[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Atletas thoughts  (Read 14041 times)

tower912

• All American
Atletas thoughts
« on: August 15, 2015, 01:08:20 PM »
Yeah....
1.   I believe in Henry.    Still curious what he will look like against an athletic 6'9 guy.
2.  Coaches have done a good job of getting them to play fast.    Pushing the ball off of every miss makes me so happy.
3.  Defensive play is inconsistent. 
4.  Need to make free throws.
5. Traci Carter looks good. 
6. Wally/Sandy/JJJ/Amin all seem pretty interchangeable at this point. 
7.  This can only help.  Learning how to win, learning to play together.
8.   Still not sure about the level of competition.
9.   Nobody got hurt.    Moving on.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
Re: Atletas thoughts
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2015, 01:10:51 PM »
Yeah....
1.   I believe in Henry.    Still curious what he will look like against an athletic 6'9 guy.
2.  Coaches have done a good job of getting them to play fast.    Pushing the ball off of every miss makes me so happy.
4.  Need to make free throws.
5. Traci Carter looks good. 
6. Wally/Sandy/JJJ/Amin all seem pretty interchangeable at this point. 
7.  This can only help.  Learning how to win, learning to play together.
8.   Still not sure about the level of competition.
9.   Nobody got hurt.    Moving on.

In regards to 6 I would divide them into two tiers. Sandy and JJJ in tier 1 and Wally and Amin in tier 2. JJJ looked much better today and was it just me or did Sandy look really tall? Like he grew from last year.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2015, 01:13:33 PM »
Thought JjJ played great today.  He and Sandy are 5 and 6.  Wally will give us minutes but is somewhat limited.  Like what I see in Sacar.  And Matty did a nice backup job today.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2015, 01:14:25 PM »
Considering this is a bunch of scrimmages, the production quality of this event is top-notch - whoever was thoughtful enough to fund this -- thanks. 

I wish I could get Thomas and this you tube feed for every game.

Oh yea -- HE is real good.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2015, 01:14:32 PM »
putting JJJ and Wally together is just insulting.

Him and Sandy might be interchangeable. But Wally? Stop.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2015, 01:18:56 PM »
I'm so happy we have basketball to talk about during this point of the offseason rather then god knows what.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2015, 01:20:46 PM »
putting JJJ and Wally together is just insulting.

Him and Sandy might be interchangeable. But Wally? Stop.

I wasn't overly impressed with any of the 4.   They all had their good and bad moments.     
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

chapman

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2015, 01:20:56 PM »
Considering this is a bunch of scrimmages, the production quality of this event is top-notch - whoever was thoughtful enough to fund this -- thanks. 

I wish I could get Thomas and this you tube feed for every game.

Oh yea -- HE is real good.

Basketball Travelers + MU Athletics have done a fantastic job to bring this to us.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2015, 01:21:17 PM »
JJJ can score in transition.  Sandy can score in the half court.  Anim does all the little things, doesn't really make any bad decisions, defends really well, and has the ability to score when it is presented.  Wally will be a high energy guy and has the right attitude to fill that role.  The 3 will be our weakest position, but we have 4 guys who each bring something different to the table, so based on what we need in any given situation I think we'll be fine there, especially considering Cheatham can probably also provide some minutes.

In my view, based on what I see this team needs, the order I feel most comfortable with getting the most minutes would go:
1) Anim
2) Sandy
3) JJJ
4) Wally

We will be able to score the ball this year.  We need players who can defend the other team's best scorer.  I think Anim is best equipped to do this.  Hank's on ball defense is not very good.  Give us the option to let Hank guard a less offensively gifted player and Anim takes the better offensive option.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 01:23:37 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

tower912

• All American
« Reply #9 on: August 15, 2015, 01:24:10 PM »
Dammit.   #10 was supposed to be that I wished I could get a look at Cheatham.   

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #10 on: August 15, 2015, 01:25:10 PM »
Notice that Vojo (Thomas accent) let Duane play significant time at point?

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 15, 2015, 01:26:07 PM »
See, I just haven't been that impressed with Anim. I think he'll be a good player, just not this year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 15, 2015, 01:28:25 PM »
See, I just haven't been that impressed with Anim. I think he'll be a good player, just not this year.

