[Today at 01:04:10 PM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Uncle Rico
[Today at 01:03:27 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8337487 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 7/15/16
« Reply #2650 on: July 28, 2016, 06:39:53 PM »
FWIW, another 'expert' on 24/7 picks Terrence Lewis to MU.

FWIW ... It's worth nada. Cristal vowel is a mostly a marketing toy

MM has TH to AZ after an offer. That's not unique/inside info. Just a guess based on very public info. Yaaaawnnn

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #2651 on: July 28, 2016, 08:48:18 PM »

MM has TH to AZ after an offer. That's not unique/inside info. Just a guess based on very public info. Yaaaawnnn

FWIWIWN?

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #2652 on: July 28, 2016, 08:49:24 PM »
Go back and look. Hell, people are still disappointed with Tom Crean for how badly he was beaten in the Final Four.
Not disappointed in the FF loss.............VERY disappointed in the karate outfit.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #2653 on: July 29, 2016, 06:56:28 AM »

Mark Miller gets much of his information on Marquette recruits from either talking to people close to the recruits, especially the instate kids, or from information from assistant coaches at the D1, D2 and D3 level who he's known for years.  Some of these coaches are either recruiting the student athlete or have assistant coaching friends who are recruiting these players.

He admits it's a fun exercise and that it shouldn't be considered gospel.  I wouldn't get worked up with it.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 09:52:08 AM by TedBaxter »
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2654 on: July 29, 2016, 07:26:51 AM »
I think Wojo is a solid recruiter, on par with TC & Buzz.  I do not see why anyone would call him Outstanding. 

He's brought in a bunch of Top 100s (that's our new normal post 2000) and Henry.  I think we all can say Henry is a special circumstance given his brother + being a "local" kid.  He has swung and missed on a number of transformational grad transfers who would have changed our expectations of Seasons 2 & 3.  He seems to have struck gold with Howard but it's super early.

His 1st 2017 Commit is 3 star PF (Which I am fine with as you need to build depth).

I do not see anything extrordinary here, but rather a very solid job.  If he starts bringing in multiple Top 40s a year, then the Outstanding tag fits.

Wasn't Markus Howard a likely all American if he had stayed?
Maigh Eo for Sam

Galway Eagle

• All American
« Reply #2655 on: July 29, 2016, 07:30:01 AM »
Go back and look. Hell, people are still disappointed with Tom Crean for how badly he was beaten in the Final Four.

I think it's not about people expecting us to win those games or are saying we should always be a national contender but it's about expecting us to be competitive. The Elite 8 game really stings because we knew we could beat Cuse but instead we looked like a Cinderella team whose magic had run out. Same goes for the sweet 16 game against UNC in 2011 and I imagine that it's the same feeling against Kansas in the Final Four.
Maigh Eo for Sam

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2656 on: July 29, 2016, 08:12:22 AM »

There are bright spots in disappointing seasons (like last year and the year before) and there are usually a disappointing performance or two even in the best of years.

That is NOT the same as being disappointed with the year on balance. You're wrong to conflate the two.

The Lens

• All American
« Reply #2657 on: July 29, 2016, 08:31:08 AM »
Wasn't Markus Howard a likely all American if he had stayed?

Maybe, as it is we have him playing a year younger each year he's at MU.  Maybe it won't matter.

What my main point is though is I feel like Wojo is recruiting to MU's normal level.  Not above it (outstanding) and not below it (disappointing).  He's a solid recruiter.
The Teal Train has left the station and Lens is day drinking in the bar car.    ---- Dr. Blackheart

History is so valuable if you have the humility to learn from it.    ---- Shaka Smart

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2658 on: July 29, 2016, 09:42:56 AM »
There are bright spots in disappointing seasons (like last year and the year before) and there are usually a disappointing performance or two even in the best of years.

That is NOT the same as being disappointed with the year on balance. You're wrong to conflate the two.

Go back to the original comment. It was talking about how coaching success should be based on fan expectations. People to this day still trash crean and Buzz despite them being the two most successful MU coaches since Al. That is the point I was making. My comment about being disappointed about every season but 1977 was an obvious overexaggeration to get the point across. A more accurate one would have been every coach since Al has disappointed according to many fans' expectations.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 11:00:52 AM by TAMU Eagle »
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

SaveOD238

• All American
« Reply #2659 on: July 29, 2016, 11:05:46 AM »
I think it's not about people expecting us to win those games or are saying we should always be a national contender but it's about expecting us to be competitive. The Elite 8 game really stings because we knew we could beat Cuse but instead we looked like a Cinderella team whose magic had run out. Same goes for the sweet 16 game against UNC in 2011 and I imagine that it's the same feeling against Kansas in the Final Four.

