[April 25, 2024, 09:43:05 PM]

[New to PT] Big East Roster Tracker by Uncle Rico
[April 25, 2024, 05:51:25 PM]

Campus camp-out with cool flags? by FreewaysBurnerAccount
[April 25, 2024, 04:52:25 PM]

2024-25 Non-Conference Schedule by The Hippie Satan of Hyperbole
[April 25, 2024, 02:51:03 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Poll

How many years do you think Henry Ellenson will play at Marquette?

One and done
63 (27.5%)
Two and through
142 (62%)
Three or more
24 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 226

Voting closed: November 10, 2015, 01:15:08 PM

Author Topic: Ellenson: One and Done or not?  (Read 114155 times)

GGGG

• All American
Re: Ellenson: One and Done or not?
« Reply #150 on: October 07, 2015, 12:56:39 PM »
Oops.

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #151 on: October 07, 2015, 01:45:30 PM »
+1 -- I dream of a scenario where those three go pro next year.  My guess is the excitement of watching that happen would totally offset the temporary gap in recruiting.  Temporary would likely be the key word because Wojo would be the coach that just delivered 3 guys to the NBA.

So we're worried we have a guard that will play way better than junior-year Vander Blue, to go along with our freshman lottery pick, as well as a 6'10 center who will also play well enough to be first-round worthy. Wow. I need to increase my expectations for this season!

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #152 on: October 07, 2015, 03:55:49 PM »
I think little to no chance of him returning for a second season. Hopefully the first of more one and done at MU.

I'm not saying it's likely, but there are plenty of examples of guys projected to go in the lottery that stick around for another year.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #153 on: October 07, 2015, 04:32:05 PM »
I'm not saying it's likely, but there are plenty of examples of guys projected to go in the lottery that stick around for another year.

Really, can you name them?

He gone.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #154 on: October 07, 2015, 09:02:02 PM »
Bein' NBA ready, as a prereq. for enterin' the draft, should have no bearin', whatsoever, whether a playa enters or not. The Association is predicated on potential. The 30th playa selected in this year's draft got a 3 year guaranteed deal, with a club option for year 4. Total compensation value is north of $8 mil.

HE gone. If, by chance, Henry is dumb enough to stay, I'll personally examine his head for nothin', hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #155 on: October 07, 2015, 09:17:42 PM »

He gone.

Harrison Barnes, Jared Sullinger. If we're going off players that were projected to be lottery picks before the season that stayed because they didn't live up to expectations that'd be half of Kentucky's team this past year I believe. 
Maigh Eo for Sam

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #156 on: October 07, 2015, 09:29:58 PM »

He gone.

Off the top of my head?

2015: Jakob Poeltl, Caris Levert, Kris Dunn, Wayne Selden, Chris Walker
2014: Willie Cauley-Stein, Andrew Harrison, Aaron Harrison, Wayne Selden, Montrezl Harrell, Sam Dekker
2013: Alex Poythress

Sometimes kids like playing in college. Its rare, its not the norm but It does happen. Everyone who claims to know whether or not Ellenson is gone is mistaking opinion for fact.

I think everyone except maybe one or two posters I have seen, agree that Ellenson has the talent to go one and done. Whether or not he does is an entirely different question.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Smokin' Jae

• Team Captain
« Reply #157 on: October 07, 2015, 09:41:41 PM »

He gone.
Blake Griffin. Very similar situation to Henry and Wally. Came back to play his sophomore year with his brother who was a senior at the time

MU82

• All American
« Reply #158 on: October 07, 2015, 11:31:45 PM »
Blake Griffin. Very similar situation to Henry and Wally. Came back to play his sophomore year with his brother who was a senior at the time

Griffin, Cauley-Stein and the Harrisons are very good examples. Hell, Kaminsky might have been a lottery pick in 2014; certainly a first-rounder. Going back a few years (but not that long ago), Duke's Kyle Singler was an absolute stud coming out of HS in 2006 ... and ended up staying all 4 years.

Of course, Henry could be 1-and-done, but all these folks who profess to be sure -- and yes, I'm talkin' about Duane, too -- have absolutely no inside information that it's a certainty.

