[Today at 09:22:20 PM]

NIL Future by PointWarrior
[Today at 09:03:13 PM]

MU Gear by TallTitan34
[Today at 07:27:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by Uncle Rico
[Today at 05:33:25 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Broeker taking swings at Bert  (Read 17121 times)

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
Broeker taking swings at Bert
« on: August 16, 2015, 03:55:21 PM »
Whenever Broeker talks about Wojo he always throws in comments that are deliberate jabs at Bert:

"Doing it the right way"

"Bringing in high character guys"

"Laying a strong foundation"

"Building a program correctly"

I heard Bert had worn out his welcome but I think the dysfunction was even greater than any of us outsiders appreciated.

Death on call

chapman

• All American
Re: Broeker taking swings at Bert
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2015, 04:24:11 PM »
Maybe he's a St. Louis Cardinals fan.

MU86NC

• Starter
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2015, 07:54:59 PM »
If you had your eyes closed doesn't  Broeker sound just like Mac...

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2015, 08:35:32 PM »
totally agree with you but the only reason to parade out those quotes over and over is for the recruiting process with a bonus towards jabbing the Lonesome Country Cowboy (close enough?).

isn't the objective mutually beneficial as the audience is the AAU pipeline?

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2015, 09:38:07 PM »
I really hope there are books in my lifetime about the behind the scenes stuff during Buzz Williams' tenure.  For such a wacky individual, who experienced a great deal of success here, I have to imagine there are plenty of stories that just add to his quirks.  I, personally, would love to know more about it.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2015, 09:40:23 PM »
I really hope there are books in my lifetime about the behind the scenes stuff during Buzz Williams' tenure.  For such a wacky individual, who experienced a great deal of success here, I have to imagine there are plenty of stories that just add to his quirks.  I, personally, would love to know more about it.

He neither liked to flush nor park his car.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GooooMarquette

• All American
  • We got this.
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2015, 10:38:20 PM »
He neither liked to flush nor park his car.

Wonder if there's a connection.  Was his car a piece of $hit?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2015, 08:07:48 AM »
We could have gone on a foreign trip any time during the past five years.  Did it cross anyone else's mind that perhaps the administration didn't trust sending the team overseas with Buzz and staff for 10 days?  Not like money was an issue, and not like Buzz to pass on the extra practice time.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2015, 08:48:29 AM »
I understand the desire (need?) for MU fans to put the best possible face on the hoops program, but until (if?) Wojo has "Buzz like" success on the court these are empty platitudes. "Doing it the right way" is great as long as it doesn't turn into an excuse for mediocrity. I'm hopeful, but it's a little early to put Wojo in the coaching hall of fame.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2015, 09:18:16 AM »
I understand the desire (need?) for MU fans to put the best possible face on the hoops program, but until (if?) Wojo has "Buzz like" success on the court these are empty platitudes. "Doing it the right way" is great as long as it doesn't turn into an excuse for mediocrity. I'm hopeful, but it's a little early to put Wojo in the coaching hall of fame.

He'll get there.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2015, 10:15:31 AM »

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2015, 10:38:43 AM »
Whenever Broeker talks about Wojo he always throws in comments that are deliberate jabs at Bert:

"Doing it the right way"

"Bringing in high character guys"

"Laying a strong foundation"

"Building a program correctly"

I heard Bert had worn out his welcome but I think the dysfunction was even greater than any of us outsiders appreciated.
Correction, Keefe--the phony downhome lonesome cowboy only wore out his welcome with a few. There are still some and they know who they are, that were baffled by Buzz's BS to this day and still revere his butt.
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 17, 2015, 10:41:13 AM »
We could have gone on a foreign trip any time during the past five years.  Did it cross anyone else's mind that perhaps the administration didn't trust sending the team overseas with Buzz and staff for 10 days?  Not like money was an issue, and not like Buzz to pass on the extra practice time.

Buzz may have actually preferred the focus on conditioning versus playing overseas. 

Why?  What was Buzz doing to do?

