[Today at 09:58:46 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Viper
[Today at 09:52:10 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MU Fan in Connecticut
[Today at 09:25:35 AM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by MarquetteDano
[Today at 09:22:06 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Traci Carter  (Read 12171 times)

MUchamp22

• Scholarship Player
Traci Carter
« on: August 18, 2015, 08:51:08 AM »
I know he has been talked about on many different threads, but I was rewatching some of the games last night and I feel like he deserves his own thread. This kid has been fantastic. He is unbelievable quick and supremely confident, two values that are perfect for a PG. I know he has turned the ball over a bit, but not many of them have been bad turnovers. Most of them are from trying to force great passes and that's not such a bad thing. I'm sure we all agree this kid is going to be an upgrade at PG this season, however I wanted to hear predictions from others on what Traci's first season in Blue and Gold might look like. Averages? Leadership? Growing Pains? Anything at all really

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: Traci Carter
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 08:58:53 AM »
He is going to be the difference maker in several victories this year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 09:05:59 AM »
We're lucky we got Traci.  He's a player.  Hope nothing but the best for Noskowiak, but we came out on top in this one.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 09:09:03 AM »
He's well on his way to winning me a case of beer in a bet.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 09:09:51 AM »
He's well on his way to winning me a case of beer in a bet.

What's the bet?  With another Scooper?  I'm intrigued.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 09:12:16 AM »
Active defender- good size- good forward burst- lefty- I like the prospect of him and Duane out there- if he can hit open threes at about .35 and have a solid A/TO ratio this team will be tough to beat

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 09:15:25 AM »
I think he has the potential to be our best PG since Dom. I really liked BD's Mandy comparison.

MUchamp22

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 09:24:52 AM »
I think a reasonable expectation for Traci is around 10ppg, 5apg, and 2stls. Don't expect o ton of rebounding even though he has shown the ability the rebound for a guard. If he gets those number though, I will be very pleased

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 09:42:01 AM »
8 ppg, 3.7 apg, 1.3 spg, 2.5 tpg, .333 3p% is my guess for the moment. Will do better in non con and end of the year. Will struggle at the beginning of conference play
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 09:43:12 AM »
I am very impressed with his quickness and how hard be plays.  Can't wait for the season to begin.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 09:43:41 AM »
I think a reasonable expectation for Traci is around 10ppg, 5apg, and 2stls. Don't expect o ton of rebounding even though he has shown the ability the rebound for a guard. If he gets those number though, I will be very pleased

5 apg and 2 spg are very high numbers. But the shorter shot clock may help push some numbers up from past years
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 09:49:27 AM »
5 apg and 2 spg are very high numbers. But the shorter shot clock may help push some numbers up from past years

I had forgotten they dropped the shot clock to 30.  Great change - step in the right direction. 24 seconds would be better, but it is something.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 09:50:18 AM »
I have enjoyed watching him play.   I want to see him play against high D1 competition.    And I really regret Cheatham not playing. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 09:52:32 AM »
I think he has the potential to be our best PG since Dom. I really liked BD's Mandy comparison.

I actually think that The Engine will be a better PG then DJ.....he might not be a better scorer or slasher, etc. but within the role of a 1 I think Traci will be better from day 1.

It'll be interesting though, because with Luke, Henry, and Duane.....The Engine doesn't have to be great to look great if you know what I mean.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MUchamp22

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 09:58:57 AM »
It'll be interesting though, because with Luke, Henry, and Duane.....The Engine doesn't have to be great to look great if you know what I mean.

This is exactly right. He isn't required to be the star. Duane, Luke, and Henry will handle the scoring. Sandy will be solid defensively and can shoot the three. Realistically Traci has to have a nice A/TO ratio and be able to spread the floor. Both of which are this I think he is very capable of. A lot of his value is going to come from the defensive end too. He's gritty, tough, physical, and quick.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 11:13:05 AM »
8 ppg, 3.7 apg, 1.3 spg, 2.5 tpg, .333 3p% is my guess for the moment. Will do better in non con and end of the year. Will struggle at the beginning of conference play

This is a good guess here and honestly 8 ppg from him at point as a freshman would be pretty nice. As long as he keeps the D honest.

