collapse

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

Author Topic: BoDeans - August 28 - Jim Foley Mention  (Read 745 times)

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
BoDeans - August 28 - Jim Foley Mention
« on: August 30, 2015, 03:14:54 PM »
I took in my annual BoDeans' show this past Friday up in Hartford.
I did not get to speak with the band as usual, but I did pick up the new CD I can't stop .

There are liner notes I thought the Marquette community would find of interest.

August 19-2014
We watched in horror along with the rest of the world as the news was delivered that American journalist James Foley had been the first American citizen savagely murdered by ISIS.

Ten days later (Aug 29, 2014) we received a message from one of Jim's best friends-wanting to plan a show with us to raise funds for a scholarship in Jim's name.  It was then that we learned that Jim had graduated from Marquette in 1996-that BoDeans music was the soundtrack of their young lives-we were blown away.  This horrific act that touched us so immensely already, now was that much closer to home.  Our home-Milwaukee.  It's a brotherhood.  And, these guys were brothers-deeply committed friends who were desperate to continue Jim's amazing legacy.  We were honored to be chosen to perform at the James Foley benefit show at the Vic Theater in Chicago in November to raise money for the James Foley Scholarship Fund at Marquette University-it was a beautiful tribute to an amazing human being.  The building was packed full of people who new and loved Jim Foley-we learned so much more about what a remarkable human being he was and we ached for the fact that we never got the chance to know him.  Jim Foley was, by all accounts, a brilliant and dedicated journalist whose talent was dwarfed by his selflessness, kindness, decency, and dedication to reaching out and helping people that had no way to help themselves-to shine a light on stories few were willing to tell.

Jim Foley was taken from this world much too soon..he leaves behind a strong example of what we all should strive to be.

www.muconnect.marquette.edu/giving/foley-scholarship
« Last Edit: August 31, 2015, 08:42:28 AM by MU Fan in Connecticut »

tower912

• All American
Re: BoDeans - August 28
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 07:59:58 PM »
How was the show?    Are they starting to find their groove, post-Sammy?
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

MU Fan in Connecticut

• All American
Re: BoDeans - August 28 - Jim Foley Mention
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2015, 08:50:14 AM »
This was my first visit to the now 1-year old Infinity Hall of Hartford.  It's bigger than the smaller more intimate in-the-woods Norfolk, CT location.  They sounded good, just not as good as last year where they sounded great, but I think it may have been the larger venue & sound system. The theater was only half full and I spotted no alums (which usually happens).  They did play the night before down on the beach in Connecticut so maybe that was part of the attendance gap.

As a side note, PBS out here runs a few times a year Live from Infinity Hall where they record an artist in concert.  I don't know if they show outside the Northeast?

brandx

Re: BoDeans - August 28
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2015, 12:16:15 PM »
How was the show?    Are they starting to find their groove, post-Sammy?

I saw Sammy play at Summerfest in June - very good set.

feedback