[Today at 08:17:02 PM]

2024 Mock Drafts by bilsu
[Today at 07:37:34 PM]

Big East 2024 Offseason by Herman Cain
[Today at 05:04:53 PM]

NIL Future by MU82
[Today at 03:21:43 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: The long cold summer

Marquette
Marquette

Open Practice

Date/Time: Oct 11, 2024 ???
TV: NA
Schedule for 2023-24
27-10

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8431587 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Recruiting as of 8/15/16
« Reply #3100 on: August 23, 2016, 05:03:40 PM »
I hope we can win over Theo John,in my mind he'd be a great fit. They say hes all about bball
and we are the school for that.
He has an excellent work ethic.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #3101 on: August 23, 2016, 09:45:35 PM »
You and 82 must be an aspiring version of the Chicos and Lenny love affair.   :o

The difference is that brewski and I actually like each other and agree far more than we disagree.

We're allowed to have a little spat on stuff every now and then. Every couple does!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3102 on: August 23, 2016, 11:18:25 PM »
The difference is that brewski and I actually like each other and agree far more than we disagree.

We're allowed to have a little spat on stuff every now and then. Every couple does!

:-*  ;D
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #3103 on: August 24, 2016, 12:01:41 AM »
Who you kickin' out?

Wojo gets paid the big money to figure that out. Odds are likely someone will want to transfer/grad transfer.

Sure, kick out guys who committed to MU and whom Wojo evidently considered valuable after he's seen them for at least a year, (the Wally situation shows that Wojo doesn't keep dead weight just to fill his scholarships), just so you can have all the bright shiny things that you've set you eyes on.  Unfrickin' believable.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3104 on: August 24, 2016, 11:30:22 AM »
Sure, kick out guys who committed to MU and whom Wojo evidently considered valuable after he's seen them for at least a year, (the Wally situation shows that Wojo doesn't keep dead weight just to fill his scholarships), just so you can have all the bright shiny things that you've set you eyes on.  Unfrickin' believable.
This analysis is contorted.

On the one hand, yes, loyalty is important and valued. I am in the camp that favors reciprocal loyalty.

On the other hand College Sports is a competitive enterprise  and when it has been convenient for Wojo and Co to let a kid go they have obviously been more than willing to do that , Wally was a recent example, We had STjr  asked to leave before that and obviously Gabe Levin( who I wish we still had) was recruited over by Henry (clearly Henry>Gabe so no one questioned that fancy new object).

Clearly there are going to 3-4 unhappy campers at the end of this coming season. As there simply won't be enough playing time to go around.

For a theoretical example, do you really think Rowsey will stick around if he ends up getting 12 minutes a game, after being a 20 ppg guy at a mid major? Or how about the inverse? What if Rowsey turns out to be a stud and Traci continues to progress, do you think Markus Howard will sit and wait till he is a junior to get meaningful playing time at the 1? Sacar, Duane , Sandy scenarios abound as well.

Hence, this is why I say it is up to Wojo to figure out the situation.  In the meantime go with the Dallas Cowboys approach and recruit the best available athletes. We have a shot at 4 quality guys with size and athleticism/ethic.

« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 11:36:44 AM by Marquette Fan In NY »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

barfolomew

• All American
« Reply #3105 on: August 24, 2016, 12:02:53 PM »
Coming Attractions...

September 1  Theo John
September 9   Hasahn French
September 16 Jamal Cain
September 23 Xavier Tillman

Lets hope we can bring them all on board.

Tillman, now 75 on the latest ESPN100 list, does not have MU in his list of schools, according to the ol' Worldwide Leader.
Someone tell Wojo to cross him off.

Relationes Incrementum Victoria

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3106 on: August 24, 2016, 12:39:23 PM »

On the one hand, yes, loyalty is important and valued. I am in the camp that favors reciprocal loyalty.

