[March 27, 2024, 10:24:36 PM]

UNLEASH THE POWER OF SCOOP!!! by TallTitan34
[March 27, 2024, 10:20:50 PM]

Best MU team since 1977 by Galway Eagle
[March 27, 2024, 09:47:04 PM]

Chicago bars for Fri game by Hallmarq
[March 27, 2024, 09:09:04 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8336183 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Recruiting as of 7/15/16
« Reply #2550 on: July 24, 2016, 04:26:47 PM »
It is permissible while their kid is participating in a certified event. Bylaw 13.1.6.2.1(b)

In women's basketball no communication is permissible during the July evaluation periods.
Next years NCAA calender

http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/June2016_DIMensBasketballCalendar_20160613.pdf
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2551 on: July 24, 2016, 04:40:16 PM »
See Billy's post as well, but to add a little more color.. events separate seating... so, coaches have their own entrance and own seating area. In recent years, media would get lumped in with the coaches... this year they need to be split apart when it comes to viewing games... that worked... eh.. pretty well. But, depending on the event and venue, things could get intermingled just a bit.

Parking lot conversations.. one thing to keep in mind is that the NCAA is out there.. I wouldn't push my luck if I were a coach. NCAA enforcement reps are around... They're not there to be rude, or be police, or 'catch' people doing bad things.. but, more to monitor the events -- to be certified, the event operators must follow various rules and regs..(including separate entrances, seating, etc. for coaches)... but the NCAA folks know the coaches.. if you're standing in the parking lot with a recruit laughing it up, it would be very easy to get spotted.. wouldn't be something you'd want to do.

PS --- D1 Minnesota 17's are on ESPNU shortly (3pm CT today).
Watched some of this game. I like that we made an early offer to Hurt. D1 Minnesota is loaded.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2552 on: July 24, 2016, 05:14:51 PM »
Was Race Thompson possibly playing at Homestead last weekend?

No. Was in Minnesota last weekend
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

VegasWarrior77

• All American
« Reply #2553 on: July 24, 2016, 08:18:56 PM »
Stan Johnson ‏@MUCoachJohnson  55m55 minutes ago Mequon, WI
Feels great to be back in Milwaukee
"Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe." Albert Einstein

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2554 on: July 24, 2016, 10:18:01 PM »
Stan Johnson ‏@MUCoachJohnson  55m55 minutes ago Mequon, WI
Feels great to be back in Milwaukee
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2555 on: July 24, 2016, 10:21:00 PM »
Hmmm ... sounds like code for him being ready to leave us for UWM. Or maybe MSOE.

Carroll University's women's position.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

CheesyMUfan4ever

• Scholarship Player
« Reply #2556 on: July 26, 2016, 09:28:20 AM »
Arizona State and Oregon offered Herro last night. Herro dominated in Vegas this past weekend. We really need him at Marquette to turn the corner and that is the bottom line. Heard all these coaches were out in Vegas watching him, but didn't hear there was Marquette presence at all his games. Hope we didn't give up on this kid.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2557 on: July 26, 2016, 09:32:13 AM »
Arizona State and Oregon offered Herro last night. Herro dominated in Vegas this past weekend. We really need him at Marquette to turn the corner and that is the bottom line. Heard all these coaches were out in Vegas watching him, but didn't hear there was Marquette presence at all his games. Hope we didn't give up on this kid.

Herro would be an outstanding get.  We don't need him to turn around the program, though.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2558 on: July 26, 2016, 09:33:20 AM »

Marquette was in Vegas and was at his games. All his games?  No idea.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2559 on: July 26, 2016, 10:22:56 AM »
I was at 3 of Herro's games. MU there for at least 2.

I will say, Becky seemed to be everywhere I went all week.

But, certainly saw a ton of MU as well.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #2560 on: July 26, 2016, 10:31:30 AM »

Herro would be an outstanding get.  We don't need him to turn around the program, though.

I completely agree, Wadesworld.  Herro would be a great get, but anointing him the next "savior recruit" is, well, cheesy.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2561 on: July 26, 2016, 10:40:35 AM »
It also leads to unnecessary angst.   MU just finished a season where we featured a 1-and-done/once in a generation freshman do-it-all power forward.   How did that season go?   With him gone, is there going to be another season?     I hope some are now appreciating the job Crean and Buzz did and how hard it is to stay at the top.   I would hope that we, as a fanbase, would stop assuming success and taking it for granted, realize that it is difficult, and be patient as Wojo builds his program his way.      Sure, Herro would be good get.    But his decision will not define MU basketball.   
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #2562 on: July 26, 2016, 10:40:50 AM »
I completely agree, Wadesworld.  Herro would be a great get, but anointing him the next "savior recruit" is, well, cheesy.

Rather have 2 bigs in 2017.  2018 is along way off.  He is not the next Jerry West.  Getting Hauser sustains the program, I think he is more important then
Herro.