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 17, 2015, 10:41:42 AM »

Yep.  Love what I see so far, but there is still a lot of work to be done.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2015, 10:05:19 PM »
Some seem to be suggesting not doing it the right way, but getting that success is ok.

Sorry, not in that camp.   Just win baby is an excuse.

Both can be achieved and cutting corners, being unethical, etc, etc doesn't get swept under the rug because of wins.  That is exactly how we shouldn't be doing things.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 17, 2015, 10:36:22 PM »
Some seem to be suggesting not doing it the right way, but getting that success is ok.

Both can be achieved and cutting corners, being unethical, etc, etc doesn't get swept under the rug because of wins.  That is exactly how we shouldn't be doing things.

So mass drug use, underage drinking, drinking and driving, etc. are "doing things the right way," a'ina?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 17, 2015, 10:44:24 PM »
Just watched game 3.  This right way / right players stuff needs to stop.  Either that or stop posting endless tributes / pandering to Jimmy, Jae & Dwight on social media. 

You can't have it both ways. 
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 17, 2015, 11:01:29 PM »

BS. Marquette has never been "Just win, baby". Ever. Your other two alma maters? Indiana (post Mike Davis) and Kansas (pretty much forever) - now there's some genuine examples of anything goes.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: August 17, 2015, 11:58:51 PM »
There's a reason schools like Va. Tech and SMU who historically have never won went after a certain type of coach.  The NCAA is littered with examples like this in football and basketball over the decades.  The quick fix...Just win baby....we'll worry about the fallout down the road if anyone gets wise.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2015, 12:04:05 AM »
There's a reason schools like Va. Tech and SMU who historically have never won went after a certain type of coach.  The NCAA is littered with examples like this in football and basketball over the decades.  The quick fix...Just win baby....we'll worry about the fallout down the road if anyone gets wise.

So what you're saying is they couldn't give 2 craps about the coaches resume as long as they were cheaters? (Which 1 has never been found to be, by the way).

You always have some interesting takes, Chicos. That's for sure.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2015, 12:41:07 AM »
So what you're saying is they couldn't give 2 craps about the coaches resume as long as they were cheaters? (Which 1 has never been found to be, by the way).

You always have some interesting takes, Chicos. That's for sure.

To be honest I'm in that sort of camp. Don't know if it's the competitive streak in me but I wouldn't give two craps if the entire MU team were fellons if they won a natty.

Also, many of those problems that some players have are way over exaggurated. One of my dad's former players actually brought a gun with him to practice one time but couldn't have been a nicer person to me and is a good friend of mine.different strokes I guess.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2015, 12:54:13 AM »
One of my dad's former players actually brought a gun with him to practice

And? So?

Gary Brell cut down the nets with a switchblade!

That, in one shining moment, captured the essence of Marquette hoops under Alfred McGuire.

Death on call

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2015, 02:44:23 AM »
And? So?

Gary Brell cut down the nets with a switchblade!

That, in one shining moment, captured the essence of Marquette hoops under Alfred McGuire.

That's what I'm saying. I don't care how "thug" players supposidly are, so long as they win.

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2015, 05:47:25 AM »
That's what I'm saying. I don't care how "thug" players supposidly are, so long as they win.

I'm having a hard time keeping track of how people define things like "just win baby win" and "doing it the right way". Are people concerned about the mere fact that Buzz was bringing in guys from less than stellar background? Or is it more like what he was allowing them to do while they were here, how he went about the recruiting process, etc?

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2015, 06:50:25 AM »
I'm having a hard time keeping track of how people define things like "just win baby win" and "doing it the right way". Are people concerned about the mere fact that Buzz was bringing in guys from less than stellar background? Or is it more like what he was allowing them to do while they were here, how he went about the recruiting process, etc?

Well that's the thing.   It's both.  Apparently some players like Jae should never have been admitted and there also are things that went on that are so unspeakable that only Chicos and his friends know what they are but they refuse to speak about them because you know, they're unspeakable.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

feedback