[Today at 07:02:21 AM]

Dallas bars tonite by Marquette Gyros
[Today at 06:59:41 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Noskowiak  (Read 39967 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Noskowiak
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2015, 10:52:07 AM »
They are both Milwaukee firefighters I think.

NickelDimer

• All American
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2015, 10:52:12 AM »
    "There, but for the grace of God"......   
Thank you...gratitude is an amazing power
No Finish Line

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2015, 11:13:08 AM »
Opiates are a different animal than alcohol, certainly more addicting, and many do get started with "legitimate" prescriptions.  Down here in Kentucky we've recently (last several years) passed strict(er) laws regarding the prescribing of narcotic pain meds. One of the consequences has been an increase in heroin use (and deaths) as prescription opiates have become harder to come by... and often you'd be surprised at who is using.

Narcan is impressive to see in action (personally, I support the distribution of the auto-injectors, but that's a whole other debate).

The subject of substance abuse, particularly opioids and amphetamines, triggered a discussion at work yesterday. And what I heard from people in their 20s was shocking - there is an almost casual acceptance within the tech community that educated, upwardly mobile, ambitious professionals working long hours find solace/inspiration/release etc...through a variety of drugs.

I think boomers have always associated heroin use with either the desperately poor or artists but certainly not the upper middle class. (Mention heroin use and your mind flashes to John Hurt in Midnight Express or a gaunt, skeletal Keith Richards...) When I hear about kids with many privileges using heroin I am shocked; people in their 20s shrug it off as part of the norm.

We are now located in the Bravern Tower in downtown Bellevue. The first couple floors are Gucci, LV, Nieman Marcus, et al. I heard yesterday that many of the folks working on floors 3-10 take 'smoke breaks' down stairs outside Tiffany's. Someone pointed out that you can tell if MS is nearing a ship date by the number of people heading outside to recharge their battery.

When I asked, 'but why?' the answer was another question: "How do you think all these people work 50 straight hours all the time?"

Death on call

tower912

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 21, 2015, 11:13:39 AM »
Tower and brew.  Both of you seem very knowledgeable.  Might I ask your professions without asking you to reveal too much?  Thanks guys.

Firefighter.   Not in Milwaukee.    Alan is on in Milwaukee.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 21, 2015, 11:19:29 AM »
The subject of substance abuse, particularly opioids and amphetamines, triggered a discussion at work yesterday. And what I heard from people in their 20s was shocking - there is an almost casual acceptance within the tech community that educated, upwardly mobile, ambitious professionals working long hours find solace/inspiration/release etc...through a variety of drugs.

I think boomers have always associated heroin use with either the desperately poor or artists but certainly not the upper middle class. (Mention heroin use and your mind flashes to John Hurt in Midnight Express or a gaunt, skeletal Keith Richards...) When I hear about kids with many privileges using heroin I am shocked; people in their 20s shrug it off as part of the norm.

We are now located in the Bravern Tower in downtown Bellevue. The first couple floors are Gucci, LV, Nieman Marcus, et al. I heard yesterday that many of the folks working on floors 3-10 take 'smoke breaks' down stairs outside Tiffany's. Someone pointed out that you can tell if MS is nearing a ship date by the number of people heading outside to recharge their battery.

When I asked, 'but why?' the answer was another question: "How do you think all these people work 50 straight hours all the time?"

It has been mentioned before but the step from casual pharma abuse to heroin abuse is shorter than we like to admit.

I'm 28. My generation was pretty open to experimenting with marijuana, but it sure seems that Gen-X and Boomers were too. It seems like psychedelics like LSD that were so popular in the 60s have faded out and opiates have faded in. Is it that my generation has a more cavalier attitude toward drugs than those past? Or is it just that the "tastes and preferences" have shifted toward a different class of drugs?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 21, 2015, 11:21:15 AM »
It has been mentioned before but the step from casual pharma abuse to heroin abuse is shorter than we like to admit.

I'm 28. My generation was pretty open to experimenting with marijuana, but it sure seems that Gen-X and Boomers were too. It seems like psychedelics like LSD that were so popular in the 60s have faded out and opiates have faded in. Is it that my generation has a more cavalier attitude toward drugs than those past? Or is it just that the "tastes and preferences" have shifted toward a different class of drugs?

I think the high prescription of painkillers and the abundance of cheap, potent heroin is the problem. 

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 21, 2015, 11:25:02 AM »
Let us pray that keefe's info isn't accurate.  And if it tragically is, let us pray even harder.

Keefe is accurate, time to close this, let the kid be, needs to get his head screwed on, it is to bad, had talent.  His life is more important than basketball.  Carter was
a great pick-up, lets talk about him.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 21, 2015, 11:27:16 AM »
Firefighter.   Not in Milwaukee.    Alan is on in Milwaukee.

Thank you for your service.  My great uncle was Captain for many years at 56th & Oklahoma.  I'd ride my bike up there as a grade school kid and was always welcome.  I'm sure you and brew see way too much but must take real satisfaction when you get to help someone.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #58 on: August 21, 2015, 11:30:48 AM »

I think as Brew mentioned, the casual acceptance of chemistry to treat pretty much everything has become commonplace today and so the stigmatic barriers are culturally eliminated.

What is shocking to me is how many rational, sophisticated people have incorporated drugs into their work/play cycle. Amphetamines fuel the 72-96 hour work marathons and opioids eases the transition into the recreational phase. MS puts showers in the workplace and some people find that helps facilitate the meth-powered week long, never go home work cycles.     

