[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

2024-25 Outlook by WellsstreetWanderer
[April 25, 2024, 10:03:37 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Traci Carter  (Read 12305 times)

MUchamp22

• Scholarship Player
Traci Carter
« on: August 18, 2015, 08:51:08 AM »
I know he has been talked about on many different threads, but I was rewatching some of the games last night and I feel like he deserves his own thread. This kid has been fantastic. He is unbelievable quick and supremely confident, two values that are perfect for a PG. I know he has turned the ball over a bit, but not many of them have been bad turnovers. Most of them are from trying to force great passes and that's not such a bad thing. I'm sure we all agree this kid is going to be an upgrade at PG this season, however I wanted to hear predictions from others on what Traci's first season in Blue and Gold might look like. Averages? Leadership? Growing Pains? Anything at all really

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
Re: Traci Carter
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2015, 08:58:53 AM »
He is going to be the difference maker in several victories this year.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2015, 09:05:59 AM »
We're lucky we got Traci.  He's a player.  Hope nothing but the best for Noskowiak, but we came out on top in this one.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2015, 09:09:03 AM »
He's well on his way to winning me a case of beer in a bet.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 09:09:51 AM »
He's well on his way to winning me a case of beer in a bet.

What's the bet?  With another Scooper?  I'm intrigued.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

CAGASS24

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 09:12:16 AM »
Active defender- good size- good forward burst- lefty- I like the prospect of him and Duane out there- if he can hit open threes at about .35 and have a solid A/TO ratio this team will be tough to beat

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 09:15:25 AM »
I think he has the potential to be our best PG since Dom. I really liked BD's Mandy comparison.

MUchamp22

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 09:24:52 AM »
I think a reasonable expectation for Traci is around 10ppg, 5apg, and 2stls. Don't expect o ton of rebounding even though he has shown the ability the rebound for a guard. If he gets those number though, I will be very pleased

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 09:42:01 AM »
8 ppg, 3.7 apg, 1.3 spg, 2.5 tpg, .333 3p% is my guess for the moment. Will do better in non con and end of the year. Will struggle at the beginning of conference play
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 18, 2015, 09:43:12 AM »
I am very impressed with his quickness and how hard be plays.  Can't wait for the season to begin.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #10 on: August 18, 2015, 09:43:41 AM »
I think a reasonable expectation for Traci is around 10ppg, 5apg, and 2stls. Don't expect o ton of rebounding even though he has shown the ability the rebound for a guard. If he gets those number though, I will be very pleased

5 apg and 2 spg are very high numbers. But the shorter shot clock may help push some numbers up from past years
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #11 on: August 18, 2015, 09:49:27 AM »
5 apg and 2 spg are very high numbers. But the shorter shot clock may help push some numbers up from past years

I had forgotten they dropped the shot clock to 30.  Great change - step in the right direction. 24 seconds would be better, but it is something.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2015, 09:50:18 AM »
I have enjoyed watching him play.   I want to see him play against high D1 competition.    And I really regret Cheatham not playing. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2015, 09:52:32 AM »
I think he has the potential to be our best PG since Dom. I really liked BD's Mandy comparison.

I actually think that The Engine will be a better PG then DJ.....he might not be a better scorer or slasher, etc. but within the role of a 1 I think Traci will be better from day 1.

It'll be interesting though, because with Luke, Henry, and Duane.....The Engine doesn't have to be great to look great if you know what I mean.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

MUchamp22

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2015, 09:58:57 AM »
It'll be interesting though, because with Luke, Henry, and Duane.....The Engine doesn't have to be great to look great if you know what I mean.

This is exactly right. He isn't required to be the star. Duane, Luke, and Henry will handle the scoring. Sandy will be solid defensively and can shoot the three. Realistically Traci has to have a nice A/TO ratio and be able to spread the floor. Both of which are this I think he is very capable of. A lot of his value is going to come from the defensive end too. He's gritty, tough, physical, and quick.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2015, 11:13:05 AM »
8 ppg, 3.7 apg, 1.3 spg, 2.5 tpg, .333 3p% is my guess for the moment. Will do better in non con and end of the year. Will struggle at the beginning of conference play

This is a good guess here and honestly 8 ppg from him at point as a freshman would be pretty nice. As long as he keeps the D honest.

I think at the absolute best that would make him out 5th leading scorer. Hank, Luke, Duane and JJJ will all average more than 8.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Badgerhater

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2015, 11:18:44 AM »
This is a good guess here and honestly 8 ppg from him at point as a freshman would be pretty nice. As long as he keeps the D honest.

I think at the absolute best that would make him out 5th leading scorer. Hank, Luke, Duane and JJJ will all average more than 8.

