'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

How many years do you think Henry Ellenson will play at Marquette?

One and done
63 (27.5%)
Two and through
142 (62%)
Three or more
24 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 226

Voting closed: November 10, 2015, 01:15:08 PM

Author Topic: Ellenson: One and Done or not?  (Read 113589 times)

Galway Eagle

• All American
Re: Ellenson: One and Done or not?
« Reply #175 on: October 08, 2015, 10:38:21 AM »
Nope.  I'll be rooting for Henry to leave because the only reason he doesn't leave is if he has some kind of major injury this year, and that would not be good for anyone.

If he averages 15.6ppg and 5.8rpg would you say he's a fool to stay? Or 17.2ppg and 10.2rpg?
Maigh Eo for Sam

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #176 on: October 08, 2015, 10:47:05 AM »
yes, he would have been out of the league at 20, hard to say if that would be better for him or not.

Well, he would've had a few years of making multiple millions of dollars even if that is the case.  Instead, he didn't get paid for the next 3 years and then went overseas.  So instead of making $2M/year for the next 3 years and then going overseas, he made $0.00/year over the next 3 years and then went overseas.  Oops.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 10:50:29 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #177 on: October 08, 2015, 10:47:25 AM »
If he averages 15.6ppg and 5.8rpg would you say he's a fool to stay? Or 17.2ppg and 10.2rpg?

I'm guessing you're comparing him to 2 players who put up those numbers but stayed in college.  Were either of those players 6'10" guys with a guard's skillset?
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 10:48:57 AM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #178 on: October 08, 2015, 10:55:40 AM »
I'm guessing you're comparing him to 2 players who put up those numbers but stayed in college.  Were either of those players 6'10" guys with a guard's skillset?

One is 6-8 with a guard's skill set. The other is 6-9 and built like a tank.

There's only two players I can think of that are 6-10 with a guards skill set. And of those two there was financial need for one of them while the other did not. Although the other lead his team to a FF so if Ellenson does that go on ahead and leave.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Spotcheck Billy

• All American
« Reply #179 on: October 08, 2015, 11:25:35 AM »
respect the process

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #180 on: October 08, 2015, 11:56:17 AM »
Nope.  I'll be rooting for Henry to leave because the only reason he doesn't leave is if he has some kind of major injury this year, and that would not be good for anyone.

Unless you know him, or know someone who has talked with him and given you his mindset, you are simply making a prediction.  It may be a REALLY good prediction based on the history of players ranked that high, but ultimately you don't know if HE will stay or not.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 12:54:13 PM by The Sultan of Sunshine »

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #181 on: October 08, 2015, 12:50:19 PM »
I'm in the "He Gone" camp and it is two fold:

1) I believe it is the most realistic scenario
2) I am setting myself up mentally for a Henry Free 2017 (I believe Wojo is doing this too)

Of all the names bandied about the only sure fire lotto's were Marcus Smart and Blake Griffin.  The Harrison Twins have been 2nd Rounders since they started playing at UK.  Harrison Barnes had a very uneven Freshman season.  WCS is a work in progress.  Dekker was a fringe Top 10 player at best out of HS.  Yes top 10 potential kids flame out but it's not as likely.  The odds state Henry is gone. 

Finally, his family is made up of decorated athletes.  Regardless of finances if you have the option of playing in the best league in the world, against the best competition, with the best coaching and facilities --- competitive people like the Ellensons usually take it.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 01:01:19 PM by The Lens »
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #182 on: October 08, 2015, 01:11:18 PM »
HE was ranked #9 RSCI.  Here is the current status of other #9s:

2014: Justin Jackson, UNC, averaged 10.7 ppg.  Back in school
2013: Noah Vonleh, IU, one and done, NBA player
2012: Marcus Smart, OkSU, averaged 15 ppg his freshman year and was B12 POY.  Stayed another year.
2011: Adonis Thomas, UNC, three years in school.  Fringe NBA player.
2010: Tristan Thompson, Texas, one and done, NBA player
2009: Kenny Boynton, Florida, four year player.  Solid college guy but not NBA player.
2008: Ed Davis, UNC, two year player.  Fringe NBA player.
2007: JJ Hickson, NC State, one and done.  NBA player
2006: Brook Lopez, Stanford, two year player.  NBA player.
2005: Mario Chalmers, Kansas, three year player.  NBA player.

