[April 24, 2024, 08:12:40 PM]

Recruiting as of 3/15/24 by WhiteTrash
[April 24, 2024, 07:58:02 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by MU82
[April 24, 2024, 04:38:12 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Uncle Rico
[April 24, 2024, 04:09:20 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why is Haanif Cheatham not suited/playing?  (Read 14968 times)

tower912

• All American
Re: Why is Haanif Cheatham not suited/playing?
« Reply #25 on: August 16, 2015, 03:45:31 PM »
No one has ever said that NCAA rules are consistent or logical.   Thank you, JB, for boiling it down to its essence.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #26 on: August 16, 2015, 03:49:04 PM »
No one has ever said that NCAA rules are consistent or logical.   Thank you, JB, for boiling it down to its essence.

"17.29.1.4.1.1.1"

Is there a 17.29.1.4.1.1.2?

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #27 on: August 16, 2015, 04:25:35 PM »
  My Guess, only a Guess, But the NCAA realizes they are the cause of the delay in not getting his grades squared away.  Therefore since the grades are in process, he can't play, but they approved the trip, because it's their fault.  Only a guess.

How do you know they are the ones causing the delay?  Why are all the other freshmen through the Clearinghouse?

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #28 on: August 16, 2015, 04:32:48 PM »

How do you know they are the ones causing the delay?  Why are all the other freshmen through the Clearinghouse?

What your Guess Professor?
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 16, 2015, 07:44:11 PM »
My guess is that since Cheatham went to a charter school that there is something on his transcript that needs additional clarification and that either the information wasn't sent to the NCAA in a timely manner or the NCAA simply hasn't had time to process the information.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #30 on: August 16, 2015, 08:27:41 PM »
My guess is that since Cheatham went to a charter school that there is something on his transcript that needs additional clarification and that either the information wasn't sent to the NCAA in a timely manner or the NCAA simply hasn't had time to process the information.

http://www.umich.edu/~psycours/561/nathan.htm

The NCAA: Major barrier to high school reform

Phi Delta Kappan; Bloomington; Jun 1998; Joe Nathan;

Over the past five years, the NCAA has frustrated thousands of students and educators. Ironically, the NCAA has made life especially difficult for many educators who are trying to reform schools to increase student achievement. As a recent New York Times editorial explained, "The NCAA should be promoting educational innovation, not obstructing it."' It's time for the story to be told.

The NCAA, a very large national organization that runs university sports, is not used to challenges. Its most recent annual report showed that in 1997 it had more than $247 million in revenues.2 The organization was established, in part, because college and university officials wanted a relatively level playing field for athletics. Of course, the admissions standards of Princeton, Harvard, Stanford, and Duke are not the same as those of Florida State, the University of Oklahoma, the University of Nebraska, or the University of Nevada, Las Vegas. Nevertheless, some university officials felt that it would be a step forward if they could standardize at least some procedures for dealing with current and prospective university athletes.

About a decade ago, a handful of professional athletes noted that, while attending universities on athletic scholarships, they had developed strong athletic skills but could barely read. This revelation brought calls for reform and heavy pressure on the NCAA. Some members of Congress questioned whether the NCAA was capable of handling the responsibility for university athletics.

The NCAA responded by creating an Initial Eligibility Clearinghouse. It established certain grade-point and test-score minimums that high school athletes had to achieve in order to be eligible for a university athletic scholarship. When this process was originally established, freshmen were not eligible to participate on varsity teams in major sports. However, faced with intense pressure from some coaches in such high-profile sports as football and basketball, the NCAA changed its rules and now permits freshmen to play on varsity teams. This change led to even closer scrutiny of high school students and their coursework.

Clearly, some high school courses are not especially rigorous or demanding. No one debates this. But the NCAA could have joined national testing and assessment authorities, as well as the high school community, to develop better ways of assessing what high school students actually know and can do. For example, the NCAA could have recognized the importance of writing in college and could have worked with the appropriate authorities to develop a valid, reliable test of writing.

Instead, the NCAA developed a list of "standards" that high school courses had to meet. What students know and can do didn't seem to matter. Being a National Merit Scholar or a class valedictorian or posting very high grades and test scores wasn't enough for the NCAA. High school students who wished to be collegiate athletes had to take enough NCAA-approved courses.

In a mailing to high school principals in February and March of 1998 the NCAA noted that, among other things, acceptable high school social studies courses could spend no more than 25% of their time on humanities, criminal justice, contemporary issues, or community service. Does the NCAA require universities to offer and athletes to take courses meeting such standards? No. The NCAA also insisted that independent study courses in English, social studies, math, or science would not be acceptable as core courses --regardless of what the students who took them know and can do. What happened as a result of such policies was tragic and defied common sense.