I agree.   However, that 8 ppg will include an occasional 15 or 20 point game if the defense leaves him lightly defended and he can convert.   Our PG last year did not have that capability.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2015, 11:26:10 AM »
Crean to Ann Arbor

Would not be enjoying that case of beer just yet ;D

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2015, 12:00:16 PM »
I fully believe that Traci will be our best PG since James and possibly even since Travis. He has a long way to go, but here's what I've seen when comparing him to other points we've had in the past few years:
  • Derrick Wilson: DW was a fantastic defender, but didn't push the play and wasn't a threat outside. Traci does both of those things. He already appears to be a better offensive player than Derrick. Not sure he'll ever match Derrick's defense, but Traci is active and willing on defense. I definitely think he can exceed Derrick's play.
  • Junior Cadougan: Traci already appears to be a better defender and shooter than Cadougan, though Junior didn't set high bars in those regards. He isn't as refined a passer yet, but you can tell Traci sees the kind of things Junior saw on the court even if he can't always execute. I believe that will come with time. As far as turnovers, Traci certainly isn't any worse than Cadougan was at this time, and I fully expect in the long run he'll be far better at keeping the ball than Junior was. I definitely think he can exceed Junior's play.
  • Dwight Buycks: As nice a pro career as DB has had, he was out of position at the point and really only average while he was here. Traci isn't as good a shooter as Buycks, but I think he is close defensively and is a better passer. I think he'll be about equal as a freshman to what Buycks was as a senior. In time I feel he will definitely exceed Dwight as a collegiate PG.
  • Maurice Acker: Often forgotten in the annals of history, Acker was very good for his one year (better by far than any since him). Acker could distribute, shoot, run the game, and do it all while doing a great job of keeping the ball. He wasn't a standout defender, but he also wasn't a major liability. I doubt Traci will be as good as Maurice's senior year in 2015-16, but his overall contributions should exceed what Acker did here.
After those four guys, you start to get to some pretty lofty names. James, Diener, Henry, those were very, very good collegiate point guards. At their peak, they were probably top-30 in the country at their position.

This year from Traci I think TAMU is about on track. I don't think he'll have much trouble putting together our best PG season since Crean's recruits left.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2015, 12:02:00 PM »
I really liked BD's Mandy comparison.

Big Daddy nailed that one. That is the comparison I was thinking as I watched Carter's self-awareness and moxie.

Death on call

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2015, 12:43:38 PM »
I fully believe that Traci will be our best PG since James and possibly even since Travis. He has a long way to go, but here's what I've seen when comparing him to other points we've had in the past few years:
  • Derrick Wilson: DW was a fantastic defender, but didn't push the play and wasn't a threat outside. Traci does both of those things. He already appears to be a better offensive player than Derrick. Not sure he'll ever match Derrick's defense, but Traci is active and willing on defense. I definitely think he can exceed Derrick's play.
  • Junior Cadougan: Traci already appears to be a better defender and shooter than Cadougan, though Junior didn't set high bars in those regards. He isn't as refined a passer yet, but you can tell Traci sees the kind of things Junior saw on the court even if he can't always execute. I believe that will come with time. As far as turnovers, Traci certainly isn't any worse than Cadougan was at this time, and I fully expect in the long run he'll be far better at keeping the ball than Junior was. I definitely think he can exceed Junior's play.
  • Dwight Buycks: As nice a pro career as DB has had, he was out of position at the point and really only average while he was here. Traci isn't as good a shooter as Buycks, but I think he is close defensively and is a better passer. I think he'll be about equal as a freshman to what Buycks was as a senior. In time I feel he will definitely exceed Dwight as a collegiate PG.
  • Maurice Acker: Often forgotten in the annals of history, Acker was very good for his one year (better by far than any since him). Acker could distribute, shoot, run the game, and do it all while doing a great job of keeping the ball. He wasn't a standout defender, but he also wasn't a major liability. I doubt Traci will be as good as Maurice's senior year in 2015-16, but his overall contributions should exceed what Acker did here.
After those four guys, you start to get to some pretty lofty names. James, Diener, Henry, those were very, very good collegiate point guards. At their peak, they were probably top-30 in the country at their position.

This year from Traci I think TAMU is about on track. I don't think he'll have much trouble putting together our best PG season since Crean's recruits left.

You have a sick need to rip/downplay Junior's accomplishments & contributions in an effort to make Derrick not look as bad by comparison. Might want to get that checked out.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2015, 12:55:35 PM »
You have a sick need to rip/downplay Junior's accomplishments & contributions in an effort to make Derrick not look as bad by comparison. Might want to get that checked out.

Meh. Break even point guards, neither was close to the standard of the last 30 years.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2015, 01:11:14 PM »

Brew City positions himself as some sort of basketball expert but the reality is he knows nothing more than the rest of us.

A guy like Brew criticizes Junior Cadougan's skills as a ball player when he isn't fit to wash Junior's jock strap.

Death on call

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2015, 01:22:36 PM »
Meh. Break even point guards, neither was close to the standard of the last 30 years.

Do you even watch games or just look at advanced stats?  Junior had his weaknesses but he could run an offense, distribute, control tempo and make his teammates better.  His best skill was hitting the shooter in the shooting pocket, which makes for an easier conversion rate.  Rewatch some games and see how many open 3's DJO and Crowder hit where Junior hit them right in the shooting pocket.  Or how many layups Gardner, Blue or Jamil Wilson got from Junior dropping the ball off or passing over the defense in transition.  Then watch what happens when Junior goes to the bench and Derrick is in.  How does the offense compare?

Derrick arguably made his teammates worse over his last two years since he essentially didn't have to be guarded.  And Derrick's defense was vastly overrated.  We can even use your beloved advanced stats if you don't believe me.  Hey check it out, Junior had a career D rating of 101.4 compared to Derrick at 102.7.   :o :o :o

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2015, 01:25:22 PM »
I actually think Traci is almost at Derricks defensive level already. Plays passing lanes okay but he has some quick hands where he's just able to pick guys pockets.

feedback