[Today at 11:06:58 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by cheebs09
[Today at 10:52:12 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by WhiteTrash
[Today at 10:42:19 AM]

NIL Future by Hards Alumni
[Today at 10:38:26 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Thoughts from Italy  (Read 25306 times)

Big Daddy 84

• Team Captain
Thoughts from Italy
« on: August 17, 2015, 12:18:21 PM »
Here are my thoughts from watching the 3 days in Italy. Unfortunately I will not be at the game in Switzerland.  My standard  caveat comes with these comments, that is the reminder that I thought JFB was a wasted scholarship when I saw him first play:

1)   Duane Wilson is ready for a breakout season and more importantly has already stepped up as the vocal leader of the team.  Despite him playing point on this trip the plan is to use him exclusive as a wing.
2)   JJJ has really responded to coaching and has made a significant change in his shot. His turnovers are still an issue, but he has bought in to concept of use his athletic ability to become a much better defender.  Also he is much more committed to attacking the hoop.
3)   Sandy Cohen- biggest improvement in body over the off season. He is the designated 3-pt shooter and has the green light. His confidence has grown on this trip.
4)   Luke Fischer-  It is clear his shoulder is 100% and he will have a great year.
5)   Traci Carter-  Love this kid, tough and determined.  Best comparison I can come up with is Mandy Johnson.  His turnovers are way to high right now, but fortunately for him he has a few coaches to help him that know what they are doing.  He has some of the quickest hands and feet I have seen. 
6)   Wally Ellenson- Uber jumper, we all know that.  Shot looks good, but not a lot of success.  He will be a good role player and will make 1-2 highlight plays each game.  His favorite play, including in practice, is trailing  the ball on a fast break and blocking form behind. A much better off the ball defender that on the ball defender. 
7)   Malt Heldt:  He is a great kid, and needs to let Todd Smith to work on him for a year. You can tell that he still has not grown accustomed to his body yet.  Will be a 4 year player and has the ability to get better with proper training and coaching. A redshirt this year for him would have been nice if they had the option. He may not be a great athlete but he has skills. 4-6 min a game this year. But by Jr-Sr years he could be a very reliable player. 
8)   Sacar Amin-  He may be the best athlete on the team. You can tell that he did not have a distinctive role in HS, he is good at a lot of things, but not great (yet) on any one thing, but I still think he is the sleeper on this team.  High BB IQ and he will do anything he is asked, he will be a valuable sub this year, but once his roll is established and he can work on that I expect a big jump between year 1 and year 2.   I know he is smaller the OD, but best comparison I came up with was Odarety Blankson.
9)   Haanif Cheatam: A real bummer that he cannot play, but there are no concerns that he will not be cleared.  NCAA is still working on Football and other fall sports.  Nice kid.

Well I think that is everyone that has made any significant contribution it was great to see MM son get in the last game.  I am sure he was smiling.   Couple other quick updates:

1)   Stan Johnson a great add, not just for recruiting, but a good coach too.
2)   Recruiting.  Still feel good about second schollie for next year. Have their priority and continue to work it.
3)   Bailley will be a Warrior-my prediction, no commitment yet, but I know we are in his final cut.

I feel like I missed someone…well can’t be anything to big?

Oldgym

• All American
  • It was their final, most essential command
Re: Thoughts from Italy
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 12:24:17 PM »
Great synopsis. Thanks as always for the lowdown BD.

Yeah...who's missing from this summary though...?

