[Today at 11:26:20 AM]

NC State by MUMountin
[Today at 11:25:44 AM]

2024 NCAA Tournament Thread by Uncle Rico
[Today at 11:15:58 AM]

Kam Jones 1st Round Mock - The Ringer by PGsHeroes32
[Today at 10:50:38 AM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8337202 times)

JakeBarnes

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 6/15/16
« Reply #2150 on: June 29, 2016, 01:45:35 PM »
I'd be surprised if we were influenced. Better chance with Bola.

What's with big 10 kids intraconfrence grad transferring? Would be the second one this year and 4th or 5th in the last three

better start policing those handshake lines.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2151 on: June 29, 2016, 03:40:08 PM »
Yah, its bizarre. You'd think the B10 would put an end to that as it could result in coaches recruiting other teams guys.  Seems assbackwards.

Why? Because some kid who is intelligent enough to graduate early actually might have a tiny advantage in a system that otherwise is tilted heavily against the student/athlete?

If you can graduate early, you deserve to be able to choose whatever landing spot you want. You shouldn't be legislated out of choosing where you want to go.

Just my 3 cents.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2152 on: June 29, 2016, 03:50:58 PM »
Why? Because some kid who is intelligent enough to graduate early actually might have a tiny advantage in a system that otherwise is tilted heavily against the student/athlete?

If you can graduate early, you deserve to be able to choose whatever landing spot you want. You shouldn't be legislated out of choosing where you want to go.

Just my 3 cents.

Because there are literally 345 other schools you could go to. 

Let's say a guy like JJJ decided to grad transfer this season, but decided to go to Creighton or Butler for his 4th season. So the school in Marquette that has invested a great deal of time and $ in JJJ for 3 years (generally 4 in the case of grad transfer) to develop that player, just so he can go a play for a conference rival his final season?

I think the Big East has it right on this rule.  It doesn't seem quite right.  I am not super passionate about it or anything, but asking the player to take his talents to another conference isn't too much to ask, IMO. The ACC, SEC, PAC 12, Big East or Big 12 have plenty of teams that White could go to.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

The Equalizer

• All American
« Reply #2153 on: June 29, 2016, 04:28:26 PM »

Let's say a guy like JJJ decided to grad transfer this season, but decided to go to Creighton or Butler for his 4th season. So the school in Marquette that has invested a great deal of time and $ in JJJ for 3 years (generally 4 in the case of grad transfer) to develop that player, just so he can go a play for a conference rival his final season?

I think the Big East has it right on this rule.  It doesn't seem quite right.  I am not super passionate about it or anything, but asking the player to take his talents to another conference isn't too much to ask, IMO. The ACC, SEC, PAC 12, Big East or Big 12 have plenty of teams that White could go to.

Not only is there the "rivalry" factor--the transferring player is taking the old coach's playbook, and first-hand scouting on every player on the roster far beyond what you can get from video. 

This not only affects the rivalry--it unnaturally upsets the competitive balance between the teams for up to 3 seasons.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #2154 on: June 29, 2016, 04:34:48 PM »

Just my 3 cents.

He didn't graduate early. He transferred from Kansas so he had another year to sit out and go,to school.

JakeBarnes

• All American
« Reply #2155 on: June 29, 2016, 04:39:43 PM »
Galen Alexander has Marquette in his Final 7. Said he will be visiting in the future. Kid is a 2017 SF that is 6'6", 215. #63 on the 247 Composite.
Assume what I say should be in teal if it doesn't pass the smell test for you.

MuMark

• All American

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #2157 on: June 29, 2016, 06:03:59 PM »

I believe that you are overlooking the rationale for the grad transfer rule.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2158 on: June 29, 2016, 06:26:38 PM »
I agree with 5J on this. I think eliminating intra-conference transfers is a common sense limitation.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2159 on: June 29, 2016, 06:56:12 PM »
https://twitter.com/_waterboyg/status/748262561678667777

Nice. Never seen him play but everything I've read indicates he would be a great addition. Only 2 schools on that list truly scare me. Arizona (duh) and LSU (hometown advantage).
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

real chili 83

• All American
« Reply #2160 on: June 29, 2016, 06:56:20 PM »
Theo John interviewed on Channel 5 tonight   16 offers so far.  6'9", 230, and pretty damned athletic.

He breaks up his daily workouts into 5 sessions every day. Kid's a gym rat.

We need him.