I think at the absolute best that would make him out 5th leading scorer. Hank, Luke, Duane and JJJ will all average more than 8.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 11:18:44 AM »
This is a good guess here and honestly 8 ppg from him at point as a freshman would be pretty nice. As long as he keeps the D honest.

I think at the absolute best that would make him out 5th leading scorer. Hank, Luke, Duane and JJJ will all average more than 8.

I agree.   However, that 8 ppg will include an occasional 15 or 20 point game if the defense leaves him lightly defended and he can convert.   Our PG last year did not have that capability.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 11:26:10 AM »
Crean to Ann Arbor

Would not be enjoying that case of beer just yet ;D

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2015, 12:00:16 PM »
I fully believe that Traci will be our best PG since James and possibly even since Travis. He has a long way to go, but here's what I've seen when comparing him to other points we've had in the past few years:
  • Derrick Wilson: DW was a fantastic defender, but didn't push the play and wasn't a threat outside. Traci does both of those things. He already appears to be a better offensive player than Derrick. Not sure he'll ever match Derrick's defense, but Traci is active and willing on defense. I definitely think he can exceed Derrick's play.
  • Junior Cadougan: Traci already appears to be a better defender and shooter than Cadougan, though Junior didn't set high bars in those regards. He isn't as refined a passer yet, but you can tell Traci sees the kind of things Junior saw on the court even if he can't always execute. I believe that will come with time. As far as turnovers, Traci certainly isn't any worse than Cadougan was at this time, and I fully expect in the long run he'll be far better at keeping the ball than Junior was. I definitely think he can exceed Junior's play.
  • Dwight Buycks: As nice a pro career as DB has had, he was out of position at the point and really only average while he was here. Traci isn't as good a shooter as Buycks, but I think he is close defensively and is a better passer. I think he'll be about equal as a freshman to what Buycks was as a senior. In time I feel he will definitely exceed Dwight as a collegiate PG.
  • Maurice Acker: Often forgotten in the annals of history, Acker was very good for his one year (better by far than any since him). Acker could distribute, shoot, run the game, and do it all while doing a great job of keeping the ball. He wasn't a standout defender, but he also wasn't a major liability. I doubt Traci will be as good as Maurice's senior year in 2015-16, but his overall contributions should exceed what Acker did here.
After those four guys, you start to get to some pretty lofty names. James, Diener, Henry, those were very, very good collegiate point guards. At their peak, they were probably top-30 in the country at their position.

This year from Traci I think TAMU is about on track. I don't think he'll have much trouble putting together our best PG season since Crean's recruits left.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2015, 12:02:00 PM »
I really liked BD's Mandy comparison.

Big Daddy nailed that one. That is the comparison I was thinking as I watched Carter's self-awareness and moxie.

Death on call

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2015, 12:43:38 PM »
I fully believe that Traci will be our best PG since James and possibly even since Travis. He has a long way to go, but here's what I've seen when comparing him to other points we've had in the past few years:
  • Derrick Wilson: DW was a fantastic defender, but didn't push the play and wasn't a threat outside. Traci does both of those things. He already appears to be a better offensive player than Derrick. Not sure he'll ever match Derrick's defense, but Traci is active and willing on defense. I definitely think he can exceed Derrick's play.
  • Junior Cadougan: Traci already appears to be a better defender and shooter than Cadougan, though Junior didn't set high bars in those regards. He isn't as refined a passer yet, but you can tell Traci sees the kind of things Junior saw on the court even if he can't always execute. I believe that will come with time. As far as turnovers, Traci certainly isn't any worse than Cadougan was at this time, and I fully expect in the long run he'll be far better at keeping the ball than Junior was. I definitely think he can exceed Junior's play.
  • Dwight Buycks: As nice a pro career as DB has had, he was out of position at the point and really only average while he was here. Traci isn't as good a shooter as Buycks, but I think he is close defensively and is a better passer. I think he'll be about equal as a freshman to what Buycks was as a senior. In time I feel he will definitely exceed Dwight as a collegiate PG.
  • Maurice Acker: Often forgotten in the annals of history, Acker was very good for his one year (better by far than any since him). Acker could distribute, shoot, run the game, and do it all while doing a great job of keeping the ball. He wasn't a standout defender, but he also wasn't a major liability. I doubt Traci will be as good as Maurice's senior year in 2015-16, but his overall contributions should exceed what Acker did here.
After those four guys, you start to get to some pretty lofty names. James, Diener, Henry, those were very, very good collegiate point guards. At their peak, they were probably top-30 in the country at their position.