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 12:26:02 PM »
I think you missed one of the freshman newcomers. We have so many though, I can see how he got lost in the shuffle.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 12:26:15 PM »
Here are my thoughts from watching the 3 days in Italy. Unfortunately I will not be at the game in Switzerland.  My standard  caveat comes with these comments, that is the reminder that I thought JFB was a wasted scholarship when I saw him first play:

1)   Duane Wilson is ready for a breakout season and more importantly has already stepped up as the vocal leader of the team.  Despite him playing point on this trip the plan is to use him exclusive as a wing.
2)   JJJ has really responded to coaching and has made a significant change in his shot. His turnovers are still an issue, but he has bought in to concept of use his athletic ability to become a much better defender.  Also he is much more committed to attacking the hoop.
3)   Sandy Cohen- biggest improvement in body over the off season. He is the designated 3-pt shooter and has the green light. His confidence has grown on this trip.
4)   Luke Fischer-  It is clear his shoulder is 100% and he will have a great year.
5)   Traci Carter-  Love this kid, tough and determined.  Best comparison I can come up with is Mandy Johnson.  His turnovers are way to high right now, but fortunately for him he has a few coaches to help him that know what they are doing.  He has some of the quickest hands and feet I have seen. 
6)   Wally Ellenson- Uber jumper, we all know that.  Shot looks good, but not a lot of success.  He will be a good role player and will make 1-2 highlight plays each game.  His favorite play, including in practice, is trailing  the ball on a fast break and blocking form behind. A much better off the ball defender that on the ball defender. 
7)   Malt Heldt:  He is a great kid, and needs to let Todd Smith to work on him for a year. You can tell that he still has not grown accustomed to his body yet.  Will be a 4 year player and has the ability to get better with proper training and coaching. A redshirt this year for him would have been nice if they had the option. He may not be a great athlete but he has skills. 4-6 min a game this year. But by Jr-Sr years he could be a very reliable player. 
8)   Sacar Amin-  He may be the best athlete on the team. You can tell that he did not have a distinctive role in HS, he is good at a lot of things, but not great (yet) on any one thing, but I still think he is the sleeper on this team.  High BB IQ and he will do anything he is asked, he will be a valuable sub this year, but once his roll is established and he can work on that I expect a big jump between year 1 and year 2.   I know he is smaller the OD, but best comparison I came up with was Odarety Blankson.
9)   Haanif Cheatam: A real bummer that he cannot play, but there are no concerns that he will not be cleared.  NCAA is still working on Football and other fall sports.  Nice kid.

Well I think that is everyone that has made any significant contribution it was great to see MM son get in the last game.  I am sure he was smiling.   Couple other quick updates:

1)   Stan Johnson a great add, not just for recruiting, but a good coach too.
2)   Recruiting.  Still feel good about second schollie for next year. Have their priority and continue to work it.
3)   Bailley will be a Warrior-my prediction, no commitment yet, but I know we are in his final cut.

I feel like I missed someone…well can’t be anything to big?

Does the second scholly priority involve a morning drink that isn't tea?

Great to hear about Bailey as well. Seems like the perfect combo of high character kid with great ability.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 12:28:37 PM »
Much appreciated BD!  Two questions: Is Wojo a closer?  Will he get his Coffey?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 12:59:04 PM »
Big Daddy

You know I appreciate your insights but I speak for every Scooper in saying your scouting report is incomplete and therefore wanting. The glaring omission is your assessment of Thomas. Tell us something about the 'Man behind the mike' and your prediction of his role with Marquette basketball going forward.

I will hang up and listen to your answer.

Death on call

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2015, 01:06:43 PM »
Big Daddy

You know I appreciate your insights but I speak for every Scooper in saying your scouting report is incomplete and therefore wanting. The glaring omission is your assessment of Thomas. Tell us something about the 'Man behind the mike' and your prediction of his role with Marquette basketball going forward.

Awesome.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 01:08:23 PM »
Careful on that Bailey prediction Heisenberg still hasn't gotten over the Lee/Miller one.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Big Daddy 84

• Team Captain
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 01:56:17 PM »
Big Daddy

The man is funny and can put them down with the best of us.  But I think Homer is safe for now.  MB admits he is not quitting his day job. 

Question back..have the streams been watched by many? 