Death on call

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #59 on: August 21, 2015, 12:15:44 PM »
Don't know the insinuations. Guy has had multiple chance already to turn his life around. Worst part about it is he accused his dad of abuse, which seems to be a lie. Multiple chances to get back on his high school team and MU stood by his side until the very end. Then he's open and all these major schools go after him again. Guy has more perspective than most kids his age and he still making childish mistakes. Strikes me as a punk ass who thinks he's above most. Honestly, if he wasn't a player he'd just be another kid out of high school making bad decisions. Plenty other kids truly born into tragic situations that deserve people's attention. Look no further than the city of Milwaukee.

Everyone else is on their soapbox but I'm with you.

LAMUfan

• All American
« Reply #60 on: August 21, 2015, 12:24:06 PM »
serious solution: make every 7th grader watch The Wire.  No one wants to be bubbles.

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #61 on: August 21, 2015, 12:26:54 PM »

Everyone else is on their soapbox understands that mental illness and substance abuse can affect even relatively privileged people but I'm with you.

fify

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #62 on: August 21, 2015, 12:36:40 PM »
serious solution: make every 7th grader watch The Wire.  No one wants to be bubbles.

He lived a great lifestyle. Slangin white Tees
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #63 on: August 21, 2015, 12:52:56 PM »
Thank you for your service.  My great uncle was Captain for many years at 56th & Oklahoma.  I'd ride my bike up there as a grade school kid and was always welcome.  I'm sure you and brew see way too much but must take real satisfaction when you get to help someone.

Manitoba or Blessed Sacrament?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #64 on: August 21, 2015, 01:04:36 PM »

I've spent quite a few nights at Engine 10. Great firehouse, have a lot of friends that work there, including my first senior firefighter.

It's amazing where you find hard substance abuse. As keefe mentioned, the old mindset was that heroin was the drug of the poor and the tortured artists. But while I work in the heart of the city (currently running out of 27th and Capitol) it's amazing to see who we get for heroin overdoses. Within the past month we had a double-overdose, husband and wife pair from the suburbs that OD'd together. When we woke them up, he kept asking me who was going to take care of his kids if he and his wife were both arrested.

The 20-somethings are very prevalent as well, both for amphetamines and opiates. Just amazing how easily it's embraced. jficke13 is completely right, it's a very short step from prescription drugs to street drugs. The other problem is the dealers know that and work hard to exploit it.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #65 on: August 21, 2015, 01:09:56 PM »
Obviously it looks like Marquette dodged a bit of a bullet, but that shouldn't matter at this point. Really hope that he can figure his life out and get on the right path. More important things at stake here than basketball. Not good at all.

Travis Hines ‏@TravisHines21 11m11 minutes ago

ISU's N.Noskowiak has been charged w/ multiple offenses recently in Wis., including OWI & recklessly endangering safety (felony) per records

http://amestrib.com/sports/men-s-basketball-noskowiak-facing-multiple-charges-wisconsin

Believe me it matters quite a bit.  And add Wojo to the list of those who dodged the bullet.  How much would Mike Broeker have had to temper his comments on the program under Wojo during the European trip if Nick were still a Marquette commit?   To his credit Wojo seemed to be sticking with Nick until Nick decided not to follow good advice.  Probably as good a decision rule as any when deciding when to cut ties.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 01:46:54 PM by Crean to Ann Arbor »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MarquetteDano

• All American
« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2015, 01:41:12 PM »

Or the movie "Requiem for a Dream".

PuertoRicanNightmare

• All American
« Reply #67 on: August 21, 2015, 01:56:58 PM »
Unless you've watched somebody inject heroin you cannot speak to the harm it causes or its potential benefits.

jficke13

• All American
« Reply #68 on: August 21, 2015, 02:48:16 PM »
Unless you've watched somebody inject heroin you cannot speak to the harm it causes or its potential benefits.

Is "it" heroin? Narcann?

If it's heroin then that's an awful high standard. Does it apply to other harmful things?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #69 on: August 21, 2015, 03:30:42 PM »

I would wholeheartedly disagree with this. It doesn't take watching someone shoot up to see the destructive ramifications heroin can have on the body, on the user's family, or on the other aspects of their life.

And FWIW, I have watched somebody inject heroin, and have far more experience with the fallout from heroin abuse than most (from my personal life, not the job). Not sure which benefits you are talking about, the benefits of Narcan or the benefits of using heroin.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #70 on: August 21, 2015, 03:36:52 PM »
Manitoba or Blessed Sacrament?

I would have been at St. Greg's but did 55th Street School instead.  It was converted to Spanish immersion some decades ago.   Went on to TMore as a 7th grader before they shut the middle school down.  (Now you understand all my jokes about MUHS.)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 03:40:05 PM by jsglow »

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #71 on: August 21, 2015, 03:40:13 PM »
I would wholeheartedly disagree with this. It doesn't take watching someone shoot up to see the destructive ramifications heroin can have on the body, on the user's family, or on the other aspects of their life.

And FWIW, I have watched somebody inject heroin, and have far more experience with the fallout from heroin abuse than most (from my personal life, not the job). Not sure which benefits you are talking about, the benefits of Narcan or the benefits of using heroin.

Yo, serious guy, he was bustin' balls re: "unless you've paid $5 to watch the Pro-Am you're unqualified to speak on it"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #72 on: August 21, 2015, 03:43:43 PM »

Don't worry.  PRN is just being his usual trollish self.

mu-rara

• All American
« Reply #73 on: August 21, 2015, 03:53:59 PM »
I wear a wristband in memory of the child of a friend.  Every time I see his mom I see the harm it causes.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #74 on: August 21, 2015, 04:39:50 PM »

Well, at least you can be proud knowing you are in the running for dumbest comment of all time.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....