On the other hand College Sports is a competitive enterprise  and when it has been convenient for Wojo and Co to let a kid go they have obviously been more than willing to do that , Wally was a recent example, We had STjr  asked to leave before that and obviously Gabe Levin( who I wish we still had) was recruited over by Henry (clearly Henry>Gabe so no one questioned that fancy new object).

Clearly there are going to 3-4 unhappy campers at the end of this coming season. As there simply won't be enough playing time to go around.

For a theoretical example, do you really think Rowsey will stick around if he ends up getting 12 minutes a game, after being a 20 ppg guy at a mid major? Or how about the inverse? What if Rowsey turns out to be a stud and Traci continues to progress, do you think Markus Howard will sit and wait till he is a junior to get meaningful playing time at the 1? Sacar, Duane , Sandy scenarios abound as well.

Hence, this is why I say it is up to Wojo to figure out the situation.  In the meantime go with the Dallas Cowboys approach and recruit the best available athletes. We have a shot at 4 quality guys with size and athleticism/ethic.

Of course you have HARD evidence to back that statement up.   ::)

tower912

• All American
« Reply #3107 on: August 24, 2016, 01:12:46 PM »
Tillman, now 75 on the latest ESPN100 list, does not have MU in his list of schools, according to the ol' Worldwide Leader.
Someone tell Wojo to cross him off.

http://highschoolsports.mlive.com/news/article/-8574645572528495742/tom-izzo-john-beilein-check-top-talent-like-xavier-tillman-at-annual-tourney-in-grand-rapids/

As of a few weeks ago, XT is quoted as saying MSU, Marquette, Purdue, and Florida.   ESPN with another example of their anti-Big East bias. ;)
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #3108 on: August 24, 2016, 01:13:21 PM »

The beginning of any analysis starts with getting the facts right.  Steve Taylor, Jr. was not asked to leave, he left of his own accord which, in fact, put MU in a precarious situation inside for Wojo's second season as he would most likely have been the primary backup for both Ellenson and Fischer.  If anyone was recruited over when Henry Ellenson was recruited, it was him, not Gabe Levin.  Gabe also left of his own accord reportedly over missing his girlfriend on the west coast where he transferred back to.

Talking about contorted analysis, on one hand you say that you wish the team still had Gabe Levin, yet you applaud that players like him get "recruited over"?

MU has four scholarships available for the 2017-2018 year and you want to use all of them plus one for a total of five on inside players (Eke and the four you for whom say "bring 'em all on board").  Incidently, only one of those five is rated higher than Eric Williams was.  Do you even remember him? Yet, you want let go of another player to make room for all five.  Have you heard of the concept of roster balance?  Have you even thought of the ramifications for 2018-2019 recruiting?  With so many inside players, do we tell Jalen Smith and Joey Hauser; "No thanks, we're good".  Of course, you'd say, we just take them and dump the two least talented of this year's five inside recruits.  Do you realize that 2018 recruits will be watching this while they are being recruited, I hope.  Maybe we cut Sam Hauser to make room for Joey?

What I found most objectionable about your post is the completely naive idea that anyone who is a highly rated recruit must be better than who the team already has, so let's just dump the guiys you were in love with last year for a new batch of guys whose YouTube videos have set your heart ablase.

Your posts also exhibit a lack of realism about what is possible in a highly competitive recruiting marketplace.  Wojo is not bringing in these four recruits with any hope or even wish to get them all.  He is bring in the four of them because he knows that he must have a minimum of four to have any realistic possiblity of getting any two of them which we undoubtedly make him quite happy.  Just not you.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 01:29:18 PM by 4everCrean »
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #3109 on: August 24, 2016, 01:17:32 PM »
Wojo has not oversigned in any of his classes so far....doubt he will do so now.

If somebody leaves you deal with it in the Spring.....or bank it for 2018.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2016, 02:22:12 PM by MuMark »

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3110 on: August 24, 2016, 04:24:19 PM »
The beginning of any analysis starts with getting the facts right.  Steve Taylor, Jr. was not asked to leave, he left of his own accord which, in fact, put MU in a precarious situation inside for Wojo's second season as he would most likely have been the primary backup for both Ellenson and Fischer.  If anyone was recruited over when Henry Ellenson was recruited, it was him, not Gabe Levin.  Gabe also left of his own accord reportedly over missing his girlfriend on the west coast where he transferred back to.

