[Today at 07:52:45 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by MarquetteVol
[Today at 07:30:33 PM]

2024 Transfer Portal by Goose
[Today at 07:05:04 PM]

10 years after “Done Deal” … It’s Happening! by Judge Smails
[Today at 07:02:27 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8338568 times)

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
Re: Recruiting as of 6/15/16
« Reply #2125 on: June 27, 2016, 09:31:06 AM »

These are the things that should concern you, and likely concern coaches who look into him.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/barfknecht-family-pressure-not-unusual-but-andrew-white-is-leaving/article_6a64ba92-3bd4-11e6-b8bc-a324f88488e7.html?mode=jqm

Definitely some concerns there, though the was clearly some bitterness by the author. From the very limited view of my armchair, I would take the "enthusiastic" family for a year in exchange for such a talented player at a position of need. But that's why I'm in the armchair and not on the bench
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2126 on: June 27, 2016, 09:32:42 AM »

These are the things that should concern you, and likely concern coaches who look into him.

http://www.omaha.com/huskers/barfknecht-family-pressure-not-unusual-but-andrew-white-is-leaving/article_6a64ba92-3bd4-11e6-b8bc-a324f88488e7.html?mode=jqm

None of that concerns me.

Sounds like a great kid, with a dofus dad who thinks his kid is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Hardly unusual with D1 athletes.
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2127 on: June 27, 2016, 09:35:18 AM »
Definitely some concerns there, though the was clearly some bitterness by the author. From the very limited view of my armchair, I would take the "enthusiastic" family for a year in exchange for such a talented player at a position of need. But that's why I'm in the armchair and not on the bench

That's why I say "concerns."  I don't think it is a reason to dismiss him outright, but the guy was going to be the focal point of the Nebraska offense playing in a highly competitive conference.  Transferring to a place where he has enough talent around him to "win" is likely going to cut into his minutes and numbers.

I just think there would need to be a clear discussion about where a coach sees him fitting and what the player needs to accomplish. 

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2128 on: June 27, 2016, 09:36:14 AM »
None of that concerns me.

Sounds like a great kid, with a dofus dad who thinks his kid is the greatest thing since sliced bread. Hardly unusual with D1 athletes.

It may concern a coach however.  And we have experience with how Wojo feels about doofus parents.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2129 on: June 27, 2016, 09:36:58 AM »
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2130 on: June 27, 2016, 09:49:45 AM »

I do not detect even a hint of bitterness on the part of the author. He is a beat writer who occasionally does analysis pieces. This is an analysis. He is more than fair to the player, and even to the father. He does introduce facts to support a viewpoint -- such as only 2 of 20 scouts believing White has a prayer of playing in the NBA -- because that's what journalists do. In my 30 years as a newspaper guy, I criticized plenty of athletes, coaches, GMs, etc.; I rarely if ever had "bitter" feelings toward any of them. I thought the author did a very nice job in this analysis giving us some insight into White's situation.

I agree with others that before partnering with this young man and his family, the transferred-to school's coach must make sure he understands exactly what White's expectations are and must make sure it fits the overall goal of the program and the personality of the team.

White clearly is looking for a platform to showcase himself. I have no problem with that; recruits do that all the time.

Would Marquette be the right platform for him? Would he be the right fit for Marquette?

To me, those are the two main questions that matter.

I have a feeling that none of us are going to have to worry about this, as I'm not "feeling" it for White at MU. I admit to having zero inside knowledge. Hell, for all I know, Wojo is making it a done deal with White right now!
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2131 on: June 27, 2016, 09:57:13 AM »
I don't watch many Nebraska games, but a co-worker of mine is die hard.  He's pretty bummed today.

He did mention that White is much more of SG than a PF, FWIW.  Still would give MU some much needed size and rebounding.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #2132 on: June 27, 2016, 10:49:41 AM »
I do not detect even a hint of bitterness on the part of the author. He is a beat writer who occasionally does analysis pieces. This is an analysis. He is more than fair to the player, and even to the father. He does introduce facts to support a viewpoint -- such as only 2 of 20 scouts believing White has a prayer of playing in the NBA -- because that's what journalists do. In my 30 years as a newspaper guy, I criticized plenty of athletes, coaches, GMs, etc.; I rarely if ever had "bitter" feelings toward any of them. I thought the author did a very nice job in this analysis giving us some insight into White's situation.

I agree with others that before partnering with this young man and his family, the transferred-to school's coach must make sure he understands exactly what White's expectations are and must make sure it fits the overall goal of the program and the personality of the team.

White clearly is looking for a platform to showcase himself. I have no problem with that; recruits do that all the time.

Would Marquette be the right platform for him? Would he be the right fit for Marquette?

