[April 19, 2024, 11:53:22 PM]

santa rosa flirt adult by JakeBarnes
[April 19, 2024, 11:23:24 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by Jockey
[April 19, 2024, 11:10:31 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Scoop Snoop
[April 19, 2024, 09:34:36 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Somewhat informed minutes distribution discussion  (Read 16909 times)

bilsu

• All American
Re: Somewhat informed minutes distribution discussion
« Reply #50 on: August 21, 2015, 03:18:32 PM »
There are really 6 catgories
C. #1-2
PF #1-2
SF 4-6 could be high
SG  3-4 could be low
PG 7-10 could be low
Bench 1-2 I doubt that other teams have 5 players capable of contributing

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #51 on: August 21, 2015, 03:35:24 PM »
There are really 6 catgories
C. #1-2
PF #1-2
SF 4-6 could be high
SG  3-4 could be low
PG 7-10 could be low
Bench 1-2 I doubt that other teams have 5 players capable of contributing

I agree with this. I think SF will be easily our weakest position. I don't think Sandy is bad at all, but I think our 1, 2, 4, and 5 are all really good.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #52 on: August 21, 2015, 05:57:15 PM »
Last year... Dunn at Providence they finished 4th

To be honest, I forgot Dunn split the award with Arci. I thought Arci was the sole winner.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2015, 07:58:52 PM »
1 month until we get to see how these minutes pan out... It looks like it's a pretty sure thing that the starting 5 are:

The Engine
Du Wilson
Sandy
HE
Luke

I gotta believe that's a pretty strong, albeit, young starting 5. Should be athletic and high flying out there! Love it!

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2015, 09:11:09 PM »
1 month until we get to see how these minutes pan out... It looks like it's a pretty sure thing that the starting 5 are:

The Engine
Du Wilson
Sandy
HE
Luke

I gotta believe that's a pretty strong, albeit, young starting 5. Should be athletic and high flying out there! Love it!

JJJ must not be in Wojo's good graces or not making a jump. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2015, 10:42:06 PM »
JJJ must not be in Wojo's good graces or not making a jump.

Or pegged for an instant offense role, a'inal?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2015, 07:47:29 AM »
Is JJ better than Duane?   Does he have enough size to start at the 3?   JJ will get the minutes he earns.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2015, 07:52:43 AM »
Just because someone starts, that doesn't necessarily mean anything.  Let's see how the substitution patterns and minutes play out before seeing what JJJ's role is.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2015, 08:18:22 AM »
JjJ will get minutes as he's likely the first man off the bench or 3rd guard if we go small but I can't see him getting more than 20 minutes.  Duane is going to have to be on the court a lot and 2/small 3 is the only position JjJ has.  So he'll play the 2 when Duane is out or if Duane moves to the 1 and I can't see us going small all that much.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #59 on: October 14, 2015, 09:03:38 AM »
Is JJ better than Duane?   Does he have enough size to start at the 3?   JJ will get the minutes he earns.

I mean according to listed height sandys only an inch taller. JJJ isn't efficient but averaged 6 more points than Sandy last year. Oh well have to wait and see
Maigh Eo for Sam

tower912

• All American
« Reply #60 on: October 14, 2015, 09:10:24 AM »
In Wojo's press conference, he praised Sandy and said how much bigger he had gotten.    He said that JJJ had progressed over the summer but had to become a better defender and needed to not settle for jumpers.   
Wojo is so vanilla, so coach-speak, so clichéd, that it is difficult to know what he is saying or if he is saying anything at all.    However, last year, the one person who he said needed to work on his defense and his decision making never saw the floor.    So, perhaps this is reading WAYYYYY too much into a couple of non-statements.     Sandy starts because of size.    Also, there will be abundant scoring in the starting line up.    JJJ still gets the minutes he earns, but his role will not be as a starter. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #61 on: October 14, 2015, 09:15:10 AM »
In Wojo's press conference, he praised Sandy and said how much bigger he had gotten.    He said that JJJ had progressed over the summer but had to become a better defender and needed to not settle for jumpers.   
Wojo is so vanilla, so coach-speak, so clichéd, that it is difficult to know what he is saying or if he is saying anything at all.    However, last year, the one person who he said needed to work on his defense and his decision making never saw the floor.    So, perhaps this is reading WAYYYYY too much into a couple of non-statements.     Sandy starts because of size.    Also, there will be abundant scoring in the starting line up.    JJJ still gets the minutes he earns, but his role will not be as a starter. 

