[Today at 12:59:15 PM]

Tyler Kolek's "legacy" by Newsdreams
[Today at 12:37:27 PM]

NC State by Sturgeon General Warrior
[Today at 12:34:46 PM]

Dallas bars tonite by Oldgym
[Today at 12:14:42 PM]

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8337437 times)

Jay Bee

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 5/15
« Reply #1700 on: May 23, 2016, 06:35:41 PM »
We have three double digit scorers returning, which is a lot. Most teams have only one, two is common and there might be half of dozen teams in the country having 3 returning double digit scorers.

This is complete nonsense and contradicted by facts. Not only do we have four double digit scorers set to return, the claim that "there might be half of (sic) dozen teams in the country having 3 returning double digit scorers" is so factually wrong that it's shocking you'd even try to make such a claim. Just idiotic.

Just off the top, X, Seton Hall, MU, Creighton all probably will have at least 3 returners who avg'd 10 or more last season.. so 4 of the 6 in the nation all from the BEast? lol, get real.

Opinions and thoughts are one thing.. but when you try to throw out numbers and stats that are just baseless and wrong, it's a real disservice to the board, imo. Not everyone can read what you wrote and easily identify it as outlandish and obviously incorrect.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1701 on: May 23, 2016, 07:00:30 PM »
Matt does not need to score. We have three double digit scorers returning, which is a lot. Most teams have only one, two is common and there might be half of dozen teams in the country having 3 returning double digit scorers. JJJ was also close to averaging double digits. Reinhardt averaged double digits the last two years and Rowsey averaged almost 20 points a game.
JJJ averaged 10.2. So we have four. Luke, Duane, Haanif and JJJ.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66169/jajuan-johnson

I still think we need Matt to be a threat to score. Otherwise we are back to 4 on 5 ball from the bad old days of 2013 through 2015. Also known as the Derrick Wilson Era.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

GB Warrior

• All American
« Reply #1702 on: May 23, 2016, 07:03:01 PM »
JJJ averaged 10.2. So we have four. Luke, Duane, Haanif and JJJ.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/player/_/id/66169/jajuan-johnson

I still think we need Matt to be a threat to score. Otherwise we are back to 4 on 5 ball from the bad old days of 2013 through 2015. Also known as the Derrick Wilson Era.

The difference is that you can't sag off a guy whose shots are going to routinely be within feet of the basket.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1703 on: May 23, 2016, 07:07:05 PM »
The difference is that you can't sag off a guy whose shots are going to routinely be within feet of the basket.
Correct, but he still has to maneuver himself to be in that position and pose the threat.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #1704 on: May 23, 2016, 10:25:02 PM »
Correct, but he still has to maneuver himself to be in that position and pose the threat.

Thompson and Biyombo disagree.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #1705 on: May 23, 2016, 10:33:19 PM »

Bill Paxton Rivals.com

Sometimes a tip pays off.

Mass Rivals coach Vinny Pastore was told he needed to check out a 6-foot-10 power forward at The Winchendon (Mass.) School who was flying under the radar, so he did.

Meet Makhtar Gueye.

The Nigerian big man is quickly making a name for himself with Pastore’s AAU squad and the college offers are starting to accumulate, including UConn and Louisville. The Huskies made an offer at the end of April and are also after two of Gueye’s teammates, guard Makai Ashton-Langford and Class of 2018 guard A.J. Reeves.

Texas, Florida, Marquette, Creighton, VCU and Rutgers are among some of the other schools currently pursuing Gueye.

“I got lucky when I found him,” Pastore said.

That could be the same case for whomever lands Gueye at the collegiate level. Despite only playing basketball for a couple years, the power forward has proven to be a quick study in the game even though he has yet to crack the top 150 rankings for the Class of 2017.

“He’s very skilled, but he’s just learning how to play in a competitive environment,” Pastore said.

The competition with Mass Rivals figures to give Gueye a healthy dose of play at the next level this summer. In addition to experience, Gueye could also use a few more pounds on his 200-pound frame.

“He needs to get stronger,” Pastore said.

While Gueye might need to add some girth, he has a huge upside with his size and athletic ability along with a great motor.

The Huskies have several big men coming in this year withcenter Juwan Durham (31st) and power forward Mamadou Diarra (142nd) part of a five-player freshmen class. Also onboard is sophomore-to-be Steve Enoch, the program will lose forward Kentan Facey after next season and center Amida Brimah may or may not return for his final season depending on if he stays in the NBA draft.

