[April 22, 2024, 08:17:35 PM]

MU Alumni playing in European and Foreign Leagues Thread by mileskishnish72
[April 22, 2024, 04:17:36 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by WeAreMarquette96
[April 22, 2024, 01:49:31 PM]

[Paint Touches] Way-Too-Early roundup of MU rankings by tower912
[April 22, 2024, 01:29:28 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Why is Haanif Cheatham not suited/playing?  (Read 14963 times)

NCMUFan

• All American
Why is Haanif Cheatham not suited/playing?
« on: August 15, 2015, 01:33:14 PM »
Why is Haanif Cheatham not suited/playing?

jsglow

• All American
Re: Why is Haanif Cheatham not suited/playing?
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 01:34:07 PM »
As indicated previously, not through the NCAA clearinghouse yet.

NCMUFan

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 01:35:13 PM »
Thank you.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 07:43:11 PM »
Can anyone explain why he gets to go on the trip**, all expanses paid, but not play?  Seems like the NCAA would care more about the benefit of having a free trip in Europe than playing in a (from the NCAA perspective) meaningless exhibition game.

** = he's on the bench cheering the players

tower912

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 08:04:52 PM »
The walk-ons are there too.   As is Travis Diener, several large donors, etc.    He is on scholarship and not a transfer.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 08:14:29 PM »
I assume the walk-ons made it through the clearinghouse.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 08:19:22 PM »
Can anyone explain why he gets to go on the trip**, all expanses paid, but not play?  Seems like the NCAA would care more about the benefit of having a free trip in Europe than playing in a (from the NCAA perspective) meaningless exhibition game.

** = he's on the bench cheering the players

My Guess, only a Guess, But the NCAA realizes they are the cause of the delay in not getting his grades squared away.  Therefore since the grades are in process, he can't play, but they approved the trip, because it's their fault.  Only a guess.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 08:59:41 PM »
  My Guess, only a Guess, But the NCAA realizes they are the cause of the delay in not getting his grades squared away.  Therefore since the grades are in process, he can't play, but they approved the trip, because it's their fault.  Only a guess.

This makes sense, so why not let him play?  Like I said, it is a meaningless exhibition game.  But the NCAA is ok with MU spending thousands to send him to Europe to play a tourist.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 09:14:35 PM »
This makes sense, so why not let him play?  Like I said, it is a meaningless exhibition game.  But the NCAA is ok with MU spending thousands to send him to Europe to play a tourist.
so it has to be gross negligence or incompetence?  can't it just be an overly bureaucratic system that has to treat all 10,000 (ish) incoming freshman student athletes with the same sport by sport diligence? 

They're not picking on Haanif or Marquette, it's the process.  Don't like...... it call the MU AD, BigEast offices and the NCAA.  OR, blame a boogey man if that makes the situation easier to process.  (i don't know the inner workings of NCAA processes and neither do you but i'm using Occam's Razor)

Newsdreams

• All American
  • Goal - Win BE
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 09:42:59 PM »
so it has to be gross negligence or incompetence?  can't it just be an overly bureaucratic system that has to treat all 10,000 (ish) incoming freshman student athletes with the same sport by sport diligence? 

They're not picking on Haanif or Marquette, it's the process.  Don't like...... it call the MU AD, BigEast offices and the NCAA.  OR, blame a boogey man if that makes the situation easier to process.  (i don't know the inner workings of NCAA processes and neither do you but i'm using Occam's Razor)

Respect the process, hey!
Goal is National Championship

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 10:03:35 PM »
AS I PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED, DUKE AND KENTUCKY ARE NOT INVOLVED OR THIS THING WOULD HAVE BEEN RESOLVED. THE G-D DAM NCAA SUCKS!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 10:10:12 PM »

Partially correct.  They aren't necessarily the cause of the delay, per se.  They handle clearances based on timing of the sports.  It is perfectly possibly that they could have processed his case last month but more information is needed from his school he played for, etc.  Point is, it's not always sitting with the clearing house, but can require multiple inputs over time from the school(s) that a kid has played for as well.  Just depends.

Earl Tatum

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2015, 10:12:03 PM »
IT STILL IS 'WHO YOU ARE'. WE ARE MARQUETTE!