#mindgames

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #62 on: October 14, 2015, 09:25:34 AM »
I mean according to listed height sandys only an inch taller. JJJ isn't efficient but averaged 6 more points than Sandy last year. Oh well have to wait and see

Only an inch taller, but watching those Europe games, Sandy looked a good 20-30 pounds heavier. Cohen really filled out the past few months, whereas Jajuan is still pretty lean.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #63 on: October 14, 2015, 10:04:24 AM »
Only an inch taller, but watching those Europe games, Sandy looked a good 20-30 pounds heavier. Cohen really filled out the past few months, whereas Jajuan is still pretty lean.

And Sandy could always shoot better than JjJ and if Italy is any indication he can at least handle the ball if not drive as well as JjJ.

I firmly believe, that if JjJ doesn't see many minutes or isn't a big piece of the team this year it is going to his mental game that failed him as he physically has the tools.  I also think Wojo will have a short leash on a veteran doing stupid stuff because he's got a lot of freshman that he has to teach to do the right things on the court and having a veteran not doing them and still playing would be an issue.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #64 on: October 14, 2015, 10:20:17 AM »
Wojo is so vanilla, so coach-speak, so clichéd, that it is difficult to know what he is saying or if he is saying anything at all.    However, last year, the one person who he said needed to work on his defense and his decision making never saw the floor.    So, perhaps this is reading WAYYYYY too much into a couple of non-statements.     Sandy starts because of size.    Also, there will be abundant scoring in the starting line up.    JJJ still gets the minutes he earns, but his role will not be as a starter.

I think that is one of the biggest parts of it.  With Duane, HE, and Luke in the game at the same time, there isn't a need for a scorer who isn't quite as good defensively or on the glass.  Sandy provides more efficiency here, a better 3 point shot, better defense.  Bring JjJ off the bench when we need scoring.

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #65 on: October 14, 2015, 12:38:11 PM »
Bored at work, so I did some quick and dirty KenPom math on guessing our height and experience ratings. Since we have so many guys around the same height (6'5"-6'6"), the minutes split for those guys doesn't matter as much, but the outliers from that range are:

Fischer: 30
H Ellenson: 32
Wilson: 31
Carter: 25
Heldt: 4 (maybe generous)

Assuming I didn't füçk up the formulas...

THE GOOD NEWS:
This should be the tallest team we've had in years, with an average height weighted by minutes of 77.9". Last season, this would have been about the 25th tallest lineup in the country. For comparison, our height last year was 190th at 76.6".

THE BETTER NEWS:
Our effective height (height weighted by minutes at the 4 and 5) is +3.9" vs the national average. Last season, this would have placed us 10th in the country instead of our actual figure of -0.5 and 203rd. Pomeroy has found that there is a more substantial correlation between height at the 4 and 5 and overall team defensive performance than if you use the height of all 5 players on the court. So this could be good.

THE NOT SURPRISING NEWS:
This should be the least experienced roster at MU in quite some time. Additionally, we'll be one of the least experienced teams in D1, with an average of .9 years of college ball per player on the court at any time. Last year this would have placed us 342nd in the country. Since Pomeroy started tracking this in 2007, we've consistently been above 2 years of average experience.

BRIGHTSIDING:
Here are some other tall, inexperienced teams from the past couple seasons:
2015: Kentucky, Duke, Kansas, LSU, UCLA
2014: Kentucky, Michigan, Arizona, NC St, Colorado, UNC

Sure, there were also some really bad teams with this makeup, and these factors by themselves don't mean much at all, but we'll hold off on the doom & gloom until after we lose a game. 

fjm

• All American
« Reply #66 on: October 14, 2015, 01:20:01 PM »
Bored at work, so I did some quick and dirty KenPom math on guessing our height and experience ratings. Since we have so many guys around the same height (6'5"-6'6"), the minutes split for those guys doesn't matter as much, but the outliers from that range are:

THE GOOD NEWS:
This should be the tallest team we've had in years, with an average height weighted by minutes of 77.9". Last season, this would have been about the 25th tallest lineup in the country. For comparison, our height last year was 190th at 76.6".

THE BETTER NEWS:
Our effective height (height weighted by minutes at the 4 and 5) is +3.9" vs the national average. Last season, this would have placed us 10th in the country instead of our actual figure of -0.5 and 203rd. Pomeroy has found that there is a more substantial correlation between height at the 4 and 5 and overall team defensive performance than if you use the height of all 5 players on the court. So this could be good.

THE NOT SURPRISING NEWS:
This should be the least experienced roster at MU in quite some time. Additionally, we'll be one of the least experienced teams in D1, with an average of .9 years of college ball per player on the court at any time. Last year this would have placed us 342nd in the country. Since Pomeroy started tracking this in 2007, we've consistently been above 2 years of average experience.

BRIGHTSIDING:

Sure, there were also some really bad teams with this makeup, and these factors by themselves don't mean much at all, but we'll hold off on the doom & gloom until after we lose a game.

Awesome

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #67 on: October 14, 2015, 01:22:54 PM »

THE GOOD NEWS:

THE BETTER NEWS:

THE NOT SURPRISING NEWS:

BRIGHTSIDING:

I think one of the other brightsiding items should be this is the most flexible team roster in years.  Not in a yoga sense, but we can play small ball, big ball, full court, hero ball (HE), etc all depending on what the other team can do.

That's why my biggest concern going into the season on our podcast (what podcast you say, glad you asked :) http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=48885.0) is whether or not Wojo can coach.  I think he can and he's got talent/flexibility to do a lot of things, can he take advantage and minimize the experience issue?

fjm

• All American
« Reply #68 on: October 14, 2015, 01:44:00 PM »
I think one of the other brightsiding items should be this is the most flexible team roster in years.  Not in a yoga sense, but we can play small ball, big ball, full court, hero ball (HE), etc all depending on what the other team can do.

That's why my biggest concern going into the season on our podcast (what podcast you say, glad you asked :) http://www.muscoop.com/index.php?topic=48885.0) is whether or not Wojo can coach.  I think he can and he's got talent/flexibility to do a lot of things, can he take advantage and minimize the experience issue?

Awkward as F. I'm listening to that exact point in the podcast right now, and completely agree.

Although you did think we are going to win 13 BE games, I like it!

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #69 on: October 14, 2015, 01:47:18 PM »
@Matt_Velazquez: Steve Wojciechowski says he believes #mubb is currently "light years" ahead of where the program was when he took over. #BEmediaday

Cooby Snacks

• Team Captain
« Reply #70 on: October 14, 2015, 03:01:21 PM »
@Matt_Velazquez: Steve Wojciechowski says he believes #mubb is currently "light years" ahead of where the program was when he took over. #BEmediaday

Glad to hear Wojo has Wojo's vote of confidence for how things are going.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #71 on: November 10, 2015, 12:32:52 PM »
Ok, so vs VCSU we started:
Duane
JJJ
Cohen
HE
Luke..

Is this the perceived starting line up for Belmont then? No engine or Cheatam starting?

pacearrow02

• Starter
« Reply #72 on: November 10, 2015, 01:25:45 PM »
I think game 1 going against a talented and experienced team this lineup makes the most sense.  4 guys who have had enough playing time that they shouldn't come out and be overwhelmed by the moment and add Ellenson makes for a good starting 5.  In a back and forth battle I have MU pulling out a victory 76-71!!

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #73 on: November 10, 2015, 01:54:25 PM »

When Wojo was done congratulating himself did he acknowledge that #mubb is still light years behind where it was a year before he took over?

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #74 on: November 10, 2015, 02:04:59 PM »
It seemed Wojo really tried a lot of different line-ups last night. I think every coach does that early especially with so many new players so I wouldn't write down any starting line-up unless you're doing it in pencil.