“He’s definitely a ‘4 (man),” Pastore said. “But he can put it on the floor and make the three (pointers).”

Gueye figures to be busy this summer with Mass Rivals and Pastore said he likely won’t start looking at schools seriously until the end of the summer at the earliest.

“He’s new to the whole process,” Pastore said.

With center Zach Brown decommitting from UConn, Kevin Ollie and the Huskies have not locked up anyone for the Class of 2017 yet. In addition to Facey, the Huskies will also lose senior guard Rodney Purvis and possibly Brimah after the season, so they will have several openings.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #1706 on: May 23, 2016, 10:39:58 PM »

Bill Paxton Rivals.com

Sometimes a tip pays off.

Mass Rivals coach Vinny Pastore was told he needed to check out a 6-foot-10 power forward at The Winchendon (Mass.) School who was flying under the radar, so he did.

Meet Makhtar Gueye.

The Nigerian big man is quickly making a name for himself with Pastore’s AAU squad and the college offers are starting to accumulate, including UConn and Louisville. The Huskies made an offer at the end of April and are also after two of Gueye’s teammates, guard Makai Ashton-Langford and Class of 2018 guard A.J. Reeves.

Texas, Florida, Marquette, Creighton, VCU and Rutgers are among some of the other schools currently pursuing Gueye.

“I got lucky when I found him,” Pastore said.

That could be the same case for whomever lands Gueye at the collegiate level. Despite only playing basketball for a couple years, the power forward has proven to be a quick study in the game even though he has yet to crack the top 150 rankings for the Class of 2017.

“He’s very skilled, but he’s just learning how to play in a competitive environment,” Pastore said.

The competition with Mass Rivals figures to give Gueye a healthy dose of play at the next level this summer. In addition to experience, Gueye could also use a few more pounds on his 200-pound frame.

“He needs to get stronger,” Pastore said.

While Gueye might need to add some girth, he has a huge upside with his size and athletic ability along with a great motor.

The Huskies have several big men coming in this year withcenter Juwan Durham (31st) and power forward Mamadou Diarra (142nd) part of a five-player freshmen class. Also onboard is sophomore-to-be Steve Enoch, the program will lose forward Kentan Facey after next season and center Amida Brimah may or may not return for his final season depending on if he stays in the NBA draft.

“He’s definitely a ‘4 (man),” Pastore said. “But he can put it on the floor and make the three (pointers).”

Gueye figures to be busy this summer with Mass Rivals and Pastore said he likely won’t start looking at schools seriously until the end of the summer at the earliest.

“He’s new to the whole process,” Pastore said.

With center Zach Brown decommitting from UConn, Kevin Ollie and the Huskies have not locked up anyone for the Class of 2017 yet. In addition to Facey, the Huskies will also lose senior guard Rodney Purvis and possibly Brimah after the season, so they will have several openings.
This is an excellent prospect. Hopefully he has enough  academic credits.
                       ---Al McGuire

Blackhat

• All American
« Reply #1707 on: May 23, 2016, 10:42:22 PM »
He looks a little like Ousmane.   Hopefully he's a little more coordinated.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1708 on: May 24, 2016, 07:08:25 AM »
Looks like Mbao.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #1709 on: May 24, 2016, 07:50:21 AM »
Already got a cheese named after him, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1710 on: May 24, 2016, 07:52:09 AM »
Already got a cheese named after him, hey?

He'd be a gouda addition.

TSmith34, Inc.

• All American
« Reply #1711 on: May 24, 2016, 10:23:49 AM »
If you think for one second that I am comparing the USA to China you have bumped your hard.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #1712 on: May 24, 2016, 10:27:23 AM »
I agree that if down by 2, take out all the bigs and play your best 5 shooters, even if Luke is in there, I would like to go thru Luke and let him find an open man.  I was more impressed today with Howards dunk, looks like he has some hops.  Gets up more than Butch did.  The team should definitely be better shooters than last here, and
the court was always off kilter when Henry shot a three, no rebounding at all.  At Henry might have made 1 out of every 4.  This year hoping for 2 out of 4, and that is
not out of the question.

Shooting threes at a 50% clip not out of the question?  Whatta you, nuts?  It's a rare team that can hit 50% on two, or 40% on threes.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #1713 on: May 24, 2016, 10:30:24 AM »
Shooting threes at a 50% clip not out of the question?  Whatta you, nuts?  It's a rare team that can hit 50% on two, or 40% on threes.

