[Today at 03:29:22 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Pakuni
[Today at 03:28:48 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by The Sultan of Semantics
[Today at 03:24:51 PM]

Where is Marquette? by Uncle Rico
[Today at 03:05:12 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Extra practices update  (Read 17308 times)

Brewtown Andy

• All American
    • Anonymous Eagle
Re: Extra practices update
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2015, 01:50:53 AM »
I think he can be in the travel party, just can't play (or have his passport, if a new one is needed, paid for by the school, etc)..

As a transfer, he's not eligible to play, so therefore, he's not allowed to travel with the team at all.  Not to Europe, not to MSG for the tournament, not even to DePaul for a road game.
Twitter - @brewtownandy
Anonymous Eagle

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2015, 06:31:13 PM »
As a transfer, he's not eligible to play, so therefore, he's not allowed to travel with the team at all.  Not to Europe, not to MSG for the tournament, not even to DePaul for a road game.

I said I believe he could be in the travel party. I believe you are mistaken.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2015, 09:08:41 PM »

I have zero knowledge of these rules but I remember Wade could practice with the team at home but could not even get on the bus to the airport. But he was a partial qualifier and not a transfer so this observation is irrelevant. But if Rowsey happened to be a partial qualifier and it was 15 years ago then this comment would have meaning.

Death on call

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #28 on: August 04, 2015, 09:38:53 PM »
I have zero knowledge of these rules but I remember Wade could practice with the team at home but could not even get on the bus to the airport. But he was a partial qualifier and not a transfer so this observation is irrelevant. But if Rowsey happened to be a partial qualifier and it was 15 years ago then this comment would have meaning.

You're speaking on rules from a long time ago, as you note.

As an example, the U of Minnesota SAYS they will have their transfers on their trip to Spain. Not able to practice in the 10 practices prior to the trip... not able to play.. but they are traveling to Spain with the team and travel party to watch and go on site-seeing trips, etc.

Intriguing issue here. If** Rowsey could, maybe it's a $ issue.... maybe something more interesting.

awilhelmscream

• Starter
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2015, 10:16:06 PM »

I'm pretty positive travel with the team is disallowed as well.  I remember watching most road games during Mo Acker's year he had to sit out and he was at the Annex with a group of friends watching with the rest of us.  I asked him about it once and he specifically said he wasn't allowed to travel.  That being said, maybe the rules are different for these overseas trips?

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #30 on: August 04, 2015, 11:52:26 PM »

So, you're also saying you believe Wojo is wrong?

https://twitter.com/steve_wojo/status/614087885214613504

Wojo Era

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2015, 12:10:50 AM »

g0lden3agle

• All American
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2015, 06:35:42 AM »

Mazos Burger sighting on the first reply there

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2015, 06:58:05 AM »
Mazos Burger sighting on the first reply there
Pimping Sonoran Salsa to Wojo during #askWOJO.

His twitter feed is like reading the politics board without the self righteous indignation -- it takes 3 reads to figure out what he's trying to say, then you laugh at it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2015, 07:27:07 AM »
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/320702791.html

Matty V's latest.    Wally looking good, but not surprisingly, there are growing pains.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2015, 07:30:47 AM »
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/320702791.html

Matty V's latest.    Wally looking good, but not surprisingly, there are growing pains.   

Yep.  And I like that the report is very honest about that.  It looks as though its going to be Carter / Cheatham at point, and that Duane will be off the ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2015, 07:44:21 AM »

Yep.  And I like that the report is very honest about that.  It looks as though its going to be Carter / Cheatham at point, and that Duane will be off the ball.

Which will create quite a backlog at the 2-3.
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2015, 07:51:12 AM »
Which will create quite a backlog at the 2-3.

Well you have ten players, which if you went by the traditional positions, means you have a starter and a back up at each.

5: Fischer / Heldt
4: Henry / Anim
2/3: Duane / JJJ/ Cohen / Wally
1: Carter / Cheatham

Of course the reality is that these are fluid.  So even though Sacar has been playing at the 4, my guess is that Wally or Sandy might see some time backing up Henry there.

