'22-23
'21-22 * '20-21 * '19-20
'18-19 * '17-18 * '16-17
'15-16 * '14-15 * '13-14
'12-13 * '11-12 * '10-11

* Big East Standings

* Recent Posts

Please Register - It's FREE!

The absolute only thing required for this FREE registration is a valid e-mail address.  We keep all your information confidential and will NEVER give or sell it to anyone else.
Login to get rid of this box (and ads) , or register NOW!

* Next up: NC State

Marquette
Marquette vs

NC State

Date/Time: Mar 29, 2024, 6:09 pm
TV: CBS
Schedule for 2023-24
Colorado

Author Topic: Recruiting as of 3/15/24  (Read 8336434 times)

Dr. Blackheart

• All American
Re: Recruiting as of 8/15
« Reply #125 on: August 29, 2015, 09:30:26 AM »
So he gets a religious waiver from the five year rule?

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #126 on: August 29, 2015, 10:38:03 AM »

And he won't be counted as on scholarship for the basketball program while on his mission?
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #127 on: August 29, 2015, 10:47:00 AM »

No.. in a BB situation where a kid goes on a mission before enrolling (as defined, including attending first day of fall classes), the five-year clock doesn't start until he's back from the mission and 'enrolled'
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #128 on: August 29, 2015, 11:07:44 AM »
That allows the school unlimited contact with the player that wouldn't be allowed without a LOI in place.

The problem is that LDS Missionaries are not allowed any contact beyond their mission-specific responsibilities. The only exception is that a missionary is allowed to contact his/her mother twice a year - on Mother's Day and Christmas.

So unless Wojo is a missionaries mother they aren't speaking for two years. 

Death on call

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #129 on: August 29, 2015, 12:04:52 PM »
The problem is that LDS Missionaries are not allowed any contact beyond their mission-specific responsibilities. The only exception is that a missionary is allowed to contact his/her mother twice a year - on Mother's Day and Christmas.

So Wojo is going to adopt him and go transgender?

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #130 on: August 29, 2015, 12:38:06 PM »

I'll admit I know very little about missions. Heard part of the reason is to ensure other schools can't contact the kid, though I doubt any of the other coaches are missionaries mothers either ;D

Definitely not my field of expertise, but as Jay Bee indicated, he's effectively a 2016 that doesn't count or play until 2018.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #131 on: August 29, 2015, 01:28:39 PM »
I'll admit I know very little about missions. Heard part of the reason is to ensure other schools can't contact the kid, though I doubt any of the other coaches are missionaries mothers either ;D

Definitely not my field of expertise, but as Jay Bee indicated, he's effectively a 2016 that doesn't count or play until 2018.

Your point is well taken, Brew. Living out west we have a much higher concentration of LDS and therefore have more insight into the nuances of their faith. When missionaries embark on their work they are expected to focus on that and nothing else.

I understand that missionaries only recently have been authorized the use of email but that is limited to the periodic Preparation Day (P Day which is actually only 8 hours of that day) and can only be to family or their Mission President and restricted to an LDS network. The rub is that missionaries cannot use any electronics, including personal computers, so they need to make arrangements for email through their Church hierarchy. In effect, missionaries are authorized email privileges under very specific guidelines that, in fact, means they cannot send emails.   

Death on call

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #132 on: August 29, 2015, 01:35:10 PM »

Sorry if this has been answered up thread, but after 1 year if he wants/has to cut the mission short (Family illness, Home sick…etc) is he immediately eligible by the NCAA?    Maybe some  Church issues
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #133 on: August 29, 2015, 01:53:57 PM »
Not all LDS kids go on missions.  In fact I believe it's less than half.  And I am sure some cut them short, but I hope if goes he doesn't do that.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #134 on: August 29, 2015, 02:09:07 PM »
Not all LDS kids go on missions.  In fact I believe it's less than half.  And I am sure some cut them short, but I hope if goes he doesn't do that.

I think you are right that it is less than half of eligible males. In recent years the numbers have spiked as they authorized and then actively began promoting missions by women.

Death on call

Jay Bee

• All American
« Reply #135 on: August 29, 2015, 02:51:07 PM »

Sorry if this has been answered up thread, but after 1 year if he wants/has to cut the mission short (Family illness, Home sick…etc) is he immediately eligible by the NCAA?    Maybe some  Church issues

Yes. After one year he also can request to be released from the NLI via the AD. (Anyone can request... but this situation is spelled out)

No one is committed until they start taking fall classes. That's the reality.
Thanks for ruining summer, Canada.

4everwarriors

• All American
« Reply #136 on: August 29, 2015, 03:54:41 PM »
I think you are right that it is less than half of eligible males. In recent years the numbers have spiked as they authorized and then actively began promoting missions by women.

