[Today at 06:44:40 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Jay Bee
[Today at 06:42:08 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 06:32:48 AM]

Big East 23-24 NCAA and NIT Results by tower912
[Today at 06:21:27 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Jim Burr retiring  (Read 11298 times)

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Jim Burr retiring
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 10:10:51 AM »
Who's the next ref we can say is "out to get us"?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 10:13:59 AM »

I don't think the issue with Jim Burr was him being out to get us, it was that he was obsessed with being the main attraction. He constantly tried to take control of the game instead of letting the players play. He also had a tendency to favor the visitors. That both harmed and benefited us, but he seemed to like getting the home crowd against him. He was also fat, old, and out of shape, which meant he was unable to keep up with the pace of play and often made calls that either (a) he was not in position to make or (b) were not his calls to make in the first place.

One of the worst refs in the game and all of college basketball will be better for him leaving the game.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 10:15:51 AM »

Yea, I don't think he was ever put to get Marquette, he was just a bad referee. For any and all teams.

MUchamp22

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 10:22:14 AM »
Yea, I don't think he was ever put to get Marquette, he was just a bad referee. For any and all teams.

Jim Burr was consistently rated in the top five of refs every year. He was not a bad ref by any stretch of the imagination. People may have disliked the way he acted on the court or how he made the calls, but he was not a bad referee at all.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 10:24:18 AM »
I remember being at a game last year when we had some 5th team stiff as a ref and I exclaimed loudly 'Can't believe I'd ever wish Jim Burr was here!' Entire section laughed audibly.  It was a loooong year boys. 

Godspeed.  I'm told that off the court he's a very nice guy that cares deeply about the game.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 10:25:47 AM »
Jim Burr was consistently rated in the top five of refs every year. He was not a bad ref by any stretch of the imagination. People may have disliked the way he acted on the court or how he made the calls, but he was not a bad referee at all.

Wait, what games were you watching? My general rule is if I know your name as a ref, it's not a good thing.

mu_hilltopper

• Warrior
  • Global Moderator
  • All American
    • https://twitter.com/nihilist_arbys
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 10:26:26 AM »

Curious .. link to the rankings?

MUchamp22

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2015, 10:30:09 AM »
Wait, what games were you watching? My general rule is if I know your name as a ref, it's not a good thing.

Jim Burr in his entire career only missed reffing one NCAA tournament and that because of a paperwork issue. He reffed 16 Final Fours and 7 National Title games, they award those based on merit. He's a good ref

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2015, 11:07:10 AM »
Didn't cracked sidewalks or Painttouches do a post a few years ago about which ref is actually out to get us?
Maigh Eo for Sam

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2015, 11:24:56 AM »
All that means is he is making calls you do not like. That does not mean he is a bad ref. I usually try to tape the games. When there is a call I think was wrong in the game, I watch for it in the taped game. Usually, after seeing it there I agree with the call. What you see is definitely affected by where your seats are in the arena.

It seem s to me that with a three man ref crew that it is usually one ref that makes the majority of calls. This is the ref that the fans do not like, but the refs that do not make calls are the worst refs.

MUchamp22

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2015, 11:32:45 AM »
All that means is he is making calls you do not like. That does not mean he is a bad ref. I usually try to tape the games. When there is a call I think was wrong in the game, I watch for it in the taped game. Usually, after seeing it there I agree with the call. What you see is definitely affected by where your seats are in the arena.

It seem s to me that with a three man ref crew that it is usually one ref that makes the majority of calls. This is the ref that the fans do not like, but the refs that do not make calls are the worst refs.

What he said haha ;D

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 11:37:09 AM »
All that means is he is making calls you do not like. That does not mean he is a bad ref.

If I only watched Marquette, I'd agree with you. But Jim Burr is terrible across the board. Once upon a time, he may have been a very good ref. He isn't anymore and while he continues to be selected for the tournament, I definitely feel that is largely on history. He hasn't reffed a Final Four since 2006.

Burr is fat and out of shape. He can't keep up with the speed of the game and he cares more about being demonstrative than he does getting it right. He frequently makes calls he isn't in position to make and does so with as much gusto as he can muster to remind people he is relevant. Again, this isn't just in Marquette games, it's in games around the league and the country. Was Jim Burr a good ref? Maybe a decade ago, but not anymore, and not for a long time now.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2015, 11:41:03 AM »
He frequently makes calls he isn't in position to make and does so with as much gusto as he can muster to remind people he is relevant.

This is my biggest issue with him.  He also had a propensity to override another officials call even though they had a better look at the play.

It'll be interesting to see if the pace of play picks up, if that will drive some of the more "robust" officials from the games.  Really should have a fitness requirement for all sporting officials.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MUchamp22

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2015, 11:46:59 AM »
Obviously, we differ in opinion which is fine. Refs are controversial figures and everyone has a different view of them. The coaches respect him as a good official and I agree. Even Jim Boeheim said good things about him and Burr and Boeheim would go at it every game I can remember. Overall, have to respect a man who has done is so well for so long. Even if he did drop off a bit in the last couple years.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2015, 01:21:36 PM »
Curious .. link to the rankings?

http://statsheet.com used to have them - and I just found out they're no longer doing basketball stats (RIP).  But here was an article written based on their stats.

http://colinwilliamweaver.com/2014/01/22/the-10-worst-referees-in-ncaa-mens-division-i-basketball-as-well-as-the-best/

No mention of Burr.  Maybe he was 11th :)

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2015, 01:25:09 PM »

Maybe Ed Hightower will come back from retirement.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #17 on: August 20, 2015, 01:40:22 PM »

Based on the data, Doug Shows, John Gaffney, or Les Jones

MU86NC

• Starter
« Reply #18 on: August 20, 2015, 02:24:47 PM »
Good riddance ....

seakm4

• Team Captain
« Reply #19 on: August 20, 2015, 02:29:07 PM »

Pat Driscoll

#UnleashSean

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 20, 2015, 02:32:37 PM »
My name sake is gone? Oh god =(

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 20, 2015, 02:59:17 PM »
Jim Burr in his entire career only missed reffing one NCAA tournament and that because of a paperwork issue. He reffed 16 Final Fours and 7 National Title games, they award those based on merit. He's a good ref

And Joey Crawford  has worked many NBA Finals. More than an y other active ref in the league, in fact.
I think people dislike Burr not just because he made the occasional bad call - all refs make the occasional bad call - but because, like Crawford, he had a habit of making himself a part of the game.
The best refs are the ones you don't notice, right? Burr made sure he was noticed.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 20, 2015, 04:25:24 PM »
Pat Driscoll

He would have fit right in with the T-happy refs over the past week.

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
« Reply #23 on: August 20, 2015, 05:07:54 PM »
Maybe Ed Hightower will come back from retirement.

I'd get behind this just for the photoshops.

vogue65

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 20, 2015, 07:26:17 PM »
The most difficult decision I have had to make in my life has been the decision to retire.....I don't know why that is, probably because when we get old the mind is not as quick at making decisions.

Many professions have cut off dates, pilots and military officers have to hang it up at an age of at a number of years serving.

It would be a good idea to do the same with refs. and umps.

I have a friend who umpires little league and A.L. baseball and he is ready to die.  I hope the kids don't have to witness it.

Anyway, I can't believe Mr. Burr is retiring, he may take back his papers, ha.  I liked the refs. on the Italy trip, calls or non-calls notwithstanding.  They were fit, enthusiastic, and could keep up with the action, the way a game should be officiated.

Bye-bye Mr. Burr.....