Talking about contorted analysis, on one hand you say that you wish the team still had Gabe Levin, yet you applaud that players like him get "recruited over"?

MU has four scholarships available for the 2017-2018 year and you want to use all of them plus one for a total of five on inside players (Eke and the four you for whom say "bring 'em all on board").  Incidently, only one of those five is rated higher than Eric Williams was.  Do you even remember him? Yet, you want let go of another player to make room for all five.  Have you heard of the concept of roster balance?  Have you even thought of the ramifications for 2018-2019 recruiting?  With so many inside players, do we tell Jalen Smith and Joey Hauser; "No thanks, we're good".  Of course, you'd say, we just take them and dump the two least talented of this year's five inside recruits.  Do you realize that 2018 recruits will be watching this while they are being recruited, I hope.  Maybe we cut Sam Hauser to make room for Joey?

What I found most objectionable about your post is the completely naive idea that anyone who is a highly rated recruit must be better than who the team already has, so let's just dump the guiys you were in love with last year for a new batch of guys whose YouTube videos have set your heart ablase.

Your posts also exhibit a lack of realism about what is possible in a highly competitive recruiting marketplace.  Wojo is not bringing in these four recruits with any hope or even wish to get them all.  He is bring in the four of them because he knows that he must have a minimum of four to have any realistic possiblity of getting any two of them which we undoubtedly make him quite happy.  Just not you.
STjr leaving was a two way street. It was reported as such.

The Gabe Levin Henry reference was meant to be in teal which I dont know how to use.

I never said I would not be happy with getting less than all four.  I am fully aware that you need to bring in multiple recruits to get one.

As far as distorted rosters go look at ours. We have exactly 2 real big men.

I think the point your making about future years is recruits is  good and I applaud it. The problem is Wojo in practice has ignored that posture. That is why we continue to have log jams of players at the 2 and 3 position. For example ,Look at the 3 right now today. We have JJJ, Katin Reinhardt, Sam Hauser, Sandy and Sacar.

What I am saying is Wojo is more than willing to recruit over kids and then throw kids out when it fits his needs. I know it is an ugly analysis because people are anti Todd Mayo, but that is what happened to Todd Mayo when Carlino came along.

So if that is what Wojo wants to operate  then  go ahead sign the 4  kids up and deal with the problem it creates later. It is pretty much business as usual for Wojo. 
                       ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3111 on: August 24, 2016, 04:26:45 PM »

The Gabe Levin Henry reference was meant to be in teal which I dont know how to use.

I never said I would not be happy with getting less than all four.  I am fully aware that you need to bring in multiple recruits to get one.

I think the point your making about future years is recruits is  good and I applaud it. The problem is Wojo in practice has ignored that posture. That is why we continue to have log jams of players at the 2 and 3 position. For example ,Look at the 3 right now today. We have JJJ, Katin Reinhardt, Sam Hauser, Sandy and Sacar.

What I am saying is Wojo is more than willing to recruit over kids and then throw kids out when it fits his needs. I know it is an ugly analysis because people are anti Todd Mayo, but that is what happened to Todd Mayo when Carlino came along.

So if that is what Wojo wants to operate  then  go ahead sign the 4  kids up and deal with the problem it creates later. It is pretty much business as usual for Wojo.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You should seriously consider having at least one iota of a clue as to what happens in the situations you're talking about before you post on here.  You literally have no credibility if you believe the stuff you post.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #3112 on: August 24, 2016, 04:55:25 PM »
;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

You should seriously consider having at least one iota of a clue as to what happens in the situations you're talking about before you post on here.  You literally have no credibility if you believe the stuff you post.

I continue to believe his posts are performance art.

