Joplin1

'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8336702 times)

mr.MUskie

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 1/15
« Reply #325 on: February 08, 2016, 01:07:29 AM »
I posted this in the 4 spot thread. But Carrawell was out to see Kalif Young last night. The 6'9, 265 PF from Canada for 2016 class. Ed Cooley and 3 assistants were front and center, Prov offered last month. Duke, Syracuse, and others have been watching him lately.

Edit -- sounds like MU has offered now. Would be a nice fit in the big east. Hopefully not for Prov

http://youtu.be/WWrFxjNDhU8

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
Re: Recruiting as of 2/1
« Reply #326 on: February 08, 2016, 12:06:28 PM »
I don't follow recruits as closely as many of you guys, but the impression that I've gotten is that Brendan Bailey and Sam Hauser are similar players.  Can anyone compare and contrast?  (Blue book optional)

I think there's some accuracy to that right now, but I think they project as very different players.

First, Sam is a better shooter. He is a good decision maker that takes the right shots and knows how to free himself, getting good position for an open shot. Bailey can shoot, but he's more streaky. Next, size-wise, they both have that lanky wing look to them now, but I think Sam projects as a spot-up shooting small forward/wing whereas the hope is Bailey will grow another inch or two (6'8" now, his dad was 6'11") and fill out. In 2-3 years, my guess is Bailey will be playing the stretch 4 role. Then there's the basketball IQ/athleticism comparisons. I think Sam is a better decision maker currently and does a better job of finding his spots on the court, though he's not necessarily a great athlete (he's a good one, but not jump off the page good). Bailey has great athleticism, but still needs work on shot selection. At times, Bailey looks like the son of a top-10 NBA pick. He'll need to work on doing that consistently and getting his play to mirror his raw ability level.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

Jet915

• Starter
« Reply #327 on: February 08, 2016, 01:32:22 PM »
Creighton just landed a top 30-50 overall SG for class of 2017 tonight who had a Kansas offer.

Didn't see that coming

Surprised as well but we have been recruiting him since he was in 8th grade.  Mitchell Ballock is #43 on ESPN and had offers from Kansas, Oklahoma, Indiana to name a few.  He joins Ty-Shon Alexander who is another SG for 2017 and who is #44 on ESPN.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #328 on: February 08, 2016, 01:37:49 PM »
Surprised as well but we have been recruiting him since he was in 8th grade.  Mitchell Ballock is #43 on ESPN and had offers from Kansas, Oklahoma, Indiana to name a few.  He joins Ty-Shon Alexander who is another SG for 2017 and who is #44 on ESPN.

Damn. McDermott putting in work over there for you guys. Already two top 50 kids for 2017. New Big east continues to take steps forward

MU82

• All American
« Reply #329 on: February 08, 2016, 01:41:31 PM »
FWIW (probably not much), I knew Thurl Bailey fairly well when we were both in Minnesota. Real class act, and I'm guessing Brendan is, too.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #331 on: February 08, 2016, 04:25:27 PM »
see above

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #332 on: February 08, 2016, 04:49:41 PM »
Marquette offered Jordan Bowden today. 2016 recruit.

Very intriguing prospect. High ceiling kid. At this moment, MU & Utah his top offers

HoopsterBC

• All American
« Reply #333 on: February 08, 2016, 05:08:27 PM »
Very intriguing prospect. High ceiling kid. At this moment, MU & Utah his top offers

Glad to see there turning every stone over to fine some players!  One thing MU budget is huge, that helps.

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #334 on: February 08, 2016, 05:12:44 PM »
Glad to see there turning every stone over to fine some players!  One thing MU budget is huge, that helps.

Wojo is watching him today per Brian Snow

247 profile: http://247sports.com/Player/Jordan-Bowden-88234
« Last Edit: February 08, 2016, 05:21:04 PM by WarriorPride68 »

PGsHeroes32

• All American
« Reply #335 on: February 08, 2016, 05:25:29 PM »
Another guard?
Lazar picking up where the BIG 3 left off....

Lennys Tap

• All American
« Reply #336 on: February 08, 2016, 06:07:51 PM »

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #337 on: February 08, 2016, 06:33:00 PM »
People leaving?

I wonder if M.Howard is staying in 2017 or (hopefully not) eliminated Marquette?

Kalif Young & Jordan Bowden both picked up MU offers in recent days

forgetful

• All American
« Reply #338 on: February 08, 2016, 06:50:13 PM »
People leaving?

My guess is that Henry going pro and Wally focusing on high jump will leave us with two spots open next year. 

One is reserved for Howard, if he reclassifies and chooses MU in April.

The other goes to best available 2016 and/or a graduate transfer.

Litehouse

• All American
« Reply #339 on: February 08, 2016, 07:29:33 PM »
Why would Wally leave next year and focus on high jump?  Next olympics would be in 2020, so plenty of time to train after he's done playing.

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #340 on: February 08, 2016, 08:55:35 PM »
Damn. McDermott putting in work over there for you guys. Already two top 50 kids for 2017. New Big east continues to take steps forward
Creighton has a lot to offer recruits. Sold out arena, Big East exposure, commitment and tradition etc. Maurice Watson cited these reasons specifically when he transferred to Creighton from Boston University.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

ChicosBailBonds

• All American
  • #AllInnocentLivesMatter
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #341 on: February 08, 2016, 09:22:08 PM »
My guess is that Henry going pro and Wally focusing on high jump will leave us with two spots open next year. 