Student Victims

Dan Zien, a suburban Milwaukee student who won honors in the Junior Olympics, compiled a B-minus high school gradepoint average and had solid SAT scores. However, the NCAA refused to allow him to participate in track as a freshman at Indiana University. Why? It rejected a single English course he had taken, although the same course was accepted from other Wisconsin high schools. The Milwaukee Journal Sentinel article noted that "an expert with the Wisconsin Department of Public Instruction says he has heard similar or worse complaints from almost every high school athletic director in the state."5

Educator Victims

Such stories about student victims go on and on. What about educators and schools victimized by the NCAA? One place to begin is with Elk River High School in Minnesota. Educators there developed a course in which students interviewed community members and wrote about what they learned. On the basis of the course title, "Essential Communications," the NCAA declared this course inappropriate for college preparation, thus making several honor students ineligible for athletic participation as freshmen. In its three-sentence memo to the district superintendent, the NCAA made three grammatical errors: "Thank you for you [sic] fax regarding `Essential Communications.' Do [sic] to the vocational aspect of this, we are unable to approve this course as a core course. Therefore, the decision remains unchange [sic] for student named above."12

Bob Rodrigues, a suburban Pittsburgh teacher who was named "1997 Outstanding Secondary Teacher of the Year" by the National Council for the Social Studies, has spent frustrating months trying to gain NCAA approval of carefully developed interdisciplinary courses. He has won many awards and a Council for Basic Education fellowship, but the NCAA has repeatedly rejected his interdisciplinary courses. As this article was being completed, Rodrigues phoned to say that the NCAA had rejected his course titled "Leadership/School to Career." Is this a college-preparatory class? Sixteen of the 20 students are Rodrigues' former Advanced Placement students. Mike Bonacci, the principal of the school, wrote:

After having had too many experiences calling, submitting curricula, resubmitting curricula, and receiving different answers to the same questions because one can never talk with the same Clearinghouse representative, it makes my guidance counselors and me wonder whether the NCAA Academic Requirements Committee knows anything at all about curricula and those components of a planned course which qualify it as a core course. 3

Bonacci isn't the only angry principal. The NCAA tried to block a New York student from participating in basketball, rejecting his principal's contention that he had taken an acceptable number of mathematics courses. At the time the NCAA acted, according to the judge in this case, the NCAA's own rules said that it would respect the judgment of principals about whether courses met NCAA specifications. However, the Clearinghouse overruled the principal.

Who are the people who wield such power? A Connecticut district court overruled the NCAA in one of the cases, noting that the director of the NCAA's Clearinghouse had revealed in testimony that, to his knowledge, none of the people on his staff "is or ever was a school principal or a teacher who had experience in designing courses."'4

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2015, 08:54:33 PM »
Yeah I get this.

But Marquette is a member of the NCAA and is therefore beholden by the rules it sets for itself.  You can blame the NCAA, but that ultimately points the finger right back at Marquette and its members.

What this means for Cheatham I don't know.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2015, 09:22:57 PM »
If you blame the NCAA, then you're really blaming the schools.  The NCAA executes what the schools vote as a membership. 

The NCAA has become such a boogeyman by fans of college sports, it amazes me how many forget their own schools are part of the membership and often part of the majority that opted in for the legislation that evil NCAA is enforcing.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2015, 09:43:18 PM »
"17.29.1.4.1.1.1"

Is there a 17.29.1.4.1.1.2?

Sounds pretty straightforward.  Ever work with a lawyer who gets frustrated when you want to cross out two words in 17.29.1.4.A.e(III), when it absolutely must be done by expanding 17.29.1.4.a.e(II)?  And if you accidentally added it to 17.29.1.1.4.a.e(II) instead, then all hell breaks loose.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2015, 09:39:04 AM »
Yeah I get this.

But Marquette is a member of the NCAA and is therefore beholden by the rules it sets for itself.  You can blame the NCAA, but that ultimately points the finger right back at Marquette and its members.

Then it it right to think that MU was part of doing this to Haanif? ...and the beat goes on!

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2015, 09:52:23 AM »
I get it -- just another case of Wojo throwing his players under the bus.

If you blame the NCAA, then you're really blaming the schools.  The NCAA executes what the schools vote as a membership. 

The NCAA has become such a boogeyman by fans of college sports, it amazes me how many forget their own schools are part of the membership and often part of the majority that opted in for the legislation that evil NCAA is enforcing.

Yeah I get this.

