'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

45 minutes ago at the Dallas Westin by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:19:24 AM]

2024 Coaching Carousel by Plaque Lives Matter!
[Today at 12:10:57 AM]

2024 Transfer Portal by CountryRoads
[Today at 12:05:42 AM]

Are we still recruiting anyone for the 24-25 season. by Don_Kojis
[Today at 12:04:21 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by MuggsyB
[Today at 12:01:08 AM]

Where is Marquette? by marqfan22
[March 28, 2024, 09:29:52 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Daniel
[March 28, 2024, 08:47:22 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8339166 times)

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 7/15/16
« Reply #2600 on: July 27, 2016, 05:10:07 PM »
Failure should NEVER be based on fan expectations. They are irrational, shortsighted, and always want more. Marquette has failed every season expect 1977 according to fan expectations.
We play in a much tougher league than the slow ball big ten.

LAZER

• All American
« Reply #2601 on: July 27, 2016, 06:39:40 PM »
Failure should NEVER be based on fan expectations. They are irrational, shortsighted, and always want more. Marquette has failed every season expect 1977 according to fan expectations.
I've never met a Marquette fan that expects to win a NC every year.

avid1010

• All American
« Reply #2602 on: July 27, 2016, 06:43:14 PM »
my boy willie warrior...or is he gone silent after trump beat his boy cruz. 

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #2603 on: July 27, 2016, 06:54:34 PM »
Is Arizona more blue blood then Madison, I think the Badgers beat them twice in the tournament the last few years.  There always good at AZ, but fringe blue blood
in my estimation.

Why does this concern MU and concern this thread?
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Atticus

• All American
« Reply #2604 on: July 27, 2016, 07:46:49 PM »
Madison has been highly successful since 1999, pretty much invisible before then.  No NC, but some nice FF runs.

Arizona has been highly successful since 1985, pretty much invisible before then.  Plus AZ has a few FFs and a NC to show for it.

If either is a blue blood, it would be AZ...but I still don't consider them in the same category as UK, KU, UNC or Duke.

I think the idea that the measurement of a "blue blood" should be determined by NCAAT success is an antiquated model. Sure, the best h.s. Kids would like to win a championship during their 8 month stay in college but securing a position in the first round of the NBA draft is way more important to them.

With the new age limit rule, the best barometer for blue blood status might be a programs ability to get UNDERCLASSMEN into the FIRST round of the NBA draft. Thats what the top kids care about.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 07:48:58 PM by Atticus »

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2605 on: July 27, 2016, 07:47:54 PM »

Yep - I know literally hundreds of fans from the era when being ranked in the top 10 was a given and every single one of them accepts the fact that it"s not going to happen again. Buzz's level of success was more than acceptable by pretty much every MU fan I know or have heard of not named Willie or Chico.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2606 on: July 27, 2016, 08:18:13 PM »

Yet if you read the threads from the end of each season you see plenty of people expressing how unacceptable our performance was the past year
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2607 on: July 27, 2016, 08:35:29 PM »
Yet if you read the threads from the end of each season you see plenty of people expressing how unacceptable our performance was the past year

So in your world being disappointed with 8-10 conference record, no NCAA or NIT and a Pomeroy ranking of around 100 is the same as being disappointed with being the NCAA runner-up. LOL

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2608 on: July 27, 2016, 08:47:16 PM »
Yep - I know literally hundreds of fans from the era when being ranked in the top 10 was a given and every single one of them accepts the fact that it"s not going to happen again. Buzz's level of success was more than acceptable by pretty much every MU fan I know or have heard of not named Willie or Chico.
I had a hard time accepting anything less than Al's level of success. What was more impressive than the wins or losses in that era was the fear we struck into the hearts of the our opponents.   Unfortunately, The Crean/Buzz era  made me think the glory days were within reach again. Not only were we winning but we were getting that swagger back.  So that is why I am disappointed at the performance of Wojo who so far is an inverse Mike Dean (Good recruiter/ weak game coach). I feel our program needs to eventually find an up and coming  experienced head coach , who can recruit and  who also understands how important it is to actually win. Someone like Steve Masiello for example who has gotten the job done at a place with zero resources. 
« Last Edit: July 27, 2016, 09:08:57 PM by Marquette Fan In NY »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Frenns Liquor Depot

