[Today at 02:32:03 PM]

Marquette Football Update by TallTitan34
[Today at 09:41:46 AM]

NM by Uncle Rico
[Today at 08:59:21 AM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by DFW HOYA
[Today at 08:41:22 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Thoughts from Italy  (Read 25319 times)

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
Re: Thoughts from Italy
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2015, 09:55:51 AM »
Good stuff, Big Daddy. Only thing I question is D Wilson not playing PG.

Depends on your point of view....from a Marquette perspective, he absolutely should be a 2 and not a 1.  From Duane's perspective and an NBA future, he should probably be playing the 1.
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

Goose

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2015, 10:07:46 AM »
I believe DWilson to score from PG is essential in today's game. My money is still on him playing PG much of the year.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2015, 12:11:57 PM »
I believe DWilson to score from PG is essential in today's game. My money is still on him playing PG much of the year.

I don't know...I think Duane will get some time at the point, but I doubt much. Traci seems locked in to start and likely play 20+ mpg. I have to imagine Cheatham will get 15-20 mpg as well once he is eligible. Will Duane get some PG time? Sure, but how much, maybe 5-10 mpg at most?

I get wanting a scoring PG, but Traci has shown he can score a bit. Right now he looks more advanced scoring the ball than anyone we've had at the point since Dwight Buycks. The thing is, we don't have a lot of guys that can fill it up like Duane can. I'd rather have him working for position and shots in a hybrid of how he and Carlino played last year. I acknowledge what mu03eng said about Duane's career being better off if he can play the point, but for this team, we're better off with him at the 2.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2015, 12:18:11 PM »
I see what you did there...Big a Daddy, that's Italian for Big Daddy.

This has got to be Mike Deane's Glasses...

Death on call

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2015, 01:31:27 PM »
How is Michael Mache meshing with all the new teammates?  We could really use his senior leadership. 

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2015, 01:34:30 PM »
How is Michael Mache meshing with all the new teammates?  We could really use his senior leadership.

Huh? Hes a walk on that joined in the middle of last year when Dawson and Burton transferred. In regards to leadership, this is Duanes team. This is already his 3rd year in the program. Kid is a stud and seems like much more of a leader already than Derrick, Juan and Jamil were.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2015, 01:37:06 PM »
In regards to leadership, this is Duanes team.

fact

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2015, 01:46:19 PM »
Huh? Hes a walk on that joined in the middle of last year when Dawson and Burton transferred. In regards to leadership, this is Duanes team. This is already his 3rd year in the program. Kid is a stud and seems like much more of a leader already than Derrick, Juan and Jamil were.

TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 18, 2015, 01:47:24 PM »

Yea, knew it as soon as I hit post but on this site you never know anymore.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 18, 2015, 02:01:21 PM »
Depends on your point of view....from a Marquette perspective, he absolutely should be a 2 and not a 1.  From Duane's perspective and an NBA future, he should probably be playing the 1.

Duane starts at #2 for the next 3 years at MU.  His conversion to #1 will begin in the NBADL tracking the DJO route.  Wojo's back court is set for 3 years, barring injury. 

Hmmm. I wonder if Coffey is watching YouTube?  Coincidence about the new Gopher predictions? Just thinking out loud.  That said, most top players think they can beat other kids out for the spot.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 18, 2015, 02:12:04 PM »

Hmmm. I wonder if Coffey is watching YouTube?  Coincidence about the new Gopher predictions? Just thinking out loud.  That said, most top players think they can beat other kids out for the spot.
You make a good point. That's the thing that is maybe a it concerning, unless you're a 5*, you've got to be maybe seeing that MU is set in 3 of the 5 sports for maybe the next 3 years.
I get that big schools constantly get big recruits, but for a 4* who is looking to start a D1 level, seeing this freshman group has got to lead to some "I would maybe get minutes off the bench" type thinking.
Not a bad problem to have though as I think the engine and the other fresh look pretty solid so far!

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 18, 2015, 04:48:35 PM »
Duane starts at #2 for the next 3 years at MU.  His conversion to #1 will begin in the NBADL tracking the DJO route.  Wojo's back court is set for 3 years, barring injury. 

Marquette has played three glorified scrimmages in nearly the most casual atmosphere and the net result is a backcourt found for the next 85-100 games in addition to one of our top recruiting targets now suddenly looking elsewhere because of these events in Italy.

The circle jerk regarding this foreign tour the last week has been popcorn popping hysterical.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 18, 2015, 04:51:21 PM »
Marquette has played three glorified scrimmages in nearly the most casual atmosphere and the net result is a backcourt found for the next 85-100 games in addition to one of our top recruiting targets now suddenly looking elsewhere because of these events in Italy.

The circle jerk regarding this foreign tour the last week has been popcorn popping hysterical.

Say what you want, but I've been saying it for a long time now.  We're back, baby.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #38 on: August 18, 2015, 05:17:33 PM »

Even though this goes against everything that happened last year, everything that Wojo's said since the end of last season, and what was happening in the practices leading up to the European trip?
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

fjm

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 18, 2015, 06:06:10 PM »

Whatever dude... I already set aside money for this years Final Four tickets!

hdog1017

• Team Captain
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2015, 06:35:39 PM »

Then what is his point on the team then? 

tower912

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 18, 2015, 07:08:55 PM »

Yes.....and no.       MU is playing competition a notch slightly above what they would have seen at IWB's tourney.   Agreed.     Unless somebody gets hurt, these mean nothing.    But it is summer and it is a MU message board, so it might as well be discussed.     But there are things of note.   MU hasn't gone over and sucked.   THAT would have been a catastrophe.    10 summer practices and travel and games and the team is showing enough that MU nation can choose to be optimistic.     It means nothing.    But it could have been a helluva lot worse. 
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #42 on: August 18, 2015, 07:45:21 PM »
Then what is his point on the team then?
I'm totally torn right now.  Either Rainier Wolfcastle is a liar and you were not joking in your original post, you can't find teal in the color selection, or you are an idiot. 