They are using logic, and that's smart. But logic doesn't always rule the day when it comes to a 19-year-old's decision, especially when that 19-year-old has a brother on the team and doesn't have huge financial need.

I guess it's just totally uncool to say, "I don't know, but I think ... " Gotta say, with total certainty, HE'S GONE AND IT'S A DONE DEAL.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #159 on: October 08, 2015, 12:14:01 AM »
So far:

2014: Willie Cauley-Stein, Andrew Harrison, Aaron Harrison, Wayne Selden, Montrezl Harrell, Sam Dekker
2011: Harrison Barnes, Jared Sullinger, Terrance Jones
2008: Blake Griffin, Kyle Singler

Let's keep this list going! Should give us hope for two years of Henry!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 01:37:53 AM by BagpipingBoxer »
Maigh Eo for Sam

MU82

• All American
« Reply #160 on: October 08, 2015, 12:54:49 AM »
So far:

2011: Harrison Barnes, Jared Sullinger
2008: Blake Griffin, Kyle Singler

Let's keep this list going! Should give us hope for two years of Henry!

Harrison Barnes. Excellent example. No. 1-rated recruit in Class of 2010 by Scout, No. 2-rated by Rivals. Mickey D's AA. Junior National Select Team. Morgan Wootton winner as No. 1 prep player of 2010. Preseason AP All-American as frosh despite never having played a college game. First double-double only a month into UNC career. In January of his freshman year, was projected as the No. 8-overall draft pick.

And yet he stayed two years.

Oh, and BTW, Sullinger was projected as the No. 1-overall draft pick in January of his freshman year (same year as Barnes, 2011).

And yet he stayed for two years.

And that same year, Terrence Jones went for 25-12 in his first game at Kentucky and by January was projected as the No. 6-overall pick. Averaged 16 points and 9 rebs as a Kentucky frosh and was first-team All-SEC.

And yet he stayed two years ... and was rewarded with a national title as a sophomore.

So that's three just from 2011 -- Barnes, Sullinger and Jones -- who were projected as lottery picks and ended up staying two years at their schools.

But yes, some here think it is OUTRAGEOUS to think that Henry Ellenson, whose own brother is on the team and whose family has no significant financial need, might stick around for more than one year.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2015, 12:56:22 AM by MU82 »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #161 on: October 08, 2015, 06:24:44 AM »
He gowne.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #162 on: October 08, 2015, 06:26:38 AM »
Love the "no significant financial needs" argument, too. Because living off your parents household income of $100K? Is no different than making $2M/year yourself and being 1 year closer to upping that to $10M+/year.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

DienerTime34

• All American
« Reply #163 on: October 08, 2015, 07:14:27 AM »
We really need to redirect this conversation back to the fact someone is worried we have THREE first-round NBA draft picks on the team THIS YEAR.

I guess that would be like reverse Hiroshima, because that would be the bomb.

WarriorInNYC

• All American
« Reply #164 on: October 08, 2015, 07:24:18 AM »
Love the "no significant financial needs" argument, too. Because living off your parents household income of $100K? Is no different than making $2M/year yourself and being 1 year closer to upping that to $10M+/year.

There's a big difference and you know what he's getting at.  Quite a lot of players that turn into lottery picks have families that are quite poor and need the financial assistance.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #165 on: October 08, 2015, 09:17:15 AM »
There's a big difference and you know what he's getting at.  Quite a lot of players that turn into lottery picks have families that are quite poor and need the financial assistance.

Of course he knows. He's just being disingenuous so he can "win" his argument.

wadesworld isn't commenting on why Barnes, Sullinger and Jones all agreed to delay that sure $2 million with the promise of being one year closer to $10 million. I wonder if he also KNEW they were "gowne."

Look, I make no claims to know what's going on inside Ellenson's head. He very well could leave after one year. But those who think it's a done deal while providing no proof of inside knowledge and while also completely ignoring the MANY recent examples of highly touted (many MORE highly touted than Henry) kids who stayed for two years ... well, we know what they are full of. And it's not just disningenuousness!