DUNKS45

• All American
  • never too old
« Reply #2161 on: June 29, 2016, 07:23:20 PM »
good work Real.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2162 on: June 29, 2016, 07:31:59 PM »
Intraconference - schools still have the power, in form. So, no need to debate it. Exercise it or shuttup.

In reality... who cares?

Grad transfer overall - should not be an exception or common waiver. Sit one year in residence. If your true interest is in a graduate degree, spend two years there, c'mon. FOH with this. Simple

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #2163 on: June 29, 2016, 07:42:13 PM »
Nice. Never seen him play but everything I've read indicates he would be a great addition. Only 2 schools on that list truly scare me. Arizona (duh) and LSU (hometown advantage).

And as Shaq said, LSU pays really well.

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #2164 on: June 29, 2016, 08:10:36 PM »
Theo John interviewed on Channel 5 tonight   16 offers so far.  6'9", 230, and pretty damned athletic.

He breaks up his daily workouts into 5 sessions every day. Kid's a gym rat.

We need him.

Theo just started following Stan so we're good.....'

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #2165 on: June 29, 2016, 08:48:24 PM »
Intraconference - schools still have the power, in form. So, no need to debate it. Exercise it or shuttup.

In reality... who cares?

Grad transfer overall - should not be an exception or common waiver. Sit one year in residence. If your true interest is in a graduate degree, spend two years there, c'mon. FOH with this. Simple

If you're preparing for a life after basketball, instead of putting yourself in a better position to impress NBA scouts, a second year of paid graduate school tuition and expenses should be a blessing.

No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2166 on: June 29, 2016, 09:08:05 PM »
I believe that you are overlooking the rationale for the grad transfer rule.

Let's call it what it is - the majority of grad transfers and VAST majority going to high major programs aren't doing it for the academics.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2167 on: June 29, 2016, 09:20:18 PM »
There is no reasonable rationale for the grad transfer rule.

It's outrageous.

Allow it, but make them sit out a year in residence as all (yeah yeah) transfers do.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2168 on: June 29, 2016, 09:22:07 PM »

It's outrageous.

Allow it, but make them sit out a year in residence as all (yeah yeah) transfers do.

You would be all over someone for making such a false statement.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #2169 on: June 29, 2016, 09:22:51 PM »
Let's call it what it is - the majority of grad transfers and VAST majority going to high major programs aren't doing it for the academics.

By adding limits to the rule to make it more like the regular transfer rules, the NCAA is abandoning the rationale.  If the NCAA abandons the rationale, then the reason for the rule is gone and the rule should disappear conpletely. 

The NCAA is caught in a Catch 22, it would be too difficult to police the transfers for sincerity, so they're just letting all the transfers go through.  As Jay Bee says, individual schools are in a position to police these transfers themselves, but its likely none of them want to face the fallout (hurting recruiting, accusations of taking advantage of students) in order to do so.  It is what it is.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2170 on: June 29, 2016, 09:25:15 PM »
You would be all over someone for making such a false statement.

I qualified it appropriately

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #2171 on: June 29, 2016, 09:25:46 PM »

It's outrageous.

Allowing (ah-hum) student-athletes to study in the field of study of their choice in graduate school is not a reasonable rationale?  Of course, it is.  Now whether that is what is happening in reality is an altogether different question.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2172 on: June 29, 2016, 09:27:48 PM »
Allowing (ah-hum) student-athletes to study in the field of study of their choice in graduate school is not a reasonable rationale?  Of course, it is.  Now whether that is what is happening in reality is an altogether different question.

Even that is not a good reason.

So what?

Sit out a year in residence like every other transfer.

If you wanted to do that study, then go to that school where it's available.

Horrible argument.

"I decided I want to study this, and I graduated in 4 years.. so give me special treatment!!!" FOH

Dawson Rental

• All American
« Reply #2173 on: June 29, 2016, 09:29:10 PM »
Even that is not a good reason.

So what?

Sit out a year in residence like every other transfer.

If you wanted to do that study, then go to that school where it's available.

Horrible argument.

Aren't there one year graduate programs?  Doesn't MU have one in sports leadership or some such thing?

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #2174 on: June 29, 2016, 09:32:39 PM »
Aren't there one year graduate programs?  Doesn't MU have one in sports leadership or some such thing?

YES AND THAT'S WHAT EVERYONE IS AFTER AND THAT IS THE ENTIRE PURPOSE OF THE RULE. IT'S COMPLETELY REASONABLE!!!!!!

feedback