changes his mind.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 12:12:24 PM »
My gut feel is that Wojo now waits til this spring and pulls in a high quality grad transfer PF to replace the NBA-bound Henry.

Smokin' Jae

• Team Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 12:18:41 PM »
My gut feel is that Wojo now waits til this spring and pulls in a high quality grad transfer PF to replace the NBA-bound Henry.
I would be ok with wojo taking a flier on Antetokounmpo as well but I hope that he chooses to prep for a year and then come to MU

Big Daddy 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 12:38:51 PM »
Thanks for the info BD.  Always appreciate it, even when there's bad news.  Now, who is Wojo after?  Rivers apparently but that's the only name I know.

I assume Bailey is still mission bound but it's always possible he changes his mind.

Haven't talk to Wojo, but I doubt he is completely bummed, he is super psyched about this season and the team he has.  How the team performs this year is far more important than this.  But recruiting still is going on.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2015, 01:01:04 PM »
I would be ok with wojo taking a flier on Antetokounmpo as well but I hope that he chooses to prep for a year and then come to MU

I just don't see why Kostas would go to prep school.  He already has offers from Memphis and Iowa State, and if he develops like some people think he might, he might not even be a 4 year player anyway.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2015, 01:09:52 PM »
I just don't see why Kostas would go to prep school.  He already has offers from Memphis and Iowa State, and if he develops like some people think he might, he might not even be a 4 year player anyway.

?????????????????????????????????????

Kostas has a lot of developing to do.  Let's see if he can finally start for his high school team this year.  (Even Ners did that).
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2015, 01:57:45 PM »
Haven't talk to Wojo, but I doubt he is completely bummed, he is super psyched about this season and the team he has.  How the team performs this year is far more important than this.  But recruiting still is going on.

Big Daddy, I think you may have touched on this maybe shortly after Wojo was hired, but I cannot remember.  Early in Buzz's tenure I think many (including myself) felt like Buzz was a lifer.  Up until the last 2 years of his tenure it seemed like he was a good fit.  Then we know what happened.

I think people here assume that Wojo will not be a lifer at Marquette.  Now, if Duke comes calling because Wojo has great success at MU, I understand that it'll be pretty much impossible for Wojo not to return back to Duke.  But from everything I have heard, Wojo feels like he has everything he needs to turn Marquette into the type of program that Duke is, and that it is going to take a lot for Wojo to be taken away from Marquette.  From day one I have heard about Wojo's "vision" for the program, and nothing I have heard suggests this has faltered in any way.  It sounds like his enthusiasm for the program and where he can take the program has no limits.  Do you get the same feeling?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Sir Lawrence

• All American
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2015, 02:36:28 PM »
Big Daddy, I think you may have touched on this maybe shortly after Wojo was hired, but I cannot remember.  Early in Buzz's tenure I think many (including myself) felt like Buzz was a lifer.  Up until the last 2 years of his tenure it seemed like he was a good fit.  Then we know what happened.

I think people here assume that Wojo will not be a lifer at Marquette.  Now, if Duke comes calling because Wojo has great success at MU, I understand that it'll be pretty much impossible for Wojo not to return back to Duke.  But from everything I have heard, Wojo feels like he has everything he needs to turn Marquette into the type of program that Duke is, and that it is going to take a lot for Wojo to be taken away from Marquette.  From day one I have heard about Wojo's "vision" for the program, and nothing I have heard suggests this has faltered in any way.  It sounds like his enthusiasm for the program and where he can take the program has no limits.  Do you get the same feeling?

Wades, never fall in love with a coach. 
Ludum habemus.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2015, 02:37:44 PM »

Agreed, you'll just convince yourself he'll never leave only for him to break your heart.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2015, 02:46:55 PM »
AC to Minn

AC wants to be legacy

The real issue is that you have 12 good players potentially  coming back, so if there is somebody else out there, that kid would really have to be good to get playing time, it is more important to be looking at replacing Fisher in two years and Henry as well.  2017 will be an important recruiting year for WOJO, particularly for bigs.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2015, 02:47:14 PM »

How 'bout that broad who usedta coach Fresno St. BeeJay thought she was hot and F*ckin' said he'd do her, ai na?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2015, 02:48:47 PM »

Better to have Loved and Lost rather than have Lived with Indifference.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2015, 03:46:47 PM »
No rational person could look at Buzz Williams' job history and consider him a "lifer" in anything but chasing the next dollar from a different sugar daddy.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #16 on: September 17, 2015, 04:14:39 PM »
2017 will be an important recruiting year for WOJO, particularly for bigs.