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #166 on: October 08, 2015, 09:21:50 AM »
Of course he knows. He's just being disingenuous so he can "win" his argument.

wadesworld isn't commenting on why Barnes, Sullinger and Jones all agreed to delay that sure $2 million with the promise of being one year closer to $10 million. I wonder if he also KNEW they were "gowne."

Look, I make no claims to know what's going on inside Ellenson's head. He very well could leave after one year. But those who think it's a done deal while providing no proof of inside knowledge and while also completely ignoring the MANY recent examples of highly touted (many MORE highly touted than Henry) kids who stayed for two years ... well, we know what they are full of. And it's not just disningenuousness!

In other words, HE has factors that mitigate why he might not simply be a "one and done."  I don't think anyone can disagree with that.  I *think* he will be a one and done, but I don't know how much he...

...enjoys being in school
...enjoys playing with his brother
...has his parents telling him that the NBA can wait.

Making a prediction and then dying on that hill is a little silly. 

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #167 on: October 08, 2015, 09:29:11 AM »
He gowne.

Did he transfer? Or do you mean he's good enough to declare at the end of the season? Because we all agree about that.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #168 on: October 08, 2015, 09:38:30 AM »
Did he transfer? Or do you mean he's good enough to declare at the end of the season? Because we all agree about that.

Yeah, he transferred.

He heard freshman can't put up numbers unless they're at UK, so he's actually enrolled there now.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #169 on: October 08, 2015, 09:46:48 AM »

In other words, HE has factors that mitigate why he might not simply be a "one and done."  I don't think anyone can disagree with that.  I *think* he will be a one and done, but I don't know how much he...

...enjoys being in school
...enjoys playing with his brother
...has his parents telling him that the NBA can wait.

Making a prediction and then dying on that hill is a little silly.

Exactly.

I make no predictions. I didn't even vote in our silly poll. I simply allow for the possibility -- the very real possibility -- that he could make the same decision many other recent prep stars did and stay for two years.

To some, even allowing for that possibility is "wrong."

Those folks have boxed themselves in now. They might consider themselves the biggest Marquette fans in the world but they will be rooting for Henry to leave so they can say, "I told you so."

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #170 on: October 08, 2015, 09:52:08 AM »
Exactly.

I make no predictions. I didn't even vote in our silly poll. I simply allow for the possibility -- the very real possibility -- that he could make the same decision many other recent prep stars did and stay for two years.

To some, even allowing for that possibility is "wrong."

Those folks have boxed themselves in now. They might consider themselves the biggest Marquette fans in the world but they will be rooting for Henry to leave so they can say, "I told you so."

Nope.  I'll be rooting for Henry to leave because the only reason he doesn't leave is if he has some kind of major injury this year, and that would not be good for anyone.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #171 on: October 08, 2015, 10:16:04 AM »
Seriously, the kid has not played one game yet, and everybody has him gone.  Lets see if he can take MU to the NCAA tournament much less be a .500 team in conference.  After the year is over, might be the time to bring this up.  It is one thing to be a one and done player, it is another to stay in the league 10-12 years.
For every Jimmy Butler, there is 10 kids who are in Europe or Asia, after 2 year stint.  The money is so good in the NBA, it would be wiser to stay a couple of years and mature as a person.
                                                                                           zz

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #172 on: October 08, 2015, 10:18:12 AM »
Seriously, the kid has not played one game yet, and everybody has him gone.  Lets see if he can take MU to the NCAA tournament much less be a .500 team in conference.  After the year is over, might be the time to bring this up.  It is one thing to be a one and done player, it is another to stay in the league 10-12 years.
For every Jimmy Butler, there is 10 kids who are in Europe or Asia, after 2 year stint.  The money is so good in the NBA, it would be wiser to stay a couple of years and mature as a person.
                                                                                           zz

Yeah.  Just ask Dominic James how that worked out for him.

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #173 on: October 08, 2015, 10:21:41 AM »
I for one hope & believe that HE will be in a position to choose to enter NBA draft -- should he want to do that.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #174 on: October 08, 2015, 10:31:08 AM »
Yeah.  Just ask Dominic James how that worked out for him.

yes, he would have been out of the league at 20, hard to say if that would be better for him or not.