This year from Traci I think TAMU is about on track. I don't think he'll have much trouble putting together our best PG season since Crean's recruits left.

You have a sick need to rip/downplay Junior's accomplishments & contributions in an effort to make Derrick not look as bad by comparison. Might want to get that checked out.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2015, 12:55:35 PM »
You have a sick need to rip/downplay Junior's accomplishments & contributions in an effort to make Derrick not look as bad by comparison. Might want to get that checked out.

Meh. Break even point guards, neither was close to the standard of the last 30 years.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2015, 01:11:14 PM »

Brew City positions himself as some sort of basketball expert but the reality is he knows nothing more than the rest of us.

A guy like Brew criticizes Junior Cadougan's skills as a ball player when he isn't fit to wash Junior's jock strap.

Death on call

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2015, 01:22:36 PM »
Meh. Break even point guards, neither was close to the standard of the last 30 years.

Do you even watch games or just look at advanced stats?  Junior had his weaknesses but he could run an offense, distribute, control tempo and make his teammates better.  His best skill was hitting the shooter in the shooting pocket, which makes for an easier conversion rate.  Rewatch some games and see how many open 3's DJO and Crowder hit where Junior hit them right in the shooting pocket.  Or how many layups Gardner, Blue or Jamil Wilson got from Junior dropping the ball off or passing over the defense in transition.  Then watch what happens when Junior goes to the bench and Derrick is in.  How does the offense compare?

Derrick arguably made his teammates worse over his last two years since he essentially didn't have to be guarded.  And Derrick's defense was vastly overrated.  We can even use your beloved advanced stats if you don't believe me.  Hey check it out, Junior had a career D rating of 101.4 compared to Derrick at 102.7.   :o :o :o

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2015, 01:25:22 PM »
I actually think Traci is almost at Derricks defensive level already. Plays passing lanes okay but he has some quick hands where he's just able to pick guys pockets.

jesmu84

• All American
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2015, 01:36:50 PM »
Oh god...

Please can we not do this Derrick thing again? I don't care who thinks what about him or him vs any other player.

I'm starting to have PTSD-like flashbacks of Ners' posts

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2015, 01:41:30 PM »
Derrick was a very, very good on ball defender.  Just ask Brad Stevens if his defense was overrated.  Stevens went out of his way in the post game press conference following MU's NCAA Tourney win over Butler to comment on how Derrick "hounded" his man all over the court.  If Derrick played with better players around him he still wouldn't have been good, but he would've been fine.

Junior was vastly underrated.  Was he as good as his top 60 ranking?  No, probably not.  But he was a really solid point guard offensively.  Not a great shooter and turned it over too much against Louisville, but other than that he was a gamer.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2015, 01:50:22 PM »
If Traci Carter is as good as Junior's senior year, MU will make a deep run. I don't understand the Junior hate, he was a baller.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2015, 01:52:33 PM »
I actually think that The Engine will be a better PG then DJ.....he might not be a better scorer or slasher, etc. but within the role of a 1 I think Traci will be better from day 1.

That's very high praise 03eng.  I'd hold off just a little.  If this year's team had Frosh Dom James at PG with Luke, Henry and Duane I'd expect it to not only make the NCAA but possibly get out of the first weekend.  Let's let Engine play against some skilled guards first.  I think we're in fine shape as he clearly has the tools and teachers at his disposal.

(Here's hoping that every day in the gym Travis is showing him how far he has to go.  Beat me first kid.)