So, are they then positioned as missionary women, hey?
"Give 'Em Hell, Al"

Dawson Rental

• All American
  • I prefer a team that's eligible, not paid for
« Reply #137 on: August 29, 2015, 05:49:04 PM »
Yes. After one year he also can request to be released from the NLI via the AD. (Anyone can request... but this situation is spelled out)

Wow, I thought that if someone didn't show up at the school at all for what would have been their first year that they could go anywhere the next year without restriction.  I guess that people talk that way since the release from the AD is routinely granted.

On a related note, how can anyone sign a NLI while on a Mormon mission given the restrictions that are made regarding their contact with the outside world during their mission?  I'm assuming that the mission wold start prior to the signing date.
You actually have a degree from Marquette?

Quote from: muguru
No...and after reading many many psosts from people on this board that do...I have to say I'm MUCH better off, if this is the type of "intelligence" a degree from MU gets you. It sure is on full display I will say that.

Loose Cannon

• All American
  • Voltaire says Hi
« Reply #138 on: August 29, 2015, 06:57:55 PM »

Thank you
" Love is Space and Time measured by the Heart. "  M Proust

brewcity77

• All American
  • Warning-This poster may trigger thin skinned users
    • Cracked Sidewalks
« Reply #139 on: August 29, 2015, 07:08:35 PM »
On a related note, how can anyone sign a NLI while on a Mormon mission given the restrictions that are made regarding their contact with the outside world during their mission?  I'm assuming that the mission wold start prior to the signing date.

The NLI is signed before the mission. So Bailey would sign with Marquette, finish his senior year of high school, go on the mission for two years (technically as a member of the Marquette basketball team, but without counting against scholarship limits or apparently having any team communication), then return and enroll at Marquette as a student in 2018. Generally players prefer to sign before the mission because their stock will almost assuredly drop if coaches don't get to watch them play for two years.
This space reserved for a 2024 National Championship celebration banner.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #140 on: August 29, 2015, 07:38:22 PM »
If the Marquette coaches are still trying to stay involved with Coffey, wouldn't it be more than a little concerning that an official visit hasn't been scheduled?  In line for an in-home?
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

wadesworld

• All American
« Reply #141 on: August 29, 2015, 07:48:32 PM »
If the Marquette coaches are still trying to stay involved with Coffey, wouldn't it be more than a little concerning that an official visit hasn't been scheduled?  In line for an in-home?

Respect the process.
Rocket Trigger Warning (wild that saying this would trigger anyone, but it's the world we live in): Black Lives Matter

GGGG

• All American
« Reply #142 on: August 29, 2015, 07:52:55 PM »

The key word is "if."  With Mark Miller changing his prediction, it makes you wonder if something has changed.

TedBaxter

• All American
« Reply #143 on: August 29, 2015, 08:17:45 PM »
Respect the process.

I understand the recruiting process as well as anyone here.  I also understand that Wojo has played with and has recruited top 50 recruits since he's been 18 and will know when the cards just aren't there.
If You Aren't All In For Marquette Basketball, Move On

muhoops1

• All American
« Reply #144 on: August 29, 2015, 11:22:12 PM »

That is correct.  We have a graduating Sr in my son's class that opted out.  It is difficult on the families when a child does this as it is a critical step in their faith.

keefe

• All American
  • "Death From Above"
« Reply #145 on: August 30, 2015, 01:35:08 PM »
That is correct.  We have a graduating Sr in my son's class that opted out.  It is difficult on the families when a child does this as it is a critical step in their faith.

There is considerable pressure on LDS kids to go on a mission. Because missionaries must pay for the mission themselves families often set up 'mission' savings accounts. The LDS Church also demands that families tithe, patronize Mormon, and vote Mormon.

When a young man opts out of his mission responsibility not only he but his family have some 'splainin' to do

Death on call

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #146 on: August 30, 2015, 02:36:09 PM »
So did Lamar go to Pitt or not this weekend?

MuMark

• All American
« Reply #147 on: August 30, 2015, 05:06:48 PM »
No

Juan Anderson's Mixtape

• All American
« Reply #148 on: August 31, 2015, 01:31:14 PM »
With Jayce Johnson cutting his list to 5 and MU not on it, looks like it's down to Coffey and Stevens for 2016.  Bailey is technically 2016 too but with mission plans that puts him at 2018 for scholarship purposes.

Stevens has MU as his only scheduled official right now.  I am optimistic we land him.  We'll see if Coffey visits.  I have a hunch Texas could steal a commit when he visits there.  Just my gut instinct, no knowledge.

jsglow

• All American
« Reply #149 on: August 31, 2015, 01:55:11 PM »
I'll disagree. I think Wojo can have Kostas if he decided to extend an offer.

feedback