[Today at 09:34:43 PM]

Maximilian Langenfeld by TSmith34, Inc.
[Today at 09:22:20 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: Football Free Agent Connundrum  (Read 2623 times)

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
Football Free Agent Connundrum
« on: August 31, 2015, 03:23:49 AM »
As an alumnus of Marquette University, I (like just about all of you here) find myself in a complicated situation. With no college football team, I am left a "free agent" of sorts in terms of throwing my support behind a team.

Having grown up in Michigan, I tend to follow and cheer for the Wolverines. I never had a desire to attend UofM, as leaving my home state for college was priority number 1, 2 & 3.

My question: is it still douchey to don a hat/shirt with a block "M"?

I feel like college team support insinuates your attendance at that school... Thoughts? I've never worn a non-attended school's garb since being college age.... With the exception of a borrowed sweater at a lake house, etc.

Appreciate the input from scoop nation
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Re: Football Free Agent Connundrum
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2015, 03:57:03 AM »
As an alumnus of Marquette University, I (like just about all of you here) find myself in a complicated situation. With no college football team, I am left a "free agent" of sorts in terms of throwing my support behind a team.

Having grown up in Michigan, I tend to follow and cheer for the Wolverines. I never had a desire to attend UofM, as leaving my home state for college was priority number 1, 2 & 3.

My question: is it still douchey to don a hat/shirt with a block "M"?

I feel like college team support insinuates your attendance at that school... Thoughts? I've never worn a non-attended school's garb since being college age.... With the exception of a borrowed sweater at a lake house, etc.

Appreciate the input from scoop nation

I think that, typically, if a non-alum wears a school's colors it is indeed a social faux pas. (In the case of Notre Dame even an alum wearing the colors is a social blunder.)

The lone exception to this rule is Michigan. The University of Michigan has a long, proud, and storied tradition of excellence on the gridiron and in the classroom so it is only natural to want to pay tribute to such nobility of accomplishment.

The desire to bask in reflected glory runs deep in the collective human spirit so there is no shame whatsoever in donning the Maize and Blue each fall.

Hail!

Death on call

CTWarrior

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 07:29:40 AM »
Do whatever the heck you want.  This is America.  Especially since your alma mater did not have a D1 football team.  You have to be able to root for someone, and your home state university is as good a team as any.
Calvin:  I'm a genius.  But I'm a misunderstood genius. 
Hobbes:  What's misunderstood about you?
Calvin:  Nobody thinks I'm a genius.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 08:05:54 AM »
I feel like college team support insinuates your attendance at that school... Thoughts?

The Walmart Badgers will take this as flattery.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 08:13:57 AM »
It all depends on your history with that team.  I'm biased but, my dad raised me as a Penn State football fan(he grew up near Philly and is an alumni), first football game I ever attended was a Penn State game.  I've been a fan since I can remember, and since I don't have a degree from anywhere that has a football team, my allegiance stays with my childhood team.

If you have a historic connection with a team, that's fine.  If you are picking up a team later in life, I think that's generally frowned upon.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2015, 08:18:42 AM »
Here is my hard and fast rule:

If your college or university did not have a football team, you may root for any team you wish.

However, you may not refer to them as "we", or trash talk a fan of another team who is an actual alum of that school.

Have some patience, FFS.

reinko

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2015, 08:20:25 AM »
Added bonus, anything to get under the skin of Badger fans by rooting for Michigan.

Hail!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 08:25:59 AM »
I grew up in Madison so I root for Wisconsin football but really only mildly.  However I don't own, and will never own, any UW gear. 

Chicos' Buzz Scandal Countdown

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2015, 08:51:27 AM »
Here is my hard and fast rule:

If your college or university did not have a football team, you may root for any team you wish.

However, you may not refer to them as "we", or trash talk a fan of another team who is an actual alum of that school.
DEFINITELY.

Apreciate the thoughts - all makes sense here.

My one hesitation is that walking around with a Michigan t-shirt on in Chicago, I'm expecting the occasional "when did you graduate?" from an alum looking to make a connection.

