[Today at 06:01:46 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by willie warrior
[Today at 05:36:43 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Could The NCAA Have A Summer Basketball League?  (Read 2035 times)

Tugg Speedman

• All American
Could The NCAA Have A Summer Basketball League?
« on: August 20, 2015, 12:11:13 PM »
The NCAA allows a 10 day trip with four exhibition games every four years (so everyone gets 1 trip if they stay four years).

Why not a 10 day summer league in August for the rest of the teams in the US.  They can play other schools, made up teams (like the Milwaukee Pro-AM) or traveling foreign teams.

Football has spring training ending with its intra-squad game.  Why not some equivalent for basketball in August?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2015, 05:57:37 PM by Heisenberg »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Could THe NCAA Have A Summer Basketball League?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 12:16:01 PM »
I think the equivalent of the intra-squad game will continue to be the closed-door scrimmage. Don't see them doing it because it'd be too much work without enough profit. Pro Am events can be fun, but most of them don't pack the gyms, and we're already seeing some coaches restrict allowing their players to play in them. I can't see the NCAA getting into that business. The exhibitions allow the NCAA to expose the rest of the world to their teams and try to generate some global interest for basketball in the USA beyond the NBA.

Admittedly, I could be way off base, but I can't imagine it even being as popular as the NBA Summer Leagues, and it's not like those are ratings grabbers or money producers. The NCAA will be motivated by money, especially for the sports that are relatively self-sustaining.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

MUchamp22

• Scholarship Player
Re: Could THe NCAA Have A Summer Basketball League?
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 09:36:43 AM »
I think the equivalent of the intra-squad game will continue to be the closed-door scrimmage. Don't see them doing it because it'd be too much work without enough profit. Pro Am events can be fun, but most of them don't pack the gyms, and we're already seeing some coaches restrict allowing their players to play in them. I can't see the NCAA getting into that business. The exhibitions allow the NCAA to expose the rest of the world to their teams and try to generate some global interest for basketball in the USA beyond the NBA.

Admittedly, I could be way off base, but I can't imagine it even being as popular as the NBA Summer Leagues, and it's not like those are ratings grabbers or money producers. The NCAA will be motivated by money, especially for the sports that are relatively self-sustaining.

I think the summer league comparison is kind of irrelevant. The reason summer league isn't popular is because in reality each team has one or two players who will actually be on the NBA roster. So the fans of that specific team just look at the boxscore to see how those guys did. However, an NCAA version would be interesting cause every fan would care to see how their team did because its the same roster they will see during the real season. Also, if they did it in early August it would get attention because there isn't that much actually happening in the sports world right now. That being said I don't think it will ever happen. The NCAA has too much on its plate right now to set something like this up and I don't think student-athletes are going to be signing on to make the NCAA more money, even if it will help their season. It is a really interesting idea though

GGGG

• All American
Re: Could The NCAA Have A Summer Basketball League?
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 10:14:32 AM »
I like this idea.  You already have increased contact in the summer, so while you may not be able to have a full league, why not dedicate a couple weekends to a couple tournaments.  Four teams, each play on Saturday and Sunday. 

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Could The NCAA Have A Summer Basketball League?
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 11:57:58 AM »
The NCAA allows a 10 day trip with four exhibition games every four years (so everyone gets 1 trip if they stay four years).

Why not a 10 day summer league in August for the rest of the teams in the US.  They can play other schools, made up teams (like the Milwaukee Pro-AM) or traveling foreign teams.

Football has spring training ending with its intra-squad game.  Why not some equivalent for basketball in August?

Foreign tours do not allow you to play other schools.

I find your idea to be nuts.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.