Agreed. I wouldn't be surprised to see us fill the last 2016 spot with a transfer. I don't believe Wojo signs guys who aren't quality ball players, and quality freshmen ball players will be intimidated by the roster we have. Unless you are legit 5 star prospect, you aren't getting playing time next season (unless Henry and others leave). Hell, you must likely won't get playing time for the next two seasons because of how young the roster is.

I think 2016 will be a "down" recruiting year by our standards. I think we get Hauser and a transfer (I also feel good about Bailey but he's basically a 2018 recruit). Maybe more if Henry goes pro. Wojo will need to "make up" for 2016 with a great 2017 class. I think he will do that and more. I think we could see a monster 2017 class. I feel good about the Markus Howard kid and the Jordan Poole kid. Throw in a couple of bigs (Theo John and ???) and lock up Joey Hauser for 2018 and I think you can call it a day.

Kostas could be an option for 2016. He seems more like an athlete than a basketball player at this point and I know Wojo wants basketball players. But taking an athlete with great size and an impressive pedigree from your own backyard doesn't seem like that bad of an option.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

AZWarrior

• All American
« Reply #17 on: September 17, 2015, 04:15:11 PM »
No rational person could look at Buzz Williams' job history and consider him a "lifer" in anything but chasing the next dollar from a different sugar daddy.

I will not argue against you.  Though remember that "fan" is short for "fanatic".  So I doubt we are as rational as we should be with regard to our teams.

And as an aside, probably a real good reason to never bet on a team which one is a "fan" of.   ;)
All this talk of rights.  So little talk of responsibilities.

Big Daddy 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #18 on: September 17, 2015, 05:22:30 PM »

Never asked the question and hard to deal with hypothetical's.  What a I can say is Wojo is genuinely excited to be at MU and is a pig and not a chicken towards his team. He is devoted to make this program tops in the Big East.

FYI  difference between a chicken and a Pig?  If you have ham and eggs for breakfast the chicken contributed to the meal. However the pig is fully committed to the meal. 

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2015, 05:45:48 PM »

Based on what sample size?  Assistant coaches leave for new, higher paying assistant jobs all the time.  Then he had 1 year at UNO while they were recovering from a hurricane, and was offered what was probably a higher paying position as an assistant at a high major.  I don't think you could look at what Buzz had done prior to being at Marquette and conclude, "This guy's never going to stop jumping from job to job."
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

nathanziarek

• All American
    • Late to the Party
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2015, 05:47:48 PM »
If you have ham and eggs for breakfast the chicken contributed to the meal. However the pig is fully committed to the meal.
Awesome.
Marquette Basketball on Reddit: http://reddit.com/r/mubb

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2015, 06:23:03 PM »
AC to Minn

AC wants to be legacy

Man you know it's a tough week when losing the top in-state player (Kobe King) to Becky in 2017 isn't even on the list of why this week sucked!

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2015, 06:27:56 PM »
Never asked the question and hard to deal with hypothetical's.  What a I can say is Wojo is genuinely excited to be at MU and is a pig and not a chicken towards his team. He is devoted to make this program tops in the Big East.

FYI  difference between a chicken and a Pig?  If you have ham and eggs for breakfast the chicken contributed to the meal. However the pig is fully committed to the meal.

What about a protein smoothie, yogurt, and fruit for breakfast, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2015, 08:25:51 PM »
I just don't see why Kostas would go to prep school.  He already has offers from Memphis and Iowa State, and if he develops like some people think he might, he might not even be a 4 year player anyway.https://twitter.com/mcmurphyespn/status/642835731753381888

Not sure he has qualified academically.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2015, 10:28:20 PM »
Couple of odd comments in this thread......
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

feedback