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2015, 01:56:26 PM »
As for Traci, I'll say if he plays 25 mpg he'll avg 5-8 ppg and 3-5 apg.  But his impact will be far greater than his stats.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2015, 01:56:40 PM »
That's very high praise 03eng.  I'd hold off just a little.  If this year's team had Frosh Dom James at PG with Luke, Henry and Duane I'd expect it to not only make the NCAA but possibly get out of the first weekend.  Let's let Engine play against some skilled guards first.  I think we're in fine shape as he clearly has the tools and teachers at his disposal.

(Here's hoping that every day in the gym Travis is showing him how far he has to go.  Beat me first kid.)

I just watched the 2003 Kentucky game last night and man was Travis such a little punk. Had to be one of the most obnoxious guys on the floor that night. I'm sure you all remember this but Wade or Jackson made a great play and Deiner gets the ball and just slams it on the baseline. He is exactly the type of college player I would hate.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2015, 01:56:46 PM »
I like what I have seen of Traci.  I think he will have a nice career at MU if he stays healthy.  I think it is premature to anoint him.    I realize this is a message board, this is August, and we are all dying to talk basketball.   But let's wait to see him and the rest of the team against D1 competition. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2015, 02:06:20 PM »
I just watched the 2003 Kentucky game last night and man was Travis such a little punk. Had to be one of the most obnoxious guys on the floor that night. I'm sure you all remember this but Wade or Jackson made a great play and Deiner gets the ball and just slams it on the baseline. He is exactly the type of college player I would hate.

I'll bet you woulda thought the same thing about Wojo.  Travis was incredibly competitive and certainly a bit brash at 19.  The teenage assassin.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2015, 02:06:58 PM »

He was like Wojo...only better.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2015, 02:35:19 PM »
Brew City positions himself as some sort of basketball expert but the reality is he knows nothing more than the rest of us.

A guy like Brew criticizes Junior Cadougan's skills as a ball player when he isn't fit to wash Junior's jock strap.

I don't see the point in making things personal with a poster that brings a lot of valuable discussion to the table.  Scoop could use more like Brew, and less of another certain kind. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2015, 02:38:32 PM »
Do you even watch games or just look at advanced stats?  Junior had his weaknesses but he could run an offense, distribute, control tempo and make his teammates better.  His best skill was hitting the shooter in the shooting pocket, which makes for an easier conversion rate.  Rewatch some games and see how many open 3's DJO and Crowder hit where Junior hit them right in the shooting pocket.  Or how many layups Gardner, Blue or Jamil Wilson got from Junior dropping the ball off or passing over the defense in transition.  Then watch what happens when Junior goes to the bench and Derrick is in.  How does the offense compare?

Derrick arguably made his teammates worse over his last two years since he essentially didn't have to be guarded.  And Derrick's defense was vastly overrated.  We can even use your beloved advanced stats if you don't believe me.  Hey check it out, Junior had a career D rating of 101.4 compared to Derrick at 102.7.   :o :o :o

LOL

Junior was better offensively (though advanced stats give the edge to Derrick) and Derrick was better defensively (again, regardless of advanced stats). Junior could never stay with quick point guards. Guys like Napier, Siva, and Starks destroyed him regularly. Did the offense he provide offset the offense he allowed? Debatable. By the same token, did the defense Derrick provide offset how much easier he made it for opposing defenses? Again, debatable.

Bottom line, the last four years have been the absolute worst four years of point guard play we have had at Marquette in the past 28 years. Whether you like or hate Derrick, like or hate Junior, these past four years have been the cellar of Marquette point guard play and that includes the Piano Man era.

I fully believe Traci will be an upgrade over either of them. But again, neither Derrick nor Junior set that bar very high.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2015, 02:45:34 PM »

He was like Wojo...only better.

And that still pisses Wojo off.  But not being a dummy, Wojo has assigned himself #2 guard duty at noon and wins every day.  It's good to be boss.   8-)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2015, 03:28:19 PM »
We had quite a few opposing guards go off with Derrick on him too.

I just remember Junior for winning games. Winning plays. They guy got it done.

Wasn't our first Sweet 16 run basically thanks to Junior against WVU?

That's all I'll say on the topic. Since both are gone now. But one made winning plays.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2015, 03:29:11 PM »

Honestly, these are some of my favorite types of players. The guys that the fans of the team absolutely love and the opposition absolutely hates. Travis definitely fit that mold. Guys like Wojo, Noah, Laettner, and Rodman also fit that mold. Nothing wrong in my mind with a little swagger.