I'm clearly over-sensitive to this, but after seeing how many people will bring a Harvard sweatshirt back from Boston and wear it around with zero affiliation with the University.
"Half a billion we used to do about every two months...or as my old boss would say, 'you're on the hook for $8 million a day come hell or high water-.    Never missed in 6 years." - Chico apropos of nothing

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2015, 09:17:27 AM »
DEFINITELY.

My one hesitation is that walking around with a Michigan t-shirt on in Chicago, I'm expecting the occasional "when did you graduate?" from an alum looking to make a connection.

I'm clearly over-sensitive to this, but after seeing how many people will bring a Harvard sweatshirt back from Boston and wear it around with zero affiliation with the University.

It's pretty safe to assume that the overwhelming majority of folks who wear Harvard gear didn't actually graduate from there.

Same with Notre Dame or any of the original ten schools of the SEC.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 09:21:37 AM by warriorchick »
Have some patience, FFS.

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2015, 09:33:11 AM »
DEFINITELY.

Honestly, short of you engaging in extended conversation, you will likely get "Go Blue" or "nice shirt" more than anything else.  If it was a more niche school or something smaller outside the Midwest (aka a Marquette shirt in Arizona or something of the like), maybe, but there are so many Michigan grads in Chicago.

As I've mentioned here, I'm not a Marquette alum but have been a rabid fan since I was a toddler due to pretty profound family connection to the university.  As such, I have as many Marquette items as my alma mater.  I could easily fabricate enough to chat knowledgably with an alum like I went there, but more often then not its comments similar to what I mentioned above, a Go Warriors, or if during the winter, basketball comments.

As for my personal fanship, growing up in Wisconsin with an ingrained hatred of UW sports and parents who didn't follow college football, I was kind of on my own.  In middle school I became a Tennessee fan due to liking their colors, Rocky Top, and such through CFB video games.  I follow them fairly closely and could talk shop with an alum or fan from the area.  However I'd never get into a pissing match with other SEC fans and I'd also never root for them against my alma mater's lower level D-1 football team, something I can't say for a lot of my friends from college who were Ohio St fans.  Disgraceful

MUsoxfan

• Team Captain
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2015, 10:40:40 AM »
I've been an LSU football fan for 15 years. It happened rather accidentally, but every fall I proudly wear the purple and gold.

It beats the hell out of cheering for one of these Big 13 snorefest teams in the Midwest

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #12 on: August 31, 2015, 10:50:52 AM »
I don't watch much CFB - pretty much only when there's nothing else to do - but when I do, I just look for whichever games/matchups seem the most exciting.  And to the extent that I cheer for either team, it's usually because I like their style of play, particular players, etc.  The only team that I followed for more than a game or two in recent years was Boise State a few years back, when they were beating most of the BCS teams they played.  Kinda liked both the underdog factor and their wide-open style of play.  No single team has grabbed my interest since then.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2015, 11:49:17 AM »
I don't see the problem wearing other colleges shirts. I have everything from Northwestern gear to UCSB gear and everything in between.

I never went to a school with football, high school or college (obviously) but I have a pretty strong allegiance to Northwestern for football. Grew up like 10 minutes south of the stadium and was always a quick trip from the red line to the purple line.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2015, 12:08:51 PM »
I grew up in Madison so I root for Wisconsin football but really only mildly.  However I don't own, and will never own, any UW gear.

"I did NOT have sexual relations with that woman!"

Death on call

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 31, 2015, 01:29:09 PM »
I don't see the problem wearing other colleges shirts.

I have a Duke shirt from HS that got some major mileage (and dirty looks) in April.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2015, 02:53:25 PM »
My younger brother is a Spartan.   I hung out with him in East Lansing multiple weekends post college.   I have 1 Spartan tee.   I wear it when appropriate.     Go Green!
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #17 on: August 31, 2015, 03:42:50 PM »
I think the only thing I really have an issue with is band wagon jumpers.  As long as you can articulate why you like a team that doesn't start with "they are really good this year" I'm not going to care much.