So of the last ten players ranked in the same position as HE

**3 were one and done
**3 stayed two years, but two of whom could have have been no doubt first round picks after one year, but came back for second year (Smart, Lopez)
**2 spent three years in school
**1 spent four years in school
**1 is still in school

MU82

• All American
« Reply #183 on: October 08, 2015, 09:42:57 PM »

Source?
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #184 on: October 08, 2015, 09:50:36 PM »
Even a Looney would go pro after a year.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Goose

• All American
« Reply #185 on: October 09, 2015, 11:19:25 AM »
Saw Henry at the women's soccer game last night and he really likes an athlete and not a 6-11 ball player. He even walks like an agile athlete. Going to be fun to watch.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #186 on: October 09, 2015, 11:38:36 AM »
HE was ranked #9 RSCI.  Here is the current status of other #9s:

2014: Justin Jackson, UNC, averaged 10.7 ppg.  Back in school
2013: Noah Vonleh, IU, one and done, NBA player
2012: Marcus Smart, OkSU, averaged 15 ppg his freshman year and was B12 POY.  Stayed another year.
2011: Adonis Thomas, UNC, three years in school.  Fringe NBA player.
2010: Tristan Thompson, Texas, one and done, NBA player
2009: Kenny Boynton, Florida, four year player.  Solid college guy but not NBA player.
2008: Ed Davis, UNC, two year player.  Fringe NBA player.
2007: JJ Hickson, NC State, one and done.  NBA player
2006: Brook Lopez, Stanford, two year player.  NBA player.
2005: Mario Chalmers, Kansas, three year player.  NBA player.

So of the last ten players ranked in the same position as HE

**3 were one and done
**3 stayed two years, but two of whom could have have been no doubt first round picks after one year, but came back for second year (Smart, Lopez)
**2 spent three years in school
**1 spent four years in school
**1 is still in school
Some players are very good college players, but will not make the NBA because they are too small or not athletic enough.  Ellenson has the size and if you define athleticism as mobility he is athletic enough.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #187 on: October 09, 2015, 12:49:02 PM »
Some players are very good college players, but will not make the NBA because they are too small or not athletic enough.  Ellenson has the size and if you define athleticism as mobility he is athletic enough.

Which of those players would you describe as too small or not athletic enough for the NBA?
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #188 on: October 09, 2015, 12:51:21 PM »
We will obviously have enough information to determine if he is a 1 and done based on his performance during the scrimmage tonight.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #189 on: October 09, 2015, 12:55:55 PM »
Which of those players would you describe as too small or not athletic enough for the NBA?

Kenny Boynton.  Too small for the NBA (and a cautious case for why Duane Wilson will likely not make the NBA either.)

But I think that's the only one considering the rest of them are actually in the NBA right now.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #190 on: November 16, 2015, 11:47:51 PM »
I think the answer has been definitively spoken. Henry is not a legitimate one and done.

I continue to believe he will be with us for 4 years. Big East Player of the Year as a Senior.

He has a lot of talent, but he also has many holes in his game. Those holes were exposed in high school but were overlooked.

Wojo has given this kid a green light for everything and I think that needs to be rethought.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #191 on: November 17, 2015, 12:01:07 AM »
I think the answer has been definitively spoken. Henry is not a legitimate one and done.

I continue to believe he will be with us for 4 years. Big East Player of the Year as a Senior.

He has a lot of talent, but he also has many holes in his game. Those holes were exposed in high school but were overlooked.

Wojo has given this kid a green light for everything and I think that needs to be rethought.

I have said I think he'll be around for more than one year, but it's FAR too early to say what you said here.