In the end, a couple players aren't going to be playing all that much as the season goes on.  It happens pretty much every year.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2015, 07:55:35 AM »
I agree that Sandy or Wally ends up seeing minutes at the 4.    I see Duane playing about 28 mpg at the 2, leaving 52 minutes split 3 ways at the 2-3. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2015, 08:05:13 AM »
I agree that Sandy or Wally ends up seeing minutes at the 4.    I see Duane playing about 28 mpg at the 2, leaving 52 minutes split 3 ways at the 2-3. 

OK let me play the minute game here:

Fischer (30) - Starting post
Henry (30) - Starting forward
Duane (28) - Starting guard, spot minutes at point
JJJ (24) - Starting guard
Carter (20) - Starting point
Wally (18) - Back up at forward and guard
Sandy (18) - Back up at forward and guard
Haanif (12) - Back up point...hopefully
Sacar (10) - Miscellaneous minutes at guard and forward
Heldt (10) - Back up post

tower912

• All American
« Reply #40 on: August 05, 2015, 08:11:55 AM »
I agree in principle.    Not by more than a couple minutes either way.  I would argue that Wally or Sandy will start in front of JJJ, but if JJJ has put a few pounds of muscle and smoothed out his jumper, then he wins.  And I suspect that we may see Heldt and Fischer on the court at the same time a few minutes a game depending on matchups.    But that is hair-splitting.     

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #41 on: August 05, 2015, 08:36:43 AM »
And I suspect that we may see Heldt and Fischer on the court at the same time a few minutes a game depending on matchups.

I think it would have to be the exact right matchup for that to happen. Those two would only be slightly more mobile than the Gardner/Otule experiment.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #42 on: August 05, 2015, 08:58:15 AM »
Looking at individuals, Wally Ellenson performed well after missing the first week of practice due to illness. He knocked down a couple corner three's, adjusted well on a drive to deposit a layup and used his speed and elite leaping ability to close down the gap on a fast break foil a dunk attempt with a foul that nearly was a clean chasedown block. The shooting guard displayed good ball-handling skills and showed a solid motor on defense.

Man, I keep forgetting about Wally!

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #43 on: August 05, 2015, 09:04:25 AM »

Depends on how you interpret it. If Wojo saying Rowsey "can't make the trip" means he can't play and MU can't pay for his passport, etc, so he's not going, then he's correct. If Wojo saying Rowsey "can't make the trip" means he is barred from traveling overseas and watching all the games along with the travel party, then I believe he is wrong.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #44 on: August 05, 2015, 09:05:36 AM »
It's going to be a hell of a battle at the 3.  JjJ, Sandy and Wally all in the mix.  It'll make 'em all better.  Agree with others that the development at PG may determine how far our boys can go.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2015, 09:06:27 AM »
So is the team doing some independent study work for credit on this trip?  If so, can Rowsey be a part of that and make the trip under those circumstances?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2015, 09:22:00 AM »
So is the team doing some independent study work for credit on this trip?  If so, can Rowsey be a part of that and make the trip under those circumstances?

You raise an interesting point.  Summer session #2 ends this week.  I'm sure the entire team is wrapping up classes right now.  Perfect timing to head overseas.  Wonder when they fly out?

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2015, 09:31:10 AM »
I agree in principle.    Not by more than a couple minutes either way.  I would argue that Wally or Sandy will start in front of JJJ, but if JJJ has put a few pounds of muscle and smoothed out his jumper, then he wins.  And I suspect that we may see Heldt and Fischer on the court at the same time a few minutes a game depending on matchups.    But that is hair-splitting.   

I'll bet that all three will be given an opportunity to start during non-con.  May the best man win.  Once that gets figured out, back-up minutes will be determined by remaining skill set.  I see JJJ as the least likely to get #4 minutes.  It'll be fun to watch them grow......hopefully.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #48 on: August 05, 2015, 01:20:57 PM »
I just think JJJ is going to be a lot better this year.  Despite all the "mind games" nonsense, he was never considering leaving and apparently really bought into the off-season program.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #49 on: August 05, 2015, 02:29:42 PM »
I simply expect more consistency out of JJJ and Duane, which will mean a pretty big improvement from those 2.  I still expect him to struggle with the outside shot, but I think he'll take better shots like most upper classmen do.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

feedback