You're right about that Elite 8 game, especially after how we plastered Miami.  But I think both 2011 and 2003 were seasons in which we exceeded expectations in March.   In 2011 we finished 11th in our conference and pulled two upsets to reach the Sweet 16.  That was a helluva coaching job, then the magic ran out against a really good UNC squad.

2012 and 2009 were much bigger disappointments to me than 2011.  In 2012 the path to the F4 was wide open after Mizzou lost, but we didn't know what to do with Florida's size.  In 2009 the James injury ruined a potential Final Four season (but you can't blame coaching for that one)

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2660 on: July 29, 2016, 11:13:06 AM »
Guys please.  Folks (including me) like reading this thread because it provides updates on our recruiting effort, something many of us are interested in.  I implore you to take your discussions about this season vs. that or this coach vs. that somewhere else.  I really want to limit it tweets about kids or discussions about this HS guy vs. that or how many PFs should we sign, etc. 

Please, I'm not trying to spoil anyone's fun OR break the all time post record.  I can't say it any nicer.  Thanks again.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #2661 on: July 29, 2016, 11:24:16 AM »
Now that I think of it, it reminds of our final season game against Butler last year. I felt very confident going into that game, since we (Henry) handled them very well in Milwaukee.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2662 on: July 29, 2016, 12:05:16 PM »
The good news: Hasahn French cut his list and Marquette is still on it.

The bad news: He "cut" his list to 13 schools. Not sure how that's a cut. Also in the mix: Providence, Seton Hall, St John's, Minnesota, UNLV, Georgia Tech, Arizona State, USC, UMass, St Louis, Temple, and VCU.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2663 on: July 29, 2016, 12:05:35 PM »
Guys please.  Folks (including me) like reading this thread because it provides updates on our recruiting effort, something many of us are interested in.  I implore you to take your discussions about this season vs. that or this coach vs. that somewhere else.  I really want to limit it tweets about kids or discussions about this HS guy vs. that or how many PFs should we sign, etc. 

Please, I'm not trying to spoil anyone's fun OR break the all time post record.  I can't say it any nicer.  Thanks again.

Aw, glow ... life's not worth livin' now that we blew it on Kostas. I mean, there ARE no other recruits!

(Seriously, I will not post about anything but recruiting on this thread from here on in. BELIEVE ME!)
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #2664 on: July 29, 2016, 03:53:15 PM »

The bad news: He "cut" his list to 13 schools. Not sure how that's a cut. Also in the mix: Providence, Seton Hall, St John's, Minnesota, UNLV, Georgia Tech, Arizona State, USC, UMass, St Louis, Temple, and VCU.

Meh, got other much better guys were heavily in on.
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2665 on: July 30, 2016, 09:16:30 AM »

Crazy.  Must really enjoy the recruiting process.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2666 on: July 30, 2016, 06:36:57 PM »
Aw, glow ... life's not worth livin' now that we blew it on Kostas. I mean, there ARE no other recruits!

(Seriously, I will not post about anything but recruiting on this thread from here on in. BELIEVE ME!)
I am very keen on us signing Mr. French.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Badgerhoney

• Walk-On
« Reply #2667 on: July 31, 2016, 10:45:28 AM »
Herro to Wisconsin or Arizona

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2668 on: July 31, 2016, 12:10:18 PM »

...as he plans his trip to Vanderbilt and continues visiting Marquette every weekend he's not playing.

Herro to Arizona or a team that had yet to offer.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #2669 on: July 31, 2016, 12:26:52 PM »

This is some pretty thoughtful analysis. He must be one of the country's best recruiting experts with inside information others don't have. Outstanding post.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #2670 on: July 31, 2016, 12:38:02 PM »
This is some pretty thoughtful analysis. He must be one of the country's best recruiting experts with inside information others don't have. Outstanding post.

I think the "Honey" in the name is a Clue.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Marcus92

• All American
« Reply #2671 on: July 31, 2016, 12:47:13 PM »
I think the "Honey" in the name is a Clue.

You know the old saying:

You can catch more badgers with honey than with vinegar.
"Let's get a green drink!" Famous last words

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #2672 on: July 31, 2016, 12:59:02 PM »
You know the old saying:

You can catch more badgers with honey than with vinegar.

Right you are.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

4everwarriors

• All American
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

feedback