[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8337261 times)

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
Re: Recruiting as of 6/15/16
« Reply #2175 on: June 29, 2016, 09:43:53 PM »
Theo John interviewed on Channel 5 tonight   16 offers so far.  6'9", 230, and pretty damned athletic.

He breaks up his daily workouts into 5 sessions every day. Kid's a gym rat.

We need him.
Theo is a high priority recruit for us.  This is the kind of tough hard working big we want as part of our team. 
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2176 on: June 29, 2016, 09:43:59 PM »
We hear all this griping about college athletes not going to class, not finishing school, not focusing on academics. Is it that terrible to offer a carrot for the kids that do graduate?

Sure, it can be abused, but most grad transfers are transferring down, not up. I see nothing wrong with providing a benefit to the guys that did the work in the classroom, since that's supposedly what this is all about anyway.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #2177 on: June 29, 2016, 09:46:59 PM »

YES AND THAT'S WHAT EVERYONE IS AFTER AND THAT IS THE ENTIRE PURPOSE OF THE RULE. IT'S COMPLETELY REASONABLE!!!!!!

We should make this discussion transfer and sit out in a different thread so we can all read about actual prospects for Marquette.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2178 on: June 29, 2016, 09:48:53 PM »
We hear all this griping about college athletes not going to class, not finishing school, not focusing on academics. Is it that terrible to offer a carrot for the kids that do graduate?

Sure, it can be abused, but most grad transfers are transferring down, not up. I see nothing wrong with providing a benefit to the guys that did the work in the classroom, since that's supposedly what this is all about anyway.

Why? Should we let guys with 3.8 GPAs transfer without sitting out a year as well? Why not?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2179 on: June 29, 2016, 09:50:57 PM »
If we make grad transfers sit out a year.. what is the concern?

Will kids not try as hard in school to get a degree?
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2180 on: June 29, 2016, 09:57:31 PM »

I agree with this and strongly, but respectfully, disagree with Jay Bee.

I'd lean toward making NO transfers have to sit out a year -- yes, I know -- anarchy would ensue! -- before I'd close the one "loophole" that benefits a kid who actually gets his degree.

The schools make big money. The coaches make big money. The conferences make big money. The TV networks make big money. The athletic directors make big money. The administrators make big money. Hell, even the refs make pretty darn good coin. Everybody but the athlete, who is the one responsible for the rest of them making the big money.

And yet some of us find the passion to get outraged when an athlete who actually is a student gets the benefit of this one rule? Wow.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #2181 on: June 29, 2016, 10:03:00 PM »
Nice. Never seen him play but everything I've read indicates he would be a great addition. Only 2 schools on that list truly scare me. Arizona (duh) and LSU (hometown advantage).

Western Kentucky has an assistant from Louisiana and could very well be a serious player.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2182 on: June 29, 2016, 10:07:00 PM »
Everyone should be able to transfer once without sitting a year in residence.  I am all for the grad transfer rule.  FIGHT THE POWER!!!

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2183 on: June 29, 2016, 10:08:46 PM »
Everyone should be able to transfer once without sitting a year in residence.  I am all for the grad transfer rule.  FIGHT THE POWER!!!

Or as we used to say at the MU Journalism school ... Comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable!

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #2184 on: June 29, 2016, 10:12:53 PM »

YES AND THAT'S WHAT EVERYONE IS AFTER AND THAT IS THE ENTIRE PURPOSE OF THE RULE. IT'S COMPLETELY REASONABLE!!!!!!

I've never known the definition of reasonable to include "that which can't be abused or taken advantage of".
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2185 on: June 29, 2016, 10:14:40 PM »
Why? Should we let guys with 3.8 GPAs transfer without sitting out a year as well?

Yes.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2186 on: June 29, 2016, 10:15:32 PM »

I'd lean toward making NO transfers have to sit out a year -- yes, I know -- anarchy would ensue! -- before I'd close the one "loophole" that benefits a kid who actually gets his degree.

I love anarchy.  College athletics could use more of it.  I'm cool.

BM1090

• All American
« Reply #2187 on: June 29, 2016, 10:18:41 PM »
Western Kentucky has an assistant from Louisiana and could very well be a serious player.

Agreed. I think if he doesn't go to WKU he will probably come here.

WKU got a commitment from a 2018 5* top 10 player today and is in the running for Malik Newman as well.

rocky_warrior

• Global Moderator
  • All American
« Reply #2188 on: June 29, 2016, 10:47:02 PM »

At the end of a school year?  As long as their in good standing academically?  Or just go anywhere anytime?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #2189 on: June 29, 2016, 10:54:51 PM »
Why?

Not sure what you didn't understand there. I'll try again, this time only including the parts that you already quoted that clearly and concisely answered your question before you asked it.

Is it that terrible to offer a carrot for the kids that do graduate?

I see nothing wrong with providing a benefit to the guys that did the work in the classroom, since that's supposedly what this is all about anyway.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #2190 on: June 30, 2016, 06:20:37 AM »

The schools make big money. The coaches make big money. The conferences make big money. The TV networks make big money. The athletic directors make big money. The administrators make big money. Hell, even the refs make pretty darn good coin. Everybody but the athlete, who is the one responsible for the rest of them making the big money.

And yet some of us find the passion to get outraged when an athlete who actually is a student gets the benefit of this one rule? Wow.

The athlete is getting an education worth north $200,000 ($50,237 per year at MU including room & board).  For most of us, that's "pretty good coin."  That doesn't include invaluable free coaching, training, nutrition, and other benefits.

