[Today at 03:29:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Poll

How many years do you think Henry Ellenson will play at Marquette?

One and done
63 (27.5%)
Two and through
142 (62%)
Three or more
24 (10.5%)

Total Members Voted: 226

Voting closed: November 10, 2015, 01:15:08 PM

Author Topic: Ellenson: One and Done or not?  (Read 113594 times)

PGsHeroes32

• All American
Re: Ellenson: One and Done or not?
« Reply #25 on: August 13, 2015, 07:53:03 AM »
Haven't looked at the poll results but anyone who votes 3 or more has some high grade meth on hand.

Legit a 0% chance he stays 3.

I'm just hoping he's a big fan of playing with Wally and stays 2.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #26 on: August 13, 2015, 08:18:48 AM »
The Association is all about the playa's second contract. Just ax Butler or Crowder. If you're a sure fire first round pick, you'd be nuts to stick around and give it the old college try. #5 could realize in excess of 8 mil. in his rookie contract if the team extends his qualifyin' offer. He gone, ai na?

I think you probably have unrealistic expectations of Sandy Cohen.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Mobot

• Team Captain
« Reply #27 on: August 13, 2015, 08:33:33 AM »
I am not sure how long he will stay but I have some high grade meth on hand so I voted 3 or more.

dgies9156

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 13, 2015, 09:53:39 AM »
Can we please just enjoy this season first?  Seriously, I can already see this board living in fear of Henry leaving after 1 year that we don't even enjoy what is in front of us. 

+1000
'
The next Hiroshima on this board is Henry leaving.

Who knows, other than Henry, his family and his advisors? Here's hoping he gets a degree at Marquette and he's with us long enough to get his degree, play for us and enjoy us as much as we expect to  enjoy him.

Ardmore Mug

• All American
« Reply #29 on: August 13, 2015, 10:11:49 AM »
I think if Wally leaves MU and goes for the Olympics, Hank goes, but if Wally sticks around I can easily see the Ellenson bros together for one more year.

No Need for Wally to LEAVE for the  Olympics, as the High Jump competition will be done by August 16th...

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #30 on: August 13, 2015, 10:34:42 AM »
Henry could get hurt for the season and still get drafted in the first round. How he plays almost doesn't matter in this decision. Henry has the potential to go in the first round, that is a given. The decision will come down to whether or not Henry wants to stay in college. Which believe it or not, happens. Let the kid enjoy his first year and hopefully its enough to make him want to stay all four!
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #31 on: August 13, 2015, 10:49:35 PM »
The decision will come down to whether or not Henry wants to stay in college. Which believe it or not, happens.

Exactly. For all the 1-and-done talk around Kentucky, even a lot of THOSE kids stick around for a second season.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 14, 2015, 05:51:28 PM »

+1000
'
The next Hiroshima on this board is Henry leaving.

Who knows, other than Henry, his family and his advisors? Here's hoping he gets a degree at Marquette and he's with us long enough to get his degree, play for us and enjoy us as much as we expect to  enjoy him.

Why?  Everyone knows in their head that he's a one-and-done. You can't teach height, and a decent 7 footer from a top conference is a lottery pick almost every time. He would have to perform well below reasonable expectations not to be a lottery pick.

Yes, there are a handful of hopeless romantics that toy with the idea that "he wants to play with his brother" or "he'll have so much fun he'll stay four years."  Fine--the're voting with their heart, not their head.

I suspect, however, that the majority of "two and through" votes are from the typical sandbagging MU fans who mentally set lower expectations to avoid their own disappointment should the team (or in this case Henry) fail to meet what everyone knows are reasonable expectations.

brandx

« Reply #33 on: August 14, 2015, 06:57:07 PM »
Why?  Everyone knows in their head that he's a one-and-done. You can't teach height, and a decent 7 footer from a top conference is a lottery pick almost every time. He would have to perform well below reasonable expectations not to be a lottery pick.

Yes, there are a handful of hopeless romantics that toy with the idea that "he wants to play with his brother" or "he'll have so much fun he'll stay four years."  Fine--the're voting with their heart, not their head.

I suspect, however, that the majority of "two and through" votes are from the typical sandbagging MU fans who mentally set lower expectations to avoid their own disappointment should the team (or in this case Henry) fail to meet what everyone knows are reasonable expectations.

Kyle Singler was a 4 year guy at Duke and  he was rated higher than Ellenson coming out of HS.

A concensus top 5 guy in a great year with guys like Rose, Love, Harden, Gordon, Mayo, Beasley, Bayless, Koufos, Hickson, Hummel, Deandre Jordan, Dujuan Blair, Chandler Parsons, evan Turner, Jeff Teague, etc. Good scorer, passer, and rebounder who could handle the ball like Ellenson.

So you never know.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 07:07:06 PM by brandx »

Class71

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 14, 2015, 08:12:24 PM »
what the f#ck is the point of this thread?

No point at all. We have a long season to play. At this point it is far to early to speculate on something no one knows the answer. Time to move on.
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 14, 2015, 08:15:17 PM »
What's wrong with speculating on whether or not the highest level recruit that Marquette has signed in decades could be a one and done?