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2015, 03:51:30 PM »

This is one of the best things about the Italy trip to me (besides getting to watch these games) - finally watching Youtube on my big screen only to see that so many games like that one ^ are available to watch again - I did not know that, never checked Youtube for archived complete games.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2015, 04:02:10 PM »
We had quite a few opposing guards go off with Derrick on him too.

Wasn't our first Sweet 16 run basically thanks to Junior against WVU?

That's all I'll say on the topic. Since both are gone now. But one made winning plays.

We didn't play WVU in the NCAA Tournament.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2015, 04:07:46 PM »
He had a big game against WVU in the BET his sophomore year.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2015, 04:09:48 PM »
We didn't play WVU in the NCAA Tournament.

But we played WVU in the BET quarters and we're squarely on the bubble before that win, which I'm guessing he was referencing.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2015, 04:15:17 PM »
But we played WVU in the BET quarters and we're squarely on the bubble before that win, which I'm guessing he was referencing.

Correct. Many thought we only needed that providence win.

But considering we got a 11 even with beating WVU.

I think that game was do or die. And Junior did.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2015, 04:34:20 PM »
I agree with this analysis. Only thing I would add, is we haven't seen Haanif play and they may split time so the numbers may be split as well.

Needs to demonstrate it against better competition , but the skills are there.

After the pain of the last two years at PG . this is a much welcome ray of sunshine.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2015, 04:50:19 PM »
Correct. Many thought we only needed that providence win.

But considering we got a 11 even with beating WVU.

I think that game was do or die. And Junior did.

Those were some of the most intense transition layup finishes I've ever witnessed. Excellent performance.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2015, 08:29:26 PM »
Traci is much better than I waqs expecting. However, until we actually play a really good team the jury is still out.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2015, 08:51:29 PM »

Exactly.  UConn, Wisconsin, Murray St, West Virginia just to name a few.  Not saying Junior was elite but he was a serviceable starting PG.  Derrick Wilson, uh, no.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 18, 2015, 09:01:46 PM »
Traci is much better than I waqs expecting. However, until we actually play a really good team the jury is still out.

I agree but just watching his free throws not clank made me smile.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 18, 2015, 09:59:31 PM »
https://youtu.be/nOaLTQcocute one?t=1401

The moment The Engine was born.

edit: dammit.  replace "cute one" in above URL with the South Park word for annoying inconsiderate Harley rider.

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #50 on: August 18, 2015, 10:01:44 PM »

edit: dammit.  replace "cute one" in above URL with the South Park word for annoying inconsiderate Harley rider.

???   couldn't fix it.

« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 10:12:45 PM by Stone Cold »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #51 on: August 18, 2015, 10:14:11 PM »

You have Traci Carter's child birth on cam? Gross. I'll pass.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #52 on: August 18, 2015, 10:27:09 PM »

While I love what frosh DJ did, I don't think his style would have messed with this team and that team needed him to score, this years team doesn't.  DJ was the second leading scorer that season with Novak leading the way and Jerel being the only other double digit scorer.  Look at what happened to DJ as his career progressed and other players developed, he couldn't become a facilitator.

Without counting Engine we have at least 3, maybe 4 double digit scorers on this team (Duane, Luke, Henry.....JjJ?).  Traci will be a facilitator from the start and as such will be a pure point guard.  Same reason we need Duane to play off guard so he can score.

I'm not trying to say that The Engine is already better, but I am projecting that as a pure PG Traci will be better than DJ....time will tell.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #53 on: August 19, 2015, 07:28:09 AM »
While I love what frosh DJ did, I don't think his style would have messed with this team and that team needed him to score, this years team doesn't.  DJ was the second leading scorer that season with Novak leading the way and Jerel being the only other double digit scorer.  Look at what happened to DJ as his career progressed and other players developed, he couldn't become a facilitator.

Without counting Engine we have at least 3, maybe 4 double digit scorers on this team (Duane, Luke, Henry.....JjJ?).  Traci will be a facilitator from the start and as such will be a pure point guard.  Same reason we need Duane to play off guard so he can score.