Can we please stop with the nonsense that the poor little old athlete gets nothing in return.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #2191 on: June 30, 2016, 06:42:35 AM »
Guys, please start a grad transfer thread if you'd like to carry on the conversation further.  Please.  Thanks.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #2192 on: June 30, 2016, 07:25:42 AM »
Guys, please start a grad transfer thread if you'd like to carry on the conversation further.  Please.  Thanks.

Seconded
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2193 on: June 30, 2016, 08:36:30 AM »
The athlete is getting an education worth north $200,000 ($50,237 per year at MU including room & board).  For most of us, that's "pretty good coin."  That doesn't include invaluable free coaching, training, nutrition, and other benefits.

Can we please stop with the nonsense that the poor little old athlete gets nothing in return.

The violin player on full scholarship also gets this. So does the genius.

Either is free to transfer to another school without penalty ... even within the same conference. Either also can graduate early and go to any grad school on scholarship.

The "value of the scholarship" argument is a strawman.

This will be my last comment on this subject in this thread, so anybody else can have the last word here. glow is right ... this thread isn't the right forum for this discussion.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #2194 on: June 30, 2016, 01:34:06 PM »
The violin player on full scholarship also gets this. So does the genius.

Either is free to transfer to another school without penalty ... even within the same conference. Either also can graduate early and go to any grad school on scholarship.

The "value of the scholarship" argument is a strawman.

This will be my last comment on this subject in this thread, so anybody else can have the last word here. glow is right ... this thread isn't the right forum for this discussion.

Let's back up for a moment, shall we?  You said"
"The schools make big money. The coaches make big money. The conferences make big money. The TV networks make big money. The athletic directors make big money. The administrators make big money. Hell, even the refs make pretty darn good coin. Everybody but the athlete, who is the one responsible for the rest of them making the big money."

I pointed out that this is categorically and demonstrably false. The player gets something of significant value--specifically $200,000 worth of scholarships, room, board, etc. 

There is nothing wrong or unreasonable for a school--after giving away a $200,000 education to a player--to expect that player NOT take his intimate knowledge on his former team's operation to a program where that knowledge will cause direct economic harm.

The red herring you thew out are the violin player and the genius--red herrings because neither are in a position to cause direct harm once they leave in the same way a basketball player could.   

You don't have a Marquette versus Xavier violin contest, therefore, a transferring violin player won't cause any economic harm to his former school. 

You do harm Marquette when player transfers to Xavier and hands the Marquette playbook to his new coach, increasing the likelihood of tagging two (possibly three)losses on his former team--which might be the difference between a tournament bid and not, costing the program significantly in terms of tournament revenue, future attendance (tournament teams sell more tickets), television (tournament teams appear on TV more frequently), local media rights (tournament teams can get more for their media rights), etc.

Therefore, it is not unreasonable to ask the transferring Marquette player to go somewhere where hs insider knowledge has little to no chance of causing harm, and avoid going to programs where there is a significant chance it will cause harm.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2195 on: June 30, 2016, 01:52:41 PM »
I pointed out that this is categorically and demonstrably false. The player gets something of significant value--specifically $200,000 worth of scholarships, room, board, etc. 

There is nothing wrong or unreasonable for a school--after giving away a $200,000 education to a player--to expect that player NOT take his intimate knowledge on his former team's operation to a program where that knowledge will cause direct economic harm.

The red herring you thew out are the violin player and the genius--red herrings because neither are in a position to cause direct harm once they leave in the same way a basketball player could.   

You don't have a Marquette versus Xavier violin contest, therefore, a transferring violin player won't cause any economic harm to his former school. 

You do harm Marquette when player transfers to Xavier and hands the Marquette playbook to his new coach, increasing the likelihood of tagging two (possibly three)losses on his former team--which might be the difference between a tournament bid and not, costing the program significantly in terms of tournament revenue, future attendance (tournament teams sell more tickets), television (tournament teams appear on TV more frequently), local media rights (tournament teams can get more for their media rights), etc.

Therefore, it is not unreasonable to ask the transferring Marquette player to go somewhere where hs insider knowledge has little to no chance of causing harm, and avoid going to programs where there is a significant chance it will cause harm.

If you're a college coach, at any level, in any sport, and you can't come up with a gameplan based on your own scouting of a team you play two times every single year, then you shouldn't be getting paid to do that job.  If you need an incoming transfer to tell you "John Smith likes to pull up when he's going to his left" when you see John Smith twice a year, or, "When we're baseline out of bounds and set up like this we like to have Timmy here screen for Derrick to get a corner three and then dive to the hoop," you should be fired immediately.
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 01:54:38 PM by wadesworld »
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

KampusFoods

• All American
« Reply #2196 on: June 30, 2016, 02:10:33 PM »
If you're a college coach, at any level, in any sport, and you can't come up with a gameplan based on your own scouting of a team you play two times every single year, then you shouldn't be getting paid to do that job.  If you need an incoming transfer to tell you "John Smith likes to pull up when he's going to his left" when you see John Smith twice a year, or, "When we're baseline out of bounds and set up like this we like to have Timmy here screen for Derrick to get a corner three and then dive to the hoop," you should be fired immediately.

We'll give him that shot all day long, eh?

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #2197 on: June 30, 2016, 02:11:01 PM »

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2198 on: June 30, 2016, 02:32:20 PM »

I'd respond if this were in the new thread on this subject.

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #2199 on: June 30, 2016, 03:11:32 PM »

Do you really think college coaches are giving up one of their 13 scholarships just for the sake to getting the inside scoop on one other team's strategies?
I suspect Tom Izzo, Jay Wright, Jim Boeheim and, well, just about every other D1 coach, doesn't need much more than a day in the  video room to understand what other teams are trying to do. Like, what, you think Roy Williams needs to pick the brain of 19-year-old kid to understand Coach K's tendencies?
« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 03:14:11 PM by Pakuni »

feedback