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 10:19:31 PM »
AS I PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED, DUKE AND KENTUCKY ARE NOT INVOLVED OR THIS THING WOULD HAVE BEEN RESOLVED. THE G-D DAM NCAA SUCKS!

With all due respect, Kansas is waiting right now for their 5 star stud power forward to be cleared.  Louisville was waiting two years ago until October.  Kentucky had to wait several times in the last five years for players to be cleared in August and September.   I can't answer for Duke, but then again they typically aren't going after players that are on the fence academically.

The NCAA executes the rules that the membership (all the universities) vote in.  The universities have said they want a "fair" playing field.  There are some like Jay Bilas that would like to blow up the clearing house entirely, so if Kentucky wants to admit someone with a 4th grade education and Stanford doesn't, so be it.  That's the other side of the argument.  For now, this is the process we have and schools of all ilk, pedigrees, etc, are impacted...not just MU. 

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 11:04:07 PM »
Partially correct.  They aren't necessarily the cause of the delay, per se.  They handle clearances based on timing of the sports.  It is perfectly possibly that they could have processed his case last month but more information is needed from his school he played for, etc.  Point is, it's not always sitting with the clearing house, but can require multiple inputs over time from the school(s) that a kid has played for as well.  Just depends.

You seem to know more about the Processing.   Thanks
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2015, 11:48:12 PM »

You seem to know more about the Processing.   Thanks

Going through it right now with my son for soccer.  Parents are encouraged to get the process started in the student's junior year.  Of course, not everyone does that and not everyone's transcripts, etc are on the up and up....thus why it can take longer for some than others.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2015, 12:10:36 AM »
Going through it right now with my son for soccer. 

Are you French or something? I thought you were American

Death on call

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2015, 12:21:25 AM »
Can't it just be an overly bureaucratic system that has to treat all 10,000 (ish) incoming freshman student athletes with the same sport by sport diligence? 

They're not picking on Haanif or Marquette, it's the process. 

Ding ding ding. There's no conspiracy here. There's no malintent. There's not even incompetence. It's a slow system. Basketball doesn't typically start until November. Sometimes things take time to process and sometimes additional information needs to be gathered. It sucks for Haanif but at least he still gets to go on the trip. It would set a dangerous precedent if he were allowed to play without being cleared.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2015, 01:08:40 AM »
Are you French or something? I thought you were American

I'm not sure what this is even supposed to mean TD.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2015, 10:24:50 AM »
Why is HC allowed to travel and NOT play, when his transcripts need to be ok'd, but Rowsey can't even just travel  w/ the team ?? Just wondering..

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 16, 2015, 12:57:57 PM »
Why is HC allowed to travel and NOT play, when his transcripts need to be ok'd, but Rowsey can't even just travel  w/ the team ?? Just wondering..

No reason to believe the two are related at all.  HC is a clearinghouse issue.  Rowsey is subject to documented transfer sit out rules.  Apples/oranges.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #21 on: August 16, 2015, 01:16:57 PM »

Another example of The White Man being held down by an unjust system!

Death on call

Tugg Speedman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 16, 2015, 01:28:34 PM »

+1

Posters are saying "apple/oranges" and "bureaucracy" but no one knows or can even come close to explaining it.  It sure looks like THE NCAA has wildly inconsistent rules.

(I'm not saying the rules are being incorrectly applied.  Rather that the rules are inconsistent and make no logical sense.)

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 16, 2015, 01:33:58 PM »

Bylaw 17.29.1.4.1.1.1 covers this. The difference is that HC is expected to be eligible to play in 2015-16; Rowsey is not. That is the difference.

Now, the Univ of Minnesota has brought 2 of their transfers (similarly situated as Rowsey) on their trip to Spain. They didn't practice in the lead-ups to the trip and aren't playing, but per the bylaws it's not allowed. When asked why this being done, an assistant claimed they received a "waiver." Sounds big Fischy.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #24 on: August 16, 2015, 03:42:16 PM »
Bylaw 17.29.1.4.1.1.1 covers this. The difference is that HC is expected to be eligible to play in 2015-16; Rowsey is not. That is the difference.

Just another example of the white man being held down by an unfair and unjust system.

Death on call

feedback