"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #18 on: August 31, 2015, 03:48:29 PM »
Now here is a real conundrum for this crowd:

The wife character is pregnant with our first child, due in November.  She went to Madison, is a life long fan as is most of her family (her brother and SIL went to Madison as well) as is some of my family(aunt went to Madison and STH, mom grew up in Wisconsin, etc).  My largest concern after health is....does this kid turn into a Badger fan?  Kid isn't even born yet and there are at least 45 pieces of badger clothing in his closet (wife doesn't yet know of a large purchase of MU clothing on its way to our house)

I will make any deal with the devil to make sure he turns out a Marquette fan, but being STH, etc should help with that.  The thing is I really don't want him to be a Badger football fan either.  He doesn't have to be a Penn State fan at all, but I don't think I could handle another Badger fan in my house.

Anyone have similar experiences or live in split households?  My wife is a huge sports fan which I love but it makes it that much harder to raise this kid the right way  ;) ;D

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 31, 2015, 04:00:12 PM »

The wife character is pregnant with our first child, due in November.  She went to Madison, is a life long fan as is most of her family (her brother and SIL went to Madison as well) as is some of my family(aunt went to Madison and STH, mom grew up in Wisconsin, etc).  My largest concern after health is....does this kid turn into a Badger fan?  Kid isn't even born yet and there are at least 45 pieces of badger clothing in his closet (wife doesn't yet know of a large purchase of MU clothing on its way to our house)

I will make any deal with the devil to make sure he turns out a Marquette fan, but being STH, etc should help with that.  The thing is I really don't want him to be a Badger football fan either.  He doesn't have to be a Penn State fan at all, but I don't think I could handle another Badger fan in my house.

Anyone have similar experiences or live in split households?  My wife is a huge sports fan which I love but it makes it that much harder to raise this kid the right way  ;) ;D

First off, congratulations Phil.  That's wonderful news.

I wouldn't worry about it too much my friend.  We almost had a kid choose Wisconsin for college really only changing her mind somewhat later in the search process.  And although we've lived in metro Chicago for 30 years, this is entirely a Green and Gold house with both my kids extremely loyal to the Pack.  I'm confident one of my son's favorite days back in HS was the morning after the Pack beat the Bears for the NFC Championship at Soldier.  It'll happen the way it's supposed to.

Again, hearty congratulations!

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2015, 04:14:41 PM »

Assuming these  outfits are of varying sizes, take a picture of the kid in each outfit as he/she grows into it (with tags carefully hidden), and then take offending Badgerwear to a resale shop.  Take proceeds (most of them pay cash on the spot) to the Marquette Spirit Shop and buy more appropriate clothing.

Then, when someone asks, "How come mu03eng jr. never wears that Bucky onesie I bought him?", whip out your phone and say, "He wears it all the time.  Look, I even have a picture of him in it."

Dilemma solved.
Have some patience, FFS.

🏀

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2015, 04:46:55 PM »
I almost went to Michigan State, so I like to see them do well. I'm pretty partial to Northwestern as well, private school, not far away from me.

rocket surgeon

• All American
  • NA of course
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2015, 08:11:34 PM »
        ain't the univ. of michigan colors kinda close to ours?  just put a big U on the hat next to the M when you ain't rooting for the leatherheads-heyna? 
don't...don't don't don't don't

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2015, 08:38:50 PM »
One rule.

Never, ever, ever root for the f'ing leprechaun. 

Turn in your diploma.

Lou Holtz, poster child for drooling morons.

Legs, have you disowned your son yet?  ;)

augoman

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2015, 10:50:26 PM »
I 'adopted' Northwestern football when my youngest enrolled there.  I've had season tickets (and finally, pretty damn good seats) up until this year.  I was only able to make 2 games last season and plan to be south by November 1st from now on.
However, I still own bodacious amounts of NU sweatshirts, caps, golfshirts, etc.

feedback