[Today at 03:31:19 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Matt Heldt - the "Crasher"  (Read 7144 times)

moomoo

• Team Captain
Matt Heldt - the "Crasher"
« on: August 21, 2015, 09:34:05 AM »
Not talking about crashing weddings or parties.

Marquette friends

One of the concerns some of us had going into the season was the lack of true rebounder:  one who isn't afraid to crash the boards hard. And get a little rough.

Watching Matt in his limited minutes, I found him to be much thicker than I envisioned and he was also very comfortable throwing his body around. Even against the very big center in the last game, I thought he held(t) up strong.

At 6-10 250, could he be serving that role this year? 

Thanks.

Silenzio. Parla il moomoo.

tower912

• All American
Re: Matt Heldt - the "Crasher"
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 09:36:53 AM »
Barring injury, Matt is the back up big this year.   His job will be to come in, play hard, throw his weight around, play defense and help wear out the opposing big.    Offense will be gravy. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 09:50:10 AM »
i'm happy to have matt on the team, but in watching him play, i felt like the only thing he'd do for MU this year is give 5 fouls.  not confident he'll be able to rebound/defend, and his scoring will take some time.  he has the potential to play big minutes in the years to come...and it sounds like he has the work ethic as well. 

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 11:05:33 AM »
Michael Mache could crash the boards for the team.  Hopefully Wojo gives him a chance. 

chapman

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 11:55:43 AM »
Still very concerned about our rebounding, but the trip eased my mind a little.  Henry can get at the boards, Heldt is capable of pulling down a couple, and Sandy has made the biggest strides.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 12:40:48 PM »
Not talking about crashing weddings or parties.

Marquette friends

One of the concerns some of us had going into the season was the lack of true rebounder:  one who isn't afraid to crash the boards hard. And get a little rough.

Watching Matt in his limited minutes, I found him to be much thicker than I envisioned and he was also very comfortable throwing his body around. Even against the very big center in the last game, I thought he held(t) up strong.

At 6-10 250, could he be serving that role this year? 

Thanks.

One of my concerns has been who do we sit in order to get this "true rebounder" out on the floor; Henry Ellenson? Luke Fischer?

You are talking about a starter quality guy who will spend most of his time on the bench which most starter quality guys don't want to do.  That's why Kyle Washington is not here. (Because Henry might not leave after one year).

Maybe Wojo can get someone like this if he can get the program to the point where the team is consistently in the top ten.  Until then try to be satisfied with the best collection of big men at Marquette since the O'Neill era, if not the 1977 national championship.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 12:58:59 PM »
Michael Mache could crash the boards for the team.  Hopefully Wojo gives him a chance.

For realz?
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 02:04:25 PM »
This team has great rebounders....but terrible box outers
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 02:25:27 PM »
Barring injury, Matt is the back up big this year.   His job will be to come in, play hard, throw his weight around, play defense and help wear out the opposing big.    Offense will be gravy.

Word.  And give 5 fouls, as necessary. 

I like Matty a lot.  He's going to be a good player.  I can even envision him as a starter in 2 years.  As a Frosh, let's be pleased when he's serviceable. 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 02:27:49 PM »
We agree.   I like him more than I thought I would.   And, when Luke graduates, I am not going to lose sleep that MU lacks a serviceable big.   This year, though, he just needs to be muscle off of the bench.   And there is nothing wrong with that. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 02:33:36 PM »

No because he will play mind games with him and he will transfer!
Goal is National Championship

MU82

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 10:42:19 PM »

Oh boy.

Starting this already?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorFan

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2015, 02:33:11 AM »
Otule developed from 1.3ppg/1.1rpg as a freshman to 5.8/4.25 + 1 block as a super-senior.
I think we're looking at the same sort of player in Heldt.  If he ultimately provides 8/8/1 it would be great.
Hard working, tough, great attitude, but not highly skilled.
"The meaning of life isn't gnashing our bicuspids over what comes after death but tasting the tiny moments that come before it."

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #13 on: August 23, 2015, 07:40:18 AM »
Otule developed from 1.3ppg/1.1rpg as a freshman to 5.8/4.25 + 1 block as a super-senior.
I think we're looking at the same sort of player in Heldt.  If he ultimately provides 8/8/1 it would be great.

If you are saying he will get a better every year he plays, I agree with you. But he will put up better numbers than Otule did.

And if you are saying he will be here for 9+ seasons due to multiple injuries, I hope you are wrong for his sake!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #14 on: August 23, 2015, 08:10:41 AM »
If Heldt mirrors Otule's numbers, we will all be disappointed.  Heldt is a top 150 ranked player.  Otule was a great guy, worked hard, had his moments, but ultimately wasn't a top notch center.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2015, 09:39:51 AM »

He's actually really skilled. Just not very athletic or well conditioned yet.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2015, 12:50:04 PM »
Heldt has two functioning eyes.   If he can avoid the rest of the injuries that plagued CO, he will be fine.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2015, 03:24:18 PM »
I hope Heldt can be an important contributor to a S16-S16-E8 run as Otule was -- at least!

(And yes, I know Otule was hurt and missed the second S16 run.)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 23, 2015, 03:30:45 PM »
Fans here should be very happy with Heldt. He knew when he signed he would not start for two years. How many recruits are willing to come in and play back up for two years? Given the trouble MU seems to have in recruiting bigmen he is a key signee. Besides that he is going to play more than you guys think.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 08:45:09 AM by bilsu »

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #19 on: August 23, 2015, 09:43:44 PM »

Plus Tax

I see promising things in him.  I think he has the skills but he needs to improve his coordination and speed up his reaction times, which I'm sure will continue to improve during the season.

I see him helping us in spots with his Height and Bulk under the basket this year and earning more minutes next year.

During  the 4 games trip, I liked his FT's form, I know the FT stats were not good, but the shoots looked true and he seemed to shoot with confidence.

I'm happy that we may have him for 4 years.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #20 on: August 23, 2015, 11:30:23 PM »
If Heldt mirrors Otule's numbers, we will all be disappointed.  Heldt is a top 150 ranked player.  Otule was a great guy, worked hard, had his moments, but ultimately wasn't a top notch center.

Heldt was even ranked Top 100 by some services. In any event, I see him coming much closer to Robert Jackson than Chris Grimm.

Death on call

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2015, 01:55:34 AM »
Heldt will be just fine with a little time. Hope he goes from spot minutes this year where we hope he holds his own and doesn't get demolished to a solid contributor as a sophomore. Has the tools.

Otule vs. Matt - *NEED* Matt to be a much better Def Reb'r.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2015, 09:09:03 AM »
I hope Heldt can be an important contributor to a S16-S16-E8 run as Otule was -- at least!

(And yes, I know Otule was hurt and missed the second S16 run.)

With Otule that run would've been S16 E8 E8. Only way we beat that Florida team is with someone shutting down their height
Maigh Eo for Sam

lohaus

• Starter
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2015, 12:27:54 AM »

Agree, Heldt is much more skilled then Otule.  Way better hands.  He can finish left or right.  He already added more muscle to his body.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2015, 07:01:24 AM »
Heldt can do a lot of things Chris couldn't. Much better shooting the ball, should be better overall offensively. However what really made Chris so successful wasn't the stuff that showed up in the box score. He was good at boxing out (something our bigs now don't really seem to do) and even better at sealing the lane for drivers on offense.

This year I see Heldt as a 6-8 mpg guy who contributes minimally and does more learning on the job, which is fine. We don't need him to be more than that until his junior season provided Luke stays healthy.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.