• All American
« Reply #2609 on: July 27, 2016, 08:49:13 PM »
I don't ask for much - just that we are a more reliable March program than the Daytons of the world.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #2610 on: July 27, 2016, 09:50:14 PM »
All I want is our name in the top 25. 25th? Great!

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2611 on: July 27, 2016, 11:28:19 PM »
So in your world being disappointed with 8-10 conference record, no NCAA or NIT and a Pomeroy ranking of around 100 is the same as being disappointed with being the NCAA runner-up. LOL

I said every season. Including the elite 8 season, final four season, etc.
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2612 on: July 28, 2016, 06:24:01 AM »
The Cal Board says Theo John visiting MU second week of September . Scroll down their lively board  to get to the post.

http://bearinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?101282-cal-s-monster-class-deux/page44
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2613 on: July 28, 2016, 06:31:44 AM »
The Cal Board says Theo John visiting MU second week of September . Scroll down their lively board  to get to the post.

http://bearinsider.com/forums/showthread.php?101282-cal-s-monster-class-deux/page44

Good news.  Everyone says John is top notch.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #2614 on: July 28, 2016, 08:16:45 AM »
my boy willie warrior...or is he gone silent after trump beat his boy cruz.

More likely after his pro-pedophilia comments
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

fjm

• All American
« Reply #2615 on: July 28, 2016, 08:48:05 AM »
That was an interesting thread... Especially when the Cal members started saying Theo John is going to have a "Broke azz life"

Sooo I would recommend Theo comes to MU.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2616 on: July 28, 2016, 09:01:18 AM »
That was an interesting thread... Especially when the Cal members started saying Theo John is going to have a "Broke azz life"

Sooo I would recommend Theo comes to MU.

I understand that Cal is a great school, but are these jokers serious?  Grades mean nothing when it comes to a student athlete getting into Cal.  If you're eligible to play at Arizona you're eligible to play at Cal.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #2617 on: July 28, 2016, 09:08:50 AM »
I understand that Cal is a great school, but are these jokers serious?  Grades mean nothing when it comes to a student athlete getting into Cal.  If you're eligible to play at Arizona you're eligible to play at Cal.

There is nothing wrong with Cal except you get no exposure in this area, rarely on TV, barely know they are alive in the Pac 10.    But a good school for Packer players,
Ted must like going out there in winter!

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2618 on: July 28, 2016, 09:12:30 AM »

Cal totally cares about its athletes getting a good education.

Among the 72 programs in six major college football conferences, the Cal football team had the worst graduation rate, according to NCAA statistics released Thursday.

According to the NCAA’s Graduation Success Rates, only 44 percent of football players who enrolled at UC Berkeley between 2003 and 2007 graduated within six years. This put Cal nine points below USC, which had the second-worst graduation rate in the Pac-12.

The football team’s embarrassment was shared by the men’s basketball team, which finished with a 38 percent graduation rate, also lowest in the Pac-12.

http://www.dailycal.org/2013/10/28/despite-improvement-mind-cal-football-teams-graduation-rates-fall-national-lows/

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2619 on: July 28, 2016, 09:27:49 AM »

Among the 72 programs in six major college football conferences, the Cal football team had the worst graduation rate, according to NCAA statistics released Thursday.

According to the NCAA’s Graduation Success Rates, only 44 percent of football players who enrolled at UC Berkeley between 2003 and 2007 graduated within six years. This put Cal nine points below USC, which had the second-worst graduation rate in the Pac-12.