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2563 on: July 26, 2016, 11:03:49 AM »

Exactly right. I'd love for us to land Hauser and Herro in 2018. Both are potentially five star recruits that could help immensely. But no one player defines a program. Individually, Henry was a bigger impact player on paper than anyone on Villanova. So does anyone think anyone associated with Nova would trade seasons with us?

For a program like ours, there are three main paths to success. First is the short term, JUCO and transfer heavy, quick fix route. It worked for Buzz, but is difficult to sustain. Second is the long term, build with four year players and supplement with transfers. That's Wojo's goal and has worked at places like Duke and Wisconsin, and was working pretty well here for Crean. Third is the Larry Brown/Bruce Pearl, cheat your ass off method. Don't think anyone is endorsing that.

Guys like Henry, Carlino, Reinhardt, and even possibly Joey Hauser or Tyler Herro (though not sure either is one and done) can help supplement a strong crop of developed players but no one will do it on their own. The make or break players in this type of system will be guys like Cheatham, Carter, Sam Hauser, Heldt, and others after they have mastered the system and play like veterans.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Bocephys

• All American
« Reply #2564 on: July 26, 2016, 12:00:36 PM »
It also leads to unnecessary angst.   MU just finished a season where we featured a 1-and-done/once in a generation freshman do-it-all power forward.   How did that season go?   With him gone, is there going to be another season?     I hope some are now appreciating the job Crean and Buzz did and how hard it is to stay at the top.   I would hope that we, as a fanbase, would stop assuming success and taking it for granted, realize that it is difficult, and be patient as Wojo builds his program his way.      Sure, Herro would be good get.    But his decision will not define MU basketball.

Yes, but only because of Henry will we have a season.  He saved the program until Herro can save it. 

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2565 on: July 26, 2016, 01:00:35 PM »

For a program like ours, there are three main paths to success. First is the short term, JUCO and transfer heavy, quick fix route. It worked for Buzz, but is difficult to sustain. Second is the long term, build with four year players and supplement with transfers. That's Wojo's goal and has worked at places like Duke and Wisconsin, and was working pretty well here for Crean. Third is the Larry Brown/Bruce Pearl, cheat your ass off method. Don't think anyone is endorsing that.

Buzz won a Big East regular season championship and made the Elite 8 with zero JCs - 90% of the points, 88% of the assists, and 85% of the rebounds came from high school players who spent 3 (Vander), 4 (Davante, Junior, Jamil) or more (Otule) years at Marquette.

Contrast that to Crean's only regular season champion (CUSA) and successful NCAA tournament team where almost half (48.4%) of the points, 38.7% of the rebounds and 34.2% of the assists came from a two year non qualifier and a one year transfer.

Buzz was (and is) a master at rebuilding on the fly, but he only had 1 one year transfer (Lockett) and 2 originally non qualifying jucos (Crowder and Buycks) who contributed to his success. The rest were high schoolers, a transfer with 3 years of eligibility (Jamil) and jucos (Butler, Fulce, DJO) who were qualifiers out of high school and had 3 years of eligibility at MU.

Crean had non qualifier, 2 and done Wade, one year transfer RJax and a boatload of two year transfers/jucos (Marcus Jackson, Lott, Kinsella, Fitz, Kinsella).

In just two years, Wojo has already brought in two one year transfers (and pursued countless others) and had a one and done high schooler.

In short, little difference between Buzz and his predecessor or his successor. He was just better at it.

tower912

• All American
« Reply #2566 on: July 26, 2016, 01:11:29 PM »
Can I get an 'Amen'?   Testify, Lenny. 
« Last Edit: July 26, 2016, 01:21:18 PM by tower912 »
Luke 6:45   ...A good man produces goodness from the good in his heart; an evil man produces evil out of his store of evil.   Each man speaks from his heart's abundance...

It is better to be fearless and cheerful than cheerless and fearful.

Silkk the Shaka

• All American
« Reply #2567 on: July 26, 2016, 01:15:15 PM »
Buzz won a Big East regular season championship and made the Elite 8 with zero JCs - 90% of the points, 88% of the assists, and 85% of the rebounds came from high school players who spent 3 (Vander), 4 (Davante, Junior, Jamil) or more (Otule) years at Marquette.

Contrast that to Crean's only regular season champion (CUSA) and successful NCAA tournament team where almost half (48.4%) of the points, 38.7% of the rebounds and 34.2% of the assists came from a two year non qualifier and a one year transfer.

Buzz was (and is) a master at rebuilding on the fly, but he only had 1 one year transfer (Lockett) and 2 originally non qualifying jucos (Crowder and Buycks) who contributed to his success. The rest were high schoolers, a transfer with 3 years of eligibility (Jamil) and jucos (Butler, Fulce, DJO) who were qualifiers out of high school and had 3 years of eligibility at MU.

Crean had non qualifier, 2 and done Wade, one year transfer RJax and a boatload of two year transfers/jucos (Marcus Jackson, Lott, Kinsella, Fitz, Kinsella).

