Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 01:02:54 AM]

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Extra practices update  (Read 17309 times)

tower912

• All American
Extra practices update
« on: August 01, 2015, 12:03:53 PM »
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/golden-eagles-take-advantage-of-extra-practices-b99548175z1-320358111.html

....because ostensibly, this is still a board that talks about MU basketball.
Cheatham getting time at the point.
Amin getting time at the 4, apparently because he has a more sturdy frame.
Wojo thrilled with the timing of getting the extra practice.
Carter learning the difference between HS and college.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
Re: Extra practices update
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2015, 12:34:37 PM »
http://www.jsonline.com/sports/goldeneagles/golden-eagles-take-advantage-of-extra-practices-b99548175z1-320358111.html

....because ostensibly, this is still a board that talks about MU basketball.
Cheatham getting time at the point.
Amin getting time at the 4, apparently because he has a more sturdy frame.
Wojo thrilled with the timing of getting the extra practice.
Carter learning the difference between HS and college.
"Teams are allowed to take foreign trips once every four years" - i'm stunned that G'Town brawl in China was 4 years ago but it was.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2015, 03:59:05 PM »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 04:14:03 PM »
http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/320352651.html?ipad=y 

More practice notes.   
Thanks for being the surrogate auto feed for Matt's articles.  LOVE the depth of his coverage and the universally positive signs from the early practices.

GoldenWarrior11

• All American
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2015, 05:09:45 PM »
Marquette expects to open the Big East season at home, but it might not be as part of a New Year's Eve marathon as the conference has done each of the past two years. The Golden Eagles anticipate their conference opener will be on Dec. 30, not Dec. 31. That change could be due to the College Football Playoff, which will hold its semifinals and draw a lot of television viewership on Dec. 31.

As much as I loved the NYE Big East marathon, this is probably for the best.  It would be foolish for the league and FOX to try and compete against the CFP.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2015, 06:35:30 PM »
Matty's V description of Sacar makes me think of a shorter Jamil Wilson. Long, athletic and can defend the 1-4.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2015, 06:56:28 PM »
My favorite thing in the article is that JjJ has improved his outside jump. Of course he could only get better
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2015, 07:43:24 PM »
Apparently, the position of his elbow on his jumper has been changed as well as his follow through.

bradley center bat

• All American
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2015, 07:46:24 PM »
Marquette expects to open the Big East season at home, but it might not be as part of a New Year's Eve marathon as the conference has done each of the past two years. The Golden Eagles anticipate their conference opener will be on Dec. 30, not Dec. 31. That change could be due to the College Football Playoff, which will hold its semifinals and draw a lot of television viewership on Dec. 31.

As much as I loved the NYE Big East marathon, this is probably for the best.  It would be foolish for the league and FOX to try and compete against the CFP.
Correct. The B1G on ESPN2 moved it's games to Dec.30 last season.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2015, 11:01:20 PM »
Matt does such a great job with his articles they are content rich. I am delighted to see Luke is back in action. I thought it would take much longer to rehab from his surgery. My guess is they probably did a lot of PT prior to the surgery building up the muscles around shoulder and working the non injured side to keep in shape. A healthy Luke gives us significant upside. I saw Sandy working out in the Al around early May and he looked like he had made significant progress strength wise.  Good news to hear that JJJ is working on his form. I think he is poised for a breakout season. He went through a lot last season and ended on an up trend. Duane is going to be our leader this year in many ways. This Italy trip and practices are coming at a very good time for the program.

Glad to hear the freshman are all working hard. There will be a learning curve for all of them, even Henry. My hope is that by the second half of the Big East Schedule they are all contributing and progressing.

Wally is going to be an exciting addition , lets hope during his year off he refined his overall game. If he could give us some productive intensity off the bench it would be a big plus factor.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2015, 11:18:13 PM »
What Luke healthy?  HE practicing in spite of his high school hand injury?  How can this be?  Weren't we doomed?  Wasn't the sky supposed to fall on this season?
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #11 on: August 01, 2015, 11:43:08 PM »
Jay Bee, from what you saw, can Amin handle the physicality of playing spot minutes at the 4?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2015, 09:31:19 AM »
Jay Bee, from what you saw, can Amin handle the physicality of playing spot minutes at the 4?

He's strong, but not tall and big enough to stop big PF's on the block.

Just depends on the match ups.. I suppose a little bit.. and certainly in nonconf... but, anything more than spot minutes would concern me.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2015, 10:10:19 AM »
Jon Rothstein ‏@JonRothstein  2h2 hours ago
A great thing about Marquette's foreign tour? Staff will be able to see how Ellenson/Fischer mesh up front. Can they guard skilled 4's?
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2015, 10:58:16 AM »
He's strong, but not tall and big enough to stop big PF's on the block.

Just depends on the match ups.. I suppose a little bit.. and certainly in nonconf... but, anything more than spot minutes would concern me.

Personally, my hope is that maybe Cohen can take those minutes once conference play rolls around. He does look bulked up and if he can play 10-15 minutes at the 4 it would allow Hank some time to rest.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2015, 11:33:27 AM »
Surprised nobody picked up on the bit about pace of play.  24 sec shot clock in practice, no violations, and the offense looked smooth???  Looks like we're gonna run some this year and I love it
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

mu03eng

• All American
    • Scrambled Eggs Podcast
« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2015, 11:34:33 AM »
Luke was shying away from a lot of contact last year, if he really is healthy this season he will be an absolute beast this year
"A Plan? Oh man, I hate plans. That means were gonna have to do stuff. Can't we just have a strategy......or a mission statement."

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2015, 02:26:16 PM »
Surprised nobody picked up on the bit about pace of play.  24 sec shot clock in practice, no violations, and the offense looked smooth???  Looks like we're gonna run some this year and I love it

Excellent catch, and good prep work by the staff. I have a feeling teams that are accustomed to running fast will be ahead of the game to start this season. Teams like BYU, UNC, and Iowa State that usually have their foot on the gas won't have the same shot clock worries that some other teams already struggled with at times even with a 35-second clock. The first couple months especially will likely be a big adjustment.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #18 on: August 03, 2015, 08:02:59 AM »
I fully expect that the first option backing up at the power forward spot will be Matt Heldt.  I think all that is going on with Sacar is developing more options in case of injury or for instances where Wojo chooses to play small.  Also, after Luke, HE and Matt there's no fourth big to play that spot when the team scrimmages.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2015, 08:04:43 AM by LittleWade »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 01:41:38 PM »
Thanks for being the surrogate auto feed for Matt's articles.  LOVE the depth of his coverage and the universally positive signs from the early practices.

Indeed.  And we'll get the auto feed back soon...

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #20 on: August 03, 2015, 01:58:25 PM »
Is Rowsey able to play on the trip? Guessing not..
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #21 on: August 03, 2015, 01:59:51 PM »
Is Rowsey able to play on the trip? Guessing not..

Can't even go on the trip
Maigh Eo for Sam

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #22 on: August 03, 2015, 02:03:50 PM »

That is what I thought. Thanks for confirming.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2015, 06:17:30 PM »

They will not ever be able to play on the 31st at home, because the Globe Trotters always play a game in the afternoon and the evening on the 31st.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2015, 08:00:00 PM »

I think he can be in the travel party, just can't play (or have his passport, if a new one is needed, paid for by the school, etc)..

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

feedback