Benny B

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 17, 2015, 11:01:56 AM »

http://www.umich.edu/~psycours/561/nathan.htm

The NCAA: Major barrier to high school reform

Phi Delta Kappan; Bloomington; Jun 1998; Joe Nathan;

I'm not saying it's entirely irrelevant, and I'm sure 1998 seems like two weeks ago to the sweater vests, but honestly, the only thing we should be citing from 1998 here is an in-depth analysis on the aerodynamic differences between Brian Wardle's and Jim McIlvane's haircuts.
Wow, I'm very concerned for Benny.  Being able to mimic Myron Medcalf's writing so closely implies an oncoming case of dementia.

chapman

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 19, 2015, 02:07:15 PM »
Think it made its way into another thread, but @MarquetteMBB has a video of Wojo addressing the team after the game, and announced that Cheatham is now cleared.  Just missed getting to play.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 19, 2015, 02:30:20 PM »
Think it made its way into another thread, but @MarquetteMBB has a video of Wojo addressing the team after the game, and announced that Cheatham is now cleared.  Just missed getting to play.

That sucks for the kid.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #39 on: August 19, 2015, 04:27:22 PM »
I assume the walk-ons made it through the clearinghouse.

They are in uniform, so you must be correct.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 19, 2015, 04:36:33 PM »
+1

Posters are saying "apple/oranges" and "bureaucracy" but no one knows or can even come close to explaining it.  It sure looks like THE NCAA has wildly inconsistent rules.

(I'm not saying the rules are being incorrectly applied.  Rather that the rules are inconsistent and make no logical sense.)

Those who make the rules - NCAA member institutions - are the ones who must live by those same rules, so it seems that you are saying that the NCAA member schools are shooting themselves in the foot.  They are entitled to do that without taking your reaction into consideration.  Allowing Haanif to make the trip without playing seems like a reasonable compromise to me.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 19, 2015, 04:39:38 PM »
Bylaw 17.29.1.4.1.1.1 covers this. The difference is that HC is expected to be eligible to play in 2015-16; Rowsey is not. That is the difference.

Now, the Univ of Minnesota has brought 2 of their transfers (similarly situated as Rowsey) on their trip to Spain. They didn't practice in the lead-ups to the trip and aren't playing, but per the bylaws it's not allowed. When asked why this being done, an assistant claimed they received a "waiver." Sounds big Fischy.

Could they have practiced in the stateside lead-ups?  Didn't Rowsey practice while the team was preparing for the trip?

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 19, 2015, 04:40:22 PM »
Are you French or something? I thought you were American

Well, he did call it soccer, not football......

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #43 on: August 19, 2015, 05:18:53 PM »
Those who make the rules - NCAA member institutions - are the ones who must live by those same rules, so it seems that you are saying that the NCAA member schools are shooting themselves in the foot. 

Exactly, but they don't seem to want to put a bandage on it, instead  just keep on shooting.

But wait maybe it will be corrected right after the Ban on 6-9 digits are lifted for jerseys numbers.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 19, 2015, 06:21:57 PM »
Could they have practiced in the stateside lead-ups?  Didn't Rowsey practice while the team was preparing for the trip?

No; they could practice during the allowable summer practices, but not during the 10 days of full practice allowed for those going on a foreign trip.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 20, 2015, 10:29:47 AM »
No; they could practice during the allowable summer practices, but not during the 10 days of full practice allowed for those going on a foreign trip.

Thanks.

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 20, 2015, 10:33:34 AM »

Exactly, but they don't seem to want to put a bandage on it, instead  just keep on shooting.

But wait maybe it will be corrected right after the Ban on 6-9 digits are lifted for jerseys numbers.

It sounds like someone is stumping for genetically modified referees...

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #47 on: August 20, 2015, 11:36:10 AM »
It sounds like someone is stumping for genetically modified referees...

Yeah, NBA ref's had to attend night classes or get an operation......but no one needed the latter.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #48 on: August 27, 2015, 01:17:27 AM »
Three of Depaul's freshmen were also unable to play on their Europe trip. These things happen. Clearing the fall sports is more of a priority than the handful of basketball players who take Europe trips. Unfortunate for the individual student but not really the end of the world. At least they get to go on the trip.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 01:20:49 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2015, 02:07:15 AM »
Sounds pretty straightforward.  Ever work with a lawyer who gets frustrated when you want to cross out two words in 17.29.1.4.A.e(III), when it absolutely must be done by expanding 17.29.1.4.a.e(II)?  And if you accidentally added it to 17.29.1.1.4.a.e(II) instead, then all hell breaks loose.

Good Lord. That is wh I never had any desire to go to law school. I am happiest building sh1t and blowing sh1t up.

Death on call

feedback