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #36 on: August 14, 2015, 08:34:38 PM »
What's wrong with speculating on whether or not the highest level recruit that Marquette has signed in decades could be a one and done?

The guy has played a grand total of 30 minutes of collegiate ball against a team from Iceland. There is essentially no empiricism for this discussion - not the least of which is that no one here has any relevant insight into the mind of Henry Ellenson.

This is the proverbial how many angels can dance on the head of a pin conversation...pure mental masturbation.

Death on call

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 14, 2015, 08:44:21 PM »
The guy has played a grand total of 30 minutes of collegiate ball against a team from Iceland. There is essentially no empiricism for this discussion - not the least of which is that no one here has any relevant insight into the mind of Henry Ellenson.

This is the proverbial how many angels can dance on the head of a pin conversation...pure mental masturbation.

It's speculation on a fan board.  That's pretty much what it is.

And you don't like the topic, don't participate.  No one cares either way.

Class71

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 14, 2015, 09:08:12 PM »

Concur with your summary but apparently our expectations are to high.  We need to
⛵⛵⛵⛵⛵

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #39 on: August 14, 2015, 09:11:10 PM »

This is pretty much where I'm at, but I was curious to see where fan expectations are at. Rather surprised so many think he'll be her more than two years.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

DegenerateDish

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 14, 2015, 10:20:36 PM »
I'm not sure of much, but am 100% sure he is one and done.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 14, 2015, 10:48:00 PM »

I am not a hopeless romantic. I don't even know if Henry's brother will stick around 2 more years. I absolutely never said he'd stay for 4 years (and I don't know anybody on Scoop who seriously has said that). I haven't voted in this poll.

I am not a "typical sandbagging MU fan who sets lower expectations to avoid my own disappointment." Marquette basketball is not my end-all and be-all. I'd much rather us win than lose, but I don't base my self-worth on the outcome of sporting events.

I am not "predicting" anything regarding Henry. My gut says 2 years, but I have zero zero zero inside knowledge, and I acknowledge that maybe that's my hopeful side kicking in.

I just don't see why it is so outrageous that Henry could enjoy the college experience enough that he'd want to stick around for one more year. Stuff like that does happen. Echoing brand, Kyle Singler was the No. 4 recruit in his class, No. 1 at his position. He wasn't even a 3-and-done -- and he averaged 13 points and 6 rebs as a freshman!!

Those who say they "know" Henry is a 1-and-done are full of shyte unless they are personal friends with Henry or his family. I certainly allow that he might very well be a 1-and-done, but I don't pretend to be certain about any of this.

Why do I get the feeling I'll be writing a version of this about 100 times between now and next March?

Oh, for the simple days of Derrick vs. Dawson!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #42 on: August 14, 2015, 11:17:58 PM »
I think Henry will be with us all 4 years. He is going to have a tough time adjusting to the physical play in the Big East in the first year. He will have bright moments but it will be clear to all that he should stay.  His improvement on both ends of the court will continue on a steady progression the next 3 years after. The team will also be steadily improving with him. Should be a fun four years.

Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #43 on: August 14, 2015, 11:27:47 PM »
I think it comes down to this:

Is he a one and done because of his potential?: Yes, absolutely

Does that mean he will actually go to the NBA after one season?: No
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #44 on: August 15, 2015, 01:48:39 AM »

It's speculation on a fan board.  That's pretty much what it is.

And you don't like the topic, don't participate.  No one cares either way.

You obviously do because:

A. You replied

B. You are second only to Chico in terms of activity

Death on call

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 15, 2015, 11:47:45 AM »
I think Henry will be with us all 4 years. He is going to have a tough time adjusting to the physical play in the Big East in the first year. He will have bright moments but it will be clear to all that he should stay.  His improvement on both ends of the court will continue on a steady progression the next 3 years after. The team will also be steadily improving with him. Should be a fun four years.

Really, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

ChitownSpaceForRent

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 15, 2015, 12:47:33 PM »
He gone.

Lighthouse 84

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 15, 2015, 01:01:48 PM »
He gone.
Based on how he looks today you'd think so.
HILLTOP SENIOR SURVEY from 1984 Yearbook: 
Favorite Drinking Establishment:

1. The Avalanche.              7. Major Goolsby's.
2. The Gym.                      8. Park Avenue.
3. The Ardmore.                 9. Mugrack.
4. O'Donohues.                 10. Lighthouse.
5. O'Pagets.
6. Hagerty's.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 15, 2015, 01:35:49 PM »
So do we still think he's a 6 and 3 guy this season here or...?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

MomofMUltiples

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 15, 2015, 03:12:41 PM »
Could be a Cody Zeller/Kaminsky situation where, if this team really gels by the end of the season he sticks around to try for a National Championship next year.  But my gut says he'll get paid next year.
I mean, OK, maybe he's secretly a serial killer who's pulled the wool over our eyes with his good deeds and smooth jumper - Pakuni (on Markus Howard)