I have a feeling that none of us are going to have to worry about this, as I'm not "feeling" it for White at MU. I admit to having zero inside knowledge. Hell, for all I know, Wojo is making it a done deal with White right now!
Here is article written by another author at the World Herald on White.
  http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/shatel/tom-s-take-andrew-white-s-transfer-serves-as-cautionary/article_0c658d8c-3bec-11e6-af65-b71eb4d151cc.html
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

naginiF

• All American
  • 'and the riot be the rhyme of the unheard'
« Reply #2134 on: June 27, 2016, 11:12:47 AM »

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #2135 on: June 27, 2016, 11:17:12 AM »
Who wants a family like that?  He will ruin the chemistry at MU.  It is one thing to sign Carlino late as you had nothing at that time, White would just create a logjam.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2136 on: June 27, 2016, 11:34:50 AM »
Here is article written by another author at the World Herald on White.
  http://www.omaha.com/huskers/blogs/shatel/tom-s-take-andrew-white-s-transfer-serves-as-cautionary/article_0c658d8c-3bec-11e6-af65-b71eb4d151cc.html

That may be one of the stupidest, most cliched articles I have ever read on transfers.  Topped off by this wonderful conclusion:

"But here’s the thing you learn real quick about transfers.  It’s all about them."

Hoo boy...

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2137 on: June 27, 2016, 11:56:40 AM »

Your opinion is definitely fair and much more informed than mine. I think it was the last line in the article that got me, about him wondering where the Whites' Nebraska pride went. Just seemed like an unnecessary addition.
TAMU

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #2138 on: June 27, 2016, 09:50:57 PM »
So I heard this today http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1680849-asu-mading-part-ways

So is Stan Johnson on this dude since his cousin is now the 10th overall pick in the draft and a MKE Buck?

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2139 on: June 27, 2016, 10:21:50 PM »
So I heard this today http://www.scout.com/college/basketball/recruiting/story/1680849-asu-mading-part-ways

So is Stan Johnson on this dude since his cousin is now the 10th overall pick in the draft and a MKE Buck?

We had interest in this big before...

Daniel Mading and Arizona State are parting ways, he told SNY.tv on Wednesday evening.

The No. 8 center in the Class of 2017 according to 247Sports.com and the cousin of heralded big man Thon Maker, Mading committed to Arizona State and head coach Bobby Hurley back in December. Mading spent last season at St. Anthony's under Naismith Hall of Fame coach Bob Hurley Sr.
A native of the Sudan who grew up in Australia, as did Maker, Mading was also being courted by Wake Forest, Missouri, Marquette and LSU at the time of his commitment.
TAMU

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2140 on: June 28, 2016, 01:34:35 AM »
Now there's an author with bitterness.

Again, I don't see bitterness.

The guy is a columnist. It's his job to opine and to try to do so in a compelling way. A columnist wants to make readers nod their heads in agreement or get a little pissed off or emote in some way.

I don't think it was a very well-written piece. It's filled with cliches and it seems as though it was written off the top of his head in about a half-hour. The conclusion is dopey, even if there is some truth to it. It's dopey because for many non-transfers it's all about them and for some transfers it isn't all about them. It's a sweeping generalization, and those are rarely good form in writing.

But ...

The only way the writer would be "bitter" would be if he  cares deeply about Nebraska basketball and feels personally burned in some way by White. Most columnists are not wired that way.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #2141 on: June 28, 2016, 01:35:23 AM »
Your opinion is definitely fair and much more informed than mine. I think it was the last line in the article that got me, about him wondering where the Whites' Nebraska pride went. Just seemed like an unnecessary addition.

Thanks TAMU, I appreciate it. And I agree about the last line.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2142 on: June 28, 2016, 08:49:18 AM »

That would be great, but I worry that if this happened Bobby Hurley may put a price on Stan's head.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #2143 on: June 28, 2016, 08:55:23 AM »
I'm not sure how much Stan had to do with his recruitment at ASU.  He committed in December 2015 and Stan had been out of there for about seven or eight months by that point.  I think that was much more of a Hurley to Hurley connection than anything else.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #2144 on: June 28, 2016, 09:18:47 AM »
If Mading has a similar background to Thon, we could be adding a 21 year old freshman.  8-)

We R Final Four

• All American
« Reply #2145 on: June 28, 2016, 09:50:00 AM »
That would be great, but I worry that if this happened Bobby Hurley may put a price on Stan's head.
Why? He is leaving ASU--he is not playing for Hurley no matter where he goes, so I don't think Hurley gives a sheet where he ends up whether it be LSU or MU.

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #2146 on: June 28, 2016, 09:53:33 AM »
Why? He is leaving ASU--he is not playing for Hurley no matter where he goes, so I don't think Hurley gives a sheet where he ends up whether it be LSU or MU.

Considering Stan has already gotten 2 of Hurley's best recruits to commit to MU after decommitting from ASU...
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2147 on: June 29, 2016, 11:19:27 AM »
Andrew White would take us from bubble to top 25 easy.

Hearing NC State and Michigan are current leaders for his services from some back channel sources.

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #2148 on: June 29, 2016, 12:16:39 PM »
Hearing NC State and Michigan are current leaders for his services from some back channel sources.

I'd be surprised if we were influenced. Better chance with Bola.

What's with big 10 kids intraconfrence grad transferring? Would be the second one this year and 4th or 5th in the last three
TAMU

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #2149 on: June 29, 2016, 12:57:51 PM »
I'd be surprised if we were influenced. Better chance with Bola.

What's with big 10 kids intraconfrence grad transferring? Would be the second one this year and 4th or 5th in the last three

Yah, its bizarre. You'd think the B10 would put an end to that as it could result in coaches recruiting other teams guys.  Seems assbackwards.

feedback