The football team’s embarrassment was shared by the men’s basketball team, which finished with a 38 percent graduation rate, also lowest in the Pac-12.

http://www.dailycal.org/2013/10/28/despite-improvement-mind-cal-football-teams-graduation-rates-fall-national-lows/

Haha that's great.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #2620 on: July 28, 2016, 09:28:22 AM »

The school is to hard for the athletes, competing against top 5% of every class has to be hard!

JWags85

• All American
« Reply #2621 on: July 28, 2016, 09:39:04 AM »
Cal's only rival may be UNC in terms of disconnect between academic caliber of school and athlete academics.  Maybe UT.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2622 on: July 28, 2016, 10:02:11 AM »
I feel our program needs to eventually find an up and coming  experienced head coach , who can recruit and  who also understands how important it is to actually win.

Have you ever thought that, as he gains experience, Wojo will be "an up and coming experienced head coach"? The list of coaches who had to grow into their first major job after early struggles is long -- and filled with some of the greatest names in the history of the sport.

Also, are you actually saying that Wojo -- who was known for his intensity as a Duke player and who went on to be K's lead assistant -- does not understand how important it is to actually win?

Come on, MF, we know you don't like Wojo, but you can do better than this.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MilWarrior

• Team Captain
« Reply #2623 on: July 28, 2016, 10:19:59 AM »
I had a hard time accepting anything less than Al's level of success. What was more impressive than the wins or losses in that era was the fear we struck into the hearts of the our opponents.   Unfortunately, The Crean/Buzz era  made me think the glory days were within reach again. Not only were we winning but we were getting that swagger back.  So that is why I am disappointed at the performance of Wojo who so far is an inverse Mike Dean (Good recruiter/ weak game coach). I feel our program needs to eventually find an up and coming  experienced head coach , who can recruit and  who also understands how important it is to actually win. Someone like Steve Masiello for example who has gotten the job done at a place with zero resources.

Hold on. You peg Wojo as a good recruiter/weak game coach. Which I suppose is fair so far, even though one could argue that most of the in-game adjustments Wojo would try to employ over the last 2 years would be severely hampered by 1. overall talent level on the 14/15 roster and 2. extreme youth of the 15/16 roster. The jury is still out on his in-game abilities. And his recruiting so far has been nothing short of outstanding. His second class hasn't even seen the damn court yet, so again, the jury is out. But how could he possibly top what he's done so far? And the correct answer is not Kostas. 

My bigger problem is that you yearn for a return of the Crean/Buzz days in juxtaposition of your position that Wojo is a good recruiter and a weak in-game coach. No one ever accused Crean/Buzz of being gurus when it came to Xs and Os. In fact, that was always a consistent complaint from the fan base. And a valid one. Crean's best teams won because of either Wade/Jackson or the 3 Amigos. Not anything he drew up on the clipboard. Same can be said of Buzz (Butler, Crowder, Vander). You could argue that they were more fiery and better motivators than Wojo who were great at psycho-babble crap that would amp their players up and I would totally accept that.

The fact that you're already clamoring for a new coach clearly explains your total lack of perspective. Also - the last thing we need is someone like Steve Masiello. Someone who lies on his resume and gets fired for it most certainly has some ethical issues. Who is dumb enough to try to pull a stunt like that? Where there's smoke there's fire - if Masiello is willing to do that, who knows what other kind of crap he's pulling at Manhattan. By the way, you may be interested in knowing that Steve Masiello's Manhattan squad finished 13-18 last year in his 5th year as coach. Yeah - let's go get someone like him!

Sorry glow - I know this thread needs to stay on topic. I will not be replying. Thanks to everyone who is providing the great recruiting updates - even you MU Fan in NY.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #2624 on: July 28, 2016, 10:43:05 AM »
Cal's only rival may be UNC in terms of disconnect between academic caliber of school and athlete academics.  Maybe UT.

Or maybe, unlike UNC, at Cal the players actually have to write their own papers.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

feedback