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 02:00:51 PM »
The man is funny and can put them down with the best of us.  But I think Homer is safe for now.  MB admits he is not quitting his day job. 

The live feed said around 1,200 were watching on Saturday.  I watched the archive last night, so I didn't say the viewership. 
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

MUchamp22

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 02:02:08 PM »

For the first game against Haukar, I believe they said 2,000 watched live and 8,000 watched the archived version and that was just one day after the game. I imagine the other games had similar numbers?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 02:09:37 PM »

Not sure what the FS GO audience may have been, but YouTube views (live + archived) show as:

Haukar 12,581
LSU-Atletas 6,462
Vicenza 3,928

Surprisingly good production given the format.  Only a few fairly minor hiccups, biggest being an interruption of the LSU stream due to weather.  Scoop opinion has been very positive of MU Athletics and Basketball Travelers for providing it to us, but Thomas has been the biggest highlight; hoping to get him to Milwaukee for a game or two next year.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 02:34:09 PM »
Not sure what the FS GO audience may have been, but YouTube views (live + archived) show as:

Haukar 12,581
LSU-Atletas 6,462
Vicenza 3,928

Surprisingly good production given the format.  Only a few fairly minor hiccups, biggest being an interruption of the LSU stream due to weather.  Scoop opinion has been very positive of MU Athletics and Basketball Travelers for providing it to us, but Thomas has been the biggest highlight; hoping to get him to Milwaukee for a game or two next year.

The only thing they seem to be missing in the live broadcast is the ability to show replays immediately afterwards.  I do not recall seeing any.

THRILLHO

• All American
    • twitter feed
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 02:56:21 PM »

Haukar 12,581
LSU-Atletas 6,462
Vicenza 3,928

As to the declining viewership -- I suspect that like others, I was able to sneak-watch the one during the week at work and then was enjoying the summer on the weekend and couldn't get to those streams.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 03:17:49 PM »
Careful on that Bailey prediction Heisenberg still hasn't gottenhas concerns about WOJO over the Lee/Miller one.
FIFY - also, hilarious tie back by you

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 06:52:57 PM »
So, who's mindin' the store, Jon, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 08:21:01 PM »
I know we all have watched and seen what HE has done, but I'll be direct about it.

Big Daddy, what's your assessment of how HE has done on the Italy trip?
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

Daniel

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2015, 10:04:28 PM »

Thanks for the summary, Big a Daddy. Great stuff. 

I was on vacation in Maui and watched the games from there. Was awesome to be able to.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2015, 10:40:59 PM »
So, who's mindin' the store, Jon, hey?

If you're talking about who BigDaddy is, I think you've got the wrong guy.

Just one man's opinion, doe.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2015, 11:53:02 PM »
If you're talking about who BigDaddy is, I think you've got the wrong guy.

Just one man's opinion, doe.

Opinions are like buttholes... sniff around long enough and eventually you can tell who's who.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2015, 12:56:37 AM »
Opinions are like buttholes... sniff around long enough and eventually you can tell who's who.

I thought it was everyone has one and they all stink...

Death on call

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2015, 06:21:00 AM »
If you're a dog...are you a dog Benny, please tell me you're a dog. Speak boy, come on boy speak. That's a good boy.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

Anti-Dentite

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2015, 06:24:01 AM »
Thanks for the summary, Big a Daddy. Great stuff. 

I was on vacation in Maui and watched the games from there. Was awesome to be able to.
I see what you did there...Big a Daddy, that's Italian for Big Daddy.
You know the difference between a dentist and a sadist, don't you? Newer magazines.

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2015, 08:04:10 AM »
As to the declining viewership -- I suspect that like others, I was able to sneak-watch the one during the week at work and then was enjoying the summer on the weekend and couldn't get to those streams.

The margins of victory can't be helping the total number of views, either.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Goose

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2015, 09:51:15 AM »
Good stuff, Big Daddy. Only thing I question is D Wilson not playing PG.

feedback