NBA teams draft for potential. Noah Vonleh was the No. 9 pick in the 2014 draft, for cripe's sake, and that's just one of dozens of examples in recent years.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #192 on: November 17, 2015, 12:05:07 AM »

...The kid put up 21, 16, and 3 in his first game. That is literally the best debut for a Marquette basketball player ever. And unlike other similar great debuts, it was against legitimate top 100 competition rather than some scrubs. And you want to say "definitively" he is not a legitimate one and one option after two games.

I'm not saying he's going to go one and done but I have seen nothing to say he couldn't to this point. And before you say "his defense," the NBA doesn't care. He's 6"11 with a strong handle and good shot. Defense can be taught.

But more than anything, it's two games. To say anything is definitive is just silly.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

79Warrior

• All American
« Reply #193 on: November 17, 2015, 12:08:44 AM »

Yep. After two games you know. Maybe you should be a scout.

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #194 on: November 17, 2015, 01:27:27 AM »
...The kid put up 21, 16, and 3 in his first game. That is literally the best debut for a Marquette basketball player ever. And unlike other similar great debuts, it was against legitimate top 100 competition rather than some scrubs. And you want to say "definitively" he is not a legitimate one and one option after two games.

I'm not saying he's going to go one and done but I have seen nothing to say he couldn't to this point. And before you say "his defense," the NBA doesn't care. He's 6"11 with a strong handle and good shot. Defense can be taught.

But more than anything, it's two games. To say anything is definitive is just silly.

This should just about end the nonsense above.

Calling him a 4 year player after 21 and 16 lol
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Goose

• All American
« Reply #195 on: November 17, 2015, 06:04:58 AM »
One and done. Draft positions are based off upside potential, especially the younger you are. Furthermore, from everything I have heard it appears to me he has high desire to play at next level. Barring injury I think very slim possibility of him being back for a second year.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #196 on: November 17, 2015, 06:11:08 AM »

This is effing laughable. Let's bear in mind, Henry is currently averaging 19.5/9.5. If he keeps that up, those will be better numbers than Trey Lyles, Noah Vonleh, Alex Len, or Steven Adams ever put up, all of whom were lottery picks in the past 3 years. Those are also better number than Anthony Bennett, who was the #1 overall pick 3 years ago.

Looking at Henry's body, he could certainly use another year. He is not at all sculpted and right now seems to have that kind of "country strong" physique that many freshman bigs have. Give him a second year and he could be a POY candidate. Not team, not league, but nationally. But if he wants to go this year, the skillset is there and he's almost certain to be a first round pick.

Everyone is talking about his debut, how about putting up 18/3/3 in his second game on what was clearly an off-night? If that's what he does when he's BAD, I'm pretty sure he's good enough to get drafted on potential.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #197 on: November 17, 2015, 06:17:26 AM »
He gone, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #198 on: November 17, 2015, 08:37:09 AM »
This is effing laughable. Let's bear in mind, Henry is currently averaging 19.5/9.5. If he keeps that up, those will be better numbers than Trey Lyles, Noah Vonleh, Alex Len, or Steven Adams ever put up, all of whom were lottery picks in the past 3 years. Those are also better number than Anthony Bennett, who was the #1 overall pick 3 years ago.

Looking at Henry's body, he could certainly use another year. He is not at all sculpted and right now seems to have that kind of "country strong" physique that many freshman bigs have. Give him a second year and he could be a POY candidate. Not team, not league, but nationally. But if he wants to go this year, the skillset is there and he's almost certain to be a first round pick.

Everyone is talking about his debut, how about putting up 18/3/3 in his second game on what was clearly an off-night? If that's what he does when he's BAD, I'm pretty sure he's good enough to get drafted on potential.
Henry has good stats for sure. I just see him as a Me First stat guy right now. That is going to be severely exploited when he plays against quality athletic competition.

Yes he may be drafted on potential. All I care about is the here and now and him contributing to MU winning.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #199 on: November 17, 2015, 08:43:30 AM »
Henry has good stats for sure. I just see him as a Me First stat guy right now. That is going to be severely exploited when he plays against quality athletic competition.

Yes he may be drafted on potential. All I care about is the here and now and him contributing to MU winning.

Interestingly, NBA general managers have slightly different concerns than Scoopers.

feedback