Help me see the light because i don't think i can live in a world where Rainier lies.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #43 on: August 18, 2015, 08:19:33 PM »
MU is playing competition a notch slightly above what they would have seen at IWB's tourney.   

I have to disagree with this. The Pro Am is playground ball. Nothing more.

Marquette is playing pro teams in Europe. Their next opponent signed at least three former Marquette guys over the recent past. To compare organized professional European teams with the frenetic mayhem of the Pro Am is grossly understating the skill and talent we have faced on this tour. (Vicenza Select is the outlier as it was formed just for the summer American college circuit.)

I am hoping Wojo pulls a Duke, which banned its players from playing in the NC Pro Am. Wojo runs a very structured program. Players learn nothing in an open gym while running the risk of injury. There is only downside with the Pro Am.

Death on call

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #44 on: August 18, 2015, 08:55:01 PM »
There are actually better players at the ProAm, it is just unstructured. Comparing the value of ProAm to trip to Italy is apples and oranges. Value of ProAm is that it is better than open gym--especially for bigs. For example, Alec Brown played a few years back. There was no one in Green Bay that could provide him any competition. ProAm had guys more near his size, like Mitchell Carter and Drew Windler. It would be good for Carter, Rousey and Duane Wilson to play against Jerry Smith rather than each other. There is value to ProAm, just not as much as the trip to Italy. They would otherwise be playing street ball at The Al.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 18, 2015, 09:03:40 PM »
There are actually better players at the ProAm, it is just unstructured. Comparing the value of ProAm to trip to Italy is apples and oranges. Value of ProAm is that it is better than open gym--especially for bigs. For example, Alec Brown played a few years back. There was no one in Green Bay that could provide him any competition. ProAm had guys more near his size, like Mitchell Carter and Drew Windler. It would be good for Carter, Rousey and Duane Wilson to play against Jerry Smith rather than each other. There is value to ProAm, just not as much as the trip to Italy. They would otherwise be playing street ball at The Al.

You clearly have not been to the Pro Am.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Gato78

• Team Captain
« Reply #46 on: August 18, 2015, 09:21:53 PM »
I have been there. I have seen Rob Jeter and Buzz Williams there too. I have talked to Brian Wardle about it. It is foolish to think there is no value to ProAm in a period when coaches cannot conduct practices. At least three state D1 coaches think it is a good idea.

You clearly have not been to the Pro Am.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 18, 2015, 10:19:53 PM »
I have been there. I have seen Rob Jeter and Buzz Williams there too. I have talked to Brian Wardle about it. It is foolish to think there is no value to ProAm in a period when coaches cannot conduct practices. At least three state D1 coaches think it is a good idea.

Based on your description I would've guessed you were never close to it. If you think they're playing more competitive games at the Pro Am, where teams routinely scored 120+ points with a running clock, than they would playing pickup at the Al then I think you are mistaken. Put these guys in an uncontrolled gym with a crowd and they all understand it's all about making a highlight real. Put them in a 1 court gym with no crowd, winner holds the court, and you get only Marquette players and basketball alum, and I guarantee you the pickup at the Al is 100x more competitive and useful than the Milwaukee Pro Am was. Pride at the pro am equals a sweet dunk that your opponent let you get. Pride at the Al equals not getting beat by equal Or better competition.

Not to mention, at the Pro Am you have 1 Alec Brown and 4 Rob Frozenas (no offense to him, just making s point). At the Al you have the MU team with guys like DJO, Junior, Buycks, Jerel, Acker, Novak, Jae, Butler, Rob Jackson, etc.

It's not even close which is better, despite neither being ideal.
« Last Edit: August 18, 2015, 10:22:32 PM by wadesworld »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 19, 2015, 06:02:27 AM »
To me, the main value of a trip like this one to Italy is the team-building.

The basketball is almost a bonus.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 19, 2015, 06:27:57 AM »
Based on your description I would've guessed you were never close to it. If you think they're playing more competitive games at the Pro Am, where teams routinely scored 120+ points with a running clock, than they would playing pickup at the Al then I think you are mistaken. Put these guys in an uncontrolled gym with a crowd and they all understand it's all about making a highlight real. Put them in a 1 court gym with no crowd, winner holds the court, and you get only Marquette players and basketball alum, and I guarantee you the pickup at the Al is 100x more competitive and useful than the Milwaukee Pro Am was. Pride at the pro am equals a sweet dunk that your opponent let you get. Pride at the Al equals not getting beat by equal Or better competition.

Not to mention, at the Pro Am you have 1 Alec Brown and 4 Rob Frozenas (no offense to him, just making s point). At the Al you have the MU team with guys like DJO, Junior, Buycks, Jerel, Acker, Novak, Jae, Butler, Rob Jackson, etc.

It's not even close which is better, despite neither being ideal.

Do you realize who you're replyin' to, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"