In just two years, Wojo has already brought in two one year transfers (and pursued countless others) and had a one and done high schooler.

In short, little difference between Buzz and his predecessor or his successor. He was just better at it.

Damn, Lenny. Good stuff

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2568 on: July 26, 2016, 01:21:02 PM »
Who cares what types of players they did it with?  Stay out of trouble, keep your grades good enough to be eligible to play basketball, and win some basketball games.  Want to play for us for 1 year and take us to a national championship after 3 years playing elsewhere?  AWESOME!  Want to play here 1 year, win us a national title, and then leave us?  GREAT!

Bert and Thomas both thought they couldn't sustain the success they had previously had at Marquette.  One left for a better job, one left because administration finally told him, "No."  Both were successful.

Crean was an assistant that left to take over a new program when he came to Marquette.  He went 15-14 each of his first 2 seasons.  His 3rd year some guy named Dwyane Wade had fallen into his lap and became eligible.  He happens to be one of the best players to ever play the game.

Bert was left a cupboard that had 3 seniors who were 3 of the best players in Marquette's storied history.  He had also been in the program and recruiting for the Marquette program, unlike an assistant who leaves to take a new program and is starting with a clean slate.

Wojo will have success.  His seat is ice cold.  We will be back to where we belong soon enough.

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #2569 on: July 26, 2016, 02:03:38 PM »
Who cares what types of players they did it with?  Stay out of trouble, keep your grades good enough to be eligible to play basketball, and win some basketball games.  Want to play for us for 1 year and take us to a national championship after 3 years playing elsewhere?  AWESOME!  Want to play here 1 year, win us a national title, and then leave us?  GREAT!

No disagreement on this Wades. My point was that every good coach's primary concern is THIS year. (Tom Crean at Indiana was an exception - he consciously slow walked their inevitable rebuild because he thought it would cement his transparently bogus reputation as miracle worker). I just wanted to expose as myth the false (albeit popular) narrative some use either to denigrate one's accomplishments or excuse other's struggles.

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #2570 on: July 26, 2016, 03:41:48 PM »
Personally I'm tired of watching Wades argue with people. Swerving off of that road.

Who does everyone think our next commit is gonna be?

Tillman?
Theo?
Lewis?
Nwora?
French?
Lawrence?

These seem to be the 2017 priorities. I would bet on Tillman, Theo, or Lewis being the next to commit from this list but I have literally nothing to base that on. Discuss.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #2571 on: July 26, 2016, 03:42:09 PM »

Bert and Thomas both thought they couldn't sustain the success they had previously had at Marquette.  One left for a better job, one left because administration finally told him, "No."  Both were successful.

Crean was an assistant that left to take over a new program when he came to Marquette.  He went 15-14 each of his first 2 seasons.  His 3rd year some guy named Dwyane Wade had fallen into his lap and became eligible.  He happens to be one of the best players to ever play the game.

Bert was left a cupboard that had 3 seniors who were 3 of the best players in Marquette's storied history.  He had also been in the program and recruiting for the Marquette program, unlike an assistant who leaves to take a new program and is starting with a clean slate.

Wojo will have success.  His seat is ice cold.  We will be back to where we belong soon enough.
I would argue that Crean has not been successful at Indiana. He did build a team that was ranked No. 1 and also beat a great Kentucky team, so there has been some success. However, I define success by NCAA tournament wins. Given that Indiana was suppose to be such a big step up with great basketball tradition (after all "Its Indiana, its Indiana") Crean has failed immensely.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2572 on: July 26, 2016, 03:48:00 PM »
Personally I'm tired of watching Wades argue with people. Swerving off of that road.

Who does everyone think our next commit is gonna be?

Tillman?
Theo?
Lewis?
Nwora?
French?
Lawrence?

These seem to be the 2017 priorities. I would bet on Tillman, Theo, or Lewis being the next to commit from this list but I have literally nothing to base that on. Discuss.

The ignore button can fix that one for you.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2573 on: July 26, 2016, 03:49:56 PM »
I would argue that Crean has not been successful at Indiana. He did build a team that was ranked No. 1 and also beat a great Kentucky team, so there has been some success. However, I define success by NCAA tournament wins. Given that Indiana was suppose to be such a big step up with great basketball tradition (after all "Its Indiana, its Indiana") Crean has failed immensely.

Crean has been fine. He hasn't absolutely dominated the country and brought IU back to blue blood status, but he's brought them back to consistently good. I'd like Marquette to be where they are right now.

Stretchdeltsig

• All American
« Reply #2574 on: July 26, 2016, 06:25:25 PM »
Crean has been fine. He hasn't absolutely dominated the country and brought IU back to blue blood status, but he's brought them back to consistently good. I'd like Marquette to be where they are right now.

It's much easier for Crean to look good in the Big Ten than the brutal Big East.