One of the reasons I am not as bullish as some others is that this team is sooooooo young.   I think there is a lot of talent here.   I'm just not convinced it all comes together this year.   

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2015, 01:33:24 PM »

I think Anim will be fine in a back-up role.  He'll be 7-9th man.  Last year that was a walk-on.  Sacar will give us a solid 12 minutes a game.  Was really impressed with Matt today.  He can see the floor, stay under control and give both Luke and Henry a real break.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #14 on: August 15, 2015, 01:38:08 PM »
Thought JjJ played great today.  He and Sandy are 5 and 6.  Wally will give us minutes but is somewhat limited.  Like what I see in Sacar.  And Matty did a nice backup job today.
JJJ is doing what the coaches want him to do, working hard on defense ,focusing his offense on driving and transition with an occasional mid range jumper. Based on what I have seen so far I think he is going to be an important factor this year for us. With so many other options he can just do the things he is good at and take advantage of his length etc.

Sacar looks like a winner to me. His stock will keep rising. Sandy continues his nice progression.

Wally is an energy guy, but not someone we want in the game in any kind of important situation.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2015, 01:39:16 PM »
My other thought on the game is Carter wins every single 50/50 ball.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2015, 01:43:56 PM »
One of the reasons I am not as bullish as some others is that this team is sooooooo young.   I think there is a lot of talent here.   I'm just not convinced it all comes together this year.

The team is indeed young, which is why getting an opportunity to practice early and play in real games in August is huge. Theses four games will give the coaches significant insight into how to proceed with the fellas going forward. Great experience for all involved.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2015, 01:44:46 PM »
I agree 100%.     Assuming no one gets seriously injured, this can do nothing but help.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #18 on: August 15, 2015, 01:46:15 PM »
Also, the person who I would most temper my expectations on based on this performance is JJJ.  This is exactly the type of game that JJJ would thrive in, and exactly the type of game we won't play at all in the BE and beyond.  Atletas was extremely sloppy with the ball and their transition D was as bad as I've seen.  That's exactly where JJJ plays his best, in transition.  We won't see that kind of game in the BE.

brandx

« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2015, 02:06:52 PM »

Somewhat - but it is hard to tell right now.

They play a different style over there that we will not see a lot. Especially, swinging the ball around for 3 pointers and having bigs move outside. Seems like they mostly drive the lane to get open threes rather than taking it to the hoop to score or get fouled.

And we have to remember that these teams have been together a lot longer than MU so they should work together better.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2015, 02:12:57 PM »
Also, the person who I would most temper my expectations on based on this performance is JJJ.  This is exactly the type of game that JJJ would thrive in, and exactly the type of game we won't play at all in the BE and beyond.  Atletas was extremely sloppy with the ball and their transition D was as bad as I've seen.  That's exactly where JJJ plays his best, in transition.  We won't see that kind of game in the BE.

I do agree with this to an extent.

This game is definitely not what will routinely happen in BE play.

But to imply that transition is non existent there is not true. We've just had a couple of really poor offensive teams recently.

This year I think our goal is going to be to push it more. So he should get opportunities.

Jury is out though. Agree 100% on that.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2015, 02:14:03 PM »
I'm assuming since it hasn't been posted there is no official word but...

We got any sort of box score/stats yet?

chapman

• All American
« Reply #22 on: August 15, 2015, 03:18:50 PM »
I'm assuming since it hasn't been posted there is no official word but...

We got any sort of box score/stats yet?

Only have the @MarquetteMBB Twitter and GoMarquette.com story to go from:

Henry 29/7
Fischer 21/9
Duane 11 assists
Anim 10 points
« Last Edit: August 15, 2015, 03:24:23 PM by chapman »

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2015, 03:47:57 PM »

Henry 29/7
Fischer 21/9
Duane 11 assists
Anim 10 points

Thanks for this.  Kind of like a nice Thumbprint of the game.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

willie warrior

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 15, 2015, 03:55:10 PM »

Henry 29/7
Fischer 21/9
Duane 11 assists
Anim 10 points
but wait...Duane with 11 assists? Many here have told us he cannot play the point. How can this be?
I thought you were dead. Willie lives rent free in Reekers mind.

feedback