One is reserved for Howard, if he reclassifies and chooses MU in April.

The other goes to best available 2016 and/or a graduate transfer.

Wally will be playing hoops next year, unless you are aware of something else going on.

bilsu

• All American
« Reply #342 on: February 08, 2016, 09:49:05 PM »
Creighton has a lot to offer recruits. Sold out arena, Big East exposure, commitment and tradition etc. Maurice Watson cited these reasons specifically when he transferred to Creighton from Boston University.
I am not sure how it plays into recruiting overall, but going to the New Big East was a step up for Creighton and something they can sell to recruits. MU going to the New Big East was a step down for them and I am not sure how you sell it.

MU82

• All American
« Reply #343 on: February 08, 2016, 10:07:40 PM »
I am not sure how it plays into recruiting overall, but going to the New Big East was a step up for Creighton and something they can sell to recruits. MU going to the New Big East was a step down for them and I am not sure how you sell it.

Well, the current freshmen ARE part of MU's highest-rated recruiting class since well before we were in the old BE, and this year's recruiting class is already ranked in the top 25, so I guess Wojo has been able to sell it OK.
“It’s not how white men fight.” - Tucker Carlson

WarriorPride68

• All American
« Reply #344 on: February 08, 2016, 10:30:10 PM »
Kalif Young sounds not to far off from getting a Syracuse offer. Providence offered awhile back & had 3 coaches including Ed Cooley at his games over the weekend, the same which Carrawell attended.

If Wojo can haul him in. Everyone should be very impressed

Herman Cain

• All American
  • 9-9-9
« Reply #345 on: February 08, 2016, 10:31:10 PM »
Creighton is definitely taking good advantage of the Big East. It is not only helping the school in a basketball sense but it is helping its overall reputation as it is now in a league with more respected academic schools versus being in the Missouri Valley.

I think as the Big East presently configured solidifies over time, it becomes an increasingly attractive option for recruiting. All of the schools are attractive to student athletes in a general sense. Then add in the primary commitment to basketball each school has and the success of the teams and individuals involved it makes the selling proposition compelling.

Also I don't think for Marquette it was a step down. Yes there were some well recognized opponents in the old league, But also a lot of dogs. Also remember the marquee teams had all left the old league already  prior to the creation of the new league. Syracuse , Pitt, Notre Dame, Louisville, West  Virginia to go to the ACC or Big Twelve. We had no say in that matter. We did not trade down from that league, it imploded around us.

The Big East ,which we would have been a member of,  is now the American.  That league  which would have had U Conn, Cincy, Memphis , SMU but also ECU , UCF, South Florida, Tulane etc and the Catholic 7 .No one is disputing that the Big East is a better  performing conference than the American. So by leaving that league and forming our new league,I think we are better off recruiting

In many respects , I prefer the new structure as it is more closely aligned to what the Big East was when it originally started and first developed its reputation.  The way the league is configured now, MU can put together a high quality non conference (if we want to) and have a very competitive conference season playing several highly ranked teams multiple times a year. If a kid is thinking about the next level, all they have to look at is the number of scouts that come to our games to watch guys like Henry , Kris Dunn etc.

The quality of the recruits across the board in the league is high. This is due to many factors but in no small part because we have a league with a clear and focused identity. Each year we are going to keep getting better as a league which has a circular effect of making it attractive for recruiting.
Winning is overrated. The only time it is really important is in surgery and war.
                       ---Al McGuire

TAMU, Knower of Ball

• All American
  • Meat Eater certified
« Reply #346 on: February 09, 2016, 07:04:22 AM »
I wonder if M.Howard is staying in 2017 or (hopefully not) eliminated Marquette?

Kalif Young & Jordan Bowden both picked up MU offers in recent days

No.

As a coach, you are always recruiting. Even after all your scholarships are filled. Bowden and Young getting offers have nothing to do with Markus Howard. Especially since they both play a different position than he does.

"Offer" is a very misleading term. Really means nothing more than the coach has verbally committed to being interested in a recruit. A recruit could "accept an offer" and the coach could still say "no, I'm not going to take you yet."
TAMU

I do know, Newsie is right on you knowing ball.

muballbuster

• Walk-On
« Reply #347 on: February 09, 2016, 07:56:46 AM »
Check Jordan Bowden Twitter and Kalif Young's Twitter as of the last 24 hours.

Jordan Bowden (@JordyBow3)

Kalif Young (@youngkalif13)

Some MU chatter!
« Last Edit: February 09, 2016, 08:02:29 AM by muballbuster »

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #348 on: February 09, 2016, 08:11:57 AM »
Bowden is interesting because he really is a late bloomer. He had two huge growth spurts. He was only 4'9" in seventh grade, but by his sophomore year had grown to 5'10". Thought he was done growing, then started feeling knee pain that preceded a second spurt up to 6'5". Might be one of those kids who developed the handle of a PG with the size of a SG/SF.

Not saying he's Anthony Davis, but maybe he can get one more spurt up to 6'10"? ;D
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

MUfan12

• All American
« Reply #349 on: February 09, 2016, 08:59:37 AM »
Watched some video on Bowden last night... his tape from HS reminded me a little of Jajuan as a high schooler. He's filled out quite a bit between his SR year and Prep year, and his footwork on his jumper is much improved.

feedback