I was a little over the top on that, glad you picked up on that but 35-40 percent is what MU will need to win this year.  Henry shot below 30% so hopefully they
can improve on that.

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #1714 on: May 24, 2016, 10:40:44 AM »

Your definition of "rare" may be rare.

Half of the 1 seeds & half of the 2 seeds in this year's tourney AVERAGED better than 40% 3FG%.

...and 117 teams, or one-third of all D-I teams, AVERAGED 50% or higher 2FG%.

Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #1715 on: May 24, 2016, 11:46:42 AM »
Your definition of "rare" may be rare.

Half of the 1 seeds & half of the 2 seeds in this year's tourney AVERAGED better than 40% 3FG%.

...and 117 teams, or one-third of all D-I teams, AVERAGED 50% or higher 2FG%.

Half the top eight teams in the country out of 351 shot 40% or better on threes?  I'll stick to rare on that. 

117 teams shot better than 50% on 2FGs? 

You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

JamilJaeJamailJrJuan

• All American
  • Js for days
« Reply #1716 on: May 24, 2016, 01:17:53 PM »
This is complete nonsense and contradicted by facts. Not only do we have four double digit scorers set to return, the claim that "there might be half of (sic) dozen teams in the country having 3 returning double digit scorers" is so factually wrong that it's shocking you'd even try to make such a claim. Just idiotic.

Just off the top, X, Seton Hall, MU, Creighton all probably will have at least 3 returners who avg'd 10 or more last season.. so 4 of the 6 in the nation all from the BEast? lol, get real.

Opinions and thoughts are one thing.. but when you try to throw out numbers and stats that are just baseless and wrong, it's a real disservice to the board, imo. Not everyone can read what you wrote and easily identify it as outlandish and obviously incorrect.

I support this analysis.

Honestly though, great post!
I would take the Rick SLU program right now.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #1717 on: May 24, 2016, 10:02:27 PM »
Last year per Athlon Sports ( which only shows stats for teams in top conferences or teams outside of those like Gonzaga that are consider top programs)
Florida St 3
North Carolina 4
Notre Dame 3
SMU 3
Davidison 3
Richmond 3
Iowa St 4
Butler 3
DePaul 3
Xavier 3
Indiana 3
Michigan 3
Northwestern 3
Utah St 3
California 3
UCLA 3
USC 3
Out of 93 teams listed by Athlon going into last season 15 teams had 3 double digit scorers returning and two teams had four double digit scorers returning, so I should of said 4 instead of three is about a half of dozen. Haanif, Wilson, Fischer and JJJ puts us in rare territory.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2016, 10:05:48 PM by bilsu »

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1718 on: May 25, 2016, 11:55:01 AM »
Here's a big to go after (longshot, I know)

SportsCenter (@SportsCenter)
Kentucky F Marcus Lee is removing his name from the 2016 NBA Draft and plans to transfer to another school.

MUMonster03

• All American
« Reply #1719 on: May 25, 2016, 12:11:46 PM »
Here's a big to go after (longshot, I know)

SportsCenter (@SportsCenter)
Kentucky F Marcus Lee is removing his name from the 2016 NBA Draft and plans to transfer to another school.

More like no shot, reason for transferring is he wants to be closer to home (CA). Milwaukee isn't much closer to CA than Lexington.

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #1720 on: May 25, 2016, 12:14:42 PM »
This has all indications of a cut by Cal.  (Which I don't think is a bad thing.) 

Pakuni

• All American
« Reply #1721 on: May 25, 2016, 12:18:14 PM »
More like no shot, reason for transferring is he wants to be closer to home (CA). Milwaukee isn't much closer to CA than Lexington.

Reason for transfer is he needs to up his NBA stock and won't get the playing time to do so at Kentucky. The guy didn't suddenly get homesick after three years in Lexington.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #1722 on: May 25, 2016, 12:24:46 PM »
Returning non-NBAers could be a fruitful market as has been discussed in a variety of forums.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #1723 on: May 25, 2016, 12:28:09 PM »
Reason for transfer is he needs to up his NBA stock and won't get the playing time to do so at Kentucky. The guy didn't suddenly get homesick after three years in Lexington.

This makes more senses, and with more playing at his new school he may stick out like a Star.  Hopefully he might be influenced by Henry's year at MU.
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #1724 on: May 25, 2016, 12:45:54 PM »
Returning non-NBAers could be a fruitful market as has been discussed in a variety of forums.

Hey jsglo , since Bruno Fernando is returning to HS should he be added to the 17-18 list and maybe Wojo can try again?
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust