[Today at 09:13:49 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by Lennys Tap
[Today at 07:56:17 PM]

Best case scenarios by Frenns Liquor Depot
[Today at 03:55:21 PM]

Marquette Football Update by Viper
[Today at 11:02:10 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Haanif Cheetham cleared to play  (Read 4480 times)

Big Daddy 84

• Team Captain
Haanif Cheetham cleared to play
« on: August 19, 2015, 02:20:38 PM »
I know this was posted in a different link, but I felt it should be noted in a separate one.  Definition of Irony: official papers received by MU as the last game was being played today.   

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
Re: Haanif Cheetham cleared to play
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2015, 02:33:03 PM »
It is all a conspiracy, ai na!
Goal is National Championship

NotAnAlum

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2015, 03:09:58 PM »
You've got to wonder what would have happened to MU if they had just let Cheetham play for all the games on the trip.  I mean these are not NCAA games.  Usually if you play with a player who might be ineligible in game you run the risk of having the game declared a forfeit.  But these games don't count in the first place.  Look at it another way.  If you are considering red shirting and you play in these games can you not longer do an elective red shirt?  Why not, these games don't count, they're really nothing more than practice.  If MU had an open gym scrimmage game against a bunch of post college players from the MKE area could Cheetham have played in that?
I guess I don't get why the NCAA had any say beyond letting MU go on the trip in the first place.

mug644

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2015, 03:21:11 PM »
You've got to wonder what would have happened to MU if they had just let Cheetham play for all the games on the trip.  I mean these are not NCAA games.  Usually if you play with a player who might be ineligible in game you run the risk of having the game declared a forfeit.  But these games don't count in the first place.  Look at it another way.  If you are considering red shirting and you play in these games can you not longer do an elective red shirt?  Why not, these games don't count, they're really nothing more than practice.  If MU had an open gym scrimmage game against a bunch of post college players from the MKE area could Cheetham have played in that?
I guess I don't get why the NCAA had any say beyond letting MU go on the trip in the first place.

My guess is that the NCAA doesn't see it that way. They see these games more like exhibition games, and I assume he would've been held out of them too. I do see your point, though.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2015, 03:33:10 PM »
10 days too late.   Ah, well.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2015, 03:35:57 PM »

Good points, but I would guess these games would be "forfeited" and then he would have to sit additional "real" games as well.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2015, 03:52:09 PM »
Falls into the category of crap happens.  Happy Haanif is cleared.  Happy he made the trip and participated in every way except the game.  Happy that we'll be even better once he dons the #25.

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2015, 05:01:21 PM »
10 days too late.   Ah, well.
Middle of August prior to HC's Freshmen year---I think he'll be alright.
Great he was able to go to Italy.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2015, 05:23:19 PM »
Middle of August prior to HC's Freshmen year---I think he'll be alright.
Great he was able to go to Italy.

Yup.    In the big picture, mouse nuts.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 09:27:06 PM »
You've got to wonder what would have happened to MU if they had just let Cheetham play for all the games on the trip.  I mean these are not NCAA games. Usually if you play with a player who might be ineligible in game you run the risk of having the game declared a forfeit.  But these games don't count in the first place.  Look at it another way.  If you are considering red shirting and you play in these games can you not longer do an elective red shirt?  Why not, these games don't count, they're really nothing more than practice.  If MU had an open gym scrimmage game against a bunch of post college players from the MKE area could Cheetham have played in that?

My guess is it would be analogous to Juan Anderson improperly accepting Brewers tickets ... the NCAA would have negotiated with MU to have him miss the first four games of the regular season.  (Juan had to miss games for the Brewer tickets ... too lazy to look it up but I seem to remember it was 1 or 2 games).

Better safe than sorry.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 09:48:06 PM »
Yup.    In the big picture, mouse nuts.

Death on call

warriorchick

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 19, 2015, 10:01:51 PM »
One of the upsides to us winning all of the games (and decisively, for the most part) is that we were spared the 10-page thread on whether we would have won or not if they had let Haanif play.
Have some patience, FFS.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2015, 10:36:46 AM »
You may know all of us too well.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

feedback