I'm not trying to say that The Engine is already better, but I am projecting that as a pure PG Traci will be better than DJ....time will tell.

Gotcha.  I agree with all that.  Dom never did become a dominant facilitator.  Here's hoping that Engine gives us 9-10 points and 4-5 assists a game this year with a 1.5 a/t ratio.  We'll win a lot of ballgames if he can.

kmwtrucks

• All American
« Reply #54 on: August 19, 2015, 08:51:10 AM »
one thing people forget was DJ was a Lock down defender at the PG spot (one of the best I have ever seen), which can really disrupt the other teams OFF. He had the strength to hold you in place when contact was made the lateral quickness where almost no one could get by him.   If you look at his career he was a better passer and setting up the OFF later in his career and a better scorer early.   

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #55 on: August 19, 2015, 08:56:49 AM »
one thing people forget was DJ was a Lock down defender at the PG spot (one of the best I have ever seen), which can really disrupt the other teams OFF. He had the strength to hold you in place when contact was made the lateral quickness where almost no one could get by him.   If you look at his career he was a better passer and setting up the OFF later in his career and a better scorer early.

Agreed.  DJ's senior year he changed his game to that of a true point guard, and played the role very well.  Crean wanted to run our offense through DJ and Jerel.  Buzz changed that to Jerel and Wes and had DJ playing the role of a true point guard.  Before DJ got injured against UConn, we were a legitimate Final Four threat.  We were 23-4, 12-2 in the BE, and ranked 8th in the country when he went down.  We went 2-6 to close out the season after that.

His senior year he averaged 11 points, 5 assists, 3 rebounds, 2 steals, and 2 turnovers per game.  He transformed his game into that of a true point guard while Wesley became the star that we all thought he would be when he was let lose.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #56 on: August 19, 2015, 09:17:45 AM »
Agreed.  DJ's senior year he changed his game to that of a true point guard, and played the role very well.  Crean wanted to run our offense through DJ and Jerel.  Buzz changed that to Jerel and Wes and had DJ playing the role of a true point guard.  Before DJ got injured against UConn, we were a legitimate Final Four threat.  We were 23-4, 12-2 in the BE, and ranked 8th in the country when he went down.  We went 2-6 to close out the season after that.

His senior year he averaged 11 points, 5 assists, 3 rebounds, 2 steals, and 2 turnovers per game.  He transformed his game into that of a true point guard while Wesley became the star that we all thought he would be when he was let lose.

DJ was a really good player. As good a defender at PG as I can remember. But he couldn't shoot. In TC's offense the point guard shoots. So DJ shot it (poorly) and Wesley Matthews (who could really shoot it) watched DJ shoot. Buzz may not have been a genius, but he figured out we could be better if the bad shooter passed it to the good shooter instead of the other way around. That's how he turned the three year old Chevy Impala he inherited into a Lambergini.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #57 on: August 19, 2015, 09:19:10 AM »
I think the assists per game is too low. He is surrounded by players that can score and there is a shorter shot clock. Most freshmen do not average over 6 points a game. Not having seen Cheatham play, I do not think we should award him the starting job yet. The point guard that is the least turnover prone has a good chance of starting.

brewcity77

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #58 on: August 20, 2015, 12:24:03 PM »
I think the assists per game is too low. He is surrounded by players that can score and there is a shorter shot clock. Most freshmen do not average over 6 points a game. Not having seen Cheatham play, I do not think we should award him the starting job yet. The point guard that is the least turnover prone has a good chance of starting.

It'll depend a lot on minutes. In the past decade, we've only had 3 different guys average more than 3.7 apg (though on 8 occasions) and all of them played at least 28.1 minutes per game (Junior averaged 3.8 in 28.1 mpg in 2012-13). The reason I think TAMU's assessment is reasonable is because I see Traci playing 20-24 mpg. Seems like both Cheatham and Duane will get some time there as well. If the kid plays 30 mpg, then getting into that 4-5 range is realistic, but if the PG is more evenly split, I don't think anyone will get a ton of individual assists (though they may have a high assist rate).