No one with the sense of a door post thinks Todd Mayo was "recruited over".
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #3113 on: August 24, 2016, 05:01:37 PM »
First of all, it's...

[color=teal.]Text you want in teal [/color.] But leave out the periods at the end.

If you ever wonder "how did someone format their text like that?" just quote their post and look at how they did it.

Second of all, Todd had every chance, every chance to keep his roster spot. If not for Buzz, he wouldn't have made it to his sophomore year much less had a chance to complete his eligibility. Wojo gave Todd a chance and Todd elected to do his own thing. Wojo didn't have the same history with Todd that Buzz did so he didn't go to the same lengths to keep him around. Had Todd played ball, he would have been able to stick around, Carlino or no Carlino.
This space reserved for a 2024 2025 National Championship celebration banner.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #3114 on: August 24, 2016, 05:05:26 PM »

I spoke to stj personally...and you are wrong.  There isn't a nice way to put this...99% of what you post is ridiculous.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3115 on: August 24, 2016, 05:08:34 PM »
First of all, it's...

[color=teal.]Text you want in teal [/color.] But leave out the periods at the end.

If you ever wonder "how did someone format their text like that?" just quote their post and look at how they did it.

Second of all, Todd had every chance, every chance to keep his roster spot. If not for Buzz, he wouldn't have made it to his sophomore year much less had a chance to complete his eligibility. Wojo gave Todd a chance and Todd elected to do his own thing. Wojo didn't have the same history with Todd that Buzz did so he didn't go to the same lengths to keep him around. Had Todd played ball, he would have been able to stick around, Carlino or no Carlino.
Thanks
                       ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #3116 on: August 24, 2016, 05:38:10 PM »
MUFNY,

I don't post things as certainties very often. I always lead things with "I assume" or "I think" or "In my opinion". I even call out others for posting opinions as fact. Even when I have a source I usually say "I think" just in case that person is mistaken.

All that being said, you are 100%, absolutely, dead wrong about STJ and Todd Mayo. Not even close. Whoever you're source is, drop him/her. They are lying to you.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3117 on: August 24, 2016, 05:42:52 PM »
I spoke to stj personally...and you are wrong.  There isn't a nice way to put this...99% of what you post is ridiculous.
I spoke to both parties personally. There was a mutual agreement . That is what I meant by a two way street. 
                       ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3118 on: August 24, 2016, 05:58:23 PM »
Interesting that Wojo gave Toddler and Walter opportunities to stay on the team if they would commit themselves fully to the work that the rest of the players on the team were expected to commit themselves to in the offseason.  Neither were willing to do so so they were gone.  I, for one, consider that to be a good sign.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #3119 on: August 24, 2016, 06:32:10 PM »
I spoke to both parties personally. There was a mutual agreement . That is what I meant by a two way street.

Bullsh1t. 

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #3120 on: August 24, 2016, 06:33:44 PM »

Yep.  And
MUFNY,

I don't post things as certainties very often. I always lead things with "I assume" or "I think" or "In my opinion". I even call out others for posting opinions as fact. Even when I have a source I usually say "I think" just in case that person is mistaken.

All that being said, you are 100%, absolutely, dead wrong about STJ and Todd Mayo. Not even close. Whoever you're source is, drop him/her. They are lying to you.
[/quote
MUFNY,

Yep.

Now, back to recruiting.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #3121 on: August 24, 2016, 07:44:56 PM »
MUFNY,

Noted. I will take better care to qualify my posts.
                       ---Al McGuire

Golden Avalanche

• All American
« Reply #3122 on: August 25, 2016, 09:56:32 AM »

Fan fiction conjured entirely in your head.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #3123 on: August 25, 2016, 09:59:40 AM »

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #3124 on: August 25, 2016, 10:19:03 AM »
New ESPN rankings out for 2018. Herro 25, Hauser 36.

http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/playerrankings/_/class/2018/order/true

Reverse those 2 and move Joey up a little and I'd be cool with them.

feedback